• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix registers FFVII PC domain, bonus evidence suggests achievements, $9.99

Kokonoe

Banned
If so they better include or support the mods.

ulO9h.jpg

Y2EAh.png
Err dah derm der deh

PWwe0.png
Bwu bwu ber dwuh

RlvYs.png
Rib ribbit rib ribbit

mUymR.png
Ai eh ai wei wei bay

Don't think a HD port would look that good, the original assets are pretty low res if I recall. FFIX would benefit more from a straight up HD port.

Blizzard

Banned
I was thinking well, this might finally mean I get to play FF7, but then I realized that there's that spoiler part where spoiler spoiler
the character dies
and it would be too sad for me to play. :(

Considering you have to use fan made patches/programs to properly get FFVII/VIII PC working on newer PCs, it's probably a newly compatible port.

What's funny is, I remember years ago, I think I read from a customer service rep that Eidos did the FF7 PC port and there was very little Square could do to update it or fix things like compatibility. But NOW S-E owns Eidos...

And damn at some of those screenshots, I knew of the modding community and dabbled in some of that, but that "FFVIII-style" minimalist battle screen makes me drool.

It's pretty well documented if you look about online, but the thing about FF7 is that Square had terrible practices about holding onto code around that time. When the time came for the PC port, they literally did not have code that was more... decompiled (probably a poor choice of word) than the final release.

As such, the team who made the PC port (which was in-house at Square Japan, NOT Eidos - they just funded/published) had to work based off basically the PS1 version of the game. For example, they ripped the CG movies from the PS1 version and re-encoded them for PC. Not exactly best practice.

The reason SE haven't just gone back and re-rendered the CG backgrounds to make a better version of the game or port it to something like XBLA/PSN easily is in part because they quite literally can't - they're stuck with the versions of all the backgrounds used in the PS1 version, which IIRC are sub-640 pixels wide. Massive amounts of the original files are lost. Same for textures, CG sequences and all sorts of stuff.

It's one reason that it's such a fucked port. It was after the FF7 PC debacle that they realized how badly they fucked up, and with FF8 they had access to the code. That's why FF8 is a much better port and much more rescuable with hacks and much less in need of the heavy modding 7 needed to be playable. Half these shots of the modded 7 aren't even running on the FF7 engine - it's a new fan-coded engine that merely pulls the assets and story and such from the PC disc while replacing others with new ones. Less a mod and more a ground-up remake. I'd guess it's a big factor in why 7's never been ported or remade since the PC, too. It'd be easier and more possible with 8 and 9, but I'm sure SE don't want to face the shit storm of doing those first and not 7.

ArjanN

Yeah, the PC version had a full midi soundtrack, and it sounded awful no matter what your sound card was. That PC version was pretty god damn broken.

Pretty sure you could enable the original soundtrack just by changing an option in the config.

The game hasn't aged well graphically. The super-deformed character models used outside of combat looked pretty bad even at the time. The CG scenes that once looked great also look super dated now.

Arksy

Just to throw a spanner in the works. Why only VII? Why not also register VIII? That was available on PC as well and could use a HD re-release :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Full on PC exclusive super remake on luminous engine using all power available for GTX 6xx series of GPU -with TXAA and all that shit -or nothing.

Dennis

Banned
I am somewhat confused as to why SE have not already released a FFVII remake - on PC or any other platform for that matter.

Its seems to be money left on the table - especially considering all the other remakes.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd triple-dip. Before I got a decent job in my teens and bought a Playstation, I played FF7 and FF8 on PC. Good times.

It would be nice if this set a precedent for them to put more Final Fantasy games on PC, though I continue to look at The Last Remnant on Steam and see it priced ridiculously high so I'm not too sure if I should embrace the thought or not.

FFVII PC famously only barely worked even if you had exactly the hardware Square apparently developed the game on. That means you needed a 3Dfx video card and a Sound Blaster AWE series which support Soundfonts so the graphics and music weren't shit. If Squenix ports it now, they'll have to do a lot of work to make it run now on modern machines, and knowing Squenix's PC efforts since then, I expect it will be shit. Did people ever even get it working on Vista/7?

FFVII PC famously only barely worked even if you had exactly the hardware Square apparently developed the game on. That means you needed a 3Dfx video card and a Sound Blaster AWE series which support Soundfonts so the graphics and music weren't shit. If Squenix ports it now, they'll have to do a lot of work to make it run now on modern machines, and knowing Squenix's PC efforts since then, I expect it will be shit. Did people ever even get it working on Vista/7?

Uh, Squaresoft didn't port VII or VIII, Eidos did.

Also, I'm pretty sure they've lost the source code to VII, so if it shows up, it'll be the old PC port.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Probably just re-registered the ancient domain that Eidos once used for the PC release.

I have the cool trapezoid boxed version! Never bothered to try running it. I heard "MIDI music" and never wanted to touch it.

ScrubJay

I remember the PC port of FFVII, way back in the day.

The crashes every 10 minutes actually convinced me to save up and get a Playstation of my own.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
At this point... I don't even really want a remake. Part of FFVII's charm comes from the pre-rendered backgrounds, the voiceless cast, the music, the battle system.

I'd rather have a remake of Before Crisis, a mobile game that never made it to the west and was limited by phone technology even more so than PS1 tech at the time.

dramatis

At this point... I don't even really want a remake. Part of FFVII's charm comes from the pre-rendered backgrounds, the voiceless cast, the music, the battle system.

I'd rather have a remake of Before Crisis, a mobile game that never made it to the west and was limited by phone technology even more so than PS1 tech at the time.
They're not going to remake that, not even if it can sell on iOS/Android. They still haven't freaking made Triple Triad for mobile.

Top Bottom