• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Japan = New IP Action RPG with UE3, For Consoles [Update: First Artwork]

RedSwirl

I think art style is the main obstacle for japanese games on their to WW domination.

Square Enix has Akihiko Yoshida. There are also at least several manga artists who are capable of drawing characters and art styles that can appeal to westerners. Actually, I think that when Japanese creators make the conscious choice to focus on adults instead of teenagers they can come up with some really awesome shit. It's just that they rarely do.

tokkun

So based on the online 'matching and synchronization' aspects, is it safe to say this is a reaction to the good western sales of Demon's Souls?

jorgeton

Erm.. this art is.. interesting? I guess?

I'm trying really hard not to judge off one initial photo..

But the descriptions from that scan do sound pretty intriguing.

duckroll

Square Enix has Akihiko Yoshida. There are also at least several manga artists who are capable of drawing characters and art styles that can appeal to westerners. Actually, I think that when Japanese creators make the conscious choice to focus on adults instead of teenagers they can come up with some really awesome shit. It's just that they rarely do.

You know, it's always been said that Yoshida's art style is something that is much more appealing to the West. But while it makes sense based on the style of the art, it should be noted that none of the games Yoshida have worked on are particularly more successful than other S-E games outside of Japan. In fact, while games like Vagrant Story and FFXII are critically acclaimed, the actual sales don't indicate an increased interest by the western audience.

There's always a ton of talk online especially about how games like Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story are "what Japan needs to do more of" instead of releasing very obviously Japanese slanted designs and so on. But when it comes down to actual sales numbers, there are often several much more "Japanese" and "anime" looking games which end up selling better in the US. FFXII was supposed to be the ultimate western-friendly FF too, and it's certainly not the best selling one in the US. Hell, it was outsold by FFXIII just recently.

Isn't it odd?

You know, it's always been said that Yoshida's art style is something that is much more appealing to the West. But while it makes sense based on the style of the art, it should be noted that none of the games Yoshida have worked on are particularly more successful than other S-E games outside of Japan. In fact, while games like Vagrant Story and FFXII are critically acclaimed, the actual sales don't indicate an increased interest by the western audience.

There's always a ton of talk online especially about how games like Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story are "what Japan needs to do more of" instead of releasing very obviously Japanese slanted designs and so on. But when it comes down to actual sales numbers, there are often several much more "Japanese" and "anime" looking games which end up selling better in the US. FFXII was supposed to be the ultimate western-friendly FF too, and it's certainly not the best selling one in the US. Hell, it was outsold by FFXIII just recently.

Isn't it odd?

gameplay wise though, both vagrant story and the tactics game are an aquired taste. Certainly dont have a mainstream appeal.

Famassu

35 people on a core staff from Square Enix?
The game will never release.
They are expanding the team now. That 35 team was only to get this project started and underway (possibly doing some proof of concept stuff to get it greenlighted?)

Rad-

Wow the character art looks amazing. Wouldn't believe that's a SE game if I didn't know otherwise.

FFXII was supposed to be the ultimate western-friendly FF too, and it's certainly not the best selling one in the US. Hell, it was outsold by FFXIII just recently.

Sales wise, XII had the same problem as IX. They were released when the next gen had already started.

Top Bottom