• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix registers FFVII PC domain, bonus evidence suggests achievements, $9.99

Himself

VII doesn't need a remake, it needs a new translation. A lot of old JRPGs could use a new translation.

That's all I want. A better translation first and foremost, perhaps sharper graphics for the backgrounds and slightly more detailed character models, but leave it alone for the most part. I don't want ff7 to look like ff13, I don't want new cut scenes, I don't want voices. None of that.

Raonak

Banned
FFVII: Advent Children
FFVII: Before Crisis
FFVII: Crisis Core
FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus

Did they register EC to OC beforehand?

was just about to post the pattern with the last words all starting with a C.
but didn't realise the first words have a pattern too. very acute observation.

Im shocked. first time in a while i've seen SE games with a names that makes sense.

At this point... I don't even really want a remake. Part of FFVII's charm comes from the pre-rendered backgrounds, the voiceless cast, the music, the battle system.

I'd rather have a remake of Before Crisis, a mobile game that never made it to the west and was limited by phone technology even more so than PS1 tech at the time.

About a Before Crisis 3DS remake: http://andriasang.com/compqc/tabata_before_crisis/

Let's hope this really happens...
Besides, all means of playing the original are gone now, right?

EDIT: I still want a proper VII remake though... :p

FFVII: Personalis Crystallis.
I read that as "FFVII: Personality Crisis" and thought "Heh, that's pretty accurate for a majority of the game".
Then I read it right and was a bit dissapointed. :(

Yeah, the PC version had a full midi soundtrack, and it sounded awful no matter what your sound card was. That PC version was pretty god damn broken.

If I remember correctly, the PC versions of both FF7 and 8 had some kind of midi player or something shipped with them that played the in-game music with a special soundfont that made the music sound almost the same as on the PlayStation.

nny

Guys, no, no; PC = PlayStation Console.

The next-gen PlayStation hasn't been announced, so that's a placeholder name.

:O

Holy crap, I remember reading the original thread on 4chan about the out of the job audio engineer who was uploading the entire soundtrack rendered with his Yamaha DB50XG card. But I never saved the links.

IIRC, this was what the soundtrack originally intended to sound like before having troubles with the PS1 hardware.

Thanks for the links.

At this point... I don't even really want a remake. Part of FFVII's charm comes from the pre-rendered backgrounds, the voiceless cast, the music, the battle system.

I'd rather have a remake of Before Crisis, a mobile game that never made it to the west and was limited by phone technology even more so than PS1 tech at the time.

I agree, SE doesn't know how to make good FF games anymore.

s_mirage

If I remember correctly, the PC versions of both FF7 and 8 had some kind of midi player or something shipped with them that played the in-game music with a special soundfont that made the music sound almost the same as on the PlayStation.

That it did. FF7 came with the Yamaha s-yxg70 softsynth, and provided you set it to run in full XG mode you could enjoy the arranged XG versions of the soundtrack (IIRC the documentation just mentioned the XG-lite mode, so I assume that they originally were just going to include the cut down version of the synth). That actually inspired me to buy some XG hardware at the time.

Also it came with a few different flavours of soundfont that the AWE cards of the time could use instead. The largest of those actually had the choir vocals that were missing from the other MIDI versions.

IIRC, this was what the soundtrack originally intended to sound like before having troubles with the PS1 hardware.

I'm not sure that's the case. AFAIK the XG versions of the tracks were arrangements done by Yamaha, not the original sound team.

Mupod

FF7 introduced me to terrible PC ports. It's also the reason that the entire Nibelheim flashback scene after you leave Midgar is burned into my mind, because it was a long segment of cutscenes with no saving...and the game hated my CD-ROM drive so it crashed a lot.

It did look pretty nice when I got a voodoo 3 though. I actually still have the discs somewhere.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I listened to One Winged Angel using that soundcard. How the hell did the choir even work? Did the uploader just put the choir on top or did the game stream the choir sounds separately for the PC ver?

gwarm01

FF7 introduced me to terrible PC ports. It's also the reason that the entire Nibelheim flashback scene after you leave Midgar is burned into my mind, because it was a long segment of cutscenes with no saving...and the game hated my CD-ROM drive so it crashed a lot.

It did look pretty nice when I got a voodoo 3 though. I actually still have the discs somewhere.

FF7 was the first game that couldn't run well on the first PC I ever bought. It was a 200MHz Pentium 1 and I may have had a Voodoo 2 stuck in there at this point. The game ran poorly, the FMV scenes wouldn't align properly with the real-time characters and there was a lot of slow down, but I could generally still play the game. Then I made it to Junon, and the game came to a screeching halt. It was literally impossible to progress. Eventually EverQuest came out and I convinced my parents to buy a new PC (AMD K6-2 running at ~450MHz and sporting a Voodoo 3), but at that point I had finally saved up enough to just buy a PSX on ebay.

edit: the music sounded okay through my SoundBlaster Awe 64 Gold, but no where near as good as it did on the actual PSX. Also.. why did we feel the need to buy sound cards back then? Was audio not integrated on motherboards yet or something? I can't really remember but it's strange that I would have ordered a sound card from Tiger Direct at the age of 12 unless there was a good reason.

Glass Rebel

It'd be pretty weird to spend ressources on FFVII. IMO Final Fantasy Tactics would make much more sense with them working on retina assets for the iOS versions anyway. But SE is weird like that.

I'd also much rather play FFT but that's different story altogether.

hlhbk

so is there a guide to what mods to use to fix the port and make the graphics look awesome? Last time I tried to get this all working it was just a mess.

Jucksalbe

Banned
VII doesn't need a remake, it needs a new translation. A lot of old JRPGs could use a new translation.

I agree, but without some kind of remake there won't be an official new translation. The 3DS would probably be the only hardware on which a remake could be released that doesn't change much else.
I'm surprised there's no fan translation for this given how popular the game is (or I just don't know of any).

s_mirage

I listened to One Winged Angel using that soundcard. How the hell did the choir even work? Did the uploader just put the choir on top or did the game stream the choir sounds separately for the PC ver?

Good question. I believe that this is an edit. The choir vocals were replaced by generic choir ahh sounds in the original XG midi version. I do not recall the game overlaying the choir vocals, but seeing as the softsynth that came with the game had quite severe latency compared with midi hardware, and the game had no way of knowing how lagged any midi output was from any source, doing that with any accuracy would have been a bit much to ask.

The AWE version did include the choir vocals but that was because it used a custom soundfont for that song.

Good question. I believe that this is an edit. The choir vocals were replaced by generic choir ahh sounds in the original XG midi version. I do not recall the game overlaying the choir vocals, but seeing as the softsynth that came with the game had quite severe latency compared with midi hardware, and the game had no way of knowing how lagged any midi output was from any source, doing that with any accuracy would have been a bit much to ask.

The AWE version did include the choir vocals but that was because it used a custom soundfont for that song.

It's most definitely an edit. I remember one of the only disappointing aspects of the game was listening to One Winged Angel without vocals.

does anyone want this? It would just be a port of the PS1 version..

which I'm sure everyone who wants to play the game has played the game..

so I don't understand.. why would anyone play this?

That cache.

Enjoy the RPG classic FINAL FANTASY VII for PC, now with a host of new online features
Download Now
Achievements
Character Booster
Cloud Saves
Whether you’re a seasoned FINAL FANTASY VII veteran or exploring this RPG classic for the very first time, show off your in-game accomplishments and put your gaming skills to the test with 36 brand new achievements to unlock. Share your profile with friends online to find out who is the ultimate FINAL FANTASY fan.
Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.
Whether you’re away from home or simply using a different computer to play, enjoy FINAL FANTASY VII wherever you are. With cloud save support in FINAL FANTASY VII you can continue your game progress right where you left off, all you need is an internet connection.
Achievements
Character Booster
Cloud Saves

SE....

BUY NOW PC Digital Download £7.99 / €9.99

Enjoy the RPG classic FINAL FANTASY VII for PC, now with a host of new online features

• Achievements
  • Whether you’re a seasoned FINAL FANTASY VII veteran or exploring this RPG classic for the very first time, show off your in-game accomplishments and put your gaming skills to the test with 36 brand new achievements to unlock. Share your profile with friends online to find out who is the ultimate FINAL FANTASY fan.

Character Booster
  • Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

Cloud Saves
  • Whether you’re away from home or simply using a different computer to play, enjoy FINAL FANTASY VII wherever you are. With cloud save support in FINAL FANTASY VII you can continue your game progress right where you left off, all you need is an internet connection.

Character Booster. What? I hope they do that with in-app purchases.

xxczx

did anyone read the character desc
Young, beautiful, and somewhat mysterious, Aerith met Cloud while selling flowers on the streets of Midgar. She decided to join him soon after. Her unusual abilities allow her to heal the party, but she seems more interested in the deepening love triangle between herself, Cloud and Tifa.

Bright and optimistic, Tifa always cheers up the others when they’re down. But don’t let her looks fool you, she can decimate almost any enemy with her fists. She is one of the main members of AVALANCHE. She and Cloud were childhood friends, and although she has strong feelings for him, she would never admit it.

Character Booster
Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.
I feel like they're going to put this crap in all FF games from now on.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
did anyone read the character desc

Young, beautiful, and somewhat mysterious, Aerith met Cloud while selling flowers on the streets of Midgar. She decided to join him soon after. Her unusual abilities allow her to heal the party, but she seems more interested in the deepening love triangle between herself, Cloud and Tifa.

Threesome DLC confirmed. :p

Top Bottom