• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superflat

The Movie? For a second when I looked at the picture I thought they were releasing another set for the series. I need to get around to buying Anohana and Toradora one of these days.

I wish they were putting out another set for Anohana.

It angers me to no end how fucking limited their releases are.

I basically have to pre-order and have money on me at all times to get these :T

Fate/Zero 01

I was hesitant about watching this one compared to Stay/night for a few reasons. Now, I have a healthy respect for Urobuchi. Madoka (even Rebellion) is one of my favorite anime, both for how it examines and reaffirms what I love about magical girls, and Kamen Rider Gaim is fantastic. I liked Gargantia too, though I often sided with the Gargantians in forum debates. So why the wait on this one?

1. It's a prequel. And prequels often have storytelling hurdles that are more restrictive than allowing for free form creativity. The problem of dramatic tension, mostly. Also the fact that Stay/night already gave plenty of backstory relevant to its events. Expanding on that satisfies the fans, but I was doubtful it could be a good story beyond that. I've never been big into Type-Moon, or any other big universe for that matter. The disbelief that a prequel could actively reshape its parent story baffled me, but was also what forced my hand into watching it.

2. This one is pettier and entirely subjective, but Saber being the only girl participating in the Grail War. Stay/night had much better female representation among Masters and Servants, and, well, cute girls are a large part of why I watch anime. Though I realize the same argument could also apply to Gaim (and Yoko/Malika's not quite as.. stable as Saber is), but I expect that for toku. My expectations for anime are somewhat different. (Also, the harem/high school arguments against Stay/night never bothered me. Those are what I expect from anime, and blending genres has produced a lot of what makes anime work.)

3. I associated ufotable with Manabi Straight and Futakoi Alternative (and Shinobuden, which I need to see), and was wondering how the studio suddenly became known for things outside the genres I associated it with, and also hugely popular. This last one is more curiosity compared to the other two.

But I watched all of the first episode, and a lot of the exposition was stuff I already knew, but it went down a lot easier than this evening's Mahouka. The show does look very pretty and it has a good grasp of cinematography (walking in circles scene aside), but the whole feel of it overall is more.... gritty than the stuff I usually watch. Assassins and worms that look like they came out of the shadier class of eroge and whatnot. It doesn't reach the "cool and sunglasses" level where it becomes laughable, but there's very little levity to be found.

I can already see a few parallels. The Micchi of the group, the Takatora, the Kaito. I know the war really kicks off next time, and while most of the girls are small roles, I hope there's at least an Alt-Mai in their ranks, someone to keep everyone else grounded. It's not bad, but I'm still unsure going into it.

Bolded terms I have googled but haven't found any definitions for them, I assume their names of characters with archetypes that you're using or something...

Anyways regarding female representation, there's atleast 4 prominent female characters throughout the course of the show, aside from that I don't think anyone whose watched Fate/Zero had a problem with its inequality in gender representation because its an irrelevant analysis regarding the show for what it is. Not to say that seeing cute girls is a bad thing, but that's not Fate/Zero is for it has literally no fanservice.... well except for one scene at the very end, but that's a different matter entirely.

But yeah the major critique for Fate/Zero is its shoved exposition within the first episode, since you handled that pretty well the rest of the show should come easier to enjoy for you.

Speaking of Fate/Stay Night, I've looked at some youtube videos of its anime openings and.... they pretty much suck. I wonder if Ufotable will stick with the first song (as it is the one from the original VN) or create their own 2 unique openings.

CorvoSol

Zeta Gundam 28

So this is one of the episodes that I really hated back when I first watched Zeta Gundam and I think I can better articulate now what it is that I find wrong about this. First and foremost is that there is a lot of weird, sort of sexist talk going on. Fa goes on and on about how nobody is looking at Reccoa's actions from a woman's point of view, but she doesn't really explain how looking at them from a woman's perspective alters them. Beyond that, though, is the sort of half crazy assumption that being a girl makes you do stupid, silly things. An assumption which is reinforced when every man on the bridge laughs at what a stupid, silly girl Fa is and Char, while smoking a joint with Bright, muses that girls will be girls with their silly emotions and such. Reccoa spends most of this episode as a badass lady who is do a hardcore infiltration mission with balls of steel. Then Paptimus bitch slaps her and she wants nothing more than to ride his dick until the day she dies.

This touches upon a problem I have with Paptimus as a character and with Newtypeism in general: his sway over her is instantaneous and unexplained. The minute she meets him she falls in love, just as Sarah is in love with Paptimus, and other female characters as well. He has a magical sway over women that isn't explained beyond it being part of a Newtype power and isn't really demonstrated beyond "women immediately want to ride his dick." Kamille suffers from this, too (as, to varying extents, do Amuro and Judau) but with Kamille at least there's this "Oh well he's a nice guy to ladies who have only ever known abuse" but with Paptimus it feels more like he should be some kind of space wizard.

In fact, that feels like that's what Tomino wants, here: For Paptimus to be seen as something between a Space Wizard and a Womanizer but the character falls short for lack of actual charisma and mystique, relying too much upon simple "oh well magic" for every aspect of himself.

In short, I think the way that women are treated in this area of the show is pretty bad. It feels almost as if Tomino doesn't really get women, but rather than find one and ask her help on how to write a woman, just sort of barrels ahead with his really antiquated misconceptions of them, and Paptimus kind of comes to embody that entire approach.

Midonin

Not to say that seeing cute girls is a bad thing, but that's not Fate/Zero is for it has literally no fanservice.... well except for one scene at the very end, but that's a different matter entirely.
Why is this the conclusion people always jump to? I like seeing cute girls, but not always for fanservice reasons. I do like a good bit of fanservice, but most of my favorite works come from Kirara and things like Love Live - it's just that I like female characters more. Always has been that way. I don't think it's going to impact my enjoyment of the show too much (again, the Gaim lineup), but it does mean that it's not likely to become one of my favorites, even if I do end up thinking it's very good.

Articalys

Speaking of Fate/Stay Night, I've looked at some youtube videos of its anime openings and.... they pretty much suck. I wonder if Ufotable will stick with the first song (as it is the one from the original VN) or create their own 2 unique openings.
They'll probably get Kalafina/Eir Aoi/LiSA/Luna Haruna to do something for it.

Superflat

:(

I'm just trying to save people time and an extra click or two...

edit:

https://twitter.com/MadokaMagicaUSA/statuses/470301623055421440
http://madokamagicausa.com/movie.php

Finally, domestic dubbed release of the first two Madoka movies! $80 for the BD/DVD combo of both films, $30 each for the DVD standalones. Also out in July.

rA9FRpn.png

Is it a typo that they didn't put down english as a subtitles option? lol

The bonus material on disc is pretty shit as usual :T

• Textless Opening and Ending
• Theatrical Trailers
• TV CM Collections

y bother ._.

physical goods look aiite. The individual blu ray covers look really nice.

Stardust Crusaders 08

Ok first off why would they change Devo's name to Soul Sacrifice doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of avoiding copyright.
But they did a really good job of adapting one of the more forgettable fights in Part 3.
A lot of censoring still, but of course they would censor someone getting their face cut off.
BUT THE SOUNDTRACK IN THIS EPISODE DAMN
And more importantly next episode

cajunator

Banned
One Week Friends 1
so it's pretty much like 50 first dates... I can dig it.

Yes it definitely gives that vibe. Except a billion times cuter!

Is there anything running right now (or recently) that's actually suspenseful? Like, thriller-suspenseful? Deathnote/Monster/Whatever-ish suspenseful? Or maybe somewhat close?

Alternatively stuff that's really honest-to-god funny like Nichijou?

I completely lost track of what's on the market since I dunno last year.

Have you seen From The New world? Its one of the most suspenseful foreboding shows in recent memory.

I finally got this in the mail earlier today:

I re-watched it dubbed and the dub is really good. Can't go wrong with either sub or dub.

Sweet! Sub is good.

Nah, it's okay. There were a couple things but getting a full-time job that keeps me from lurking here all day on the weekdays was a big one.

Full time jobs can be insane time suckers. Congrats on yours by the way. what do you do?

I spent 4k on an anime painting. I'm usually not that impulsive.

I fully understand this method of thinking, but if you truly want something and have the means for it, then buy it. No regrets. Live as you want.

Don't know if it has been posted but here is the Sentai info from Momocon courtesy of WTK

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s1sdv1

A Tari Tari bluray?! I will double dip!
I wont even call it getting burned so much as just a second opportunity to own TariTari :)
Yes I know I have issues lol.

The best thing about a fulltime job is when you realize you don't exactly miss the time you spent sitting in front of a computer.

I spend a crazy amount of time in front of a computer at work and home. Its definitely not the healthiest obsession.

Everything looks great except Rin's profile. How do you fuck THAT up?

Fate/Zero 01

I was hesitant about watching this one compared to Stay/night for a few reasons. Now, I have a healthy respect for Urobuchi. Madoka (even Rebellion) is one of my favorite anime, both for how it examines and reaffirms what I love about magical girls, and Kamen Rider Gaim is fantastic. I liked Gargantia too, though I often sided with the Gargantians in forum debates. So why the wait on this one?

1. It's a prequel. And prequels often have storytelling hurdles that are more restrictive than allowing for free form creativity. The problem of dramatic tension, mostly. Also the fact that Stay/night already gave plenty of backstory relevant to its events. Expanding on that satisfies the fans, but I was doubtful it could be a good story beyond that. I've never been big into Type-Moon, or any other big universe for that matter. The disbelief that a prequel could actively reshape its parent story baffled me, but was also what forced my hand into watching it.

2. This one is pettier and entirely subjective, but Saber being the only girl participating in the Grail War. Stay/night had much better female representation among Masters and Servants, and, well, cute girls are a large part of why I watch anime. Though I realize the same argument could also apply to Gaim (and Yoko/Malika's not quite as.. stable as Saber is), but I expect that for toku. My expectations for anime are somewhat different. (Also, the harem/high school arguments against Stay/night never bothered me. Those are what I expect from anime, and blending genres has produced a lot of what makes anime work.)

3. I associated ufotable with Manabi Straight and Futakoi Alternative (and Shinobuden, which I need to see), and was wondering how the studio suddenly became known for things outside the genres I associated it with, and also hugely popular. This last one is more curiosity compared to the other two.

But I watched all of the first episode, and a lot of the exposition was stuff I already knew, but it went down a lot easier than this evening's Mahouka. The show does look very pretty and it has a good grasp of cinematography (walking in circles scene aside), but the whole feel of it overall is more.... gritty than the stuff I usually watch. Assassins and worms that look like they came out of the shadier class of eroge and whatnot. It doesn't reach the "cool and sunglasses" level where it becomes laughable, but there's very little levity to be found.

I can already see a few parallels. The Micchi of the group, the Takatora, the Kaito. I know the war really kicks off next time, and while most of the girls are small roles, I hope there's at least an Alt-Mai in their ranks, someone to keep everyone else grounded. It's not bad, but I'm still unsure going into it.

Dude, Fate Zero is on another level than FSN. Take everything you hated about FSN and throw it out because this is an entirely new and different experience.

Wow, they announced a lot. Here's two more:

Silver Spoon S1 DVD

Anohana Movie

Both out July 15.

DVD only again? :(

They'll probably get Kalafina/Eir Aoi/LiSA/Luna Haruna to do something for it.

I would love more Kalafina. More Yuki Kajiura in general plz.

Shirou dies, Rin marries Saber.

YESSSSSS

Kansoku

Mekaku City Actors - 7

Theory time!
I think the monster encountered Mr. Tateyama, they had Ayano, the monster encountered the snake, which gave her the eye power. I guess the power to give powers as I had imagined earlier. She gave power to her husband, Mr. Tateyama, and her daughter, Ayano. Tateyama started "working" for the monster and found kids so that the monster could give them powers, and Ayano didn't agree, so she founded Mekaku-dan to go against her parents. Don't know if it was her own decision or not, but she didn't die, she just went to a separate dimension (this could be her power). For the next episode, they will meet Haruka, Hibiya, Hiyori, and Shintaro again, and the gang will be complete. They'll go against Tateyama and the monster.
(I could just go and listen to the songs, but this is more fun)

Anyway, great episode.

Thoraxes

Nisekoi - 20 END

Chitoge-sama is truly the most stunningly radiant girl of Nisekoi.

Nobody can compare to the divine goddess that she is.

jman2050

The day somebody likes fsn* better than fate zero that person is dead to me.

*assuming ufotable version is decent, but source material is still shitty compared to fz.

The last third of Heaven's Feel scenario is about as good as Fate/Zero, to be fair.

Too bad it takes a long long time to get to that payoff but eh, VN gonna VN.

The day somebody likes fsn* better than fate zero that person is dead to me.

*assuming ufotable version is decent, but source material is still shitty compared to fz.

It will alteast be better than the original anime of F/SN that much is guaranteed. However without Urobuchi involved this does question the dialogue between characters (which F/Z succeeded in) as its now back in the hands of Nasu.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It will alteast be better than the original anime of F/SN that much is guaranteed. However without Urobuchi involved this does question the dialogue between characters (which F/Z succeeded in) as its now back in the hands of Nasu.

Probably as good as you expect. I'm hoping it's at least on par with KnK. Eh. Either way we're fucked.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Rin is alright except for the times she's around Shirou. Then she just drops 100 in IQ and acts like a dumbfuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom