• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - $36 at Amazon (Do a Bomba roll, Fox!)

brinstar

I played this at a friend's house and I really liked it, but I still wouldn't say it's fair to recommend ignoring any dissenting opinion. The controls really are super divisive and while I was fine with them for example my friend totally hated the game.

There should've been a demo but that probably would've also turned people off, lol.

Regiruler

I played this at a friend's house and I really liked it, but I still wouldn't say it's fair to recommend ignoring any dissenting opinion. The controls really are super divisive and while I was fine with them for example my friend totally hated the game.

There should've been a demo but that probably would've also turned people off, lol.

The problem with a demo is that the game gets better with experience, and does not give first impressions well. Wonderful 101 was similar in that regard.

Guard should get a public demo though since that's really not hard to learn.

Neiteio

Zero is really the first Star Fox I find truly engaging. Being able to fly in separate direction from where you're shooting — i.e. fire at any enemy one way, while dodging an obstacle another way — just opens up the game in amazing ways. You can even shoot targets that have flown past you or that are parallel to you, which eliminates a point of frustration I had with SF64 where I couldn't shoot everything once it passed me.

The dogfights are also a lot more intense now. You can track your enemy's position with the cinematic cam, which allows the designers to make Star Wolf more evasive/aggressive. It really feels like you're in the trench run in Star Wars, banking hard by slamming both sticks left or right, lining up a shot in cockpit view. "I have you now!"

So yeah, I wound up really enjoying it. I expected to hate it going in, as people will recall from the pre-release threads, but it ended up winning me over.

21XX

Banned
Ignore this post. Zero is my new favorite in the series. Admittedly not much competition for the high bar, but yeah. It's quite good and the controls aren't nearly as hard to grasp as the modern brain-dead games journo would have you believe. Absolute steal at this price.

I haven't even touched Guard yet, I'm still playing Zero.

Woof. You're so h4rdc0r3, dude.

RiZ III

Thanks op! Picked it up. Definitely worth trying at that price. I played star fox 64 to death back in the day and haven't played any other star fox since. Looking forward to this.

KDC720

I know the game is divisive, but I'll give it a shot at that price. Being a Nintendo game, it's also probably the lowest it will be for awhile.

Ponn

Banned
This reminds me of Kid Icarus 3DS fiasco. I learned very quickly with that game to never trust the opinions of N-fans who will defend any crap controls put in a box even if it causes carpal tunnel.

maxcriden

Nintendo games don't usually drop this much so close to its release. Nintendo must had over projected the games sales, so they probably aren't making any more copies and retailers are just trying to get rid of their copies.

So it will probably won't be too much longer until the game is off shelves.

But I still think it's going to drop to at least $30.

The longer we wait without buying the cheaper it will get.

Agreed. But then once it's sold out, as always happens, it will become crazy pricy.

Wait a little more...

I'll wait for $20 tbh, they can keep the guard game too

let the price drop continue :D

See above. It might not get much lower before it starts getting hard to find, but it's tough to predict.

Kind of interested in this, 30 bucks or so seems right for both games. I live in Canada now, though. This is my Amazon.ca page for Star Fox Zero -

List Price: CDN$ 74.99
Price: CDN$ 74.89 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: CDN$ 0.10

Free shipping tho

Nesther

Thanks for the thread! Pretty good deal, I wanted that game in my Wii U collection.
Here's hoping Pokken will get a similar sale.

J@hranimo

Banned
Eh, the game is polarizing as hell so this was inevitable. Everyone that still has an open mind to the controls I'd say go for it. I enjoyed the game at full price.

Starfox Guard is good fun though.

Clearly, this is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of experience.

When this scenario happens I always go with the hate-it side and wait a little longer until the price goes down to the impulse-buying range (< $20.)
See above. It might not get much lower before it starts getting hard to find, but it's tough to predict.

If I somehow really really want to play this game in the future I would just buy it from the eshop.

Nintendo games don't usually go on sale, but they do sometimes on Black Friday and I'm willing to bet this is going to be around $25 then.

Regiruler

This reminds me of Kid Icarus 3DS fiasco. I learned very quickly with that game to never trust the opinions of N-fans who will defend any crap controls put in a box even if it causes carpal tunnel.

That's interesting, because with Kid Icarus Uprising I learned that the general press and public can let something as superficial and adaptable as controls get in the way when one of the greatest experiences of all time is staring them in the face.

Shame about the huge price drop but I feel rail shooters don't have room for big budget releases so the price drop makes sense. These games were always designed to be replayed over and over and some of the best ones made more sense as you replayed them over and over and learned the intricacies of their gameplay systems. Star Fox Zero is the Gunvalkyrie of the Wii U. If you understand that reference then you will understand what type of learning curve this game has.

I feel for the most part people just feel entitled after playing videogames for many years that they want/expect games to control a certain way and are unwilling to learn new methods despite how potentially amazing they can be.

It's unfortunate for those who have huge amount of trouble learning to adapt to the new control method this late in your life as they will be unable to experience one of the best singleplayer experiences to take advantage of the Wii U pad's screen.

That's interesting, because with Kid Icarus Uprising I learned that the general press and public can let something as superficial and adaptable as controls get in the way when one of the greatest experiences of all time is staring them in the face.
Kid Icarus had bad controls (the higher difficulties are unplayable), but it made up for it because of how good the story and writing were. The part when you can tell Uprising is something special is when you realize that what you thought was just a retread of the first game's story is actually just a prologue to the larger story. In Star Fox Zero, the even more direct retelling of the first game's story is actually just the whole game.

Kid Icarus had bad controls (the higher difficulties are unplayable), but it made up for it because of how good the story and writing were. The part when you can tell Uprising is something special is when you realize that what you thought was just a retread of the first game's story is actually just a prologue to the larger story. In Star Fox Zero, the even more direct retelling of the first game's story is actually just the whole game.

Kid Icarus had genuinely bad controls. It defeated the purpose of having a handheld game when you had to hold it a certain way that wasn't comfortable while being anywhere that didnt have a table

According to Keepa it looks like Amazon has been playing with the price for at least a week now.

yDdvQ1r.png

Looks like the price is on the way back up but who knows where it will end up.

Ponn

Banned

Yea, how dare people let something as superficial as controls for a game get in the way of enjoying it. pfft Get better, am I rite?

*rolleyes*

Beartruck

Ignore this post. Zero is my new favorite in the series. Admittedly not much competition for the high bar, but yeah. It's quite good and the controls aren't nearly as hard to grasp as the modern brain-dead games journo would have you believe. Absolute steal at this price.

I haven't even touched Guard yet, I'm still playing Zero.
Thank god, I thought I was the only one! Game is brilliant.

El Odio

Banned
Stockholm syndrome ladies and gentleman.
Can we please not start this stupid idea that anyone who enjoys this game is simply forcing themselves to like it again? I legitimately enjoy the game to the point that SF64 actually becomes a bit of a hassle to play through now. I realize its a polarizing game but its reception has become the only thing about it people seem to want to talk about here and is pretty much the main reason I dropped posting in the OT like a rock.

Regiruler

That's a fair assessment. I don't regard SFZ nearly as high as Uprising (although zero probably still cracks my top 20, personally).
Yea, how dare people let something as superficial as controls for a game get in the way of enjoying it. pfft Get better, am I rite?

*rolleyes*

Kid Icarus's controls are far more superficial than the ones in Zero (it's controls are incredibly simple once you get down to it, with a few garnishes that are usually not necessary). You can adjust. I was using the circle pad pro for the love of God almighty and people were struggling with the system by itself.

Zero is a more interesting learning curve and is more entwined with the spirit of the game. Learning the controls is the game's primary form of progression given that the campaign itself is so short.

It's fascinating, really. I've become enthralled with the black sheep titles, the oft-rejected. Just over the past week I was finishing up Wario Master of Disguise and the moment I booted up my old save I was having more fun than I ever did in Wario Land 4.

It's already below $39.99, though -- wouldn't you be able to use a BB price match & GCU on this as it currently stands?

I didn't word that correctly, my apologies. Best Buy's official policy is that you can either use GCU or price-match, but they won't do both. If you get someone to do both, you're just extremely lucky. I meant to say that I just want Best Buy to drop their own price to $39.99 so I can actually use GCU.

maxcriden

I didn't word that correctly, my apologies. Best Buy's official policy is that you can either use GCU or price-match, but they won't do both. If you get someone to do both, you're just extremely lucky. I meant to say that I just want Best Buy to drop their own price to $39.99 so I can actually use GCU.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. That way you could save even more than the Amazon listed price (which evidently is creeping up anyway). Thanks for the clarification, and certainly no apology necessary!

Lijik

I've been keeping an eye on this for the past 2 weeks and its been slowly dropping the entire time.

Missed it at 36, but if it drops below 40 again im jumping on it

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's a damn good deal. Jump on it (who knows how rare it will be considering the lateness of release).
*reads the negative posts* *sighs*

Tirod

Went ahead and nabbed it despite going back up to $40; will be a nice palette cleanser between sessions of TMS#FE.

Mechanically, zero is the best star fox. It also has some of the best stages in the entire star fox series.

At the same time, it's insanely low budget (in both presentation and content) and it requires you to learn from scratch how to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

Personally, I like the game quite a bit but I also never really struggled with the controls as much as some. Whenever I feel like playing star fox, this is the only one I'd consider worth booting up alongside 64 and the original.

SalvaPot

The game is fun and tickles my Nostalgia bone, I'll say its better than 64 in the variety of stages, but its hurt by the pacing, that 64 was just much better at and what made it so replayable.

If you have enjoyed Star Fox in any way or form, or just want to support Platinum Games, go for it, at worst you'll get two decent games, at best you might get your favorite in the franchise.

Also, a reminder that Star Fox 64 3D got to bomba levels early on to then get extremely hard to find, Nintendo can be weird with restocks.

Ignore this post. Zero's controls are amongst the most misguided in modern gaming history. The core concept is absolutely flawed, forcing the user to choose between focusing on the TV (giving up the ability to accurately aim), or focusing on the gamepad (and flying blind). Not to mention the aforementioned motion controls are so broken, having to recalibrate them is dedicated to a face button.
Even if the game played properly, the experience is a bland reread of Star Fox 64 that refuses to do anything interesting with the format. You'll suffer through the game in an afternoon, and leave yourself with the horrifying prospect of trying to perfect these stages with a control layout that fights your every step.
Star Fox Zero is an abysmal game.

Wouldn't say it's an abysmal game but a lot of this is very valid unfortunately

For me, the game gets by pretty much on nostalgia and charm...

Tayaya

Those who haven't, get it now. Zero is my favourite game in the series and Guard is a clever distraction.

I have to agree. It's a shame that the learning curve for the controls left such a bad taste in the mouths of so many reviewers, because like you it's easily my favorite Starfox game. The arwing is so agile an responsive with the twin stick controls, and aiming with the controller becomes second nature after a few levels.

As a reboot of Starfox 64, it was a bold move to screw with the one game people have felt was the best one of its kind for years, but they handled it very capably and give nods to the old game that make me smile. Also the end credits made me cry a little, but not for anything related to Starfox in particular.

Also, the Co-op where one player is the gunner was a brilliant add-on that they didn't need to do, but the game is super fun that way!

Top Bottom