• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mekakucity Actors Episode 7 - Konoha's State of the World
BoazF8SCYAEjWCs.png

Rather emotional episode, figured Kano would definitely harbor such feelings even if he's always smiling
but he seemed to even have some type of anger lurking under the surface as well, and potentially playful deceitfulness that seemed to turn into harmful negativity. Or rather the manner it was done to get Ene to remember Konoha kind of cast him in a different light then he's normally portrayed, then his eye motions in several scenes.
. Kano continuing to be greatest character.

Hadnt noticed Tateyama's eye before in the anime unless its the first scene where Ive noticed. Maybe I need to go back, I wonder if he had a role to play in helping these two seek their wish, then that snake as well. Kind of like how were so far in but we still dont know much about the origin of the abilities as well as their full extent.

Captain Planet 8
Hey a half decent episode, with little to no techno-babble. Well they did say "Script kiddie" at one time, but I recognize that word. Though as of right now I still dislike the "neo-pubescent power rangers" thing they had this episode, considering that the only two that did anything were Daichi and the annoying hacker girl.

And Daichi is now half decent with a robot, so that's a good thing too. For the next episode looks like
annoying hacker girl will get kidnapped and another bad guy appears, this time in the form of an idol.

This is slowly turning into a Star Driver wanna-be, which isn't entirely a bad thing.

Midonin

Mahouka 08

I can get behind the idea of a school tournament (though a tournament as the second arc feels a little quick), but the middle stretch of this episode had my brain tuning out partway through. Soccer match - discussion about bloomers - [magic theory that goes on] - I can fly!. I'm sure these books are popular for a reason, but all this minutiae of the universe leaves the characters feeling a little dry. And there are a lot of characters. I'm sure all these magic spells and possible applications will come up, but that is a lot of information to lay out.

Nisekoi 20 [END?]
That was a fun episode. It ended on a strong episode. It was funny. Everyone was happy. It was a fun watch. It was also painful to watch the first 15 minutes of the show be stolen from Onodera
but she got the last laugh at the end
. Now obviously they can't end here otherwise it would be another run of the mill RomCom where nothing resolves itself and plot elements have been utterly dropped yet the last transition still reminds you of the keys and locket.

So it's at this point we all start begging for a second season. It was a fun series despite some dipping points and some frustrating plot progressions and conveniences that would always play to Chitoge's favor no matter the situation.

Zeppeli

Banned
Nisekoi 20

There will be a second season, the show is doing well enough to spawn games and tons of merchandise. They still have from the manga
at least one more key girl to introduce.

Overall, decent episode, kind of surprised they seem to be maintaining the development from the LN rather than doing a separate canon. Guess it's better not to let a girl win now in hopes of another season.

jman2050

Nisekoi 20

The funny part is that this was far more Shakespeare than many actual modern adaptations. Also I was expecting Shaft to Shaft the play up because that's what they do and I wasn't disappointed in the least.

Nisekoi 20 [END?]

That was a fun episode. It ended on a strong episode. It was funny. Everyone was happy. It was a fun watch. It was also painful to watch the first 15 minutes of the show be stolen from Onodera
but she got the last laugh at the end
. Now obviously they can't end here otherwise it would be another run of the mill RomCom where nothing resolves itself and plot elements have been utterly dropped yet the last transition still reminds you of the keys and locket.

For posterity's sake, the show ended on chapter 50. The manga is currently on 123 with no end in sight.

Just saying, you have to know what you're getting into beforehand.

Also Onodera is still the worst.

Mahouka 8

Lawl Onii-sama for Gary Stu of the century.

"Hey there are three things in engineering no group of genius have ever been able to do because it seems near impossible!"

*next day*

"Onii-sama you've done it!"

hahahaha. I love this guy.

Escha and Logy - 7

Drunk Linca is best Linca.

Ah yes, so this episode we have a fight between
Linca and her evil clone sister Linca. I remember when one of my favourite shows did something very similar and it ended up being my favourite fight in the entire show.

This show, always such a cute little pleasure to watch.

Loudninja

Nisekoi 20

The funny part is that this was far more Shakespeare than many actual modern adaptations. Also I was expecting Shaft to Shaft the play up because that's what they do and I wasn't disappointed in the least.

For posterity's sake, the show ended on chapter 50. The manga is currently on 123 with no end in sight.

I would not say the worst to me she is just boring. :)

So Nisekoi just ended? I saw the first episode and shelved it because I prefer to watch shows in their entirety at my own pace. Might need to pick it up now.

jbug617

Banned
Don't know if it has been posted but here is the Sentai info from Momocon courtesy of WTK
Limited Edition releases by the holiday season:
- High School of the Dead TV & OVA
- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Season 1

Will have English dub:
- Maid-sama!
- Outbreak Company
- Sunday Without God

To be released on Blu-ray later on:
- K-ON! Season 1 with "remastered audio & remasterd everything"
- Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C³
- Tamako Market
- Tari Tari [answered in Q&A as potential English dub candidate]

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s1sdv1

jman2050

No no it's not just that. I think, let's say, Nagisa from Clannad is also boring, but I actually respect her as a character for actually doing shit, driving the story forward, and having a modicum of agency, even if I don't like her that much.

Kosaki is about as paper-thin and irritating as a 30 cent roll of toilet paper from Family Dollar and has no actual role in this story other than to be a person who is there for Raku to pine for. She quite literally is the worst!

Nisekoi 20

Oh trust me I knew what I was getting into when I started the show. But damn it, it's just so funny and entertaining to watch. I will await a second and third season with bated breath.

Also
Onodera is best girl. All other choices are wrong.

Nisekoi ended?

Good.

Now announce an adaption for AssClass so that when can move one step closer to a Shokugeki no Soma anime.

As a Date A Live II BR order bonus, Toranoana are running a prize draw for a model of what I assume is emo-Tohka's sword. They're also offering posters of the character(s) who won their public vote, which for some incomprehensible reason was the Yamais.

Kaguya is your extremely fun chuuni girl and Yuzuru is basically an Origami, but done right and superior in every conceivable way.

Add in the the fanservice scenes in Episode 3, and its really not hard to see why they would win.

Nah, it's okay. There were a couple things but getting a full-time job that keeps me from lurking here all day on the weekdays was a big one.

The best thing about a fulltime job is when you realize you don't exactly miss the time you spent sitting in front of a computer.

survivor

Banned
Have any of you guys been watching the Mickey Mouse shorts in the Disneyshorts youtube channel? They've all been pretty golden, and it goes to a humor and animation style I never expected to see from Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC6qIbU1olyXQe1WOKt8UJ4hErx3D7qt8
Watched them last year but havent checked out the episodes from the past few months. They are really visually creative , one of the few bright spots of Disney animations these days.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 68

Can they get rid of Seira now? Even Kii can go to the side a bit. Sora and Maria are enough to carry the DreAca side of things.

Also get rid of Raichi.

Wait so an arc in franchise should not be able to stand on it's own ?

Who said that ? If an arc has a start , a climax and a proper end , it's not good ? Aren't you thinking this backwards ?

What "main vilain" ? A vilain in a arc , is not necessary a recurring vilain for a franchise.
Your stance is full of misconceptions like that.
Aren't you mistaking black bullet for something it isn't?

No I'm not thinking it backwards. What you listed above constitutes what should be in arc but what I've stated is that the first arc of Black Bullet already had essentially a majority of what it introduced already wrapped up already in a definite manner within the fourth episode. Take the first arc of something like Index, its first arc was executed as a lead-in to further arcs yet concluded its own arc-centric problem which was done without resolving main overarching themes introduced. With Black Bullet, as I've stated before, the main problems introduced with a prominent built-up villain have already been resolved in such a short timeframe.

First, i haven't read the LN yet.I'm talking about rushed pacing from adaptations and i speak from my personnal point of view and i'm telling you how it is.
Second, I have no idea where you keep thinking "long running anime" here. There is nothing here that back up your claim.Heck the fast pacing you complain about is one example against it.
If anything , the anime itself by introducing new elements in that very same episode 4 contradict this . Why because all the long running anime show finales uses elements already established to reach their climax. But This episode 4 , BB is still introducing new factors to the viewer. Faced with those new elements of world building , it cannot be the "ending of a long running anime" you speak of.

Well of course its not the end of a long running anime because its only been 4 episodes, that's the point. The argument I'm bringing forth is that it was executed as such. Take episode 4 of Black Bullet and compare it to the endings of Railgun, Fate/Zero, SAO (ew), etc. Said episode is executed eerily similar to the endings of each one of these animes and similar ones in how much it had built up and how it concluded. Hence why I feel it is of a rushed nature.

Midonin

Fate/Zero 01

I was hesitant about watching this one compared to Stay/night for a few reasons. Now, I have a healthy respect for Urobuchi. Madoka (even Rebellion) is one of my favorite anime, both for how it examines and reaffirms what I love about magical girls, and Kamen Rider Gaim is fantastic. I liked Gargantia too, though I often sided with the Gargantians in forum debates. So why the wait on this one?

1. It's a prequel. And prequels often have storytelling hurdles that are more restrictive than allowing for free form creativity. The problem of dramatic tension, mostly. Also the fact that Stay/night already gave plenty of backstory relevant to its events. Expanding on that satisfies the fans, but I was doubtful it could be a good story beyond that. I've never been big into Type-Moon, or any other big universe for that matter. The disbelief that a prequel could actively reshape its parent story baffled me, but was also what forced my hand into watching it.

2. This one is pettier and entirely subjective, but Saber being the only girl participating in the Grail War. Stay/night had much better female representation among Masters and Servants, and, well, cute girls are a large part of why I watch anime. Though I realize the same argument could also apply to Gaim (and Yoko/Malika's not quite as.. stable as Saber is), but I expect that for toku. My expectations for anime are somewhat different. (Also, the harem/high school arguments against Stay/night never bothered me. Those are what I expect from anime, and blending genres has produced a lot of what makes anime work.)

3. I associated ufotable with Manabi Straight and Futakoi Alternative (and Shinobuden, which I need to see), and was wondering how the studio suddenly became known for things outside the genres I associated it with, and also hugely popular. This last one is more curiosity compared to the other two.

But I watched all of the first episode, and a lot of the exposition was stuff I already knew, but it went down a lot easier than this evening's Mahouka. The show does look very pretty and it has a good grasp of cinematography (walking in circles scene aside), but the whole feel of it overall is more.... gritty than the stuff I usually watch. Assassins and worms that look like they came out of the shadier class of eroge and whatnot. It doesn't reach the "cool and sunglasses" level where it becomes laughable, but there's very little levity to be found.

I can already see a few parallels. The Micchi of the group, the Takatora, the Kaito. I know the war really kicks off next time, and while most of the girls are small roles, I hope there's at least an Alt-Mai in their ranks, someone to keep everyone else grounded. It's not bad, but I'm still unsure going into it.

Articalys

Wow, they announced a lot. Here's two more:

Silver Spoon S1 DVD
silverspoon_set1_l.jpg

Barebones set for $60

Anohana Movie
anohana1_sugatami_l.jpg

Three different versions: barebones DVD for $30 and BD for $40, and the BD/DVD combo LE at $70 which gets you:

■Compilation Music CD including the Theme Song by GALILEO GALILEI “Circle Game”
■Memorial Postcard Set
■Double-sided Menma Poster
■Deluxe Booklet
■Box Illustrated by MASAYOSHI TANAKA (character design)
Both out July 15.

The Irregular At Magic High School Episode 8: Nine Schools Competition Part 1
BobOhe_CcAAuENy.png

The magic discussion about the problem with the flying type magic was always one of my favorite in the novel and it was done good here because of the visuals and the way it was handled
especially at the end with Tatsuya solving it in an episodes time span and further going out there later to Four Leaves to Test it.
. Best onii-sama.

Mikihiko, Leo, and Tatsuya assembled for best ot3 of the arc and series thus far made this the best start yet. The soccer match was incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom