• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Command Official NA Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ninja, this bud's for you:
CREDITS
--------------------

Producer
Takaya Imamura

Director
Dylan Cuthbert

Programming Lead
Ryuji Nishikawa

Art Lead
Paul Leonard

Technology Lead
James McLaren

Network & Schedule Direction
Takhiro Matsuya

Technical & Map Direction
Shouichi Tominaga

Strategy & Enemy Direction
Kazushi Maeta

Enemy Model Design
Yutaka Kurahashi

Stage Model Design
Paul Leonard

Character Model Design
Yutaka Kurahashi

Game Engine Lead
Yasuhiro Miki

Strategy Map Design
Kazushi Maeta
Satoshi Ogino

Strategy Map Programming
Ryuji Nishikawa
Masahiro Yokota

Player & Camera Programming
Rhodri Broadbent
Yasuhiro Miki

Enemy Programming
Erik Slivken
Rhodri Broadbent

Game Sequence Programming
Masahiro Yokota
Kouichi Sato

Network Programming
Shinichiro Tanaka

Assistant Network Programming
Kouichi Sato
Hirokazu Eki

User Interface & 2D Design
Satoshi Ogino

Sound Effects & Programming In Game
Masato Mizuta

Music Composition
Hajime Wakai

Tool Programming
Erik Slivken
Shinichiro Tanaka

Artwork
Ryo Koizumi
Yasuo Inoue

Assistant Map Director
Kazuya Shiogai

Assistant Art
Andy Palmer
Riho Ohtomo

Assistant Programming
Hirokazu Eki

Assistant Planning
Akito Takahashi

North American Localization Management
Jeff Miller
Leslie Swan
Bill Trinen
Nate Bihldorff

North American Localization
Duncan Flett
Alan Averill
Tim O'Leary

Developed by
Q-Games Ltd.

Technical Support
Hironobu Kakui
Yoshito Yasuda
Shintaro Jikumaru

Special Thanks
Koji Kondo
Yasuhiro Kawaguchi
Kenji Yamamoto
Tetsuya Nakata
Masato Kimura
Dale Thomas
Jerome Liard
Kenkichi Shimooka
Miyo Uno-Cuthbert
Isao Moro
Mel Ide
Mr. Pooh
NOA Product Testing Department
SUPER MARIO CLUB

Supervisor
Katsuya Eguchi

General Producer
Shigeru Miyamoto

Executive Producer
Satoru Iwata

And I'm spent!
I'm not really checking this over for typos. Took too long! Sorry!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Ahh. Awesome. Looks like Q-Games did all the programming and graphic design. EAD did the music, artwork, and production / supervision.

Return Star Fox Veterans Include:

Takaya Imamura (Producer) EAD
* Character Designer and Art Director of the original Star Fox.

Katsuya Eguchi (Supervisor) EAD
* Director and Chief Game Designer of the original Star Fox

Hajime Wakai (Sound Composition) EAD
* Composer of Star Fox 64

Dylan Cuthbert (Director) Q-Games
* Lead Programmer of the original Star Fox.

Shigeru Miyamoto (General Producer) EAD
* Producer of the original Star Fox

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So Mejilan, is the game good? Do the controls work well?

Edit: They need Hirasawa back on the music dammit! SNES SF still has the best tunes.

Mejilan

I only have one complaint regarding controls. You kind of need to break your offense a bit in order to defend (barrel roll). Having to quickly slash the stylus back and forth three times works surprisingly fast in initiating a barrel roll, but if you were following or leading a target while attempting to barrel roll, you'll veer a bit before the roll starts. (Maintain the roll by simply not removing the stylus from the screen, once the roll starts. The roll will persist until you run out of boost power. You get time bonuses, which are CRUCIAL, for every shot you deflect, btw. How much time varies by ship.)

Currently, every single farking button shoots. I prefer L. What they should have done is (for righties), allow you to shoot by hitting any of the d-pad directions, and initiate/sustain a roll with L. (face buttons to shoot, R to barrel roll for righties).

The primary stylus controls work REALLY well, which kind of makes you wonder what went wrong with Rayman DS and Super Mario 64. Different kinds of games, I suppose. Platformers need strict and sharp controls, whereas games like Star Fox can get away with controls that simulate momentum.

The game, for a change, is surprisingly great. I'm having TONS of fun. Leagues better than Rare's SFA or Namco's SFAss. I doubt it'll match the timeless classic that is SF64, but in all honesty, what game of its ilk can?

Edit - SNES game by far had the best soundtrack. But I will forever luck SF64's for introducing the Star Wolf battle theme. Hell, one of the few things Namco got right was composing an orchestrated-style version of that theme for SFAss!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mejilan said:
I only have one complaint regarding controls. You kind of need to break your offense a bit in order to defend (barrel roll). Having to quickly slash the stylus back and forth three times works surprisingly fast in initiating a barrel roll, but if you were following or leading a target while attempting to barrel roll, you'll veer a bit before the roll starts. (Maintain the roll by simply not removing the stylus from the screen, once the roll starts. The roll will persist until you run out of boost power. You get time bonuses, which are CRUCIAL for every shot you deflect, btw. How much time varies by ship.)

Currently, every single face button shoots. I prefer L. What they should have done is (for righties), allow you to shoot by hitting any of the d-pad directions, and initiate/sustain a roll with L. (face buttons to shoot, R to barrel roll for righties).

The primary stylus controls work REALLY well, which kind of makes you wonder what went wrong with Rayman DS and Super Mario 64. Different kinds of games, I suppose. Platformers need strict and sharp controls, whereas games like Star Fox can get away with controls that simulate momentum.

The game, for a change, is surprisingly great. I'm having TONS of fun. Leagues better than Rare's SFA or Namco's SFAss. I doubt it'll match the timeless classic that is SF64, but in all honesty, what game of its ilk can?

Edit - SNES game by far had the best soundtrack. But I will forever luck SF64's for introducing the Star Wolf battle theme. Hell, one of the few things Namco got right was composing an orchestrated-style version of that theme for SFAss!
That's great to hear. I might pick this up tomorrow, I've been hearing more positive impressions than negative.

Mejilan

It seems like a sick combination of SF64 and the (understandably) unreleased SF2, only not as purely scripted arcade awesome as SF64, and not nearly as shitty as SF2. I'm only about 4 missions into the game, but the "random" skirmish encounters are surprisingly varied, and though relatively brief, have grown to be nail-biting-inducing! If it isn't a surprising amount of early-on difficulty, it's a race against the clock (fuel).

Flynn

The game is pretty fun. The enemies, strategy situations and bosses get harder as you unlock and explore new story paths. I've gotten three endings at this point (I've had the game for a week).

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there's a feature that records your voice, then chops it up for the in-game speech. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds pretty neat.

Mejilan

Yeah, you can choose between normal voices (SF gibberish), machine, or user voice. I haven't changed it from normal yet.

Alright demi! You've changed the main page, but I get a no permissions error when trying to hit up the SFC page. I guess that part's not up yet?

Flynn

Mejilan said:
Lol. The image of the breakup. Awesome. :D

starfox.JPG

I ask this in pretty much every official game thread that I'm most interested in, but this is really important for me.

Is it worth the money? 30-35$?

kiryogi

Banned
I hear negative, I hear positive D: But I love starfox and reserved this a few months ago. It's mine tomorrow. But you're dead if youre wrong Mei!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Can the Japanese version go up against the US one... better test later tonight then :)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Seriously, I'm totally on the fence now. After the emo thread and 1up impressions, I was going to skip it, but now the game seems fun again. I just want a good Starfox game!

I don't mean any offense to Mejilin, but I'm sort of on the fence when it comes to his game impressions... his impressions on TAO, Deep Labyrinth, and now Starfox all seem to be positive, but these go against the "popular" opinion of most game rating sites, so I dunno. Again, no offense, his impressions do seem informative, and to be fair, I haven't ever played TAO, Deep Labyrinth, or Starfox. :p

Deku

Banned
BorkBork said:
Seriously, I'm totally on the fence now. After the emo thread and 1up impressions, I was going to skip it, but now the game seems fun again. I just want a good Starfox game!

It's a unique kind of game. One thing its not is an on-rails shooter, so if you love Star Fox for just that, then this is not the game for you.

But if you like space operas, and flying spaceships and exciting dog fights in the sky, this game may hold some appeal. The controls aren't perfect and the strategy elements may not be everyone's cup of tea.

RaidenZR

I can't wait to get this game tomorrow, but the soap-opera-ish storyline has me kinda worried. I think they may need to give the franchise a respite and then reboot it after this one subsides. It was so much more appealing before Rare and Namco muddied the waters (just speaking about the storyline and universe). I liked Fox when he was just trying to be like his cool pops, James McCloud. Now he's all whipped and shit? For Krystal? Who's a worthless character, in my opinion. And the tangents Pepper, Peppy and Slippy have gone on are just annoying for someone who is really into the first two foundational entires in the series.

Either way I hope the gameplay gives me some flavor of what I originally liked about the series (I played it at E3 and liked what I tried). And I just realized this uses the rumble cart, so cool. Little throwback to the days of 64.

Captain N

Does anyone know if two people can play on WFC at the same time from the same house? if so I'm gonna get my girlfriend a copy today too.

The real question is- Wait for Dragon Quest, Mario B-Ball and Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon or jump on SF today? I'm certain SF will be on the shelf for a long time to come. DQ Slime may not.

sammy

I'm a few missions in, and honestly I'm suppressed ---- this is some of the most fun I've had with a Starfox in a while, the 'strategy' style mechanic leading up to quick-burst battles is portable candy. And I can see the strategic parts actually needing some brain power, as you play out your turns.

the game is silky smooth in action, and looks great ---- I bought it for the controls (tried 'em at E3, and loved the stylus) they work so well, and now you can actually invert aim for flight stickstyle.
the little 'gestures' work pretty good for the stylus -- tap the top part of the screen for boost, bottom for brakes, and jerk the stylus to roll ------ with all these you can just keep the stylus planted on screen to keep the move sustained ('till you run out of special-move juice)

dragging bombs from HUD onto the map/radar is damn brilliant :)

Symytry said:
That's awesome news! I'm not going to get Starfox, but this is good news for upcoming releases.

it shoudl also be noted that Mario Vs Donkey Kong II: March of the Minis is also down for 34.99 at the futureshop and bestbuy websites :D

I'm actually guessing that this is partially the result of Sony's $24.99 PSP greatest hits titles. I mean I think the day that PSP titles were going to go for half the price of a DS game nintendo of Canada finally realized they needed to stay competative.

Mejilan

Chris Michael said:
I don't mean any offense to Mejilin, but I'm sort of on the fence when it comes to his game impressions... his impressions on TAO, Deep Labyrinth, and now Starfox all seem to be positive, but these go against the "popular" opinion of most game rating sites, so I dunno. Again, no offense, his impressions do seem informative, and to be fair, I haven't ever played TAO, Deep Labyrinth, or Starfox. :p

In my defense, I mentioned in both the Tao and Deep Labyrinth threads that I WAS the built in audience for those types of games. I love rogue-likes, and I love first person dungeon hacks (hell, any dungeon hacks), and when it comes to those particular genres, they're always immediately better just for being portable titles.

I haven't played through SFC yet, and I can't tell you how well the gameplay evolves or holds up all throughout. I'm just saying that after the terrible SF2 on the SNES, SFA by Rare, and SFAss by Namco, all awful for their own reasons, SFC feels good. It isn't any kind of SF, SNES-style, and nowhere near as good as SF64 either. But it's the third SF game I actually find myself enjoying. By quite a bit.

I hope it lasts. But it'll be awhile before I finish it, and even longer before I try out the multi (4 player via WFC, 6 via local wireless).

Tiktaalik

I saw in a flyer at Best Buy (Canada) today that when you buy Star Fox DS on Aug 30th there you get a $10 Best Buy certificate. Which essentially cuts the game down to C$29 from C$39. Although I don't know if you can use that $10 certificate on Star Fox itself. I doubt it. You'll probably have to use that credit toward UG&G or something.

WOW. i love this game. the strategy part is ****ing awesome.
the controls feel pretty natural. Not bad at all
i'm on level 4 and its getting pretty hard.
everyone needs to pick this game up

Eid

Every Star Fox game since SF64 has been a disappointment. Hopefully, they don't screw up the Wii version too.

Xristot

ok, impressions. Finally. This game seriously rocks. Its not gonna beat SF64 anytime but its well up there. The action is fast and the strategy doesn't take much time or thought (although you can spend time on that if you want). I think mejilan expressed my thoughts nicely. So I don't think I'll rewrite the same stuff. Just pick up this game...

Top Bottom