• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Of course, since this is SyFy, my greatest fear will be that
both the space humans and space China will show up in Earth orbit and then fight each other, while Ledo has to sacrifice himself somehow in order to bring peace to humanity
. Boo. :(
Yeah. I've been dreading this since the beginning. Please don't happen.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Gargantia] 09

Two Evangelion references, not one.
It was a combination of Bardiel and Tabris.
Hideaki Anno was a fucking genius.

The revelation that SQUID ARE PEOPLE TOO would have been more mind-blowing if they hadn't telegraphed it as soon as the Hideauze children appeared.

[Gargantia] 09

Two Evangelion references, not one.
You don goofed!

Also I don't think it telegraphed that twist, I assumed they were going for a
Showing that Ledo/Chamber were becoming the "monsters" mass murdering peaceful whalesquid the way the Hideauze had been massacring humans in the past.

Gargantia 08
554fBWW.png

lol

The music in this show is absolutely fantastic. The scene with Ridget looking at the pictures was really poignant with the minimal piano.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. I've been dreading this since the beginning. Please don't happen.

Hold me. :(

I don't get the impression this is going to go down some super cliche trope filled finale like that

I wouldn't have believed that writers could make a Star Trek movie worse than Nemesis or Final Frontier, but here we are. lol

(Yamato is the one show that I've unconditionally pinned my hopes on, so I'm prepared to be heartbroken in a few months if it turns to shit).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Netageo has added English subtitles to their video tour of Tokyo International Anime Fair 2013 GAiNAX booth's section called The Theory of Gainax Animation, an always informative look into a show's production process:

Comment faire un animé selon GAINAX #67 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyAYuCcVnBc

Matt Alt described it well, after all!

As you can see, an 'attrezzo' ring recycled from Mr. Yamaga's The Rhine Gold staging and some posters weren't the only attractions on their TAF showing (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51819645&postcount=1699). :)
This is some great stuff.

Dresden

-----

Gargantia 9

Yeah, that was to be expected. At least the infodump wasn't interminable like it was in SSY.

It was telegraphed years ago in a fanfic.

John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn’t see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad “I want to be on the ships daddy.”
Dad said “No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS”
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
“This is Joson” the radio crackered. “You must fight the demons!”
So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
“HE GOING TO KILL US” said the demons
“I will shoot at him” said the cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
“No! I must kill the demons” he shouted
The radio said “No, John. You are the demons”
And then John was a zombie.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Honestly, I think this is still pretty stupid. But in a dumb
X-Files
direction.

But then again, I mostly hate
conspiracy bullshit stuff anyway.

(Although,
Obama is clearly a secret Muslim
, right?)

It's a textbook twist for this kind of narrative, but I don't think that it's actively stupid. A
conspiratorial
element to the grand revelation seems entirely consistent with the exploration of two philosophically and culturally-opposite societies; while Gargantia
typically has guileless leaders who genuinely work for the good of the people
, the Galactic Federation
is deceitful, manipulative, and hides the true reason for its war against the Hideauze from its soldiers due to the now-apparent reality that even the most obedient soldier will disobey if he discovers that the Hideauze are also human
. It actually made the previous episode more meaningful in retrospect, as
Captain Deadbeard and Ridget's characters
now stand in stark contrast to ethical opposites.

I like curveball twists, but Gargantia has pretty consistently played it safe thus far and I'd rather see it remain merely-competent-but-enjoyable than suddenly choose to take a wild chance only to implode in the final stretch.

What's going on Anime-GAF? Funny, when I first got on GAF I decided to be a part of anime-GAF but I never seem to have time to watch it and discuss with you guys, anyway I will be doing so now that I have time.

I missed all of last year and heard that these three shows were really good but don't know which show I should start on, some advice would be amazing: Hyouka, Fate/Zero and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

And finally I recently ordered Summer Wars on blu-ray and 3 came in. The first was damaged so I called for a replacement and sent that back. The second came in and for some reason I got a third so I am deciding to give it away to some GAfers :), first person to PM me will get the copy for free, I'll handle the shipping fees.

Edit: movie is gone.

What's going on Anime-GAF? Funny, when I first got on GAF I decided to be a part of anime-GAF but I never seem to have time to watch it and discuss with you guys, anyway I will be doing so now that I have time.

I missed all of last year and heard that these three shows were really good but don't know which show I should start on, some advice would be amazing: Hyouka, Fate/Zero and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

And finally I recently ordered Summer Wars on blu-ray and 3 came in. The first was damaged so I called for a replacement and sent that back. The second came in and for some reason I got a third so I am deciding to give it away to some GAfers :), first person to PM me will get the copy for free, I'll handle the shipping fees.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure could be considered... Fabulous. there's plenty of vibrant colors throughout the show, and expect a lot of posing. And battles rely more on wits than other shonen animes, so it's more entertaining to watch.

Wes

venison crêpe
Gargantia (thus far)

I'm really enjoying this series. So far the mix between light-hearted fluff and plot has been good. I like the animation, none of the characters repulse me and the story is intriguing.

Good stuff.

Attack on Titan 9

I'm enjoying this a lot more in anime form then I did in manga form, maybe it's because I've found a place to accept what direction the series takes after being pissed reading the manga.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure could be considered... Fabulous. there's plenty of vibrant colors throughout the show, and expect a lot of posing. And battles rely more on wits than other shonen animes, so it's more entertaining to watch.

What shows are similar to it?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ledo is the space baby. It all fits.
:haly

It's a textbook twist for this kind of narrative, but I don't think that it's actively stupid. A
conspiratorial
element to the grand revelation seems entirely consistent with the exploration of two philosophically and culturally-opposite societies; while Gargantia
typically has guileless leaders who genuinely work for the good of the people
, the Galactic Federation
is deceitful, manipulative, and hides the true reason for its war against the Hideauze from its soldiers due to the now-apparent reality that even the most obedient soldier will disobey if he discovers that the Hideauze are also human
. It actually made the previous episode more meaningful in retrospect, as
Captain Deadbeard and Ridget's characters
now stand in stark contrast to ethical opposites.

I like curveball twists, but Gargantia has pretty consistently played it safe thus far and I'd rather see it remain merely-competent-but-enjoyable than suddenly choose to take a wild chance only to implode in the final stretch.
My biggest fear is that they ruin the show with how they reveal their hand. I just think it would have been more interesting if it wasn't as simple as herp derp
we were the monstarz all along
. It's why I almost wished that the show had absolutely no ties to the greater universe at all and was a simple Mark Twain ripoff and not THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE IS AT PLAY and so forth.

Hyouka.

And that's generous of you!

What shows are similar to it?

Hmmmm....

I can't really put my finger on something I can think of immediately, in regards to tone, or fighting style. Too conditioned with having the bigger Move Peen seen in other shonen. I don't know why part of mind is drifting to Hunter x Hunter in regards to battles though.

Hyouka is my personal favorite of those three. It has the best production values and the most interesting character development.

Well I don't know what Summer Wars is so...

...Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure tends to change up the main character. However, only two parts were animated in the 2012 version, so there's only 2 Jostars to deal with. Part 3 has the 2000 and 1993 OVAs which are heavily condensed and features a different style from the 2012 version. Everything else hasn't been animated.

Thoraxes

Definitely watch Jojo or Fate/Zero.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Digimon: Our War Game > Summer Wars
lol

I'm definitely considering that or JoJo right now

and it seems as if no one wants it right now, I have yet to receive a PM for it hmmm.. Do people not like Summer wars? or perhaps they already own it. I for one enjoyed it.
Well, I haven't seen Jojo and I thought F/Z had probably the worst opening episode of anything in recent memory, for what that's worth. Hyouka is also an acquired taste though, admittedly.

