• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - $36 at Amazon (Do a Bomba roll, Fox!)

I'd actually jump on it for that price if I wasn't broke as hell and pinching pennies to fund my next game. Bummed I've not been able to get Star Fox yet.

You know you want to match it Best Buy.

Well they readily price match Amazon, so if you give them a call you can get that deal. That being said, they won't also apply your GCU discount when price matching. If that was your point, then I'm in the same boat. Drop it to at least $39.99 so I can use my GCU discount!

Wouldn't be worth it for half that price.

Ignore this post. Zero is my new favorite in the series. Admittedly not much competition for the high bar, but yeah. It's quite good and the controls aren't nearly as hard to grasp as the modern brain-dead games journo would have you believe. Absolute steal at this price.

I haven't even touched Guard yet, I'm still playing Zero.

maxcriden

Thanks, tempted.

What's the word on guard?

Just started it last night, quoting myself:

This game is really fun. We started it last night. One of us is holding the Gamepad and aiming and shooting, and the other is tapping cameras. Is there a more seamless way to do this? It works as is, just wasn't sure if other control schemes are supported. Regardless, it's a lot of fun. We've done maybe 7 missions now? 100 missions seems like a good amount of content for a game like this.

Re:Bot is adorable, BTW.

And here's the OT:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1210394

Haven't played SFZ, but Guard reviewed better than Zero:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1209814

OpenCritic is sitting at 73 for Guard and 69 for Zero.

Good if on the easy side. The online metagame is fun.

We already were finding the opening levels tricky, lol. I guess it depends on the player. I was surprised how frenetic even the opening levels are.

maxcriden

Well they readily price match Amazon, so if you give them a call you can get that deal. That being said, they won't also apply your GCU discount when price matching. If that was your point, then I'm in the same boat. Drop it to at least $39.99 so I can use my GCU discount!

It's already below $39.99, though -- wouldn't you be able to use a BB price match & GCU on this as it currently stands?

Regiruler

The box art for the double pack is nice: the background wraps around the sides of the box. Shame the little banner is so annoying.
We already were finding the opening levels tricky, lol. I guess it depends on the player. I was surprised how frenetic even the opening levels are.

You adjust faster than the difficulty curves, so it's really noticeable in titania (I was on the verge of quitting there when there wasn't an actual boss battle). Zoness is a little better about this and the boss there is just right. However it gets easier again.
Can I just get Zero for 35?

How dismissive.

Ignore this post. Zero is my new favorite in the series. Admittedly not much competition for the high bar, but yeah. It's quite good and the controls aren't nearly as hard to grasp as the modern brain-dead games journo would have you believe. Absolute steal at this price.

I haven't even touched Guard yet, I'm still playing Zero.
Ignore this post. Zero's controls are amongst the most misguided in modern gaming history. The core concept is absolutely flawed, forcing the user to choose between focusing on the TV (giving up the ability to accurately aim), or focusing on the gamepad (and flying blind). Not to mention the aforementioned motion controls are so broken, having to recalibrate them is dedicated to a face button.
Even if the game played properly, the experience is a bland reread of Star Fox 64 that refuses to do anything interesting with the format. You'll suffer through the game in an afternoon, and leave yourself with the horrifying prospect of trying to perfect these stages with a control layout that fights your every step.
Star Fox Zero is an abysmal game.

Ignore this post. Zero's controls are amongst the most misguided in modern gaming history. The core concept is absolutely flawed, forcing the user to choose between focusing on the TV (giving up the ability to accurately aim), or focusing on the gamepad (and flying blind). Not to mention the aforementioned motion controls are so broken, having to recalibrate them is dedicated to a face button.
Even if the game played properly, the experience is a bland reread of Star Fox 64 that refuses to do anything interesting with the format. You'll suffer through the game in an afternoon, and leave yourself with the horrifying prospect of trying to perfect these stages with a control layout that fights your every step.
Star Fox Zero is an abysmal game.

Ignore this post. Zero's controls allow for an extremely high level of accuracy and more importantly they make simply moving fun. Only someone who watched the first 2 minutes of Coneria would call this game a retread of Star Fox 64 as the level design is completely different as are the majority of the locations.

I expect this game will get cheaper before too long. I wish it had done something to move the overall story forward. I watched an LP and it just seems to be a retelling of Star Fox 64.

maxcriden

You adjust faster than the difficulty curves, so it's really noticeable in titania (I was on the verge of quitting there when there wasn't an actual boss battle). Zoness is a little better about this and the boss there is just right. However it gets easier again.

Ah, now that you mention it I think I did hear something like that from other players also. Thank you. Well, I'm looking forward to seeing how the game shakes out as we keep playing it. :)

Grab this if you're interested, because I don't think the physical copy of Guard will be included forever (see: Bayonetta 1 & 2 pack). I think Zero will be one of those games people come around to a couple years after release. There's a lot to like if you're willing to be open-minded about the controls.

wrowa

The game's okay. I think charging 30$ for Zero would be fair.

The controls aren't terrible, but they need a lot of time to really grow into. It wasn't until I defeated the last boss that I finally got the feeling that I understood how to use everything correctly. They can feel rather rewarding then, but even though Star Fox is a game you're supposed to play several times, I just don't think that an arcade-y game like this should be something that you don't fully understand from minute 1.

There's also nothing original about the game's setting or story. It's just a retreat of the past. Gameplay-wise it's better than most Starfox games (... which doesn't really mean all that much), but it's so painfully unambitious it hurts.

So want,
Guys anyone know if this game can be played with a pro controller or more like that wii classic controller ( I dont know the name) the one that looks like a super nes pad with two analog sticks? (that one)

Bluth54

Ignore this post. Zero's controls allow for an extremely high level of accuracy and more importantly they make simply moving fun. Only someone who watched the first 2 minutes of Coneria would call this game a retread of Star Fox 64 as the level design is completely different as are the majority of the locations.

No one should ignore that post since it's 100% correct. Star Fox Zero is by far the worst game I've played this year and if I could refund it I would.

Grab this if you're interested, because I don't think the physical copy of Guard will be included forever (see: Bayonetta 1 & 2 pack).

Bayonetta actually sold out it's initial allocation before they rereleased it without Bayonetta 1. Also that rerelease was over a year later.

I highly doubt the same will happen with Zero.

Broritos

Star Fox Zero is the best Star Fox.

At that price, I think its worth the risk of trying it for yourself for those who are on the fence. Chances are you'll at least be able to get your money back on ebay or something if you end up not liking it.

Illucio

Banned
Nintendo games don't usually drop this much so close to its release. Nintendo must had over projected the games sales, so they probably aren't making any more copies and retailers are just trying to get rid of their copies.

So it will probably won't be too much longer until the game is off shelves.

But I still think it's going to drop to at least $30.

The longer we wait without buying the cheaper it will get.

SegaShack

Ok guys I understand some people want to defend this game. It isn't all terrible. In fact, the first two levels are great. But it is full of issues, not only the controls, but camera angles, and level designs. I wanted to love this game and it really makes me sad to say that this is one of the worst first party Nintendo games ever made.

I love the Star Fox series but this is easily the worst one and it is not very fun either. Guard is great though.

No one should ignore that post since it's 100% correct. Star Fox Zero is by far the worst game I've played this year and if I could refund it I would.

If anything this thread is just showing how divisive the game is. I recommend everyone ignores all criticism, positive or negative and just try the game if it looks at all appealing to you. You might love it or hate it. Next to Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pokken, Uncharted 4 and Overwatch I think its one of the best games of the year.

Namikaze

I'm probably about halfway through the game and really enjoy it. The controls are definitely a bit clunky but I guess it's just nice to have more Star Fox again. Hopefully the NX gets an even better Star Fox experience

It might be worth that price for a given person.

But fuck man. The fact that I can't for certain say "hey if you liked SF64, then this is for you!" is just blah

AdanVC

Yeah even here on Mexico the game was on sale at $750 pesos (around 40 dollars) few weeks ago and still didn't purchase it : / I just cannot stand motion heavy controls anymore. If there was an option to play the game entirely with the Pro Controller I would have bite.

I don't mean to insist the game is a remake of 64. Sure, you'll visit new locations. But you're largely doing the same shallow corridor shooting as 64, now with a more frustrating sense of movement. When the game does move into uncharted territory, it falls apart - since aforementioned controls aren't designed to handle 360 degree combat. Not to mention the unacceptable length of the campaign.

Regiruler

What is Guard, exactly?

I know nothing about it.

Player-controlled tower defense game. You control 1 camera at a time via basic stick aiming and any button to shoot, and you can see all cameras simultaneously in addition via 15fps feeds. Overhead with radar is on gamepad and you tap to swap cameras.

It's primarily designed to test your ability to parse events from multiple sources at once, but honestly it gets easy once you look at the radar frequently.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Worth it at this price. Still hugely disappointed in the controls if not merely because of the thought of how good this would be with traditional control schemes.

Hard

Banned

Ignore this post.

You know why ?

Because that's the bottom line, and STONE COLD SAID SO

*BREAKING GLASS*

DUN-DUN DUN-DUN DUN-DUN BWOOOOOOOOOOW

stone-cold-beer.gif

Neiteio

It might be worth that price for a given person.

But fuck man. The fact that I can't for certain say "hey if you liked SF64, then this is for you!" is just blah
Yeah, it's hard to recommend Zero with confidence. It really just depends on how the person is wired.

I absolutely loved the game, thinking it's the best-playing Star Fox by far. But others don't find it intuitive at all. The only way to find out if someone likes it is to try it. Even then it might take a while for it to click. For me it took 10 minutes, for others it might take 10 hours, and for others still, it might not click at all.

It's a great game, but it's not for everyone. Similar to how fighting games with command inputs or survival horror games with tank controls aren't for everyone.

Still, at that price, it might be worth experimenting.

Top Bottom