• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detective Conan 203-204:
First episode: Nothing's happening, nothing's happening, nothing's happening, oh look, the episode is over. Oh, and those two weird maids from that special are back despite having no personality and existing solely for twin fetishers (one of whom most be an assistant director on this shit or something).

Second episode: Wow, that was a ridiculously dumb trick.

Kogorou was also written as pretty idiotic in this story. Plus, the employee's of this hotel are pretty carefree, just leaving the whole thing in Kogorou's hands the entire day. I'm also beginning to wonder if 'Kogorou, Ran and Conan are staying at some random hotel for no specific reason' should be drinking game worthy. I've lost count of how many AO cases have this premise.

Why do you continue to watch anime-original Conan stories when they seem to be almost universally bad?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I was okay with JoJo's "qurks" for the most part, but there's a stretch of episodes in the second arc
the pillar men introduction
where it's just so, so goddamn ugly.

I'm stalled out right after that. The internal monologues and tedious explanation of powers became unbearable to me, and without much in the way of actually-animated action to compensate for this, my interest just disappeared.

I love what's buried underneath all of the production flaws, so I have no idea why I haven't just switched to the manga yet.

My biggest fear is that they ruin the show with how they reveal their hand. I just think it would have been more interesting if it wasn't as simple as herp derp
we were the monstarz all along
. It's why I almost wished that the show had absolutely no ties to the greater universe at all and was a simple Mark Twain ripoff and not THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE IS AT PLAY and so forth.

Even if it's a predictable twist, it still feels right for the show, and I guess I just have to leave it at that.

I've always been of the opinion that the show would have been much better if it was established in the second or third episode that Ledo beyond a shadow of a doubt could never rejoin his fleet and that the remainder of the series was simply a breezy, zero-stakes tale of assimilation into a foreign society as Ledo struggles to accept that the war no longer affects him. In that regard, I think we probably agree.

Thoraxes

Ugh. Jojo was so garbage.... I couldn't watch it just because it was so boring and rainbows everywhere it made Lucky Charms look like a fucking black and white movie. Jeez.

Dyi0Ifk.gif

7Th

The first Digimon movie is actually better than both Our Wargame and Summer Wars; one of Hosoda's most heartfelt and artistic efforts.

Syrinx

Glass Fleet 3

"Is the.Black Cross some kind of soap now?"

"Why did you sell me out?"
"What are you talking about?"
"You sold my ship!"
"And your point is?"

"Feel out that current in your life."
"Yeah sure."

These exchanges aside, more than anything, the dialogue in this show is just grating. Maybe if there wasn't so much dissonance between Michel's overly melodramatic dialogue and Cleo seemingly giving just about no fucks whatsoever when he speaks, I could maybe take this just a bit more seriously. What's he going to be like when he's angry? That's either going to be the first time I respect him or the most cringe-worthy thing ever. I suspect the latter.

And tell Ralph to go blow a rhino. "Oh Vet-TAY. Are you going to marry that girl Vet-TAY?" Goddamn I hate you.

Glass Fleet 3

These exchanges aside, more than anything, the dialogue in this show is just grating. Maybe if there wasn't so much dissonance between Michel's overly melodramatic dialogue and Cleo seemingly giving just about no fucks whatsoever when he speaks, I could maybe take this just a bit more seriously. What's he going to be like when he's angry? That's either going to be the first time I respect him or the most cringe-worthy thing ever. I suspect the latter.

You're not supposed to take this seriously. Well, I'm sure the show's creators wanted you to, but they were too inept to make anything but a farce.

You should watch Glass Fleet Abridged after each episode to get you in the right mindset.

Why do you continue to watch anime-original Conan stories when they seem to be almost universally bad?

Well, some of them are actually quite good. A lot of them are bad, but there have been a few times that I've really enjoyed an episode, and many more times that I found some to be inoffensive and a decent use of 22 minutes. It's just that occasionally they get really dumb (and then I wind up ranting about them, which probably twists the perception of them some).

Plus, I have horrible OCD and feel like I can't skip episodes. It's still Detective Conan, after all. I wouldn't recommend them in good conscience to anyone who isn't already down this rabbit hole, but I've come this far, so I might as well see it all the way through.

Fox Kids Digimon Movie Dub > Digimon: Our War Game.

The Saban dub of Digimon was a crime.

7Th

Hayao Miyazaki said:
When we compare a man in action and a girl in action, I feel girls are more gallant. If a boy is walking with a long stride, I don't think anything particular, but if a girl is walking gallantly, I feel "that's cool."

Miyazaki's finest moment.

Wonder why there are these arguments over Hosoda's movies, there's nothing controversial or divisive about any of them or any of the opinions regarding them. Still good stuff deserves to be talked about I guess. Anyway I just wanted to say...

Utena 34

I freaking called it,
Himemiya is a goddamn witch!
Never expected it to actually happen and especially not in this way but still. Anyway back to Poopsocking Utena.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wonder why there are these arguments over Hosoda's movies, there's nothing controversial or divisive about any of them or any of the opinions regarding them. Still good stuff deserves to be talked about I guess. Anyway I just wanted to say...

Utena 34

I freaking called it,
Himemiya is a goddamn witch!
Never expected it to actually happen and especially not in this way but still. Anyway back to Poopsocking Utena.

YEAH!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gargantia 9:
Clumsy, and about par for the course for this show. Not that I expected it but I'm not really surprised either.

A by-the-books tweest courtesy of the Butcher.

Tamerlane

Banned
Could someone explain to me why Angel's Egg gets the reverence that it does? I generally really like Oshii's stuff, but I feel like that was one of the worst of his works that I've seen by far.

Could someone explain to me why Angel's Egg gets the reverence that it does? I generally really like Oshii's stuff, but I feel like that was one of the worst of his works that I've seen by far.

Because it

- is beautiful, with lovely Amano character designs, good character/hair animation, an imaginative fantastical landscape with lots of striking imagery.

- has a well written ambient soundtrack.

- has a very evocative atmosphere.

- contains meaningful religious - Christian, to be precise - imagery used by someone who actually knows what he's talking about. (Oshii at one time intended to become a Catholic priest.)

- has a message which isn't straightforward or obvious but reveals itself as you peel back the layers of the onion.

In summary, it's a well-made, substantial work which rewards rewatching and careful contemplation.

Narag

Sengoku Basara S2 3

I think Keiji Maeda might be my favorite character in this which is wholly unexpected. Figured it'd be Date or something but given it's a series of mostly simple characters,Keiji's internal conflict is really appealing. Kojuro might be second for all that bitchin' shinobi stuff.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure 27-29

Three episodes, three new antagonists introduced. And judging from what the third one said at the end of his episode, it sounds like these three are going to be our lot for the time being. They don't exactly seem to have much personality, but they do a good job of being creepy. Despite all having human forms, they feel more "inhuman" than the Dark Five. They also seem to draw their power from absorbing forces of nature, which is...interesting, I guess?

As for Porun, I'm starting to think my first impressions of him were a little harsh. He can certainly be annoying, but he's also kind of adorable. He seems to like hopping off alone and having his own mini-adventures (invariably tiring himself out along the way), which is vaguely heartwarming. Awwwww, look at the little guy go.

Futari wa Precure 27-29

Three episodes, three new antagonists introduced. And judging from what the third one said at the end of his episode, it sounds like these three are going to be our lot for the time being. They don't exactly seem to have much personality, but they do a good job of being creepy. Despite all having human forms, they feel more "inhuman" than the Dark Five. They also seem to draw their power from absorbing forces of nature, which is...interesting, I guess?

As for Porun, I'm starting to think my first impressions of him were a little harsh. He can certainly be annoying, but he's also kind of adorable. He seems to like hopping off alone and having his own mini-adventures (invariably tiring himself out along the way), which is vaguely heartwarming. Awwwww, look at the little guy go.

I think Max Heart won't do too much damage at this rate... in the Porun aspect at least.

Syrinx

Futari wa Precure 27-29

Hey, another guy who doesn't hate Porun.

I think you, cajunator, and I are alone in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom