• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomZ

Gargantia 9
Man that episode was awesome.
Wonder how Ledo will react next episode after Chamber straight up squished that humanoid whalesquid at the end.

Jex

That's a compliment! Shinkai was able to match his beautiful visuals to the story he was trying to tell in some really effective ways, when at past those two elements have been at odds with each other. It probably helps that there weren't any science fiction elements.

Some really great editing and use of music.

A backhanded compliment then!

Branduil

That's a compliment! Shinkai was able to match his beautiful visuals to the story he was trying to tell in some really effective ways, when at past those two elements have been at odds with each other. It probably helps that there weren't any science fiction elements.

Some really great editing and use of music.

Yes, Shinkai's films have always had excellent visuals, but it's the utilization of these visuals in service of the characterization and themes, and his use of symbolic imagery, which feels like the biggest step up from his previous works. In some ways it reminds me of the first twenty minutes of Wolf Children, although Shinkai still has a ways to go if he wants to reach Hosoda's level.

A backhanded compliment then!

Backhanded to Shinkai's career up to now, perhaps, but Garden of Words itself is nothing but a positive step forwards for him. He should be commended for the improvement.

Yes, Shinkai's films have always had excellent visuals, but it's the utilization of these visuals in service of the characterization and themes, and his use of symbolic imagery, which feels like the biggest step up from his previous works. In some ways it reminds me of the first twenty minutes of Wolf Children, although Shinkai still has a ways to go if he wants to reach Hosoda's level.

Some of the montages and visual storytelling did remind me of Wolf Children, for instance when it shows Takao gradually moving closer to Yukino during successive meetings. Though as you say, it's still clumsier and on a much smaller scale than Hosoda's film.

Jojo's Bizarre OVA (2000) 3

36Pu5.jpg
36PKw.jpg

POSING IS STILL A THING! Thanks Polnareff! And keep up the broship

Unsurprisingly, this is more detailed in regards of violence compared to 2012, but it was the Broadcast version afterall.

I knew the orangutan was suspicious. IT WAS A STAND USER, THE BOAT WAS ITS STAND! BIZARRE

Considering the Stand of the Week kind of approach, it makes me wonder how such an idea was pulled off in the later series, considering Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency did not follow that format whatsoever. And on top of that, Diamond is Unbreakable is also longer than Stardust Crusaders.

Pooya

Gargantia 9-

DAT UROBUCHI HEALING TOUCH

I was thinking before, Gargantia doesn't really feel like something Urobuchi would write, it was very simple and happy/relaxing, now it feels like a pretty good Urobuchi series (he totally has done this same thing before, lol), I expect the other half of the series to be quite different than first half now, excitement.

Theonik

I was thinking before, Gargantia doesn't really feel like something Urobuchi would write, it was very simple and happy/relaxing, now it feels like a pretty good Urobuchi series (he totally has done this same thing before, lol), I expect the other half of the series to be quite different than first half now, excitement.
That's because Urobochi only wrote episode 1 from the rest of the episodes.
Do we know for sure he did 09? Can't source that.

2ILStuR.png

The smile on this girl

Date a Live 10

Disappointed about the battle being shorten, but I did enjoy
Kurumi's headshot to Kotori
and
Kotori's cannon in action

Rest of the episode was okay. Music is still good as ever, and the latter half with Origami was surprisingly enjoyable.

Pooya

he's responsible for overall series composition, his influence on the story is pretty obvious, it's not about individual episodes.

Jarmel

Banned

Well according to ANN, he's listed under Original Concept. He also did the Series Composition so he probably had a say or possibly Murata picked Urobuchi because of stuff like Madoka.

Syrinx

Bakemonogatari 9

Sengoku is still calling him "Koyomi Onii-chan" even after it's been years since they've seen each other. That's some big brother complex she's got going on there. That second grade video flashback did show how much he and his sister meant to her though.

Suruga has a filthy, filthy mind. She's stalking Koyomi to see what freaky shit he buys, looks around his room for freaky shit, and assumes that Sengoku,s scars were from bondage ropes (though I think I probably assumes the same if I saw that).

No Hitagi in this episode. Not cool. Suruga is cool, but this show can only attain max quality when Hitagi Senjyogahara is present.

Koyomi hinted in the prologue that this story isn't going to end particularly well, and that things my have turned out differently if he had recognised Sengoku from the beginning. Maybe it has to do with the talisman he placed or the snake they buried.

Theonik

he's responsible for overall series composition, his influence on the story is pretty obvious, it's not about individual episodes.
Yes, but I was just trying to explain why the rest of the series hasn't felt like an Urobochi thing. He's probably responsible for the twist on this episode though.

cnet128

Banned
All these Gargantia impressions are certainly sounding like hype. I'd better get around to watching that episode soon!

But first,

Futari wa Precure 22-26

Aaaaaand that's a wrap for the first big arc!

With four of the Dark Five out of the picture, there was just one more left to defeat...but Ilkubo turns out to be even more overpowered than the Cures' brief encounter with him in Episode 19 would suggest. Not only do the Cures' physical attacks do nothing to faze him (though let's be honest, what have they ever worked against?), he can even crush a full-on PRECURE MARBLE SCREW blast with his bare hands!

And in fact, after the Cures make the silly mistake of
telling him who's taking care of the Prism Stones
, he even manages to
use the power of the PRECURE MARBLE SCREW against them, utilising its energy to open a portal to the dimension where the recovered Prism Stones are hidden and steal them, guardian and all, for himself!
And the following morning, he's back to
steal the final two Stones from Mipple and Mepple
, a task which he also achieves with ease.

There really isn't anything that the Cures can do against this guy, so it seems awfully convenient when
the Prism Stones, united in the hands of evil at last, don't power him up as you might expect, but actually overwhelm him with their power, rendering him temporarily weaker
. Of course the Cures wouldn't miss this opportunity to unleash one last PRECURE MARBLE SCREW, and this one finally hits home, blasting away their final enemy.

Finally, all the Prism Stones are recovered, and it turns out the next step is for the Cures to travel to the Garden of Light itself, courtesy of a GIANT MAGICAL RAINBOW and Porun, the most annoying Prince you will ever meet-popo. I recognise this guy's name-popo, so I presume he will be sticking around-popo, which is honestly a little depressing-popo. Mipple, Mepple, I'm sorry I ever said anything against you guys! You're all right really! Get this little shit out of my face!

Anyway, the Garden of Light is a pretty sickly-sweet place, filled with flowers and mascots and OH GOD WHAT IS THAT CG MONSTROSITY. Seriously guys, forget the Evil King or whatever, this Queen is clearly the manifestation of all that is wrong with the world. You should throw Porun at her repeatedly until she smashes into a thousand pieces.

But sadly there's no time to make plans to destroy the true evil of this land, because Ilkubo rises from the dead to
drag our heroes off to the DotsukuZone
. Then he gets a little carried away and
aims an attack at the Prism Stones
, so his master the King of All Evil and Darkness and Standing In The Distance Looking Threatening is all like
"yeah, you should go back to being dead" and lightnings him into oblivion

Of course, not caring for one's own nakama (my autocorrect tried to turn that one into Nakamura...) is the most unforgivable thing any villain can ever do, so filled with righteous indignation and with a little help from the manifestation of all that is wrong with the world, the Cures blast the King into nothingness and that's the end of that chapter.

Peace is returned to the Garden of Light! Nagisa and Honoka get to go home in time for tea! Mepple and Mipple decide to stay in their homeland for about as long as it takes to have a tearful farewell before following the Cures right back to the human world! Everything is happiness and rainbows!

Except of course there are still lots of episodes to go, so next time some kind of new evil is going to attack. Which sends us straight back to square one, only this time with more Porun. So can we really call this a victory?

All these Gargantia impressions are certainly sounding like hype. I'd better get around to watching that episode soon!

But first,

Futari wa Precure 22-26
"DotsukuZone"

What the fuck is this shit?

Anyway, learn to love Porun, he is the almighty cock block
also because he isn't leaving anytime soon

Don't expect much in memorability with the next set of villains though.

Mature

[Gargantia] - 9

I hope you like 12 minutes of exposition.

If you can stomach that, then I'm sure you'll enjoy it quite a bit.
I thought the exposition was well handled, really. It was sure better than the type of exposition we got in Psycho-Pass that just involved two people sitting in a room and talking.

Edit: Though if Urobuchi didn't write the screenplay that's not a very fair comparison.

[Gargantia] - 9

Oh yes, I should also mention that this is another show this season with extremely overt Evangelion references. Who'd have thunk it?

Not a subtle reference either, it's a pretty iconic scene.
I saw this post before watching the episode, so I was actively looking for what it could be. At first I thought
It was young Pinion looking out the side of his Yunboro and seeing the whalesquid's eye change shape, similar to Shinji seeing the armorless 01's eye in the first episode of Eva.
But it became all too obvious by the end which one you were referring to, hah.

cnet128

Banned
What the fuck is this shit?

The Internet tells me that it's usually rendered "Dusk Zone" or "Dark Zone" in English, but come on, neither of those are nearly punny enough. DotsukuZone is right up there with Zakenna and Gomenna in the villainous-names-you-can't-take-seriously stakes.

(For the benefit of the Japanese-impaired, "zakenna" means "don't screw with me", "gomen na" means "I'm sorry~!", and "dotsuku zo!" means "Imma punch you!")

How is Hachiman oblivious?
His internal monologues make it pretty clear he knows how she feels.

Full disclosure: I was watching the episodes after having stayed up all night, so I may have missed something.
Hachiman believes that she only likes him/hangs out with him because of the accident when she actually genuinely likes him, so in that sense he's oblivious.

Jex

I thought the exposition was well handled, really. It was sure better than the type of exposition we got in Psycho-Pass that just involved two people sitting in a room and talking.
Exposition has been present in anime far longer than Gen has been involved in writing it!

The Internet tells me that it's usually rendered "Dusk Zone" or "Dark Zone" in English, but come on, neither of those are nearly punny enough. DotsukuZone is right up there with Zakenna and Gomenna in the villainous-names-you-can't-take-seriously stakes.

(For the benefit of the Japanese-impaired, "zakenna" means "don't screw with me", "gomen na" means "I'm sorry~!", and "dotsuku zo!" means "Imma punch you!")

I feel like dying now.

Jex

[Gargantia] - 9

You know,
the twist in this episode was obvious since before we even reached the half-way point. All the signs were pointing to it, and as soon as the logo for the video popped up on Ledo's view-screen I knew that the intertwined helix structures meant that humans and hideazure were mixed because that what it always means in science-fiction. Yet, in spite of all the evidence (including the human like babies earlier on) I still feel like the 'revelation' was delivered with some degree of impact. That's good stuff.

Theonik

[Gargantia] - 9

You know,
the twist in this episode was obvious since before we even reached the half-way point. All the signs were pointing to it, and as soon as the logo for the video popped up on Ledo's view-screen I knew that the intertwined helix structures meant that humans and hideazure were mixed because that what it always means in science-fiction. Yet, in spite of all the evidence (including the human like babies earlier on) I still feel like the 'revelation' was delivered with some degree of impact. That's good stuff.
The episode did a fantastic job at giving adequate buildup to the revelation so it still held its impact but didn't feel contrived. The series certainly deserves credit for that.

Utena 28

No one ever wears seat belts in this show even though the rate of car crashes is through the roof! Luckily no one is ever hurt because who the hell watches this show for plausibility as long as its tied to a cool visual or theme? Can't say I feel too sorry for Shiori either way because the real victim is always...

Utena 29

Poor poor Jury, always on the worst side of love triangles. This show is at its best when it breaks its own patterns and this episode had that in spades. I was wary last episode about introducing a new character so late into the show but the revelation of his intentions this episode, the parallel duel he brought about, and the break in Jury's calm demeanor he caused made him a great plot device. Throw in the always surprising way that Jury's duels end in and the general meatiness her character arc has and you end up with my favorite Utena episode so far. Is there any consensus on the best characters in this show because Jury is most definitely at the top for me.

Hakkenden Eight Dogs of the East 5

Bored to tears.

Shino is just not that interesting of a protagonist unless he pulls out Murasame or Sosuke is with him.

hxh 82

holy shit. Finally something well animated fights.

I forget, is Nen something all living things have that you need to unlock, or is it a natural born thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom