• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

tumblr_n5fy9imB2J1so69wqo1_500.gif

Awww, I do feel kinda bad for TeruTeru, what with his backstory with his mother. He was at least redeemable in that respect.

Though his execution, welll.....being made into fried chicken(i know it something but I can't remeber the name at the moment.) was a pretty disturbing way to die, that and I bet Monokuma ate him afterwards, DESPAIR indeed.

789shadow

Banned
Awww, I do feel kinda bad for TeruTeru, what with his backstory with his mother. He was at least redeemable in that respect.

Though his execution, welll.....being made into fried chicken(i know it something but I can't remeber the name at the moment.) was a pretty disturbing way to die, that and I bet Monokuma ate him afterwards, DESPAIR indeed.
HE'S A MCNUGGET NOW, NO QUESTIONS

Rocksxp

Neo Member
I wonder if there going to keep Monomi in the main plot of DR3. I’m sure Usami guaranteed for the school mode, but I can’t think of any excuse to bring her back for real. Aw well everyone was ass to her for no reason anyway.

I was on the Tsumiki hate train too, but her Free Time events + the fact that she's SHSL Despair makes her a bit more sympathetic.

I admit I haven’t seen her free times yet. Speaking of which, the free times I’ve seen so far are great. For example Komaeda’s explains another reason why he would torture himself. He generally believes that his good luck will come out after bad events. Of course he would play that up in his suicide plot.

As for Komaeda, I don't really have the energy to talk about him at atm, but I think he's pretty much the most interesting character in the entire game.
Not my favorite character, but I can see how you could talk about his motivations and ticks for a long time.

Anyways, one of my favorite fridge logics from this game is that all the executions of DR1 were created by SHSL Despair, right? Well, let's think for a moment who was the most likely person to have build them.
jx0RfGW.png

YOU KILLED ALTER EGO?!
DAMN YOU SOUDA.

speaking of future stuff, i hope that another episode ends up involving apprehending the remnants of ultimate despair
having the DR2 students in their despair forms be boss battles would be rad
That along the lines I was thinking they’d take another episode. More back story for SDR2 and plot foundations for DR3.

(Hanamura awesome image)
This is adorable. This also makes me despair.

Having boss battles with SHSL Despair SDR2 cast would be awesome, but it'd go against canon.

I mean, unless I'm misremembering, originally they were found and thought to be Hope's Peak survivors and so they took them in for protection, it wasn't until later that they found out they were remnants of despair.

arue

Having boss battles with SHSL Despair SDR2 cast would be awesome, but it'd go against canon.

I mean, unless I'm misremembering, originally they were found and thought to be Hope's Peak survivors and so they took them in for protection, it wasn't until later that they found out they were remnants of despair.

I'd LOVE to see the Despair version of all SDR2 students. If Spike Chunsoft were to show them, they would probably put them in a novel, not a game.

Also, what is a TapeTenu? I saw SDR2 TapeTenu on amiami, but I have no idea what it is.

kewlmyc

I'd LOVE to see the Despair version of all SDR2 students. If Spike Chunsoft were to show them, they would probably put them in a novel, not a game.

Also, what is a TapeTenu? I saw SDR2 TapeTenu on amiami, but I have no idea what it is.
I think there's a pic of them all wearing Monokuma masks and what not.

PK Gaming

SO does anyone feel like rambling about your favorite characters? Here's my #1

Chiaki Nanami

Aw yeah! What's up gamers? I'm GameGrl, and I'm here to show you that girls can game too! Don't go easy on me, guys - unless you want to get beat by a GIRL. Are you ready? Let's DO THIS.

I had some apprehensions about Nanami at first (because "gamer" characters are usually pretty shitty) but I should have realized that my fears were basically unwarranted because she wasn't just any gamer (and this wasn't just any game, hehehehe). It stands to reason that the Super High School Level Gamer would be on a completely different level than a regular "gamer" character. So in short... Chiaki Nanami was super highschool level rad character; "gamer" characters are almost always cynical and cringey, but Chiaki was like this celebration of the gamer archetype. A character with a simple, honest to god passion for video games. I really, really liked her semi-obscure gaming references and over the top passion for video games.

Nanami: Never played a video game? But that's like, not living 90% of your life, right?"
Her quirks were pretty enjoyable too
Chiaki Nanami: [completely logical and reasonable advice that will help prolong the listener's survival]
Chiaki Nanami: ... I think.
And I can't trust someone who doesn't think her room was the tightest shit imaginable
733288_1000.png

The Pizza Box

Nanami ended up having an interesting dynamic with Hinata. She was clearly one of the main driving forces during the trials, but it didn't feel like she had all of the answers (most of the time anyway...) Unlike DR1, I genuinely got the sense that Hinata and Nanami they were relying on each other for answers. Nanami was like this "hope" for the player. She was a constant, and it really felt that as long she was around, you could make it to the end. Consequently, her death ended up being painful and bitter, but at the same time, it still left you with a semblance of hope after her speech. But yo, arguably the biggest reason why she takes top spot for me was that cheer up speech she gave to Hinata at the end of the game. It was good. It was damn good, like straight up one of my favorite moments in gaming, period.

Chiaki: Having talent isn't the goal. There's something much more important than whether or not you have talent, right?

...What's important is that you believe in yourself. If you can't do that... No matter how much talent you possess, you will never be confident in yourself.”

I mean maybe I liked it so much because it resonated with me, but goddamn did it hit me hard. It felt like she was explicitly emphases one of the main "points" of the entire series. Talent isn't everything. Don't let ideals dominate your life. Love yourself.

So yeah, I loved Nanami . She was cute, funny, entertaining and the queen of pep talks

Easily my favorite DanganRonpa character.

arue

My favorite character would be Mioda Ibuki, of course.
Good momomomomomorning!

She is cheerful, she is funny, and has the best style in the whole game!

Judging from her appearance, I thought she would be a cold character, because you know, I thought she would be the usual punk rock character.
But then, the moment she reveals herself as a cheerful character and make jokes throughout the game, I instantly thought "this is my favorite character!"

I was so sad when she died, but let's hope that the dead kids will come back to life!

I love Ibuki so much that I even drew a fanart of her:

PK Gaming

My favorite character would be Mioda Ibuki, of course.

Good momomomomomorning!

She is cheerful, she is funny, and has the best style in the whole game!

Judging from her appearance, I thought she would be a cold character, because you know, I thought she would be the usual punk rock character.
But then, the moment she reveals herself as a cheerful character and make jokes throughout the game, I instantly thought "this is my favorite character!"

I was so sad when she died, but let's hope that the dead kids will come back to life!

I love Ibuki so much that I even drew a fanart of her:

Oh man, I saw that on tumblr a while back. So good ♪

So I thought you guys here could appreciate this.

How much do you think this will cost me. 3 digits?

kewlmyc

Oh man, I saw that on tumblr a while back. So good ♪

How much do you think this will cost me. 3 digits?

Heh, I was going to tweet it to you. Thought you'd appreciate it.

It's being made by Phat Company, which is known for decently priced figures. Their Kyoko is only $85-ish. Given that this Nanami is only 1/8th size, she'll probably won't be over $100 excluding shipping if you order from Amiami. Can't say for sure though since that detail on the CRT TV could jack up the price.

Preorders begin on May 27th.

We should split the costs. Then we'll just share it. I'll have it for the first 12 months of the year, and then you guys can distribute the rest of the days among yourselves.

arue

That's the first time for me to see Nanami's backpack.

Scale figures are so expensive. Give me an Ibuki nendoroid and I'll pre-order it in a heartbeat.

so the LE for this game in the US comes with the sticker hajime is tricked into buying for 1 million yen

is this supposed to be some kind of commentary on people who buy LEs

Labrys

aaaand LE pre-ordered. The titles/name changes also allow me to work on the OT a bit more, I just need voice actors names now and we're golden.

PK Gaming

? None of the images seem like outright spoilers to me if that's what you're talking about? What's the issue?

Couple of reasons:

-Characters are shown from the first trial. You can rule them out as initial victims (and the 3 that are shown from the 2nd trial!).

-It basically spoils the climax interefence sequence. You can cross out all of the characters that appear as potential killer, and they downright ruin the Pekoyama twist. Heck, Kuzuryuu and Peko are the 2 red herrings of the case (alongside Komaeda) and that image completely outs them!

Lusankya

It's not too bad. New players won't really get it anyways. I mean why should they think they can cross out potential suspects just by looking at that last image?

GSR

That last image kinda spoils that nobody in that image is the killer of the first case, although ironically enough that's the case with the fake-out shadow person anyway.

Labrys

Couple of reasons:

-Characters are shown from the first trial. You can rule them out as initial victims (and 3 from the 2nd!).

-It basically spoils the climax interefence sequence. You can cross out all of the characters that appear as potential killer, and they downright ruin the Pekoyama twist.

I guess I should be choosey in the screenshots I use for my OT then...? I didn't see much issue with them but if they're spoiler-y to others.

PK Gaming

It's not too bad. New players won't really get it anyways. I mean why should they think they can cross out potential suspects just by looking at that last image?

Because the killer is traditionally drawn in a completely different fashion during climax interference. The image is problematic because you can immediately rule out Nidai, Peko, Kuzuryuu, Gundam, Sonia, Ibuki, Saoinji, Kozoimi and Byakuya as killers. That's 9 characters. Doubly so, because Kuzu and Peko are "red herrings" (up until the trial anyway) which completely kills the tension during the investigation. And that entire mystery regarding Peko's absence is shot to pieces. BOOM, gone. The joke won't be as funny either since you'll see it coming.

I guess I should be choosey in the screenshots I use for my OT then...? I didn't see much issue with them but if they're spoiler-y to others.

Absolutely. You should exercise maximum discretion to ensure that nobody's experience is ruined.

Remnants of Despair? Pretty likely I'd say. THE ones we know and love? Not a chance. Pretty sure I remember them being found as "Hope's Peak survivors" with nobody guessing they were Despair until later.

kewlmyc

http://gematsu.com/2014/06/danganronpa-another-episode-new-trailer

Do you think the people shown at the end of the trailer could be them?

(The remnants of SHSL Despair?)

Probably. Would make for interesting boss fights. However, it would completely spoil the 2nd game considering it's supposed to be set between them. I guess DR0 does the same for DR1 though, so they're not meant to be read/played in chronological order.

Also, the gameplay doesn't look all that great to me as well.

Anyway, rewatched case 5. So freaking ingenious and cemented Komaeda as my favorite character in the game, and one of my favorites in Japanese media in general.

PK Gaming

Remnants of Despair? Pretty likely I'd say. THE ones we know and love? Not a chance. Pretty sure I remember them being found as "Hope's Peak survivors" with nobody guessing they were Despair until later.

Assuming that Another Episode takes place immediately after DR1 (or possibly even concurrently), then it's definitely possible that DR2's RoD could have been running wild during that time frame. Remember, they were the ones who claimed that that they were the survivor of Hopes Peak.

It has been reported ... that there are individuals who are claiming to be survivors of Hope’s Peak Academy. Moreover, after further investigations, their number has increased to fifteen. It is is curious why “that number of students” would appear at this particular time, but if they truly are survivors of Hope’s Peak, there is a significant risk that Super High School Level Despair may target them as well.
We believe that it is necessary to take them into protective custody as soon as possible.

They were also scattered, which means it might have taken some time to secure them all.

This is an update on the “Hope’s Peak survivors” that had been reported on previously; we have succeeded in securing their persons.
It had appeared that they were acting separately, but we have been successful in protecting all fifteen of them.

Until we have a definite timelime we can't exactly rule them out.

Anyway, rewatched case 5. So freaking ingenious and cemented Komaeda as my favorite character in the game, and one of my favorites in Japanese media in general.

Word

They way he made them all into potential killers was nothing short of masterful. You go through so many ranges of emotions in that case, and I loved the mystery surrounding his death. Hinata really shines during this case (he's pretty much running on all cylinders till the end). The climax interference at the end was by far my favorite in the entire series.

This one?

I don't know if they are SHSL Despair; they looks like little kids to me. Although the second one to the left looks like Souda because of the pose.

It's possible that they're all new characters, though we don't know what SHSL Despair looks like in the real world. That person in a wheelchair could very well be one of the DR2 students!

kewlmyc

There's also a scan running around of someone who looks to be Akane's little brother. Same-ish hairstyle and skin color.

if SDR2, a visual novel, had end-boss titanic junko enoshima who explicitly referred to herself as being like an action game end-boss, what is the inevitable another episode end-boss junko enoshima going to look like, being an actual action game end-boss

i expect some platinum-tier stuff here

Top Bottom