• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Japan = New IP Action RPG with UE3, For Consoles [Update: First Artwork]

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
More games is not a bad thing, but it seems like Japanese game developers have a unique idea of what we Americans would like.

You know what we like? If you made games like you did back in the PS1 and PS2 era. Make quality games and people will buy them, there is no need to "Westernize" it.

Patryn

They're taking the approach of not forcing what they want to make into the game, but seeing what users want and going from there. For the past couple of years, they've been touring the world, conducting surveys of users, and redoing the specifications through test play. They're at the point where theY've finalized the basic research and technological aspects.

So it's Focus Group: The Game?

What's the saying? Giving the audience not what they say they want, but what they don't know they want?

Also curious to see if they go with 360 as lead platform.

Japan considers to make a western action game (whatever this is) - The west is okay with this
Ubisoft considers making a japanese action game (feudal japan AC) - Japan isn't okay with this

hurr durr double standards.

But, uh, i'm legitimately afraid of whatever this game is. If they're doing user reviews overseas for gameplay and environmental elements, that means they were most likely talking to Call of Duty fans about what Square's next action game should be. . .

linear corridors...and from those rumored concept arts it may very well be in a modern-ish Europe...i'm scared. This isn't the Last Remnant where it was still very well a japanese game with japanese looking characters but some had western designs, they're approaching this game to be a pretty high percentage of western. I'm very scared.

RedSwirl

Did FFXII target both markets? Because it felt quite "western" in design. SE should do more of that style games.

This is what I keep saying. They got closest with Matsuno's games and still haven't realized it yet. Now he's at Level-5.

A good first step would be to get Yoshida to do the art for this game but I can already tell they're probably outsourcing it to Massive Black or something.

Orayn

I want...
1. 60 FPS. Please, Squeenix, don't fall into the decadent ways of the West!
2. Not strictly a cover-based shooter. This generation is littered with failed attempts to capitalize on the popularity of Gears of War, and I would hope they would have learned their lesson after Mindjack.
3. Sabin. Tell me a God Hand type game that lets you suplex trains wouldn't be awesome.

Pooya

ue3semy7ni.png

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/recruit/career/job/game/new_action_rpg_index.html

Cwarrior

ue3 ewww.. did they not learn from last remnant.

I wouldn't mind the engine so much if it could load textures on time.

exhume

Looks like an Oblivion tower in the background. Getting a weird kind of Vampire Hunter D vibe from this too...Scrolls Hunter

...not sure if want

Edit: I take it back, this has potential. Hope they release some more art soon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish they'd show how the character actually looks like.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think they actually did quite a good job in making an art style that can appeal in the West.

How the heck can you say that from one artwork where we see practically nothing?

Aeana

ue3 ewww.. did they not learn from last remnant.

I wouldn't mind the engine so much if it could load textures on time.

I would assume that they did, in fact, learn from Last Remnant, which is why this will undoubtedly turn out more technically sound. Add to that that UE3 now has better Japanese documentation, and it's pretty much a sure thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How the heck can you say that from one artwork where we see practically nothing?

What would you prefer me to make that assessment off of?

We have a general policy of having discussions based on the information at hand, as otherwise we would never discuss anything.

If I see more and think they haven't done a good job, I promise I will tell you.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe when the character face front, he'll have this googly animu expression (basically what attracts the Japanese players). :p

Wow. I picked up today's Famitsu and they have a two-page spread of the above graphic, with a staff hiring campaign plastered all over it. According to the ad they are hiring

Planners - action
Planners - writing
Planners - level
Game programmers
Network programmers
3D graphic programmers
Physics programmers
Animation programmers
Art designers
Motion designers
VFX designers
BG modelers
Character modelers

What the hell is this? Pick a director, release a piece of art, and then look to hire a team of people through outlets such as Famitsu? What the hell, SE >.>?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wow. I picked up today's Famitsu and they have a two-page spread of the above graphic, with a staff hiring campaign plastered all over it. According to the ad they are hiring

Planners - action
Planners - writing
Planners - level
Game programmers
Network programmers
3D graphic programmers
Physics programmers
Animation programmers
Art designers
Motion designers
VFX designers
BG modelers
Character modelers

What the hell is this? Pick a director, release a piece of art, and then look to hire a team of people through outlets such as Famitsu? What the hell, SE >.>?

This is Square-Enix's master failing plan of action. Show parts of a game and work on it for 4-∞ years after that and make your fans disinterested because it's taken so long.

Top Bottom