• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sprites that look like things they're not supposed to

Durden77

Don't know if anyone else saw this one, but growing up I used to think the P-Wing from Mario 3 was a gloved hand pointing.

Se28Njs.jpg

This was definitely a thing for me. Had no idea why I glove would make me fly infinitely but I didn't care.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My brain is literally not able to accept that Black Omen = Star Destroyer stuff. It's been a floating tower my entire life.

But... that shadow isn't like the one in the original pic at all. It's further up so it looks like the pyramid pic. If that was how it looked, I would understand the confusion.
But no:

This is what I see, and I see this very clearly:

I dunno how it actually looks in game since I have not yet played it, but based on the original pic there was no question for me that is was a flat-ish thing.
In the game, it actually also bobs up and down, which makes it even more confusing.

I've always thought of it as a tower, but when you actually enter it as a dungeon, it doesn't have many floors, so I always thought you just stuck around the ground level, with the top being decorative.

Madao

Bullit_bill_smb_1.png

I could not see the arm and eye on this bullet bill from Super Mario Bros. I had no idea bullet bill even had an arm or eye until years later when it was made clear in subsequent games. I just thought those light parts were because it was shiny and gleaming in the sunlight.

i thought both white spots were eyes when i was a kid. it wasn't until later in games with higher detail that i could see the real form.

Bullit_bill_smb_1.png

I could not see the arm and eye on this bullet bill from Super Mario Bros. I had no idea bullet bill even had an arm or eye until years later when it was made clear in subsequent games. I just thought those light parts were because it was shiny and gleaming in the sunlight.

Up until a few years ago, I thought Bullet Bill was just really, really angry and had a heinous killer grin on his face.

My mind is blown at that Black Omen stuff.

I thought it was some tower thingy the whole time. But the ship design isn't too shabby either.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Thanks for the necro. :')

I'll add one more: downed X in Mega Man X5 intro stage:
8FKNp42.png

Might be just me, but I can't figure out what the part indicated by the arrow is. Is it :
- X's right foot, him being in a weird open leg position
- X's right knee destroyed and separated from his leg

?

Its pieces of his broken armor. He's crouched on one knee but the sprite just looks cluttered and whatnot

Piers

Not sure if this counts, but…
Hsbase_4.gif

His quill on the top the head that bizarrely sticks out. (In perspective, it should be obscured, I would of thought)
For the longest time I thought it was suppose to be his ear, some how.

Besides that, his muzzle looked weirdly sharp and elongated.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
F5uLnve.jpg

Always thought that was supposed to be a smiley face, since Super Mario World is full of those.

Nope. It's a foot. It's why one "cheek" is longer than the other.

I think this picture is a better way to illustrate the whole grin in Lone Survivor
Lone-Survivor_20141013194006.jpg

In this it looks like a straight up troll face

Haunted

bugenhagen.jpg

What he actually looks like:

tumblr_m6pjkb6V8K1rsjgcko1_250.gif
bah gawd

Even if he looks dog-ish, why would he actually be a dog? There are no anthropomorphic animals in FF6...that I remember anyway.
Well, there are beast-like sentient sprites in the game.

Of course, in hindsight, it doesn't really make sense. But honestly, even armed with the knowledge of what the sprite's actual intention is, it's hard to unsee the dog ambiguity. Poor spritework.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I did a search for Mara. Nobody mentioned Mara? Somebody must have posted the pic without saying the name

Mara is just a nice green fellow in a chariot. Get your mind out of the gutter

hqdefault.jpg

Tiu Neo

I did a search for Mara. Nobody mentioned Mara? Somebody must have posted the pic without saying the name

...I think Mara IS supposed to be what it looks like, hehe.

Haunted

hqdefault.jpg
That's absolutely intentional, he's supposed to have a penis-like head. It's a buddhist demon associated with lust, desire and the world of kama, after all.

Needham

Near the end of Earthbound you enter a cave, but it looks like there's a hamster wearing a hat, or a goblin with a goofy grin wresting his chin on his hands waiting for you.

earthboundgoblin.png

I just played through the game again the other day and noticed this. Why not just leave the whole cave entrance black?

kronose

Banned
This was definitely a thing for me. Had no idea why I glove would make me fly infinitely but I didn't care.

My childhood is turned upside down. I did not ever know this until just now, I always thought it was a glove too, not a wing (which makes more sense since it's called ... p wing)

Hylian7

hqdefault.jpg

But it is supposed to look like a penis. Mara even means penis in Japanese.

How did folks not see the Black Omen as a Star Destroyer?
I saw it as a giant floating tower/castle. Looked really fucking ominous that way, too.

The perspective is all fucked up in the image as a whole. I mean, pixel art generally is, but there in particular I just can't really see the "long ship" version.

Can someone please explain what I'm supposed to see here?

All I see is a dude wearing an athletic cup and it's bothered me since I was a kid.

His name is cue ball. He's wearing a side/corner pocket from a billiards table.

I feel like some investigative video game journalist needs to do a story figuring out what the fuck was going on with those Ring King blowjob sprites.

I feel like some investigative video game journalist needs to do a story figuring out what the fuck was going on with those Ring King blowjob sprites.
I know, right? Such poor technique. But I guess without mocap and hardware limitations we can't expect much.

...Oh.
Legitimately interested to learn about this, as well. Some googling didn't produce much.

Het_Nkik

I just remembered this picture I took of Phantasy Star Gaiden a few years ago:

jDGtKGE.jpg

Sorry for the quality; a Game Gear screen isn't the easiest thing to snap a picture of.

Top Bottom