• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Can someone make the background of my avatar transparent? Paint sucks. :(
Because she's Hiyoko and she's messed in the head. Everything she's saying there is literal.
because Hiyoko is the dirt worst
You're looking to much into it.

It's Hiyoki. She's naturally acerbic and that's probably just her way of expressing her excitement.
Huh, I guess that's true.
Not everyone can become Ultimate Despair without actually going through despair like Hiyoko.

But it's mostly probably because her sense of what is appropriate for a memorial is no where close to anyone sane's would be. She thinks she's doing a good thing (and yes there is good intentions) and she's probably thinking everyone would have been amazed that anyone bothered even making a memorial in the first place.
I see, gotcha!
also yay, we're a family now!
A family involving murders!

Saionji_%287%29.png

I mean, she's talking about Mahiru's memorial, right? Then why she does acts so mischievious during this scene like it's something horrible the other weirdos would like? Can someone explain me the context of this scene? I must have missed something out.

Edit: Oh my, we're now in the Community section!

Not everyone can become Ultimate Despair without actually going through despair like Hiyoko.

But it's mostly probably because her sense of what is appropriate for a memorial is no where close to anyone sane's would be. She thinks she's doing a good thing (and yes there is good intentions) and she's probably thinking everyone would have been amazed that anyone bothered even making a memorial in the first place.

apparently DR2 sold 12,000 copies here last month, welp

well we know PSN sales aren't accounted for (so my digital copy doesn't count). Hell, we don't even know if copies bought from the NISA's online store even count (so my LE might not count either). It must have done well enough for NISA since the LE did sell out. In fact it even looks like the normal edition is sold out from the NISA store.

So come on guys, just have some hope!

syQHx69.png

FluxWaveZ

Thanks. Yeah, that does sound low, though it depends on what the publisher's expectations were, I suppose.

But this is why I don't think Danganronpa: Another Episode is necessarily a given. It's a different situation because of the publisher—I'll acquiesce that—but Ace Attorney is presumably a more popular/relevant series in the west, and yet its presence here is still on shaky ground (with one of its spin-offs having never been released outside of Japan). Daganronpa is a successful series in Japan (again, like AA), but it's a different story in North America...

Edit: But yeah, those don't account for digital copies (which seems to be a big thing for the Vita, especially), and there's just a lot about that number we can't know.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Can someone make the background of my avatar transparent? Paint sucks. :(
Kazuichiextremeface_zps371e776d.png

WTF at the sales. It brings me despair knowing such a great game/series is getting rather terrible sales....
well we know PSN sales aren't accounted for (so my digital copy doesn't count). Hell, we don't even know if copies bought from the NISA's online store even count (so my LE might not count either). It must have done well enough for NISA since the LE did sell out. In fact it even looks like the normal edition is sold out from the NISA store
Well that's true. I mean, I feel like it should a lot more considering the fanbase has expanded with the localization of the first game.

FluxWaveZ

Well that's true. I mean, I feel like it should a lot more considering the fanbase has expanded with the localization of the first game.

Sales for Danganronpa 2 are likely less than that of the first game in North America, seeing how it's a sequel and how it was released within the same year as its predecessor.

LX_Theo

Banned
That IS at retail. Realistically, it probably sold at least twice that with digital included. Still not great or anything, mind you.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just want to say that Danganronpa 2 looks superb on a Samsung Smart 55" TV + Vita TV.

DaBoss

So I searched for DR1 sales and saw it sold 13.5K at retail in its first month. Someone who works at NISA who is a member on GAF (I don't remember the username) posted in the DR1 spoiler thread saying they were happy with the results.

Keep in mind that NISA being happy with the sales are the mos importan thing for the DR series and its future in the west. And like I said before, I doubt they are unsatisfied.

Big pub expectations aren't the expectations for smaller pubs like NISA or Atlus (though I just remembered they are owned by SEGA now lol).

Capcom's expectations for Ace Attorney would be much greater than NISA's expectations for DR. That goes for the break-even point as well.

FluxWaveZ

Capcom's expectations for Ace Attorney would be much greater than NISA's expectations for DR. That goes for the break-even point as well.

Yeah, that's why I don't think the status of the series in NA is analogous to Ace Attorney's just yet. I would think DR:AE would have a much greater chance of getting localized than not.

Nyoro SF

The 1st game was 13.5k in the US.
Again, we don't know if NISA's channel is included in NPD.
I highly doubt it is.

If that level of sales, including the mystery number from NISA's channel and the mystery number of digital sales was good enough to get us DR2, then I sincerely hope similar sales for the sequel can get us Another Episode.

I have more confidence now, thanks Busaiku. :)

FluxWaveZ

If that level of sales, including the mystery number from NISA's channel and the mystery number of digital sales was good enough to get us DR2, then I sincerely hope similar sales for the sequel can get us Another Episode.

I have more confidence now, thanks Busaiku. :)

Well... I do think it's a very different situation. As discussed a while back, the localization of DR1 and DR2 was most likely a 2-for-1 type deal, since the Vita re-release in Japan was seemingly the impetus for us getting the games at all. Localization work on DR2 had been done before DR1 was even released here, and that's also why there was such a quick interval between the releases of both games.

DR:AE is a completely different scenario, in this case, where the sales of DR1 leading to us getting DR2 don't really factor in.

ibyea

Banned
Just finished the game, and man, what twists at the end, and there were clues strewn throughout the game about them. Most memorable thing is the villainy of Nagito Komaeda. Holy crap, that guy. Worst of all, the catharsis that I was hoping for when he died never came. He haunted you till the end. What a great villain.

The cast of characters, except for a few exceptions, are superior to the first game. Hinata as a protagonist is far superior to Naegi Makoto, he feels like a person of his own and doesn't feel as cliched as Makoto.

In terms of mysteries, this game was a huge step up from the first game. In the first game, I pretty much nailed the perpetrator for the first 4 cases by the time the investigation ended. In this one, only the first case, the second and third case I got it before half way through the case, and I could never figure out the 4th and 5th one. The 4th and 5th case for me will forever be some of the most memorable mysteries. In part this was possible because of the change of setting, a much more open and varied one. It came at the price of the claustrophobic atmosphere, but worth it.

The minigames, I detest them. They actually improved on the rythm one, and I liked the concept of them rebutting you, but I don't think it was well implemented, the way it works doesn't give you much time to think. The two that are just horrible is hangman gambit and logic dive. Hangman is pretty much designed to overwhelm you. The cursor is not fast enough (although I believe you can get skills for that), it becomes impossibly frantic at times, and two different letters can even appear together and collide as soon as they appear. Logic dive doesn't make any sense, the triangle obstacles have terrible draw distances, and it breaks up the flow of the case.

Just finished the game. Was better than the first in almost every way but i was disppointed to find that Junko was behind this as well. She's a pretty one-dimensional villain to be honest.

Jintor

yo when you're super high school level you bet your ass you're gonna be one dimensional

I've been thinking about Ibuki and how depressing her music is lol. So weirdly at odds but not at odds with her personality. I bet she just wanted to explore despair musically and got sucked into it

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
You can find out more about the characters in Dangan Island, but it is a huge grind.

For the lazy/people with less time on their hands (like me), is there a site that has all of the dialogue listed? Too scared to look at Youtube >_>

You know, during Chapter 3, the moment I saw the video of Mikan acting like someone about to commit suicide, and then Ibuki's body, the first thing I noticed in my mind "The hair. Boom." So during most of the investigation and trial I kept wondering why Hajime didn't mention that the person in the video which didn't have any of its hair shown outside the bag was different from the actual corpse. And then when it was time to contradict one of the Mikan's possibilities she was saying, I was like "Yes! Finally! I notice something so important in a trial that could change the outcome of it!" but nope, it was the camera angle.

Also I'm not remembering well but how did she knew when to begin the suicide act? Did the camera made a sound when someone turned the camera from the other side on? And how did she managed to turn/blow the candle off the moment she was about to "commit suicide" if the video was being filmed at the same time as Hajime was watching it?

You know, during Chapter 3, the moment I saw the video of Mikan acting like someone about to commit suicide, and then Ibuki's body, the first thing I noticed in my mind "The hair. Boom." So during most of the investigation and trial I kept wondering why Hajime didn't mention that the person in the video which didn't have any of its hair shown outside the bag was different from the actual corpse. And then when it was time to contradict one of the Mikan's possibilities she was saying, I was like "Yes! Finally! I notice something so important in a trial that could change the outcome of it!" but nope, it was the camera angle.

Also I'm not remembering well but how did she knew when to begin the suicide act? Did the camera made a sound when someone turned the camera from the other side on? And how did she managed to turn/blow the candle off the moment she was about to "commit suicide" if the video was being filmed at the same time as Hajime was watching it?

Case 3 is just funny. I really like this headscratcher from tvtropes about case 3:
If Hinata ran as fast as he could from the hospital to the club, then almost immediately left the club and ran to the motel, how did Tsumiki have time to do everything she did? Not only that, but the Climax Logic segment implies that she was hiding out behind the club when Hinata left for the motel. Even if she left immediately after Hinata, she still would have needed to get behind the building without him noticing, and he was only inside for... 15 seconds before heading for the motel? And, once again, that assumes that she sprinted to the club immediately after Hinata did; before she could've left, she needed to hide everything she used to fake the feed (ladder, rope, candle, hospital gown), meet up with and explain the situation to Kuzuryuu, then get to the club. The only conclusion I can come up with is that the Climax Logic segment was wrong and Tsumiki was still running to the club when Hinata left, but even then, it's hard to see how she had time. And that's not even going into how long it would have taken Kuzuryuu to get to the hospital from the first island, considering that he left after the morning announcement, when Hinata was already sprinting to the club, and he was walking. The timing of this incident makes no sense whatsoever!

