• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen PAX dogfight gameplay footage

Raptor

I imagine you can play this game for years god damn, looks unreal, seriously incredible.

Too bad I will never play it probably.

It's hard to enjoy because he's so fucking awful at the game. Truly awful. Maybe they should have had someone who's actually good at the game demo while he explains what's going on.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I fear a lot of people excited for this game are thinking "finally a new Wing Commander or Tie Fighter!" are going to be severely disappointed as what they consider space sim is very much arcade when compared to this.

I hope they do not fall into the standard simulator developer pitfall of making a great piece of tech but forgetting to add the fun.

Dio

Banned
I fear a lot of people excited for this game are thinking "finally a new Wing Commander or Tie Fighter!" are going to be severely disappointed as what they consider space sim is very much arcade when compared to this.

I hope they do not fall into the standard simulator developer pitfall of making a great piece of tech but forgetting to add the fun.

Why does 'technical simulator' have to mean 'slow'?

SRTtoZ

Visually it looks fantastic but the gameplay is still very rough which is to be expected of an Alpha. As a Freelancer backer I really hope this lives up to the hype!

Seanspeed

Banned
I didn't say Sony needs Star Citizen (or vice versa), but just that the current policies surrounding patch parity likely kill potential partnerships before they can even really start. Anything high profile like SC that calls attention to that problem is good imo.
I know you didn't say that, but the point is that MS and Sony aren't going to change there because they don't need to. Its not really 'a problem' for them.

Its just kind of the natural difference between a closed and an open platform. You cant have it all.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why does 'technical simulator' have to mean 'slow'?

When did I say slow? I said fun. As in good objectives, interesting story, correct pacing for missions, and mechanics that work with the simulator to make suspense/drama/action that combine to create enjoyment.

injurai

Banned

My only fear is that they would implement enough sub-systems for managing stealth pursuits, or crisis management. I think that sort of is what will truly compound the engagement of the gameplay.

Visually it looks fantastic but the gameplay is still very rough which is to be expected of an Alpha. As a Freelancer backer I really hope this lives up to the hype!

gameplay didn't really look rough. the player's aim is what looked rough.

as one who spent all of my youth playing X-Wing, Descent:Freespace, and Tie Fighter, I'm very excited. But damn if his shitty play didn't steal the thunder away from what could have been a much more enjoyable demo. You could hear the audience desperate for any moment worthy of eruption...and he couldn't make shit happen for them.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My only fear is that they would implement enough sub-systems for managing stealth pursuits, or crisis management. I think that sort of is what will truly compound the engagement of the gameplay.

agreed, i think if they can make the game enough about the ships and how you manage them in all situations (distribution of shields, how the engines behave, ability to compromise certain areas to better others) along with a good combat pacing, they can have a winner. The key is just balancing it so you make the player feel like they are growing in their skills and actually making choices that matter and have noticeable effects on the gameplay.

SRTtoZ

gameplay didn't really look rough. the player's aim is what looked rough.

as one who spent all of my youth playing X-Wing, Descent:Freespace, and Tie Fighter, I'm very excited. But damn if his shitty play didn't steal the thunder away from what could have been a much more enjoyable demo. You could hear the audience desperate for any moment worthy of eruption...and he couldn't make shit happen for them.

Kind of makes you wonder, shouldn't he be one of the better pilots at this point? Lol

Honestly hadn't thought of it in that way. I really have never contemplated the effects of a dogfight in a zero g environment on the human body before.
I suppose I assumed it being space and there being no gravity, if the pilot was strapped in so he/she didn't bounce around the cockpit like a rubber ball, the pilot could perform high G maneuvers with little to no effect.
Obviously I was wrong.

The way the ships move here, there would be strong lateral gforces, but nobody would fly or design a ship like that in real life.
In something realistic the strong gforces would only come from forward and reverse thrust, rotating your ship would feel the same as spinning on the spot, which would feel like a mild fairground ride at worst, well unless you decide to spin it like a blender.