And I'm sure someone will take you up on your offer soon!

cnet128

Banned

I haven't seen Fate/Zero myself, but of the other two I'd definitely favour JoJo. It's just so good, nobody should miss out on it.

That said, JoJo and Hyouka are two very different types of show, so it really depends what you're looking for. JoJo is intense, fast-paced and incredibly over-the-top, with great battles, villains you love to hate, and manliness through the roof. It's lacking in the animation department (to the extent that it has become something of a joke among fans), but the presentation is clearly a labour of love and makes the most of its limited resources.

Hyouka on the other hand is an introspective, very slow-paced, down-to-earth show in which very little actually happens, but the characters really draw you in. And it's on the complete opposite end of the animation scale to JoJo, with possibly the highest production values ever seen in a TV anime.

Hunter x Hunter 82

This arc really is great. My memories of this stuff in the manga is really, really fuzzy (about the only thing I remembered from this episode was Kite's ability) which just makes it even more satisfying to experience it fresh in such a well-executed form.

The ants we saw in this episode basically amount to
random throwaway mooks who don't survive the fight they're introduced in
, but their designs and personalities were still a "pleasure" to observe, and did a great job of backing up Kite's point that
absorbing such an evil bunch of humans has made the ants even more twisted and dangerous than they already were
. And those battles...hot damn. It was all fairly straightforward stuff, but still full of intensity, twists and surprises. I can't wait to see some of the more crazy battles down the line play out in the anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I liked Hyouka and Fate/Zero about equally, albeit for very different reasons. On the other hand, I'm not as enthusiastic about JoJo as most other people here as I found the bad production qualities to be actively detrimental to my enjoyment. Watch Fate/Zero if you're in the mood for something grandiose and watch Hyouka if you want something more subtle.

Today I learned Amy is Squid Girl.

Gargantia 09

This is my favorite of the "serious" shows this season.

Well that was pretty unexpected, but at the same time, well OF course the Alliance is manipulating information. It was pretty obvious from the docile nature of the whalesquid before that they weren't necessarily searching for an all out war with the Alliance.

So, are the whalesquid actually humans or are they the symbiotic life form that composes their non-human side? Also, I'm wondering if they're going to be capable of actual communication with the humans.

The guy who first tested out the squidsuits had a daughter who looked a lot like Amy.

Dresden

I was okay with JoJo's "qurks" for the most part, but there's a stretch of episodes in the second arc
the pillar men introduction
where it's just so, so goddamn ugly.

Detective Conan 203-204:
First episode: Nothing's happening, nothing's happening, nothing's happening, oh look, the episode is over. Oh, and those two weird maids from that special are back despite having no personality and existing solely for twin fetishers (one of whom most be an assistant director on this shit or something).

Second episode: Wow, that was a ridiculously dumb trick.

Kogorou was also written as pretty idiotic in this story. Plus, the employee's of this hotel are pretty carefree, just leaving the whole thing in Kogorou's hands the entire day. I'm also beginning to wonder if 'Kogorou, Ran and Conan are staying at some random hotel for no specific reason' should be drinking game worthy. I've lost count of how many AO cases have this premise.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I haven't seen Fate/Zero myself, but of the other two I'd definitely favour JoJo. It's just so good, nobody should miss out on it.

That said, JoJo and Hyouka are two very different types of show, so it really depends what you're looking for. JoJo is intense, fast-paced and incredibly over-the-top, with great battles, villains you love to hate, and manliness through the roof. It's lacking in the animation department (to the extent that it has become something of a joke among fans), but the presentation is clearly a labour of love and makes the most of its limited resources.

Hyouka on the other hand is an introspective, very slow-paced, down-to-earth show in which very little actually happens, but the characters really draw you in. And it's on the complete opposite end of the animation scale to JoJo, with possibly the highest production values ever seen in a TV anime.
Ugh. Jojo was so garbage.... I couldn't watch it just because it was so boring and rainbows everywhere it made Lucky Charms look like a fucking black and white movie. Jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom