• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Command Official NA Thread

Xristot

Mejilan said:
Oh hey! I think that when you're going through the beacons to take out a mothership, that you have infinite boost/move power! I initiated the barrel roll before passing the first beacon, and I made it all the way to the end without the meter ever depleting. I didn't know this. Cool.

Edit - Yep, each beacon definitely fully refills your boost meter. Rock.

Edit 2 - Man, maybe it's just me, but the very first map of my second campaign run was already quite different than the initial romp!

yeah, it seems like each successive playthrough, the AI gets a bit trickier with ship placement. On my third playthrough, I had to make sure to get a perfect in two dogfights so that I could save my ship because they totally surprised me. It definetly gets interesting. I'm really enjoying this game and despite the mediocre reviews it got from some places. It's definetly one of my favorite ds games so far.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alright. Added all 14 of you suckers that updated Demi's index!

About halfway done with the 2nd playthrough. I think I've definitely nailed down the controls now. They are excellent.

I just picked this up and finished the first couple of levels. I'm a huge Starfox fan and I like it so far, although it's not fantastic. The controls work well enough, I debate whether they are better than just regular controls (my hands cramp after awhile), but they are definitely usuable. I do wish they had just stuck with on-rails and that the levels so far were longer, but I do sort of like the drawing lines on the map stuff finding time and missles, etc.

Also, I can tell there will probably be a lot of replay route and score wise, which I really like, right now getting used to it I'm just trying to get through it, but I'm looking forward to racking up better scores later. Overall good so far, but not perfect. I rarely say this, but I actually really think this concept would be great for Wii controls and with some longer levels could be really great.

Beezy

Goddammit, I didn't expect this game to turn out good. Now I have another DS game to add to my long ass "to buy" list.

Javaman

Sweet, I picked up this game today and after playing the first couple levels fired up multiplayer. I somehow managed to kill all three other players with a single bomb and took home the 3 fight round overall. Right now I'm ranked Y (%13). What does the percentage mean?

RaidenZR

Falco's story bits are some of the best parts so far. Oh, and I totally dig that I can finally play as Bill and Katt. That is total goodness. Wish you could do that in multi.

Anyone else think that the backdrops on Katina looked great?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
RaidenZR said:
Falco's story bits are some of the best parts so far. Oh, and I totally dig that I can finally play as Bill and Katt. That is total goodness. Wish you could do that in multi.

Anyone else think that the backdrops on Katina looked great?
I came here to mention about the parts with Falco! :lol they are great indeed. I'm starting to apreciate the barrel roll with the stylus a lot more than before. It's working great now that I have a better grip with it. The variety of final bosses a great too, very N64~ish. I got three different endings & and all of them had different final bosses.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Maridia said:
Must... resist... buying...

Must... save... for... Contact...

Contact is delayed. So you can go and buy it.

The game is growing on me. Just beat it second time through, much tougher.

BorkBork said:
Contact is delayed. So you can go and buy it.

The game is growing on me. Just beat it second time through, much tougher.
Yeah, I finished the first run through today, there is something addictive about it, although I do wish there were some longer levels. Definitely happy I picked it up though.

RaidenZR

I got a Star Wolf ending last night. The end boss was a friggin' bitch too. Very cool though, and I highly endorse this game more and more.

Add me on the bandwagon of being addicted to the game.

The first hours of play were really mixed. Couldn't do the barrel roll properly, and I thought the game was way too simplistic and easy.

Now the second time around it's much more challenging,
and I didn't know we could play with the Star Wolf members, which is quite awesome.

Also add the fact that the game is only 34.99$ CAD (thanks NoC!), I do not regret this purchase at all.

mosaic

go eat paint
Ugh, based on the positive hype here, and having some spare cash, I plunked down for Star Fox Command the other day. Whoops!

Either you guys are on some superb mood altering drugs and hell-bent on loving every Nintendo first-party product, or I somehow am totally missing the appeal.

Started playing a few hours ago and have worked my way through the initial run with Fox, Slippy, Falco, etc., and WAS NOT MOVED. The free-roam setup and stylus controls are fine, but combat is extremely dull and repetitive. They should've done more with the strategy stuff, because the battles are ZZZZzzzz. Enemy AI was worthless and enemy ship designs cruddy. The one time during the first run-through that I actually smiled was fighting the crab boss.

I'm going to give it another run-through to see if the alternate missions are better. God, I hope so. The enemies, the locations; my first time through it all just felt so bland. I felt no majesty. Was hoping to at least feel something akin to what I felt the first few times I played the Super NES game. That game was slick and fun and bigger than life. This one, so far, is... eh... I dunno.... not awesome...

Edit: 2nd run-through complete, in the middle of my third. Got the Falco/Pigma ending the second time. The strategy portions were tougher and the story was more amusing, but the battles were just as blah. Pigma was a fun boss to fight though. I'm starting to see that they designed the game so you fight one interesting boss per run... oy.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
mosaic said:
Ugh, based on the positive hype here, and having some spare cash, I plunked down for Star Fox Command the other day. Whoops!

Either you guys are on some superb mood altering drugs and hell-bent on loving every Nintendo first-party product, or I somehow am totally missing the appeal.

Started playing a few hours ago and have worked my way through the initial run with Fox, Slippy, Falco, etc., and WAS NOT MOVED. The free-roam setup and stylus controls are fine, but combat is extremely dull and repetitive. They should've done more with the strategy stuff, because the battles are ZZZZzzzz. Enemy AI was worthless and enemy ship designs cruddy. The one time during the first run-through that I actually smiled was fighting the crab boss.

I'm going to give it another run-through to see if the alternate missions are better. God, I hope so. The enemies, the locations; my first time through it all just felt so bland. I felt no majesty. Was hoping to at least feel something akin to what I felt the first few times I played the Super NES game. That game was slick and fun and bigger than life. This one, so far, is... eh... I dunno.... not awesome...

Yeah, I had high hopes, but this game is incredibly boring.

Mejilan

Heartless bastards! It's the first good SF in years! Enjoy it! There might be 2+ more shitty sequels before we get another decent one! :)

Shinobix

dsc00082gv1.jpg

Felt like posting it :(

Man, I suck at WiFi on this game so bad. It was the main reason I bought the game too.

Thankfully, I really like single player. On my third play through now.

Vic

The multiple playable characters make this game shine!
Panther and Peppy <3 <3 <3^

BooJoh

Shinobix said:
dsc00082gv1.jpg

Felt like posting it :(
The word peoples is used properly there.
the dictionary said:
When people means “the entire body of persons who constitute a community or other group by virtue of a common culture, history, etc.,” it is used as a singular, with the plural peoples: This people shares characteristics with certain inhabitants of central Asia. The aboriginal peoples of the Western Hemisphere speak many different languages.

VicAlpha said:
The multiple playable characters make this game shine!
Panther and Peppy <3 <3 <3^

That keeps me coming back for more (still 3 characters to "unlock").

The Emperor Anglar boss from Venom is completely awesome. Truly old-school Star Fox that makes me just wish the whole game was like that.

Vic

The Main Event said:
That keeps me coming back for more (still 3 characters to "unlock").

The Emperor Anglar boss from Venom is completely awesome. Truly old-school Star Fox that makes me just wish the whole game was like that.
It's the only part that is similar to the 64 game :lol oh, and Slippy is awesome too

Add me to the lsit of people who were pleasantly surprised by this game. I'll go as far to say that I'm having more fun with this game than I did with Hunters (which isn't hard cause I don't really like Hunters). Controls work AMAZINGLY well, and the battles for the most part are really fun. The strategy parts are okay too, I don't really have a problem with them. Story is incredibly hilarious in some parts, both when it's meant to be and NOT meant to be.

Online is REALLY fun too.

BooJoh

When I began hearing about the changes that had been made... the lack of rails levels, the forced stylus controls, and especially the time limits, I was pretty much ready to write the game off as another bad Starfox and was almost resolved to skip it. Thankfully I caved after seeing the positive impressions and good review scores, and now I'm really having a ton of fun with the game. It's still no Starfox 64, but I'm definitely glad I got it.

Vic

BrandNew said:
Add me to the lsit of people who were pleasantly surprised by this game. I'll go as far to say that I'm having more fun with this game than I did with Hunters (which isn't hard cause I don't really like Hunters). Controls work AMAZINGLY well, and the battles for the most part are really fun. The strategy parts are okay too, I don't really have a problem with them. Story is incredibly hilarious in some parts, both when it's meant to be and NOT meant to be.

Online is REALLY fun too.
The only part I had difficulties with the controls was with those bases where there's only one ship and those ships are goddanm good. Got shooted down a couple of times and had me pissed off. The multiples stories, characters, boss and endings are the highlights of this game imo. The drama bewteen Slippy and his girlfriend is awesome too :lol
I couldn't hold it when I saw
Amanda: End.Of.Disscussion
:lol :lol :lol

This game does totally rock, and enemy missiles do totally suck. My problem isn't that I didn't know I have to shoot them, it's that I tend to concentrate on shooting them too much, and miss a damn square, when they have a sliver of health left. Grr.

Mejilan

platypotamus said:
This game does totally rock, and enemy missiles do totally suck. My problem isn't that I didn't know I have to shoot them, it's that I tend to concentrate on shooting them too much, and miss a damn square, when they have a sliver of health left. Grr.

Don't shoot 'em. Concentrate solely on hitting the beacons to keep on the missiles' trails, and hold down a button to initiate a lock-on. Once you've secured the lock, shoot, and then hold down the button again. You'll always be able to secure timely lock-ons as you navigate the beacons. Depending on your vehicle, 2-4 lock-ons should do it for each missile.

Of course, if you know that some of your crew will be piloting vehicles that lack lock-on, have those hunt down bases and regular skirmishes, avoiding the missiles.

Unless, of course, it's panther, that can shoot down a missile in like 3 regular shots. Wow.

Vic

Mejilan said:
Don't shoot 'em. Concentrate solely on hitting the beacons to keep on the missiles' trails, and hold down a button to initiate a lock-on. Once you've secured the lock, shoot, and then hold down the button again. You'll always be able to secure timely lock-ons as you navigate the beacons. Depending on your vehicle, 2-4 lock-ons should do it for each missile.

Of course, if you know that some of your crew will be piloting vehicles that lack lock-on, have those hunt down bases and regular skirmishes, avoiding the missiles.

Unless, of course, it's panther, that can shoot down a missile in like 3 regular shots. Wow.
I think it's actually 2 shots with Panther

I enjoy this game. I only wish that there was more variety in the environments that forced you to change manueveribility tactics. Its obvious that Q attempted it but the hardware obviously cant seem to keep up and the framerate chugs where more environmental hazards (pillar flames, flame walls, stone pillars) are present. All in all, I eagerly a fleshed out sequel on the ds2 that can benefit from more hardware power.

yayaba

OMFG THOSE DAMN MISSILES!

I did the same thing that someone mentioned... I thought you would have to fly through all the beacons. No wonder the last freakin' beacon was impossible to reach :lol.

So far so good. I'm pleasantly surprised!

Are there a lot of Wifi players playing this usually? I'm afraid this is one of those niche titles that sooner or later will be impossible to find someone to play against...

Edit: Just beat it my first time. Great game :)

Add me!

Nick: Dos Jus
991 882 526 683

I'm going through the online list and adding all GAF'ers.

With the missles, I've found that if you just start shooting straight when you get into range you will kill it within 2 beacons or so, I haven't had problems since doing that.

Holy cow how I love this game! I like how in different levels you can take command of different characters and the different levels of challenge - get 100%, the little strategy bits at the beginning of the levels, etc.

After you get past the adjustment phase the stylus controls are actually very good for this type of game!

Another DS classic in my book!

Code_Link

yayaba said:
OMFG THOSE DAMN MISSILES!

I did the same thing that someone mentioned... I thought you would have to fly through all the beacons. No wonder the last freakin' beacon was impossible to reach :lol.

Haha, I thought so too. I was so pissed and saying the game's controls were crap because they didn't allow you to make the movements needed to fly through the last beacons. Until I decided to keep pressing the fire button, and saw that the missile got locked, I figured out you had to destroy them.

Still, I had fun with the game. I just got the third ending!

NotWii

Banned
I've just got around to playing this gem and ... HOOOOOOOLYYYYYYY CRAAAAAAAAAAAP
IT'S STARFOX 2!!

startscreenpn7.png

Free range navigation, real time enemy movement, missiles, motherships are all in!
maptm4.png

The free range battles where you have to take out X amount of enemies!
fortunali3.png

02.png

And this ship is now Great Fox in SFC!
androssattackrc0.png

Heck even this boss is back!
dragonaz8.png

The graphics are awesome for DS, the controls are decent (use the thumbstrap and it sorta feels like SF64), the story is entertaining, the music is good, lots of replay, but most importantly the game is great fun!

NotWii

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I still haven't gotten this yet... I'm slacking.
Get it! It's Staaaaaarfoooooox 2!!!!!!!

Only thing I don't like about it is it acknowledges the Starfox Abortions: Adventures & Assault
And it doesn't have the awesome music from the unreleased SNES version

Sad_Panda

Wow, StarFox Command for 20$ ? Even if my faith in the franchise has gone downhill since that crap Assault, that's still an awesome deal. Ordered.

Wii said:
Get it! It's Staaaaaarfoooooox 2!!!!!!!

Only thing I don't like about it is it acknowledges the Starfox Abortions: Adventures & Assault
And it doesn't have the awesome music from the unreleased SNES version
How is it at all similar to SF2? The game couldn't be more dissimilar. Are you just suggesting that SF:C has multiple vehicles for each character and free-roaming levels? That is where the similarities end.

Top Bottom