• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Nagito can't actually control it. He just has absolute faith it will work and make what he wants to happen actually happen.
Well, that's what I meant. Control wasn't the best word to use. He just puts his faith in his luck, and it works out. Like setting up dominoes and knowing they'll all fall in place. (Which laughably actually happens in Chapter 5 with the panels.)

Makoto just flies by the seat of his pants and things work out in the end.

I'm also really happy about the return of Junko. To me, Monokouma IS Junko and having someone pretending just doesn't fit. If a third game happens I don't think she should be brought back but they should also change monokouma's desing and replace the iconic looking one if they want to go a different route and have a new mastermind. It was also great they tied in how fucked up her actions were when you realized what it made people do.

This game is just so great. I wish we could find out who did what from those images. Did all of them apply to the cast? Or only some like the Mutiliations and necrophilia? I know those two are Fuyo and Mikan.

If all apply, I wonder who starved themselves?

It's speculated the one that starved themself was Akane and the one that gave up their parents was Sonia. We don't know for sure, of course.

Wazzy

Banned
It's speculated the one that starved themself was Akane and the one that gave up their parents was Sonia. We don't know for sure, of course.

Interesting. How come Akane? Because of her obsession with eating all the time? I thought the parents one was implied to be Teru because of his mom but I suppose both could fall under that.

Do y'all think we'll get any DR3 news at TGS?

I know they'll be focusing on AE, but even just a tease (with some art) would be incredible.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Claims of negativity regarding the No campaign are reflected in the reasons behind voters’ choices. Just under six in ten (58%) of No voters say despair for the future if the No side loses was more important in deciding their vote than hope if their side wins (at 36%). This compares with 80% of Yes voters who said they voted because they were hopeful for the future if their side wins; just 16% of Yes voters did so more out of despair than hope. Overall, 57% of Scots based their votes on hope more than despair, with 38% basing their vote on despair if they lose more than hope if they win.

Tuulenpoika

Neo Member
Ugh, found another bug today. If you go to the library during Free Time, the normal animation for scenery appearing won't play. Instead the screen says the same, and suddenly it moves to the side revealing the background and the character you're interacting with (in my case, Gundham. Of course.)

How did this many things pass through QA?

Do y'all think we'll get any DR3 news at TGS?

I know they'll be focusing on AE, but even just a tease (with some art) would be incredible.

Spike Chunsoft doesn't have any presentations it seems so there's no place for them to announce it. There wasn't any news at their booth either so it doesn't seem they'll be announcing DR3 at TGS. Buttttttttt from gematsu:

Next week's Famitsu has a 26-page feature on Spike Chunsoft's latest games. Mentions scoops aplenty. The feature will include titles its localizing like The Witcher 3. But with TGS happening this week, could we finally see the formal announcement of Danganronpa 3?

Speaking of Danganronpa, with the game's release next week, there's also a 42-page feature on Danganronpa: Another Episode.

So on aboard that Monokuma hype train

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Woah, I just noticed in the Sound Gallery, there's silhouettes of Junko, Makoto, & I think of Kirigiri & the real Byakuya. I assume they get added in after you beat the game or unlock all the music?

MSMrRound

What's funny about that? Famitsu very often gets scoops.

Their scoops have the tendency to disappoint rather than to excite. Just ask zeromcd, who's known for being burnt for making Famitsu scoop threads.
If it's good, it's good. I'm not gonna expect much though.

FluxWaveZ

Their scoops have the tendency to disappoint rather than to excite. Just ask zeromcd, who's known for being burnt for making Famitsu scoop threads.
If it's good, it's good. I'm not gonna expect much though.

Weird. When it comes to the games I follow, they don't disappoint.

Wichu

Woah, I just noticed in the Sound Gallery, there's silhouettes of Junko, Makoto, & I think of Kirigiri & the real Byakuya. I assume they get added in after you beat the game or unlock all the music?

Yeah. I loaded an earlier file to check, and those four (+ Mechamaru) are replaced by Hajime until you finish the game.

It does mean Hajime appears six times as often as the other characters until then though, which is a bit weird.

Yeah. I loaded an earlier file to check, and those four (+ Mechamaru) are replaced by Hajime until you finish the game.

It does mean Hajime appears six times as often as the other characters until then though, which is a bit weird.

Only because he's Mr. Popular~

Speaking of which:

Bx0wyuRCcAEaNh2.jpg

Just look how amazing his figure looks~

Isotope

I have some questions regarding the ending and other stuff (Sorry if they've been asked/answered already): Is it ever specified anywhere in the game on what influence Junko had on each of the Ultimate Despairs that made them commit their terrible acts, or is it something you just assume/read about?

I get that Fuyuhiko had the Dead Eye (sp?) and Nagito planted Junko's hand onto his arm, but what of the others? I read somewhere (I think it was even in here) that Akane was the one who starved herself, thus being the reasons to why she's always hungry. Mikan pretty much devoted her life to Junko, but what of characters like Gundham, Sonia, Kazuichi, etc..?

And regarding the ending cutscene with Byakuya, Makoto and Kyoko leaving on the ship, was Hijamie...Hajime on the pier, or was he Izuru then, just with his hair cut so he pretty much was Hajime?

hohoXD123

I have some questions regarding the ending and other stuff (Sorry if they've been asked/answered already): Is it ever specified anywhere in the game on what influence Junko had on each of the Ultimate Despairs that made them commit their terrible acts, or is it something you just assume/read about?

I get that Fuyuhiko had the Dead Eye (sp?) and Nagito planted Junko's hand onto his arm, but what of the others? I read somewhere (I think it was even in here) that Akane was the one who starved herself, thus being the reasons to why she's always hungry. Mikan pretty much devoted her life to Junko, but what of characters like Gundham, Sonia, Kazuichi, etc..?

And regarding the ending cutscene with Byakuya, Makoto and Kyoko leaving on the ship, was Hijamie...Hajime on the pier, or was he Izuru then, just with his hair cut so he pretty much was Hajime?
You pretty much have to make your own assumptions, even Fuyuhiko getting Junko's eye is mostly speculation.

The person at the end was Hajime with all of his memories as far as I know, so he was basically a reformed Izuru who decided to live on as Hajime rather than as Izuru. How he managed to retain his VR memories though I dunno.

Wazzy

Banned
The only one that I'm pretty sure is confirmed by the character is Mikan when she speaks about her "beloved" and how they were the only one to notice and care about her. It could be implied they were romantic(one sided obviously) since Mikan is in love with Junko.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
The one I really find hard to believe is Sonia, how could the Ultimate Princess be thrown into despair?

PK Gaming

It's never explicitly stated, but you can infer based on some established facts. I posted my interpretation here, if you're interested in some speculation.

Again, nothing is explicitly confirmed. Even the person who implanted Junko's eye wasn't confirmed to be Fuyuhiko (though it's heavily, heavily implied).

It was Hajime. He managed to retain his memories of the virtual island and take control of his future. He probably just cut his hair or something.

MSMrRound

The one I really find hard to believe is Sonia, how could the Ultimate Princess be thrown into despair?

Being born into her status e.g like a bird that's been locked inside a cage?

Might be plenty of things she wanted to experience but did not have the chance to because of being shackled to who she was.

Wouldn't be surprised to see her snapping.

JNA

Banned

That's because that part is not true. It's a lie. Sonia could never be thrown into despair. It didn't happen I say it's all lies! 0_0

Gazoinks

Easily. Maybe her kingdom fell apart, her family was killed, whatever. If anything she's probably one of the more vulnerable characters.

Incidentally, did anyone start off thinking Sonia wasn't a real princess and was just faking it? The fact that she was from a place that didn't actually exist and kept coming up with really bizarre customs made me think something was up, but no she's just a weirdo.

Isotope

Man, I just thought Sonia was a killer in, like, 3 chapters. It seemed (To me at least) the game was going out of its way to make you suspect Sonia. Chapter 2, when she was wearing the fullbody swimsuit, I thought she was hiding the blood from Mahiru's murder. In Chapter 3, I thought she had killed Hiyoko because she was the only one who knew about her looking for the mirror in the Music Hall. And in Chapter 5, when she was off doing her own thing when the other students were looking for the bombs, I thought she went off and killed Nagito. Though it seemed like it would have been too obvious in Chapter 5's murder.

Meia

Easily. Maybe her kingdom fell apart, her family was killed, whatever. If anything she's probably one of the more vulnerable characters.

Incidentally, did anyone start off thinking Sonia wasn't a real princess and was just faking it? The fact that she was from a place that didn't actually exist and kept coming up with really bizarre customs made me think something was up, but no she's just a weirdo.

Eh, Sonia is just Starfire, and that's it. :p

But yeah, I really did think it was her as the killer in Act 2. That whole wetsuit thing was a great red herring.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

I though the Ultimate Despairs helped to propagate The Tragedy, so Sonia breaking bad would've needed to happen before it reached her kingdom, I think. Also, doesn't it imply they killed their own families? So Sonia breaking because she murdered her own family doesn't make much sense...

Moonlight

Banned
Sonia frequently talks about all the pressure that's put on her as a princess, how she must always act selflessly for her nation and people, how she's often kidnapped by rebels and her family has often seen coup d'etats against the monarchy. She's good at hiding her issues with it, but from her FTEs, it does make it clear that it's mostly a front and her penultimate event involves her 'finally' reacting like a normal teenage girl would in her situation and venting her emotions. If something happened to make her feeling betrayed by her kingdom/people in some way (in spite of everything Sonia does in their benefit), or if she simply decided that being a princess was far too shackling a responsibility, falling into despair would be easy.

She was one of the easiest characters for me to envision falling into despair, honestly.

Rubedo

Eh, Sonia is just Starfire, and that's it. :p

But yeah, I really did think it was her as the killer in Act 2. That whole wetsuit thing was a great red herring.

Starfire is exactly who she reminded me of. Just totally random and outlandish customs that seem to be made up on the fly.

There's another new silhouette too which I think is Mukuro. I thought it was Mahiru at first, but it's definitely not her. The only person I feel it could match is Mukuro.

Spike Chunsoft doesn't have any presentations it seems so there's no place for them to announce it. There wasn't any news at their booth either so it doesn't seem they'll be announcing DR3 at TGS. Buttttttttt from gematsu:

So on aboard that Monokuma hype train
:O

Wichu

There's another new silhouette too which I think is Mukuro. I thought it was Mahiru at first, but it's definitely not her. The only person I reel it could match it Mukuro.

Just checked again, and you're right, Mukuro shows up as well. I don't think I'd seen her before.

jackdoe

Chapter 3 really was the cleansing chapter IMO. It got rid of two of the most annoying anime character archetypes in one fell swoop. Jesus Christ I hated Mikan and Hiyoko.

petghost

Banned
Chapter 3 really was the cleansing chapter IMO. It got rid of two of the most annoying anime character archetypes in one fell swoop. Jesus Christ I hated Mikan and Hiyoko.

this make me a bit of a sissy but seeing the hooded figure walking up the stool on the receiver was the only time in this game i felt genuinely disturbed. really creeped me out.

Rubedo

Mikan was more a highly exaggerated version of the shy girl trope though. And then subverted.

this make me a bit of a sissy but seeing the hooded figure walking up the stool on the receiver was the only time in this game i felt genuinely disturbed. really creeped me out.

It was quite eerie. Most disturbing moment for me though is either when Nagito revealed he had Junko's arm or almost the entirety of Trial 6 (necrophilia, Hajime allowing them to whittle away at him through surgery, etc.)

Nyoro SF

No I agree as well. That was the scariest part of the game for me. It's all about the presentation.

No I agree as well. That was the scariest part of the game for me. It's all about the presentation.
Yeah, that was probably the "scariest" part of the game for me too, though I didn't find it that bad. (I had a feeling it was fake from the get go.)

The only part from either game that genuinely freaked me out was seeing the masked figure with the knife hovering over Makoto's bed in the first game.

OceanBlue

I must be squeamish because the scene where you find Nagito's corpse really bothered me. The static interrupting the music was pretty cliche too but it was really effective on me. I had a really hard time looking at the evidence and examining his body for a little while.

Finding Ibuki and Nagito's bodies disturbed me, but the only moment in the series in which I felt legitimately frightened was after Leon's execution when the students observe his limp body and the final bloody baseball rolls towards them. Sent several dozens chills down my spine and made my skin crawl when I first saw it.

Top Bottom