• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sprites that look like things they're not supposed to

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
This thread always seems to pop up every now and then with the same few images...but still cracks me up every time :D

The helmet and cape wearing protagonist of doom is the greatest single contribution to GAF

PtM

Banned
Shit, so it is. It looks that way on the sprite too

tumblr_mrpp76StnP1r8oiv3o1_400.png
Is this some crappy fanart?

Arq

Neo Member
How about House Harkonnen sigil from Emperor: Battle for Dune?

House_Harkonnen_Insignia.jpg

I know it's an ox, but I still see a guy with a huge nose, V-smile and possibly a soul patch.

komojo

Neo Member
Once again this thread got bumped just after I saw something that reminded me of it.

When I first played Doom as a kid I thought the straight-on perspective of the shotgun looked a bit like needle-nose pliers or some kind of clamp.

JGW2USN.jpg

The double barrel shotgun from Doom 2 didn't have that problem, but it has another issue in the reloading animation. The player is supposed to be opening the barrels and putting shells in the back, but I thought it was cutting to the player turning the gun around and putting shells in the front.

I always kinda thought Red's back sprite in the original gen1 games was just him sitting down on the field...

ttjQwMV.png

I actually did see it as him sitting. Not the eye thing you point out though.

I've...never thought about it too hard before. Kinda just realized now that he isn't sitting.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I always kinda thought Red's back sprite in the original gen1 games was just him sitting down on the field...

ttjQwMV.png

When I first saw this sprite in a blurry screenshot I did think he was sitting (I didn't really have any context to the screenshot). Not the eye thing, always saw his head facing in the direction of his opponent.

Took me a while to stop seeing the sitting pose and seeing the correct pose when I finally got the game.

Weston

custom_00008.png

I always thought Mario's red eyes were his open mouth like he was screaming. I never thought it looked right.

As soon as I played Mario Maker it was pretty obvious I was wrong.

Crub

Can't see the eye, but definitely him laying down, resting against his backpack. Hide the three bottom rows of pixels and it will be easier to see.

javadoze

I actually did see it as him sitting. Not the eye thing you point out though.

I've...never thought about it too hard before. Kinda just realized now that he isn't sitting.

When I first saw this sprite in a blurry screenshot I did think he was sitting (I didn't really have any context to the screenshot). Not the eye thing, always saw his head facing in the direction of his opponent.

Took me a while to stop seeing the sitting pose and seeing the correct pose when I finally got the game.

This is one of the few unambiguous sprites in the game. I have no idea how you saw those things

So there's other people that saw Red sitting, but not the ears as eyes?

...Now I know how the people who misunderstood Agahnim's sprite feel...

I do love Shovel Knight, but there's this merchant character, Chester - and I can't quite make out what he's supposed to look like. There's definitely something funky going on with this sprite's face.

chester_close.png

Apparently this is what the sprite is supposed to represent... I'm not seeing it.
I always saw it as a guy wearing a turbin.

MAX PAYMENT

Did bit of photoshopping on that pokemon sprite. Like this?

0b2LR5E.png

After trying really hard to force myself to see the sitting position, I see it like this..

What is actually his shoulder could be seen as a knee. And his arm may be inside his legs. He's sitting at the same angle as he is standing, so no perspective shift.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Thanks for the necro. :')

I'll add one more: downed X in Mega Man X5 intro stage:
8FKNp42.png

Might be just me, but I can't figure out what the part indicated by the arrow is. Is it :
- X's right foot, him being in a weird open leg position
- X's right knee destroyed and separated from his leg

?
I always figured it was his armor's core, seeing as how he loses his armor after this. Plus, when you play as X and encounter the downed Zero, his arm is clearly cut off and fallen in the same place that this orb thing is, and he loses his buster.

Rambaldi

I always figured it was his armor's core, seeing as how he loses his armor after this. Plus, when you play as X and encounter the downed Zero, his arm is clearly cut off and fallen in the same place that this orb thing is, and he loses his buster.

I've always assumed it to the the shoulder pad of X's armor considering it is missing on his left shoulder. I could be wrong of course.

Aeana

Were kids totally ignoring any concept art on the box? A lot of these surprise me at how far off the mark they are.

I imagine most people who played FF6 when the SNES was still current did so through rental. It was a very expensive game.

In Seiken Densetsu 3 I always though that Angela's sleeping sprite made her look topless.
GnqWH4R.png

Whelp in trying to hunt down a screen shot I found out that if one turns off a layer, she actually is. Just a bit differently than I thought (what I thought was side boob was actually just knees,).
GYgk5HI.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Funny thing is I struggle to see the sitting position now, but that sprite is a crisp enlargement compared to how people would have originally seen it, small and blurry on a GameBoy.

Funny thing is I struggle to see the sitting position now, but that sprite is a crisp enlargement compared to how people would have originally seen it, small and blurry on a GameBoy.

Not really, because back sprites were actually enlarged 2x compared to the rest of the game, so they looked pixellated even back then.

I always saw it as a guy wearing a turbin.

Holy shit at that one. I always thought the mouth was his eyes. To be fair, how was I supposed to know he has no visible eyes?

chester_close.png

latest

Top Bottom