• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 2 Re-Release For Vita

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Give it to me now.

Seriously, this is the best game of all time. PLEASE be true.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
If they are really remaking SO2, I hope they do a better job than the terrible psp port. Can't believe they added the 3-hit combo which basically broke the game and made the mages even more useless than ever.

My thoughts exactly. Also I hope they put in more interesting bonus characters besides Welch (who was really boring to play as and didn't add anything to the story either).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My thoughts exactly. Also I hope they put in more interesting bonus characters besides Welch (who was really boring to play as and didn't add anything to the story either).
And fix the horrid art style they went with in the remakes. The original SO2 had such distinctive art.

Clearly an anticipation to Star Ocean V developed by CyberConnect2.

It would have to be developed by someone else considering tri-Ace doesn't have the staff to make a big console game right now. They only have a little over 100 employees, and they've made a shit ton of smaller games the last couple of years, which doesn't give them any room to make a console RPG the size of Star Ocean 5.

Ultratech

SO2 on the PSP was an enhanced port.

It operates functionally on the same engine as the original game, they just added some more stuff and made it slightly better looking.

(Didn't care much for the art style change either.)

SO2 on the PSP was an enhanced port.

It operates functionally on the same engine as the original game, they just added some more stuff and made it slightly better looking.

(Didn't care much for the art style change either.)

They really didn't add anything other than Welch as a new character, and the AWFUL combo system.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
ppppppppppp poison pills!
PEAR INTO PEACHES!

Man for a few years Star Ocean 2 was an obsession. I wouldn't call it my favorite JRPG of all time, but it definitely had me coming back over and over to see everything it had to offer.

Mozendo

I'd rather have a Star Ocean reboot than Star Ocean 5, but iunno Star Ocean 3 was garbage and 4 had a nice combat, but was average at best.
Seems like Tri-Ace lost that charm that made Star Ocean stand out.

I did not like 2 much at all and think it's the worst out of the three SOs I've played.

SO1 had a intriguing story to me and I liked the 4 main characters.

SO4, despite a lot of annoying characters and scenes, grew on me a lot. The battle system was fun. It did away with the ridiculous relationship system of the previous games. I shouldn't have to settle for a mundane ending because I missed hidden, one time events throughout the game. It wasn't a "great" game to me but I still enjoyed myself.

SO2 just never grabbed me. I didn't like the story or the characters. The whole "man behind the curtain" was really horribly done.

SO2 was the last one I played and it turned me off to the series so much I've decided there are many more games deserving of my time.

Dsyndrome

Was always bummed that I never put forth the effort to beat Star Ocean 2 on PSX and never got the two PSP games before I lost the system. I'd buy rereleases off of PSN in a heartbeat for the Vita.

I didn't really thinks she looked 10

She didn't look 10 in the anime or the psp remake, either. Are you confusing her with Precis, who was 16? Or worse somehow, Leon who was 12?

I dunno, new art make her look like a kid to me

GYdqmVP.png

Yazuka

GYdqmVP.png

Ugh. I really don't like the new art. The old one was much better.
If this really is a remake, I hope they make her more inline with her original design and less "kiddy".

EDIT: And speaking of anime, I would have vastly preferred her looks from the Star Ocean EX anime over the new images from the PSP-version of the game.
Her face design just bothers me in the game. Probably since I really liked the original art, I have a hard time accepting the new one. But then again, she really doesn't look like a kind in the original or the anime.

PEAR INTO PEACHES!

Man for a few years Star Ocean 2 was an obsession. I wouldn't call it my favorite JRPG of all time, but it definitely had me coming back over and over to see everything it had to offer.

oh, the almighty
oh, the almighty
oh, the
oh, the
oh, oh, oh, oh, oh the almighty
oh, the almighty Tria! Overthrow all the enemies!

Parfait

GYdqmVP.png

She looks younger, but doesn't look 10 at all. More 15 than 17, but really.

I liked both art, the newer a bit more because it didn't have that fake 3d stuff that the old ones had.

The manga had the best designs, ofc.

oYs2ebP.jpg

CbssSV1.jpg

Yazuka

The manga had the best designs, ofc.

oYs2ebP.jpg

OH, indeed! I couldn't agree with you more on this if I tried. While I do prefer the old designs to the new ones, the manga has the best designs of all.
I would not mind them using that in a game. Will probably never happen.

Is this the best game in the series?
At least better than 4 right?
2 is the last game in the series. I don't know why people keep bringing up a 3 and a 4.
But out of the 2, Second Story is the best. It's honestly one of my favorites of all time. The crafting system, the huge world, the battle system, the difficulty (game is fuming HARD), the OST. All amazing. They don't make jrpgs like this anymore.

mrjohill

2 is the last game in the series. I don't know why people keep bringing up a 3 and a 4.
But out of the 2, Second Story is the best. It's honestly one of my favorites of all time. The crafting system, the huge world, the battle system, the difficulty (game is fuming HARD), the OST. All amazing. They don't make jrpgs like this anymore.

I really like 3 a whole bunch. 4 is garbage tho

18-Volt

Does this mean we're getting other SE PSP games digitally? Crisis Core, Birth By Sleep and Valkyria Profile Lenneth? If it does, I'd be very happy. I've been looking for a cheap copy of Lenneth for soooo long.

Is this the best game in the series?
At least better than 4 right?

Story, characters, and overall world is better than Star Ocean 4.

Star Ocean 4, however, possibly has the best real-time battle system of any JRPG.

People who hate on Star Ocean 4 always hate on it for its characters, while ignoring the fact that the gameplay is fucking amazing. It is far from garbage.

Story, characters, and overall world is better than Star Ocean 4.

Star Ocean 4, however, possibly has the best real-time battle system of any JRPG.

People who hate on Star Ocean 4 always hate on it for its characters, while ignoring the fact that the gameplay is fucking amazing. It is far from garbage.

Agreed, My 130 hours spent on this game was because the battles were so addicting.

Top Bottom