• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DMczaf said:
Because it doesn't have colors! COLORS!!!1111

Yes, bring on the candycane rails.

As someone else said, the upper parts of the SSX3 mountain looked a lot like this. Now, I doubt that there will be Tokyo Megaplexes further down, but plenty of you are forgetting what SSX has looked like.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I'll need to see more before I write this off.
Pretty disappointing so far though.

Doesn't feel like SSX yet.

starchild excalibur said:
There was nothing really gritty, realistic or explosive about the teaser though. And SSX has always had danger - the last peak in SSX 3 looked just like the one featured in this teaser - darker colors, falling sheets of ice, crazy wind. The only way this teaser differs from it is the pilot, the music and the wingflaps. The mountain itself is the same.
Yes, but also minus any hints of crazy stunts, whirling colours, or crazy paths. The opening of Peak 3 starts of with falling cliffs, which at one point you enter into all sorts of fantastical looping tunnels.

I'll remain "optimistic", but with what they are showing, it's heavily removing the fantastical elements, and with absolutely no character feel to it, which I think is what most people resonated with SSX.

DMczaf

http://www.ea.com/ssx

Redefining the SSX franchise, SSX: Deadly Descents will pit riders versus both mountain and man. Players will explore the story of a team who seek to be the first to descend the faces of the most treacherous mountain ranges on the planet. The team will travel the world to face the worst that Mother Nature can throw at them. From the peaks of the Himalayas, where the air is so thin that riders have to descend through the death zone at breakneck speeds to keep from blacking out, to the solid ice ranges of Antarctica, where a sunlit line is the only survival option when temperatures drop 50 degrees centigrade in the shade. And the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face. In SSX: Deadly Descents the first goal is to survive. The second, in true SSX fashion, is to look good doing it.

lol at the crybabies and hysteria in this thread. You guys are all idiots no wonder developers and publishers ignore us and target casual/mainstream gamers.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm not ususally one of those "they changed it?? RAAAAGE!!!" type of people.

But seriously... they changed it?? RAAAAGE!!!

I would have gone all colorful with techno-disco music and shit.

This is a wrong direction for the series. MORALLY wrong.

WEGGLES

AltogetherAndrews said:
You're a hardfarting dude that is being airdropped from a chopper into a fucking snowboarding run in the god damned Himalayas. You deal with problems with a fucking wingsuit.

How in Satan's asshole is that not over the top?
Not in the same way.

It lacks personality.

I want the dumb characters from before. Not random dude here...

You could breakdance on a snowboard in mid air in Tricky. :lol I don't see that sort of shit going down here. Sure it's dumb, but the game embraced it. Kind of like WWE vs MMA.

My problem is... why call it SSX when it seems drastically different from SSX.

The other games, it was a sporting event. This looks like secret agent snowboarding.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
AltogetherAndrews said:
Just play Tricky then. Lord knows they shouldn't try anything new, lest the conservatives have a fit.
They shouldn't try anything new if this is what they come up with.

DominoKid

AltogetherAndrews said:
You're a hardfarting dude that is being airdropped from a chopper into a fucking snowboarding run in the god damned Himalayas. You deal with problems with a fucking wingsuit.

How in Satan's asshole is that not over the top?

right? the level of bitching in this thread is hilarious.

DMczaf

AltogetherAndrews said:
Just play Tricky then. Lord knows they shouldn't try anything new, lest the conservatives have a fit.

"What the fuck, stop making the same old game!"

"What the fuck, why isn't this like the last game?!"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I guess if the gameplay is still solid...but it seems to have lost all the fun charm the previous games had. But who knows, you can't really judge a game off one teaser.

Teknoman

All I know is that if it turns out to be as NFS:HP current gen is to the NFS franchise and HP series in particular, i'll be happy.

WEGGLES said:
Not in the same way.

It lacks personality.

I want the dumb characters from before. Not random dude here...

You could breakdance on a snowboard in mid air in Tricky. :lol I don't see that sort of shit going down here. Sure it's dumb, but the game embraced it. Kind of like WWE vs MMA.

My problem is... why call it SSX when it seems drastically different from SSX.

The other games, it was a sporting event. This looks like secret agent snowboarding.

Dude, people bitched about SSX3 too, because it wasn't enough like Tricky. Unless EA simply remakes Tricky, there would be bitching. They might as well try to push themselves and something new since they are going to get shit whichever way they turn anyway.

BocoDragon

AltogetherAndrews said:
This direction IS conservative.

"Let's make it all dark and gritty and extreeeeeeeme"

You could have made this shit in the early 90s or whatever.

Tricky was progressive and unique with its cast of characters full of personality and fantastic, colorfully-lit hills (even if that was 10 years ago)

Teknoman said:
Minus the colors at in that point during the trailer, but everything was pretty over the top.

Nothing about Tom Clancy novels or Call of Duty games is actually particularly "realistic" in the sense that it closely resembles events which occur in the world of reality -- in fact, both are filled with ridiculous, actively absurd events that defy logic and reason -- but both nonetheless are often referred to as having a "realistic" style because their stylized elements that are emphasized are designed to evoke a less fanciful world: muted or absent colors, extreme and unpleasant violence, military fetishism, etc.

This trailer is clearly absurd in very much the same manner as Modern Warfare and very much not in the same manner as SSX Tricky. That both styles are absurd does not mean that they are identical any more than Steamboat Willie and Madworld have the same style because they are both black and white.

Ninja Scooter said:
lol at the crybabies and hysteria in this thread. You guys are all idiots no wonder developers and publishers ignore us and target casual/mainstream gamers.
This is what you get though when you dig up a name but change what the game is about, but not communicate what you are changing about the game. I think a few people pointed to NFS:HP as something that this can turn out to be, but there's a huge difference: People heard Criterion was making it, then went bonkers over Open world, but, they had a stage demo and showed the game, it showed people what they were changing the new NFS to.

This showed nothing other than removing what people knew of the old SSX. It's not a comforting feeling to fans.

DominoKid

EA said:
Redefining the SSX franchise, SSX: Deadly Descents will pit riders versus both mountain and man. Players will explore the story of a team who seek to be the first to descend the faces of the most treacherous mountain ranges on the planet. The team will travel the world to face the worst that Mother Nature can throw at them. From the peaks of the Himalayas, where the air is so thin that riders have to descend through the death zone at breakneck speeds to keep from blacking out, to the solid ice ranges of Antarctica, where a sunlit line is the only survival option when temperatures drop 50 degrees centigrade in the shade. And the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face. In SSX: Deadly Descents the first goal is to survive. The second, in true SSX fashion, is to look good doing it.

there is absolutely nothing to bitch about. its the same damn game we're all used to taken to another, even better, level.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ataturk said:
Are they having a giraffe?
can you adam and eve it?
come have a butchers at this, feast your mince pies on this fine... flaming nora!!!

I dont get this industry, I really don't I am glad I dont work in it, I ahve said it before and I will say it again video games crash 2. incoming

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It could've been worse guys. What if he had a gun

and you shoot shit while doing tricks and flips n shit while perusing a south american dictator who has just escaped his mountain-top hideout cabin

see, i bet it's not so bad now

BocoDragon

Reminds me of this

Dark_Summit_Ps2.jpg

BocoDragon said:
This direction IS conservative.

"Let's make it all dark and gritty and extreeeeeeeme"

You could have made this shit in the early 90s or whatever.

Tricky was progressive and unique with its cast of characters full of personality and fantastic colorfully lit hills (even if that was 10 years ago)

No, simply reskinning Tricky, that would be conservative. It doesn't matter if what you reskin was once the newest thing in town, it would still be a retread. Pushing the core game into a new format, that is new. If they are going for a hostile, dangerous environment, then this is appropriate.

As for the extreme thing, give me a fucking break. SSX has always bent over itself in trying to be as over the top extreme BIG as possible, so can that one already.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Fucking stupid ass teaser/trailer. Will reserve judgment though since it's SSX.
Got a bad gut feeling on this one though...

Forsete

Gold Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, SSX has never had any of that. Nope, no "xtreme to the max" 'tude there.

I didnt mean the xXxtreme thing they had going on in Tricky, that was the good extreme.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Dude, people bitched about SSX3 too, because it wasn't enough like Tricky. Unless EA simply remakes Tricky, there would be bitching. They might as well try to push themselves and something new since they are going to get shit whichever way they turn anyway.
What the hell are you talking about? More people like SSX3 than Tricky around these parts.

You can innovate without totally going against one of the major appeals of the series.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I think they can pull this off and please fans. We need to see some gameplay before we actually judge tho

Teknoman

charlequin said:
Nothing about Tom Clancy novels or Call of Duty games is actually particularly "realistic" in the sense that it closely resembles events which occur in the world of reality -- in fact, both are filled with ridiculous, actively absurd events that defy logic and reason -- but both nonetheless are often referred to as having a "realistic" style because their stylized elements that are emphasized are designed to evoke a less fanciful world: muted or absent colors, extreme and unpleasant violence, military fetishism, etc.

This trailer is clearly absurd in very much the same manner as Modern Warfare and very much not in the same manner as SSX Tricky. That both styles are absurd does not mean that they are identical any more than Steamboat Willie and Madworld have the same style because they are both black and white.

Well yeah, but I think that some of the reactions should be toned down a little...at least until we see actual in game footage.

Btw people keep mentioning Tricky...no one liked SSX3 or On Tour?

X26

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

funny considering this game looks a lot more conservative than what past SSX's represented, getting rid of al the charm and creativity the series represented and instead going the serious route to try and capitalize on the popularity of other games in different genres

AlphaTwo00 said:
This is what you get though when you dig up a name but change what the game is about, but not communicate what you are changing about the game. I think a few people pointed to NFS:HP as something that this can turn out to be, but there's a huge difference: People heard Criterion was making it, then went bonkers over Open world, but, they had a stage demo and showed the game, it showed people what they were changing the new NFS to.

This showed nothing other than removing what people knew of the old SSX. It's not a comforting feeling to fans.

It's a fucking TEASER. A 30 second CG fucking TEASER. Give them time to communicate what the game is going to be about, how they are changing it, ect... through future trailers, gameplay impressions, demos, ect...To completely write it off and curse EA's name over this one trailer is pretty stupid. People around here are always so reactionary and "glass half empty" about everything.

Lijik

jufonuk said:
lol I was thinking this, next screenshot will be First person view of you going donw the mountain side and popping a few enemy gaurds so the rest of your extreme team are safe to descend
I really hope your team is called "The Extreme Team"

Bebpo

Banned
Everyone was like "don't worry the Skate guys are fine. It'll still be SSX just with slightly different controls. Nothing wrong with that"

:(

Personally I hate Skate. It's not a bad game. But I liked Tony Hawk (when it was good) because it wasn't realistic. Tony Hawk was fun because you were doing 50x combos jumping from telephone wires through houses down skate parks and into ufos and then getting a billion point combo. You were looking for letters on 3rd story windows and 50 feet in the air and making skate lines to grab them in one combo. That was fun. Then Skate came along and all that was replaced with "jump a bench and grind some stairwell". It was so down to earth and realistic I found it incredibly boring and couldn't get into it. And since it killed the Tony Hawk franchise for good, that was it for a genre that used to be incredibly wacky and fun.

Why do I get the feeling the same thing is about to happen to snowboarding :\ Although the genre is completely dead already so I guess it's better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom