• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Command Official NA Thread

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Ok I have added;

Mej, Jhonnyboy, sammy, Nick P, rafman, ant1532, scoobert, DavidDayton, Brandonn

My Friend code is 961 239 836 954

If you add me let me know!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
damn, I just played the first two training levels and I cannot believe how well the control feels. I'm suddenly not annoyed that there's touch controls in Zelda.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Chris Michael said:
I'd like some opinions on this, seeing as I might buy the game today...

Depends on your definition of value, I guess.

The strategy element in the singleplayer is actually pretty interesting. I'll agree with the previous posters who contend that the time in each mission feels like a band-aid fix, but it does make for some occasionally strategically tense setups. It's not super deep, though, so don't go in expecting Advance Wars with StarFox dogfights in place of combat movies. And there are really only four types of dogfights - general "Kill all the special enemy" fights, "Blow up the Independence Day Ship and Save the City" fights, "Chase and blow up the missile" fights, and boss battles.

The first time through the game is a straight line. After you beat it, you gain the ability to unlock all the other branching paths of the story to see all the possible endings and play entirely new levels and boss fights. But there's nothing to unlock other than an ending gallery and profiles for each pilot, so if that's your thing, you'll probably feel disappointed and empty by the singleplayer.

Multiplayer is quite fun (especially if you get four or five people in locally) but it's a tad simplistic - just dogfighting. But it's some solid dogfighting using traditional Starfox mechanics like barrel rolls to deflect bullets, loop-de-loops to avoid lock-ons, etc. However, you don't get to choose your ships or your level (not that the level matters, but I think some are prettier, dammit!).

All in all, if you dig StarFox or aerial combat or decent multiplayer with one cartridge, try this game out. If not, I'd hold off 'till it was $20 or so.

Yep, this game ****ing rocks. I beat it last night for the first time last night...making my second runthrough tonight.

I found it very easy once you get the hang of things, just do the barrel rolls whenever approaching an enemy and grab every upgrade ring in each stage and it's a piece of cake. I finished with 8 lives my first time around. I love how it's a completely different game the second time around...new enemies, stages, bosses...most aren't rehashed.

And online, like I said in my last post, is awesome too. There's a ton of guys with A ranks already, which is insane. I just wish that pop-up didn't happen so often, because you're basically screwed if you don't look at the radar every 2 seconds. So much strategy involved too.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
DigDugDirkDiggler said:
Yep, this game ****ing rocks. I beat it last night for the first time last night...making my second runthrough tonight.

I found it very easy once you get the hang of things, just do the barrel rolls whenever approaching an enemy and grab every upgrade ring in each stage and it's a piece of cake. I finished with 8 lives my first time around. I love how it's a completely different game the second time around...new enemies, stages, bosses...most aren't rehashed.

And online, like I said in my last post, is awesome too. There's a ton of guys with A ranks already, which is insane. I just wish that pop-up didn't happen so often, because you're basically screwed if you don't look at the radar every 2 seconds. So much strategy involved too.

The worst are the assholes that know when you're going to the health ring to recover, and drop a bomb right on it when you're almost there.

That makes me cry.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I got the game since this morning. Wow! I don't need to write some positive impressions, read the thread, but i'll say it's a great StarFox game on it's own. The fact that it's not on-rail do not make it a "bad StarFox" game. It's a really enjoyable game & as it's writed at the back of the boxart, "Fox returns to his roots in a blistering 3-D space shooter!" First time Nintendo admitting their mistakes? :lol

unifin

Game's awesome but...

BLOODY MOTHER ****ING MISSILE SLIPSTREAMS. WTF.

I'm having a really hard time with them for some reason. Tips?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, the game definitely needs to win some kind of merit award for introducing so many unconventional types of enemy weaponry for you to dodge, deflect (or in my case, crash through)!

unifin said:
Game's awesome but...

BLOODY MOTHER ****ING MISSILE SLIPSTREAMS. WTF.

I'm having a really hard time with them for some reason. Tips?

just multi lock it X4 and the missile will die with one shot

unifin

salva said:
just multi lock it X4 and the missile will die with one shot

You... can shoot it?

Bloody hell - I thought you had to fly through all the rings a la the mothership.

****ity **** ****.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
unifin said:
You... can shoot it?

Bloody hell - I thought you had to fly through all the rings a la the mothership.

****ity **** ****.

Yep I did that for about 2 hours before realising you can shoot it :lol

unifin

salva said:
ROB ****ing tells you to shoot the missile. did you guys read?

I didn't bother... My thought process basically was.... "Ohhh, okay - red squares. I just have to fly through them now, and then I'll beat it!"

I was wondering why it was so impossible. :p

well i just tried my first wi-fi game and even though someone dropped out and ended the game i was having a blast. here is my code:

731 674
136 421

improvise5 said:
well i just tried my first wi-fi game and even though someone dropped out and ended the game i was having a blast. here is my code:

731 674
136 421

added
my code:
384 200
167 481

ima be searching for you

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Falco: What!? Slippy's engaged? Like...to a woman? Muhahahaha!!!!1

:lol

ok i'll practice then come back and play another time. i'm pretty embarrassed :lol i didn't realize how important power ups were.

improvise5 said:
ok i'll practice then come back and play another time. i'm pretty embarrassed :lol i didn't realize how important power ups were.

anyone else would like to get massacred by deadly-salva?

BooJoh

Man, I just got owned online and suddenly feel very inadequate :lol

The matches were something like
2-3
0-7
1-4

And the guy I was playing against had a record of 0 wins, 3 drops, and 13 total.

Guess I need practice ;)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm a bit disappointed that Metroid Prime Hunters's really nice online components and features didn't make it into SFC... I wonder why, though? MPH allows you to see which friends are online, set up a match for friends, do voice chat in between battles... it's a great system. SFC seems to be reusing Mario Kart's online components.

I wonder if it was an intentional design choice by Nintendo, or whether they didn't have the time (?) to add in the online functionality developed by NST.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
2nd playthrough:

What the hell is up with all those damn missiles? You can't even shoot them down with the Great Fox, which would make them a lot easier to stomach.

And :lol at all the furry soap opera love triangle shit.

DavidDayton said:
I'm a bit disappointed that Metroid Prime Hunters's really nice online components and features didn't make it into SFC... I wonder why, though? MPH allows you to see which friends are online, set up a match for friends, do voice chat in between battles... it's a great system. SFC seems to be reusing Mario Kart's online components.

I wonder if it was an intentional design choice by Nintendo, or whether they didn't have the time (?) to add in the online functionality developed by NST.

I wonder if the Japanese design teams even know about NST's online developments.

Remember when Iwata said he didn't know what features XBox Live had?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Christian said:
It doesn't rely on rote memorization quite as much as DJ MAX! 3/5! Your site's reviews are awful, dude.

...One is a PSP rythm game, the other is a DS dogfight game. AND they were reviewed by different people. Come on :)

Mejilan

Yeah, the dialogue is hysterical. There are plenty of moments of genuine humor, and they're picking up now that Falco's on board!

Xristot

alright, I'm on my third playthrough. I'm really liking the different story elements and its really the driving force of me playing through again. The gameplay isn''t getting stale, if that stands for anything and the enemies seem to be harder on the third runthrough. Not by much but definetly harder.

Mejilan

Just beat the game and got the first ending. Holy shit at the betrayal! Hahahah.

Surprisingly tough game, at times... though I finished with 9 extra lives!

Time to add everyone on Demi's SFC index, and then, another campaign run-through!

Mejilan

Oh hey! I think that when you're going through the beacons to take out a mothership, that you have infinite boost/move power! I initiated the barrel roll before passing the first beacon, and I made it all the way to the end without the meter ever depleting. I didn't know this. Cool.

Edit - Yep, each beacon definitely fully refills your boost meter. Rock.

Edit 2 - Man, maybe it's just me, but the very first map of my second campaign run was already quite different than the initial romp!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I see that the Wi-Fi connection is still pretty crappy in finding 4 players for a match.

Add me for some free kills:
030 793 531 292

Top Bottom