• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Ping Pong] - 7

This episode barely looked rushed at all. Good job everyone!

On a more serious note: this show is still amazing. One of the best anime titles in years, based Yuasa etc etc

Chariot

Is that so? I can't remember that being mentioned in the anime.
It's been a while since the anime aired, so I may be a bit inaccurate and I also can't say where exactly they state that.
So, you know there was this Bonobothing were they relieved stress with Sex and being with each other, because their powers are mindbased and everyone is essentially a walking bomb. Of course they want bring the near adults to this too, education doesen't happen at once. But they don't want to have pregancy happen and thus encourage same-sex relationship at this age. Its not coincidence that after the timeskip almost everyone is in a same-sex relationship.

My argument is based on my reaction of the first 4 episodes leaving a bad taste in my mouth so to speak. Yes you have already clarified one of my problems I originally stated but this one of pacing is still up in the air (hence this ongoing argument).

An arc (especially an introductory one) of any series should not, I repeat, should not have the leverage to stand on its own as a main story. That defeats the purpose of the arc entirely, might as well constitute its own independent story right? But with Black Bullet's first arc this is what exactly is happening. You have already introduced the "main villain", you have already seen what said villain is capable of and his goal revealed ontop of that. You have already seen the character "progression" of losing to the villain and eventually defeating him. You have already seen the villain at first succeeding but ultimately failing. You have already seen a major threat being averted. All these things exist in the first arc and all these things ultimately can exist as its own main story. That is my issue, the pacing is off and feels rushed to hell.
Wait so an arc in franchise should not be able to stand on it's own ?

Who said that ? If an arc has a start , a climax and a proper end , it's not good ? Aren't you thinking this backwards ?

What "main vilain" ? A vilain in a arc , is not necessary a recurring vilain for a franchise.
Your stance is full of misconceptions like that.
Aren't you mistaking black bullet for something it isn't?

Reference material the show is built on is irrelevant because I'm arguing its execution in the anime. For easy comparison let's say Black Bullet is one of The Hobbit movies. I hate on The Hobbit movies due to its poor execution as a movie and bring up other movies as reference such as The Lord of the Rings, I don't bring up the book because I haven't read the damn book. Thus there is no point in arguing against me by bringing up the damn book because I haven't referenced the damn book at all because I haven't read the damn book. Relating to Black Bullet, I haven't read the damn LN.

And you're repeatedly ignoring my counterargument which at my very post you quoted me on is that Episode 4 by itself is executed in a similar manner to that of an ending episode to a long-running anime. With that in mind please recognize I'm not arguing the anime is closed off permanently of further development, but that the anime's manner of closure of its many plot elements in its rushed manner indicates a rushed pacing which indicates poor story execution.
First, i haven't read the LN yet.I'm talking about rushed pacing from adaptations and i speak from my personnal point of view and i'm telling you how it is.
Second, I have no idea where you keep thinking "long running anime" here. There is nothing here that back up your claim.Heck the fast pacing you complain about is one example against it.
If anything , the anime itself by introducing new elements in that very same episode 4 contradict this . Why because all the long running anime show finales uses elements already established to reach their climax. But This episode 4 , BB is still introducing new factors to the viewer. Faced with those new elements of world building , it cannot be the "ending of a long running anime" you speak of.

cajunator

Banned
It's been a while since the anime aired, so I may be a bit inaccurate and I also can't say where exactly they state that.
So, you know there was this Bonobothing were they relieved stress with Sex and being with each other, because their powers are mindbased and everyone is essentially a walking bomb. Of course they want bring the near adults to this too, education doesen't happen at once. But they don't want to have pregancy happen and thus encourage same-sex relationship at this age. Its not coincidence that after the timeskip almost everyone is in a same-sex relationship.

Yeah I actually didnt think of this at first but youre right. Its a good means to control the population.

Midonin

Daimidaler 08

Love and sex together make for a special kind of sweetness in this show, even with all the lewdness taken into account. That was a surprisingly forward way for Shouko to use her sexuality as a weapon. She knew that she could create Hi-Ero particles, and while it backfired mostly, she was using her body in a way that was kinda awesome. So much flirting going on, a mecha fight wasn't even necessary. Also, Ritz continues to be adorable in her own weird way. That the show found an obscure first person pronoun so she could say "chin" for herself is a real dedication to lewdness. This show basically runs on dirty jokes - while Mangaka is fairly standard in its delivery, Daimidaler keeps coming up with new ways to go about it. It's only gotten better since the change of main characters.

Chariot

Its weird to have a small channel with a few OPs and then getting a few videos embedded by a huge site.

jqDvcRfGRo3UU.png

God, my statistics will look depressing in a week :,(

http://anichart.net/summer

Lots of heavy hitters out to play this summer.

I think only five are true heavy hitters. I will be watching

Free! - Eternal Summer
Re:_Hamatora
Love Stage!!
DRAMAtical Murder
Aldnoah.Zero
Sword Art Online II
Persona 4 Golden
Akame Ga Kill!
Zankyou no Terror
Bakumatsu Rock
Glasslip
Nobunaga Concerto
Strange+ Second Season
Magimoji Rorumo
Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen
Tokyo Ghoul
Tokyo ESP
Rail Wars

Midonin

Dragonar Academy 08

So Navi's also a dragon? The explanation for what was going on with Gawain makes enough sense, but the main takeaway from this episode isn't the reveal at the end (
the masked guy is Prince Julius
), but those swimsuits. They were pretty lewd. Still a lot of terminology being thrown around, but the show's at least consistently competent.

DAIMIDALER: PRINCE VS. PENGUIN EMPIRE Episode 8 Convenient! Electric Toothbrush
BoaDzcSCQAEPFOI.png

Wasnt a bad episode around measurements and such, laughed at his scene just for how hilarious it was in context and the probably blushing and etc.

I think the penguins over the bewbies kind of makes it work better than the scenes that have the huge light filter, keeps it feeling comical rather than disgustingly pervy.

Jarmel

Banned
Thanks for the panel report.

I would ask if you could try to get as much info out of them as you can on that upcoming Inou-Battle LN adaptation they're doing, but they probably won't be able to say anything about it.

Maybe just ask what lessons they feel like they learned as a studio after completing their first full TV series and how they'll use them to improve going forwards.

So just got out of the 2nd panel. I somewhat fucked up as so only got to hear half of the panel so somebody else will have to report the bits I didn't hear.

-Yoh looks up to his older brother Koh(another famous animator). Has a lot of respect for him.
-They described Inou Battle as slice of life and something completely different than what they've done before.
-Ninja Slayers will 'most likely' be completely different from KLK and Inferno cop
-They're happy about their success worldwide but feel they definitely need to work on their production schedule. They put some emphasis on this. They're also happy about the progress their young animators have made working on KLK and LWA.
-They're seemingly fine with parodies as someone in the audience brought up the "Bully La Bully" video they did(the Hotdog Ryuuko) and the staff will look at the video later.
-Yoshinari likes psychological thrillers(this was brought up in the bit about what genre they would like to work in once their production schedule is free). I yelled out for mecha.

They showed some concept art for LWA(I don't know if this was a mix of stuff for LWA or just LWA2). I don't know if some of the stuff has been released before. However there seemed a prominent male. Also some transmogrification stuff.

Vito

Banned
So just got out of the 2nd panel. I somewhat fucked up as so only got to hear half of the panel so somebody else will have to report the bits I didn't hear.

Thanks for the report, I daresay a lot better than I got from twitter, anything from here jogs your memory you can confirm/deny?

Busy day! But I'm actually going to be out and about for most of it so you all have fun with whatever gets announced today.

Isn't it magical how anime news can spread themselves without us?

Jarmel

Banned
Thanks for the report, I daresay a lot better than I got from twitter, anything from here jogs your memory you can confirm/deny?

I only get there at the tail end(40 minutes into the one hour panel). So I can't confirm the stuff said before I got there. The concept art was interesting because it had characters like Lotte and Diana morphing into parts of dragons. Also Akko blushing when she meets the male character(Garden ruined or something).

Nisekoi Episode 20 - Showtime [END]

Solid adaptation of one of the more questionable series of JUMP. Like the manga most episodes really depending on who the character of focus was to be entertaining or worth skipping (any Onodera episode, or Raku episode was often the best one, while focus on the others was just terrible). Ruri and Shu were strong supporting characters that brought it to life for me in other areas, and for voices, I think Yuki Kaji really made Shu pretty amazing.

Wouldnt mind if it got a continuation, play was an acceptable place to send out the series before the ova later this year. 7/10.

Midonin

Nisekoi 20 + Final Thoughts

And so things end with Shaftford-upon-Avon. No school play ever goes the way it's intended to in fiction, but Shu's transforming of the words of the Bard into the language of anime was quite something. The balcony scene was kept more or less as is, and both of the "main" girls got their sendoff. I know the manga can - and has - gone on long before this. Little details like the way the stage backgrounds rotated the same way as the show's title cards have were also a nice touch.

Perhaps, like To Love Ru or Seitokai, it can subsist solely on OVAs for some time to come. That's a good business model these days.

For the show itself, while in many respects it's a fairly standard romantic comedy, but the vividness of Shaft's animation, the performances of the voice actors (I wonder what reception for the main girls would've been like if they stuck with Haruka Tomatsu as Chitoge and Hisako Kanemoto as Kosaki), and the overall comedic timing of it. The jokes could still land, and while this genre is all too familiar for many in the anime fandom, that also makes it kinda comforting. Low intensity, a chance to hang out with characters people hopefully like. And going by the fact that shipping wars will pop up in just about any anime, to some degree, the audience must have been invested in these characters.

Marika was my favorite, because I love Kana Asumi in just about anything. Kana Asumi in Shaft-related things, doubly so. The OP and character songs/EDs were all vividly animated, and the creative way the second OP tells a short story contained in itself wins it big points. If I had to describe the show in one word, it would overall be "pleasant".

Dreamers often lie, but the pursuit of a dream is as old as stories themselves.

survivor

Banned
Hannibal S2 certainly started on a high note and certainly felt far more cohesive in its overall tone compared the the first season up until about 2/3 of the way through when it went off the rails and up its own ass. Fortunately the season finale was so batshit off the walls it more than made up for it. Doubly so for Fargo ep 6 which tied up the increasing insanity of Malvo's sadistic plot quite fantastically whilst still really pushing the suspension of disbelief to its limits and finally introducing the real power players involved in this.

also fuck lester so much

tru dick = wire/treme = boardwalk empire > fargo = mad men > hannibal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> thronies

might have to bump up thronies if the next few eps deliver as the shit thats about to go down is
whew.png
The flying fish scene smh

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anything running right now (or recently) that's actually suspenseful? Like, thriller-suspenseful? Deathnote/Monster/Whatever-ish suspenseful? Or maybe somewhat close?

Alternatively stuff that's really honest-to-god funny like Nichijou?

I completely lost track of what's on the market since I dunno last year.

Is there anything running right now (or recently) that's actually suspenseful? Like, thriller-suspenseful? Deathnote/Monster/Whatever-ish suspenseful? Or maybe somewhat close?

Maybe Attack on Titan and Terraformars for suspenseful.

daily lives of highschool boys for funny, sketdance too.

For funny stuff, you may be interested in Daily Lives of Highschool Boys. I haven't seen it myself, but I know of many people here that like it quite a bit. It's even commonly referred to as Nichibros, which may sell you on it further.

Link Man

Banned

Kawaisou is pretty hilarious, at least to me.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You should find an outlet for some of that stress. I like my teeth, thank you very much. Even had to get braces when I was a kid.

edit: ah, wait, I'm falling into your trap this way. Don't really see what's so insane about asking a goofy question from time to time though.

I have to say, Arti, you're handling stuff like this way better these days than you did, say, a year ago or so. Really awesome to see. What changed, though (if you don't mind my asking)?

EDIT: And now I'm feeling like maybe I shouldn't have posted this. Bringing up the past, etc etc. So feel free to ignore this if you want. Sorry.

Ping Pong - 7

So good. The series is being a great character study, looking at the different lives and circumstances and motivations of different players, with the background of Ping Pong. It's so interesting to see each character dealing with their demons, or advancing in their lives.

The execution of the anime adaptation is being good, and without that it wouldn't be the same, but imo it all starts with a good base. Here we have a good base of a Taiyo Matsumoto manga, and that is much better that "crappy LN with incest tones and otakus" or "loli echhi harem", "bland shojo" or "generic mech series with questionable writing".

It's possible to take a good manga or book and turn it into a bad anime, but it's pretty rare, and it's even more rare to take an awful manga and make a good anime from it.

cnet128

Banned

If we're just looking at stuff that's airing this season, I'd say Tonari no Seki-kun is your best bet for something that's legitimately funny. I wouldn't call it laugh-out-loud, but I'd say it would appeal to the kind of person who enjoys Nichijou. Perhaps not the greatest choice if you're looking for something to follow weekly, though, since it's ending tomorrow…

Jojo also has some very humorous moments, though of course it's not a comedy series per se.

As for "thriller"-like stuff… Hmmm. I'm not sure if there's anything that entirely fits. Wixoss this season has a dark atmosphere and does an excellent job of keeping you on the edge of your seat wondering what's going to happen next, but I'd say it's more melodramatic than actually thriller-y. (Then again, you could say the same thing about Death Note, so…)

It's the "dreary" look, I think. I got used to it though cos the story is so great. The manga has some crazy twists and the anime won't come close to where that's at (just 12 eps for some reason)

I'd put the manga right up there with some of the best I've read. I really think they did the adaptation a disservice by making it so short
One thing i like the anime is they expand the manga's plot and make it more detail

Oh anyway,the author and polygon picture implying if Sidonia get a good sales,Blame! will also get anime adaptation...also CG of course,because future.

Articalys

I have to say, Arti, you're handling stuff like this way better these days than you did, say, a year ago or so. Really awesome to see. What changed, though (if you don't mind my asking)?

EDIT: And now I'm feeling like maybe I shouldn't have posted this. Bringing up the past, etc etc. So feel free to ignore this if you want. Sorry.
Nah, it's okay. There were a couple things but getting a full-time job that keeps me from lurking here all day on the weekdays was a big one.

Midonin

Mekaku City Actors 07

So from what I'm getting, some sort of force - one that's extra-magical and extra-scientific (or at least technology inclined) turned Takane into Ene and Konoha into his current weird form. I'm wondering if the girl in the story being told in the epilogue is Marry, even though she has Ayano's voice telling the story. The way the transformations played out was presented in more of a metaphorical way, which is for the best. I like it when things like this are left up to interpretation.

I still can't hear the word Mekaku and not think of a dirtier japanese word. Probably doesn't help that I just recently rewatched a Rick and Morty episode that said the exact word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom