• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix has an ethics department; Told the Final Fantasy 7 remake developers to "restrict" Tifa's chest

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Covering their own ass so that what would happen? Jiggly boobs on Tifa?

This is the last time I'm repeating myself here.
Company released a character. People hated it/loved it. The person that designed it talks about an ethics department/committee/Tom whatever. He is given some bs reason or so he says on why said character came out like that. People laugh at his bs. "The translation is wrong!" you say. It is because it would look unnatural for big boobs to be all over the place! Sports bra! So I replied with this.
That makes less sense. Why are they worried about breast physics in the first place? Or things being unnatural? Did they forget how everything about FF is unnatural? They should just own up to their decisions instead of pussyfooting around the subject concerning a characters design like this. But I guess a company being honest is too much to ask. Oddest thing honestly. Game is gonna sell regardless of what Tifa looks like. There is no way in hell FF7 fans wouldn't buy this game. Even when the game was cut up to pieces with "episodes" they didn't even bat an eye. It is literally the most mainstream JRPG in existence. This is such a weird timeline.
So out of all the things they could have changed that came out as unnatural that have been said to death THIS is what he focused on because YES and WHY NOT? You see absolutely nothing wrong with this either and that is fine! That is 100% ok but other people are gonna look at this and have a chuckle or two. Oh Squeenix. Then there are the other people that don't even bother to FUCKING READ THE THREAD (and it shows!) please have some common courtesy and read the fucking thread :).

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it fits her new look or her frame.

latest

757438.jpg

homer_quiz_2.jpg

sevoro

You freak. Stockings is a disgusting fetish.

Panties FTW.
I challenge you to fisticuffs good sir. You will not besmirch my tastes.

Edit: I'm not any side, cause to me the entire thing is silly no matter how you slice it. I just like truth. On that note, what is that gif meant to represent?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

MayauMiao

Sir, I do not want to start a conflict with you here in Neogaf so I will leave you in peace with your abhorrent stocking fetish.

Now excuse me while I continue my Panty Party gaming session.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So I can’t love big tits and think that they won’t mesh well with Tifas new suit?
I honestly think you are just messing with me at this point since the same girl in your avatar has Tifa's frame. I also merely showed you why the other poster quoted your avatar. Don't @ me.

Imperialis

Banned
I honestly think you are just messing with me at this point since the same girl in your avatar has Tifa's frame. I also merely showed you why the other poster quoted your avatar. Don't @ me.
Ok. Her frame may be similar but that’s just lewd fan art and not a character model in a game that has motion and whatnot. Lmao you guys cmon

Last edited:
I think, Abriel cleared this up for me. His explanation was enough to get me to back down and just chill out. At this point, I just want the game to be good. How they handle the Honey Bee inn, is another story. LUL
In any case, I'm looking forward to this immensely.

Knightime_X

I think her size is fine.
It would take away if her boobs were flailing about as she attacked.

Would look satire and comical if they were huge.

Last edited:

Mochilador

They had to downgrade the boobs because it is being held back by the PS4 hardware and disk space (an entire bluray disk is dedicated to the boob data).
The PS4 Pro version may have slight bigger boobs. :messenger_fire:

sevoro

Why tho? It would distract you during combat
Cause it'd be funny.

In all seriousness though I just don't care, boobs or not the change doesn't bother me.

Ethics or not, I just see them taking a safe course of action.

SJW influence or not, the artist expressed how he went about "ethics" and doesn't seem to be bothered.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The "Gainaxing" excuse is laughable when said issue has been handled fine before.

R6CRF3RGUQBX45ZMSC6ZCSAGTI.jpg

nights-of-azure-arnice-lilysse-800x445.jpg

tales_002.jpg

edit: fuck

Senhua

I don’t believe shit’s the original reason of it.
I agree and I never expect less than "Teen" for the rating which make the incursion of ethical is worthless unless they expect the game will get "Mature" just because of bra-less and bare thighs Tifa.

BruceCM

If you're going to go into detail about how a woman with double D size chest can't realistically do a jumping uppercut on a giant mechanical robot dinosaur without her tits hitting her face. Then you need to take time off the internet.
Yet that's the best defence people have.... :p
Arkage Arkage
You guys have the wrong idea if you think they asked for her boobs to be smaller.
OK but why was the ETHICS department involved in this decision if it isn't supposed to be a matter of ETHICS? :p

Astartes

Banned
Yet that's the best defence people have.... :p
Arkage Arkage

OK but why was the ETHICS department involved in this decision if it isn't supposed to be a matter of ETHICS? :p
It was a question of the rating for the game if Tifa had her tits heavily bouncing in combat. They noted that it would be better for rating if the movement wouldn’t be excessive so the designer took that into consideration. Giving her a sports bra to make it appear sporty but also an in game reason why her boobs don’t jiggle a ton.

Last edited:

Senhua

It was a question of the rating for the game if Tifa had her tits heavily bouncing in combat. They noted that it would be better for rating if the movement wouldn’t be excessive so the designer took that into consideration. Giving her a sports bra to make it appear sporty but also an in game reason why her boobs don’t jiggle a ton.
According to the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), that’s because the game features “Suggestive Themes,” or more specifically, because “all of the female characters have breast physics incorporated into their movements; their breasts frequently jiggle/bounce in a noticeable manner during stretching and boxing routines.”

Like I said before I will waiting for 10+ Everyone rating FF VIIR then.

Yea, I personally think SE is just saving face and this is definitely them trying to dodge negative feedback from the Western SE branches again, possibly modern day Western gaming news outlets as well. Tabata was told that Cindy was "too sexy" by the Europeans and just decided to change the way Cindy is depicted versus completely covering her up, so instead they just took away the massive jiggle physics that were present before release because he didn't want to change her design. He said this in a Famitsu interview.

"Cindy was designed by Roberto Ferrari.[1] Cindy's first version had her breasts jiggle so much director Hajime Tabata wanted to tone it down.[2] A lot of feedback from Europe on the Episode Duscae demo was that Cindy was "too sexy." Director Hajime Tabata responded that Cindy was not meant to be an erotic character, but energetic and outgoing, and he didn't want to change the current concept. He talked about moderating the way she's presented, rather than covering her up."- Hajime Tabata

Also, CERO is actually Japan's rating system, not the ESRB. This actually makes no sense though. A game can get the equivalent of a T rating in Japan, but receive an M rating for North America. The exact same thing can happen vise versa as well, Soul Calibur VI received a T rating here in NA and received a CERO D(rated M) in Japan. So see, the rating boards have different standards that don't always align with one another and the only way to get a "T" rating in every country would be to have a game that's greatly devoid of anything that could be viewed as strong problematic material. It's odd that they're only concerned with Tifa's appearance being too sexy and inappropriate(they even made sure that the skirt hardly moves lol) because they want a new generation of kids to experience FFVII, but they have content such as strong language present in the game. Barret even dropped an F bomb during the E3 gameplay reveal. If the remake stays very faithful to the original(which it probably won't), then there will be a lot more for SE to worry about than just potential panty shots and jiggling "naughty bits" .

BruceCM

I don't know if you're arguing about her belt thingy or if you just want her skirt taken off. I'm with you either way.
Sadly, I think they're talking about the belt.... No point removing skirt while she wears shorts underneath, better remove those :p

Senhua

Yup, FF XV still got teen even without Cindy jiggle which by Fitness Boxing example above I doubt the rating will increase if they still including it.
This is purely SE/Sony internal decision for fear/shame of western backlash for having Tifa tits jiggle like DOA games and to make more easier to deal with China mainland rating board too.

Last edited:
From the way gaijin hunter's translation is worded the ethics department asked for reduced/no breast physics and Nomura decided to add the black tank top instead.

First, we wanted her to have more defined abdominal muscles so we leaned toward an athlete style for her design. Our ethics department had asked that we make sure that her top wasn't too loose so that her chest wouldn't come off as unnatural during heavy action sequences. So we took her simplistic upper body clothing and added black undergarments and made it a tank top so that it fits her body well, resulting in a fit and sporty design.

What comes off as weird to me is all the people talking about "loose" clothing as if they have anything to do with whether a video game character's chest moves or not.

To be clear, the only thing that determines that is the physics implemented by the developer. Tons of games have female characters wearing various kinds of clothing with none or little breast physics. I think you'll be hard pressed to find many complaints spanning game's history about how a particular female character's chest isn't moving enough. You can probably find some but this is not an actual issue.

Based on GH's translation at least the only conclusion I can come to is that Nomura opted to change Tifa's design by adding the black tank top instead of directing his team to reduce whatever breast physics were there (if they were there at all) in response to the ethics department.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Huh? "It was a question of the rating for the game if Tifa had her tits heavily bouncing in combat?" Man you had me going there for a minute lol.

Have you ever played any other games with women in them? I used 3 different series in my previous post as examples. One of them being Lightning...you know from FF13? There are so many games with busty girls across all genres as well. How do you think boo..ah goddamn you are just shitposting right?

Well whatever.

This is Renka she's bigger than Tifa and she isn't gainaxing like crazy while jumping all over the place.
To be clear, the only thing that determines that is the physics implemented by the developer. Tons of games have female characters wearing various kinds of clothing with none or little breast physics. I think you'll be hard pressed to find many complaints spanning game's history about how a particular female character's chest isn't moving enough. You can probably find some but this is not an actual issue.
Pretty much this.

Imperialis

Banned
Huh? "It was a question of the rating for the game if Tifa had her tits heavily bouncing in combat?" Man you had me going there for a minute lol.
Idk man it seems like you guys don’t care about what Nomura said and just want big anime tiddies for Tifa. I understand since I haven’t played a big budget game like the remake where a character had big tits.

Astartes

Banned
How do you think boo..ah goddamn you are just shitposting right?
Ah you got me. I actually believe they should have put her braless in a thin top with nips poking through and full jiggle physics. It’s the designers decision to make Tifa sporty and considering the departments note it worked out. There is nothing to say or imply they had a problem with that ethics department. In fact he seems happy enough with the final design to talk about it openly and the improvements they aimed for and that the department helped them with.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ah you got me. I actually believe they should have put her braless in a thin top with nips poking through and full jiggle physics. It’s the designers decision to make Tifa sporty and considering the departments note it worked out.
Great more shitposting.

Fuz

Banned
Yes, that was surely the reason.

Now, my good friend, I'm telling you I have rights of ownership over the Trevi Fountain in Rome. I can sell it to you for a good price.

sol_bad

You're entitled to your opinion.

skDhB7i.png

See how all that white (skin/fair color) at the top mirrored the skin at the bottom? That is called "consistency." They broke the design to add the black censorship which doesn't look coherent from a design standpoint. It's bad, but they clearly couldn't give her a black tanktop too or the censorship would be too obvious.
Tifa's current design should've been the one in Advent Children, and the original design should've been in Remake. Change the boots and the gloves if you want, but the rest had to be the same.

Am I reading right? You say that FF7 Remake is censorship because they are covering up skin? Advent Children would be even heavier censorship with what you are saying, but you think they should have used that design.

B4C8VPg.jpg
LQ642gV.jpg
QH4WjDO.jpg

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Am I reading right? You say that FF7 Remake is censorship because they are covering up skin? Advent Children would be even heavier censorship with what you are saying, but you think they should have used that design.

B4C8VPg.jpg
LQ642gV.jpg
QH4WjDO.jpg

People are jumping to conclusions and trying to find a boogeyman where there isn't one. Literally no different than what the SJWs do.

The real concern lies in how they are going to handle the Honeybee Inn scenes.

sol_bad

People are jumping to conclusions and trying to find a boogeyman where there isn't one. Literally no different than what the SJWs do.

The real concern lies in how they are going to handle the Honeybee Inn scenes.

I agree, instead of "REEEEEEing" they are "EEEEEEERing".
I'll call shit where shit needs to be called but it's a bit overkill sometimes.

I really hope the Honeybee Inn isn't changed too much. It's wait and see at the moment.

They had to downgrade the boobs because it is being held back by the PS4 hardware and disk space (an entire bluray disk is dedicated to the boob data).
The PS4 Pro version may have slight bigger boobs. :messenger_fire:

True, its one of the limitations of the current 5400rpm HDD. Luckily the PS5 with its SSD secret sauce and its advances in streaming will allow much much better flailing allowing DDD sizes and up!

If Sony will be confident enough to remove the lense flares though, that would be another matter.

Top Bottom