• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Command Official NA Thread

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so this game rocks?

:sigh

*adds another title to must buy list*

btw how's the music?

Funny thing to note, the local multiplayer only works through DS Download Play (i.e. one copy only) and of course, the game goes online. Local wireless is up to 6 players, online multiplayer is up to 4 players.

Cant pick a level in multiplayer?

I feel like the roll control might be a little problematic on later stages.

Only completed the first mission, but other than that, so far so good.

Zaxxon said:
I saw in a flyer at Best Buy (Canada) today that when you buy Star Fox DS on Aug 30th there you get a $10 Best Buy certificate. Which essentially cuts the game down to C$29 from C$39. Although I don't know if you can use that $10 certificate on Star Fox itself. I doubt it. You'll probably have to use that credit toward UG&G or something.

no, that's a type-o, by itself it's still only $34.99

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10075816&catid=22033

sammy

:lol :lol :lol

I just spent a damn HOUR online, I smoked EVERY damn person and didn't lose a single match ..... yet I have 0% recorded for all my stats, since every damn person droped-out.

this game is outstanding though, sleeper hit for me... i almost didn't snagg it.

sammy said:
:lol :lol :lol

I just spent a damn HOUR online, I smoked EVERY damn person and didn't lose a single match ..... yet I have 0% recorded for all my stats, since every damn person droped-out.

this game is outstanding though, sleeper hit for me... i almost didn't snagg it.

i won 3 matches too and my record ist ill 0

this game is better then i expected in every way. i was worried about the stylus controls and they work great. my wrist hurts a bit from playing but it's all good. i haven't tried online yet but i love the whole strategy of moving your ships on the battlefield in the single player. and the story is pretty interesting so far. glad i picked it up.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I still feel mixed on the stylus control, but I'm hoping I get better at it as the game progresses..

I'd be trying the online portion out by now, but I've yet to figure out how to get online when I'm accessing a WiFi network that requires an HTML login page. I have a USB adaptor (generic) and a network card, but now I can't get an IP address on the DS... grrr...

kiryogi

Banned
:eek: It's not onrails but be damned if it isn't fun. Definitely the best entry out of the latest ones. I'm still not too hot about barrel rolling with the stylus but I'm bound to get it down eventually. Long Live Starfox!

BooJoh

DavidDayton said:
I still feel mixed on the stylus control, but I'm hoping I get better at it as the game progresses..

I'd be trying the online portion out by now, but I've yet to figure out how to get online when I'm accessing a WiFi network that requires an HTML login page. I have a USB adaptor (generic) and a network card, but now I can't get an IP address on the DS... grrr...
With the USB adapter I'd think you would be able to just log in with the PC first, but if you're connecting the DS directly to the network and it requires html login, you're pretty well screwed... althought this brings up an interesting question. If one had the DS browser, would logging in through that allow you to maintain login priveleges if you shut off the system and change games?

Nester

I wasn't going to be able to buy this until Sunday since I'm broke at the moment. I was just doing some dishes a moment ago and decided to clean out my toaster.

Ended up finding this little guy sitting in the bottom, which I had lost in January:

2kb4.jpg

It was more curled up than in the picture and very stiff, so I had to heat it over my stove and uncurl it so I could see the serial code inside.

$57.82 on the card when I checked online! Bought Star Fox for pickup in my local store tomorrow morning.

I love it when little things like this work out. :)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hurrah I got my Aussie Copy early now I can play everyelse before they get bored!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
BooJoh said:
With the USB adapter I'd think you would be able to just log in with the PC first, but if you're connecting the DS directly to the network and it requires html login, you're pretty well screwed... althought this brings up an interesting question. If one had the DS browser, would logging in through that allow you to maintain login priveleges if you shut off the system and change games?

Logically it should, as the MAC address remains the same.

I've gotten myself online now. Whee... did one set of battles. I'm a little surprised by the lack of voice chat between battles, etc.. MPH had a good interface -- why don't we still have that?

AniHawk

Star Fox 64 >>>> Star Fox > Star Fox Command >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Star Fox Assault > Star Fox Adventures

Assault was technically the worst game overall, but at least it didn't waste a whole lot of time between the only good levels (the first and last). Adventures was mediocre at best with some shitty rails levels sprinkled in.

Command is all right so far. The strategy and dogfighting is a little basic, but not too bad. It would've been king if it was all on-rails.

Well I guess I'll be getting SFC. GAF hype pulls me in once again. I still want a traditional on-rails SF for the DS, though.

BTW, can this game be played with the thumbstrap?

AniHawk

Chris Michael said:
Well I guess I'll be getting SFC. GAF hype pulls me in once again. I still want a traditional on-rails SF for the DS, though.

BTW, can this game be played with the thumbstrap?

I hadnt thought of that, but I'd recommend it. I found myself staring at the stupid map instead of the screen as I was playing, trying to guide my little ship icon around on the screen.

Bartman3010 said:
Funny thing to note, the local multiplayer only works through DS Download Play (i.e. one copy only) and of course, the game goes online. Local wireless is up to 6 players, online multiplayer is up to 4 players.

Cant pick a level in multiplayer?
I dunno if I'd say it is better than Assault yet. I've only played a little so far and I'm disappointed in the lack of real levels. Giant open arenas lack the element of surprise from Assault's multiplayer. It is totally different.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The strategy element is really cool and fits the series. However, there still should be a couple of on-rail levels in addition.

AniHawk

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The strategy element is really cool and fits the series. However, there still should be a couple of on-rail levels in addition.

I'm crossing my fingers that whatever Wii Star Fox will just be on-rails and developed by the N64 team or another bunch of guys that are actually competent.

Not to say SFC is bad or anything. It's just not what I'd consider Star Fox.

sammy

fun game, got my first ending last night --- onto the other missions, they're seeming a lot more challenging. :)

my friend code:

sammy
913 237 172 090

I'll add anyone who's on this thread.

I'd like the next Star Fox to return to what Namco had going with Assault's multiplayer. I don't like the strategy gameplay found in command. It just slows things down.

evilromero said:
I'd like the next Star Fox to return to what Namco had going with Assault's multiplayer. I don't like the strategy gameplay found in command. It just slows things down.

I was afraid of this, but it won't stop me from buying it. Hopefully it'll grow on me.

NickP786

My wireless internet connections been screwing up lately, so im not gonna be online in the game for a little while (Or at least untill school starts), but here's my friend code anyways

NickP
869 568
973 933

Nester

In the box there's an ad for:

"If you like Star Fox Command, Check out these other great games."

It shows box arts for Mario Hoops 3on3, Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 and New Super Mario Bros.

Both Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 and Mario Hoops 3on3 have Nintendo WiFi Connection blue dots on them.

Even though the japanese verison didn't have it, are they planning on adding WiFi connection play in for the US Version of Mario Hoops, or is it an error? Pretty big error to put the WiFi connection logo on the box art and tease me like that. :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
SpeedRazor said:
In the box there's an ad for:

"If you like Star Fox Command, Check out these other great games."

It shows box arts for Mario Hoops 3on3, Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 and New Super Mario Bros.

Both Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 and Mario Hoops 3on3 have Nintendo WiFi Connection blue dots on them.

Even though the japanese verison didn't have it, are they planning on adding WiFi connection play in for the US Version of Mario Hoops, or is it an error? Pretty big error to put the WiFi connection logo on the box art and tease me like that. :(
Hoops isn't online:

http://mariohoops.com/Prelaunch/

evilromero said:
I don't like the strategy gameplay found in command. It just slows things down.

I'm not a fan of strategy games, so I find this element to slow down the pace of the game, but overall, I'm still having fun with SF:C.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, the game is solid on all fronts. My only real gripes are the lack of on-rail levels (which isn't TOO offensive since this game focuses more on dogfighting than anything else), and the barrel roll, which has been awesomely redone from a mechanics standpoint, but can be a little imprecise in getting it to start.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I dig the concept so far, though just like the last few Starfox titles, the namebrand just seems tacked on to some gimmickry idea. Fortunately, this time the execution is pretty damned inventive and enjoyable. Stylus control is quite smooth after a bit of practice.

Can't help but feel the time limit is just tossed in to alleviate how the whole game concept is still in its infancy. Nevertheless its pretty damned cool in the early goings.

Mejilan

Brandon F said:
Can't help but feel the time limit is just tossed in to alleviate how the whole game concept is still in its infancy. Nevertheless its pretty damned cool in the early goings.

I kinda agree, but forced or not, it DOES tend to up both the difficulty and the strategy factor, since the timer spans the ENTIRE mission, and not just that particular skirmish/battle. I believe the timer is explained away, in-game, as fuel, btw, so it makes that you'd only have so much fuel for a given mission... Though you can occasionally pick up those +25 second fuel drop containers dropped by enemies, etc.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
stolin said:
We bought two of of them in store at Future Shop today an got $10 the pair off by default. So $29.99 CAD. Great price.

Star Fox Command @ Future Shop

"Buy 2 Nintendo DS games and SAVE $10!
Purchase any two regular priced Nintendo DS games and SAVE $10!"

I saw that deal too, but I couldn't think of another DS game I wanted. So I went over to Walmart after work and got it for $29 CAD as well.

Mejilan

I believe in future replays, you can access missions that were otherwise locked off in the initial run-through.

AniHawk

I think Command is skippable. Especially with the September trio of Dragon Quest Heroes, Contact, and Mega Man ZX. Sure, it might be fun, like Metroid Prime Hunters or Super Princess Peach, but hardly a must-buy.

AniHawk said:
I think Command is skippable. Especially with the September trio of Dragon Quest Heroes, Contact, and Mega Man ZX. Sure, it might be fun, like Metroid Prime Hunters or Super Princess Peach, but hardly a must-buy.

Contact was delayed until October. Also, what is DQH about? I'm curious.

I'm loving the game so far. Maybe not a must-buy, but definitely a "strongly consider."

Ferd

salva said:
i won 3 matches too and my record ist ill 0

Yeah, you have to play Battle Royale to get rank/stats. It's pretty easy to find players, or atleast it is for me tonight. Got my rank up to V already. Having a great time with both single and multiplayer.

BorkBork

Played it for about an hour and a bit.

Pretty fun game, I finished mission 3 with the
massive crab
:lol :lol :lol. My hand is totally cramping up though.

Shit, I just realized Slippy's fiancee's name is A-MAN-DA. Just thought I would throw that out there.

BorkBork

Just beat the single player mode the first time around. :lol at the ending too.
I really like the strategy component of the game. I wish there was a bit more variety to the various stages though, and the boss fights are pretty lame.

Top Bottom