• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 2 Re-Release For Vita

KemoSabe

Didnt this one had this ridiculous amount of endings?
Like about 80?

Is there anyone who saw them all?
Sounds almost impossible, time wise...

Didnt this one had this ridiculous amount of endings?
Like about 80?

Is there anyone who saw them all?
Sounds almost impossible, time wise...

They weren't really different endings. You always had the same ending every time, but the "82 endings" were really just where the characters ended up after the story ended.

Agreed, My 130 hours spent on this game was because the battles were so addicting.

Yep. If the bonus dungeons were not so atrocious, I would have probably played it for as long as I did Star Ocean 2 and 3.

Parfait

Story, characters, and overall world is better than Star Ocean 4.

Star Ocean 4, however, possibly has the best real-time battle system of any JRPG.

People who hate on Star Ocean 4 always hate on it for its characters, while ignoring the fact that the gameplay is fucking amazing. It is far from garbage.

I really want Star Ocean 4 on steam because I wanted to get all the trophies in it (every last one), but my PS3 can't handle it anymore.

Ludist210

Star Ocean 4, however, possibly has the best real-time battle system of any JRPG.

People who hate on Star Ocean 4 always hate on it for its characters, while ignoring the fact that the gameplay is fucking amazing. It is far from garbage.
This. It's why I stuck with it until the Platinum trophy...900 battle trophies is a time-consuming process, but the battle system is still wonderful after 500 hours of play.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

This.

Honestly, SO4 International felt more of a JRPG than FFXIII when it released the same year (2010).

Fantastic, Ive been wanting more Star Ocean after Last Hope Intl, so I hope this means they are planning to continue the franshie with a fifth entry.

Will get SO 2 vita if it is true and comes out west here. I had the first one PSP but never made it to the second one.

Fantastic, Ive been wanting more Star Ocean after Last Hope Intl, so I hope this means they are planning to continue the franshie with a fifth entry.

Will get SO 2 vita if it is true and comes out west here. I had the first one PSP but never made it to the second one.

TOSE made SO2 worse, but their SO1 remake is really, really good. I hope tri-Ace gets to remake SO1 someday with all of the improvements they had originally planned when they planned on remaking it on PS2.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
TOSE made SO2 worse, but their SO1 remake is really, really good. I hope tri-Ace gets to remake SO1 someday with all of the improvements they had originally planned when they planned on remaking it on PS2.
Source? This is really interesting.

Xenus

I need this. And while I would love a full on remake. I'd also love a port of the PSP game cause that means SO1 and FF: Crisis Core might finally be playable on vita as well.

Shouta

SO1 First Departure is awful. It just makes it a SO2 clone without any uniqueness of its own. the SNES version is definitely the better version for SO1. I really hope they make it a real remake instead of a copypasta

SO1 First Departure is awful. It just makes it a SO2 clone without any uniqueness of its own. the SNES version is definitely the better version for SO1. I really hope they make it a real remake instead of a copypasta

SNES SO1 is an absolutely terrible, glitchy mess with a boring as shit battle system. Turning it into a Star Ocean 2 clone was the best decision they could have made.

And I can't find the article anywhere (it's really old at this point), but tri-Ace didn't like how Star Ocean 1 turned out on SNES, and wanted to remake it using the Star Ocean 3 engine, but Square-Enix axed the idea.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
SNES SO1 is an absolutely terrible, glitchy mess with a boring as shit battle system. Turning it into a Star Ocean 2 clone was the best decision they could have made.

And I can't find the article anywhere (it's really old at this point), but tri-Ace didn't like how Star Ocean 1 turned out on SNES, and wanted to remake it using the Star Ocean 3 engine, but Square-Enix axed the idea.

I would have been all over that!

Shouta

Glitchy, sure but boring? It's way better than the hack of SO2's system we got for FD. None of the skills transferred over in the conversion well enough to make it interesting at all. It's really damn pedestrian in every respect. If they had remade SO1 with SO3's combat and actually did the work to make it to fit better than sure but FD was copypasta in the worst way.

Links_fantasy

I would love all the Enix PS1, PSP and PS2 games on PSN as they are really hard to find. For some reason Square Enix only like putting up Squares back catalogue. Its not like their planning sequels to either the Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile series. I also really loved Radiata Stories on PS2.

Dark_castle

How was the Second Evolution worse than Second Story? I only know that they added a 3-hit combo for basic attacks.

mao2

The original Japanese news source is now running a correction that says they meant to write PS Originals edition and that they are sorry for getting anyone's hopes up who were expecting a Vita remake.
http://gamestalk.net/starocean2se/
No, that's incorrect. The latest update in the article says that the source text has been edited and it now clearly states that tri-Ace developed the original PS version (and not Vita version as was originally implied). Take a look at the link below, it still shows 対応機種:PlayStation(R)Vita ダウンロード版 発売日:未定, meaning that Vita version exists.
http://www.fezero.jp/collaboration/star_ocean_second/introduction/

Abylim

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan I'd love a trophy support version of this.
Probably my favorite all around SO, but I shamefully loved 3 and 4 =\

bomblord1

Banned
No, that's incorrect. The latest update in the article says that the source text has been edited and it now clearly states that tri-Ace developed the original PS version (and not Vita version as was originally implied). Take a look at the link below, it still shows 対応機種:PlayStation(R)Vita ダウンロード版 発売日:未定, meaning that Vita version exists.
Dont toy with my heart which is it.

Well according to the source - they are remaking Star Ocean 2.

Star Ocean 2 on the PSP was pretty much a direct port with a few changes.

Star Ocean 1 on PSP was a remake of Star Ocean 1. Both looked and sounded different.

So a remake of 2 is a good idea , but dayum, only Vita? :(.

Hopefully this leads to a remake of Star Ocean 3....with better assets lol.

New voice acting and a completely different last act for Star Ocean 3, but that's too much to ask for.

Holy shit yes. I haven't played it despite having bought it because it's on a UMD and I can't play it on my Vita.

edit: if this is indeed a remake, I hope they change yet again the character artwork and voices. They were super ugly in the remake. They lolified the main girl. It sickened me.

edit2:

The original Japanese news source is now running a correction that says they meant to write PS Originals edition and that they are sorry for getting anyone's hopes up who were expecting a Vita remake.
http://gamestalk.net/starocean2se/

WHICH IS IT ?!

(HEART BEATING FAST)

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
How was the Second Evolution worse than Second Story? I only know that they added a 3-hit combo for basic attacks.
The 3-hit combo kind of unbalanced the combat and made a bunch of the early abilities pointless. They also redesigned Rena to look Ike a 11 year old. And added voiced cutscenes which surprisingly detract from the experience. The voice acting isn't bad but the dialog is just really vapid and mind numbing in the first half of the game.

Tigress

Ok, before I even think about caring, is there a chance this would even be localized in the US?

Though I'm not sure if I want to play it *ducks as she says it*. I tried to play Star Ocean years ago when it came out all excited about the many different endings. I didn't get too far before I decided I really hated it. But.... that was so many years ago and I really didn't give it much of a chance (I can't remember why I got fed up with it) and I think I just wanted more FF at the time (I had just really discovered JRPGS with FFVII and maybe a few others). So, I really have no idea if I'd be the same way now.

bomblord1

Banned
The 3-hit combo kind of unbalanced the combat and made a bunch of the early abilities pointless. They also redesigned Rena to look Ike a 11 year old. And added voiced cutscenes which surprisingly detract from the experience. The voice acting isn't bad but the dialog is just really vapid and mind numbing in the first half of the game.

I haven't played the original to compare but second evolution was my favorite star ocean hands down and I liked the voices/character designs. Battle system was great too although a little simplistic.

Personally, I was tad bit surprised how much hate SO4 for its story and characters considering it is a star ocean game.....but then again I was also surprised so many people actually liked Star ocean 2 enough to say it is their top 5 kept.

Other than a few minor gripes, the 3 hit combo is the major reasons. It is absolutely atrocious. Like, it honestly ruined the entire battle system for me. Especially once you get the Eternal Sphere.

Anyways, I'm basically wondering if anyone has gotten any more news on this?

Trogdor1123

Could some one detail teh story for me in a non spoiler way? Ive always been interested in teh series but ne3ver played any of them due to time. I dont want to read anything else as it almsot always contains spoilers.

Thanks!

Top Bottom