@Mdesilva and CureVylash
Even though it's not confirmed and is only speculation (hence the "maybe") I like the theory that says that Sato/Girl E is actually the Ultimate Archer, since she mentioned the archer club in the game. Of course, since it's a club it means there are more people in it than her, but I like the theory since there's no other clue to what her talent may be.
Case 3 is just funny. I really like this headscratcher from tvtropes about case 3:
Damn. I wonder if changing Fuyuhiko to Hiyoko as the second victim made the case's execution rushed or something, but even then, most of this weirdness is related to the suicide video plan.

Vylash

@Mdesilva and CureVylash
Even though it's not confirmed and is only speculation (hence the "maybe") I like the theory that says that Sato/Girl E is actually the Ultimate Archer, since she mentioned the archer club in the game. Of course, since it's a club it means there are more people in it than her, but I like the theory since there's no other clue to what her talent may be.
Was it confirmed that it took place in Hope's Peak? My memory is a bit fuzzy

Maybe they really did only have 10 questions they could ask and using one of them up for a non-answer wasn't worth it. :p
That would be pretty dramatic. Does Monokuma jump in and yell "TIME'S UP!" XD

I guess you could argue that it's worse to not ask at all than ask something you'll get a non-answer for, but really, I'm pretty sure that if they're working on AE they're legally forbidden from saying anything about it just like how Feep couldn't mention the DR2 localization until they announced it despite having worked on it before DR1 released so what's the point.
Even if you're sure you'll get a non-answer, you should always, always ask IMO.

Also, if those sales numbers are accurate, I imagine NISA is happy with them. I think some people have an inflated sense of what a Vita title from a niche publisher should be selling.

Time and/or number of questions is typically limited in an interview. Wasting it on pointless questions the interviewer knows they wouldn't get a proper answer to is useless.
Maybe during press junkets/PR events, or if you're interviewing someone high-up. I doubt this had any actual stipulations.

And it's not a pointless question IMO.

@Mdesilva and CureVylash

Eh, I always assumed she was just the Ultimate Extra.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone know where I can get some sound bytes of Monokuma (English) saying some of the generic lines (like "THRILLS, CHILLS, KILLS!" & some of his laughs)? Makin' a project for multimedia design relating to Halloween & think I might be able to work in some of his lines.

For a "weeaboo" game coming out on a platform with a US install base of ~2 million those sales probably aren't that bad.

And as others have pointed out the fact that both limited and regular editions are sold out at the NISA store is a pretty good indicator that it sold as well as they wanted it to.

Definitely thought Case 3 was the worst.
Agreed. Specially the motive.
Was it confirmed that it took place in Hope's Peak? My memory is a bit fuzzy
I also don't remember if it was confirmed, but I think it's safe to assume it, since the cast doesn't remember anything about those events and they didn't met until they joined the school.

Like, seriously, even when Junko isn't involved, Hope's Peak Academy will always fall into despair....
Eh, I always assumed she was just the Ultimate Extra.
For the Ultimate Extra to be involved in probably one of the reasons Fuyuhiko (+Peko then) and Mahiru succumbed to despair, kill another Ultimate, her actions causing the death of Mahiru and Peko; and for Fuyuhiko to lose one of his eyes, that is truly an amazing feat.

FluxWaveZ

Agreed. Specially the motive.

I thought the motive was fantastic in retrospect as an extremely subtle, yet blatant foreshadowing to the plot twist that occurs later in the game. It felt weak when it happened, but that made it all the stronger for me in the end.

The plot holes/contradictions aren't good, though.

I thought the motive was fantastic in retrospect as an extremely subtle, yet blatant foreshadowing to the plot twist that occurs later in the game. It felt weak when it happened, but that made it all the stronger for me in the end.
Before I comment, I want to be sure of something. After finishing the game, it's obvious that the Despair Disease was made effective thanks to the virtual world, and that's why it was easy for Monokuma to take it out when the situation needed it. But, when deciding to start the motives, do we know if he chose Nagito, Ibuki and Akane specifically to carry out the whole thing? And do we know if he himself was the who decided the symptoms each victim got? (so Mikan remembering everything and becoming Ultimate Despair was on purpose?) Or was it randomized?

Grexeno

Before I comment, I want to be sure of something. After finishing the game, it's obvious that the Despair Disease was made effective thanks to the virtual world, and that's why it was easy for Monokuma to take it out when the situation needed it. But, when deciding to start the motives, do we know if he chose Nagito, Ibuki and Akane specifically to carry out the whole thing? And do we know if he himself was the who decided the symptoms each victim got? Or was it randomized?
We can't know for sure, but it's likely the symptoms were randomized. Eventually someone would have contracted the Remembering Disease, and whoever that was would have killed someone.

Jintor

I still think the despair virus was a violation of the supposed restrictions where the GM couldn't directly interfere with the players (so to speak)

Top Bottom