To put it another way, the gforces here are created by thrusters that decelerate your ship's sideways movement, like air would for a jet. But they're only there so it feels like a jet instead of a space ship.
Elite dangerous has this too but can be disabled, I'm guessing you can disable it here too?

keuja

Not impressed by the way the ship collides with asteroids. The physics seems off, like a plastic toy bumping around. Good visuals though.

Nzyme32

Dio

Banned
When did I say slow? I said fun. As in good objectives, interesting story, correct pacing for missions, and mechanics that work with the simulator to make suspense/drama/action that combine to create enjoyment.

Sorry, didn't mean to respond to you. There seem to be several people in this thread implying that fast means arcadey.

Ivan

It looks nice visually, buy I'm worried about this as a game. It's so bloated that actual game systems look like an afterthought :(.

I know this might be overreacting, but for me gameplay mechanics and atmosphere are no1. in games like this. They showed they can make a good spaceship encyclopedia, but I haven't seen anything that could look like a fun game yet.

They are collecting more and more money by making and selling ships, but there has to be a line somewhere when you shift your focus.

And being a simulation rather then arcade game doesn't mean they shouldn't worry about it as a video game at all.

I hope I'm wrong.

soontroll

Banned
Being fun is one of the first things a game should be - that SHOULD come before visual polish.

How can that happen when the game mechanics aren't even finished/refined? How can anyone say the game doesn't look fun from a couple of minutes of showing off the first glimpse of the DF?

FACE

Banned
PS4 port-begging on every thread is getting tiresome.

Man you can almost hear that poor PC panting and wheezing on the background.

jet1911

Not impressed by the way the ship collides with asteroids. The physics seems off, like a plastic toy bumping around. Good visuals though.

The asteroids caused no damage to the ship. Looks like a bug because the other structures around the map did damage the ship. Twice.

I didn't say Sony needs Star Citizen (or vice versa), but just that the current policies surrounding patch parity likely kill potential partnerships before they can even really start. Anything high profile like SC that calls attention to that problem is good imo.

Star Citizen is far from "high profile" honestly.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No shit, nothing is remotely close to being finished.

How can that happen when the game mechanics aren't even finished/refined? How can anyone say the game doesn't look fun from a couple of minutes of showing off the first glimpse of the DF?

He can think the game looks fun or doesn't look fun. Alpha, beta, or release, information is being presented and he's reacting to it. We all know the game isn't finished and subject to change. Deal with it.

Now, his statement that fun should come before polish is usually not viable in AAA video game development due to all the different cogs at work and how late in the process anything comes together at all. Fun is more like a nebulous ideal with bets placed on its realization at 1.0.

His demands for a possible port were pretty unreasonable though, he basically asked for the MMO aspect of the game to have zero cert which isn't even allowed for SOE products.

Sony should definitely get on making this happen. The game would be perfect for Morpheus.

Pagusas

Elden Member

This is why developers should be careful about what and how they show footage (and who is playing it). As you said this is our first glimpse, and other than looking very pretty, it failed to convey what is fun about the mechanics they have put in. Thats just bad marketing when you are developing a game. People like us look at that and say "its just an early preview, hopefully we will see some fun stuff soon" but other less informed potential customers that stumble across this footage and watch it expecting a revived wing commander are going to go "huh, that looks boring" and likely never give the game attention again.

And as for mechanics, usually mechanics and "what can be fun about them" is drawn up before anything is built. I'd very much hope they were always mindful of "how can x mechanic be fun, and if it cant be, why are we making it?"

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Honestly simulators don't really look "fun" in youtube videos to most. You can look at some squad making its way up and over a hill in ARMA 3 or a driver taking a series of hairpins in Assetto Corsa and think that nothing is really happening.

joecanada

Uh the article links he stated directly

"primarily a PC game " and " will always be pc first " and "anything else that happens will be after the (pc) fact"

There is not one mention of the word never in that post... And why you are so vocal about it is odd...

He said he would never dumb down the game, that's good enough. If it came to ps4 I'd get it, if not I'll likely get it on pc

Have they confirmed joystick, rudder and trackir support?

Yes to all three. However, TrackIR won't be initially supported for the Dogfighting Module. That will come some time later.

Can somebody explain the benefits of double precision which he said there moving to later on and if modern gpus handle it?

It's for the CPU actually as it relates to the physics engine.

tl;dr The benefit is that they can have larger volumes to navigate within and physics are slightly more accurate because of the higher precision.

The first one is the key point however. Space is big. Really big. Every player of course needs a position within space. Now, computers only have 32-bits (bits are a single 1 or 0) to represent this information. That is single precision, aka a "float" in C++. A float is structured in the following way (I won't go into detail on how its used, just know that the combinations of these is what is used to create a fraction such as 123.52131):

1 bit - Sign (positive or negative)
8 bits - Exponent
23 bits - Significand (fraction)

One important thing to note is that numbers are infinite, but our representation of them in computers is not. This means that there are rounding issues. Just an example, but 0.1 is a number which is unable to be correctly expressed in binary. It will have a rounding error. This means that if you do 10 * 0.1, you will NOT get 1. You will get a number that is close to 1, but not exactly. This is why when you're dealing with floating point, you almost never do a check if something is exactly equal to something else. You usually check if it is within an epsilon of the number you're checking. So if you do 0.1 * 10, you would check if it's equal to 1 + or - EPSILON (where epsilon is a really, really small number to overcome the rounding issues).

Now, the problem with this in a space game is that you have both a large volume of play space, as well as needing high accuracy within that play space. As you can see, there is a fixed limit to the number of positions that are possible because there are only so many bits available. You also need there to be enough precision so that as the player moves, it is smooth, and that they aren't jumping around because of very coarse precision. Basically, imagine that you are walking, but instead of it being a normal smooth walk, you always moved in one inch increments, with no possible in between positions.

Now, let's say that you determine that within 1 cubic foot of play space, you want there to be a certain amount of precision within that cubic foot. You can then figure out how big your entire play space will be because a float has a finite amount of bits (let's just say it comes out to 30km cubed). You can't go past this point without serious, game breaking issues.

Now, a double precision is double the space that a single precision number is. Its format is:
1 bit - sign
11 bits - exponent
52 bits - significand

As you can see, it simply has a lot more bits to create numbers out of. This means that in the case where you created that grid, you now have a larger grid you can create because there is higher precision. Your 30km cubed just became 100km cubed while keeping the same precision!

Also, it can represent numbers in a slightly more accurate way than single precision floating point. This means that the physics will overall be slightly more accurate because of less drift due to floating point errors, and because doubles can represent more numbers than floats so there will be less rounding overall. For example, let's say every frame I have a number and I add (0.1 * 10) to it. Remember that this result does not equal 1 due to floating point rounding errors. This means that over time the error will accumulate. With a double precision number, you minimize these sorts of errors, because you have higher precision.

I glossed over a lot of the nuances, but that's the somewhat simple version.

This is a really common issue in open world games. There's a side story about it on this Polygon article as it relates to Kerbal Space Program.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/1/27/5338438/kerbal-space-program

Hope that helps a bit! If you don't understand it, don't worry. It's an under the hood thing.

joecanada

PS4 port-begging on every thread is getting tiresome.

Man you can almost hear that poor PC panting and wheezing on the background.

People want games on all their systems, what's it to you?

I played every wing commander, every secret mission, every expansion, and I was still hyped when wing commander iv came to playstation. Bought it again, it was better on pc but that's not the point.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
People want games on all their systems, what's it to you?

I played every wing commander, every secret mission, every expansion, and I was still hyped when wing commander iv came to playstation. Bought it again, it was better on pc but that's not the point.

The point is people don't want the game to make any concessions or have the product delayed more than it already is. If this ever came out for a non PC platform, it would be a very long time from now as they are already behind schedule on development. They also are implementing things that inch it further and further away from possibility on (current)consoles. Shit is going to be barely possible on PC it seems lol

Abounder

Banned
Graphics look amazing although I think my computer is going to melt at 1v1s let alone 50v50. The major thing I'm skeptical about is that I don't think Star Citizen actually tested if their goals were feasible specifically large scale dog fighting in the Cry Engine but time will tell. I still play X-Wing Alliance from time to time to get that large scale space combat fix

Top Bottom