• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 2 Re-Release For Vita

Rising_Hei

SO4 combat system was SO3's but dumbed down, not my opinion, it's a fact.

Anyone saying SO4 is the best? did you really play SO3 as well? because SO3 is the same but with more depth because you can use different kinds of attack (weak and strong), the only way to beat a guard was to use an strong attack but if the enemy starts attacking fast enough or if you don't time it well, you get counter attacked, SO4 removed this and it was just button mashing with some new featured i hated...

And let's not talk about the story and that most of the game is a big damn filler... or about the atriocious english dub which almost made me smash my 360

I absolutely loved SO3 more overall (yes, even that ending, i found it unique), the pace, gameplay and story were much better, followed by SO2, SO4 is the worst of the series

Could some one detail teh story for me in a non spoiler way? Ive always been interested in teh series but ne3ver played any of them due to time. I dont want to read anything else as it almsot always contains spoilers.

Thanks!

How are we supposed to summarise the story with no spoilers? Why does it even matter.

Boy-meets-girl on alien planet. Hijinks ensue.

I still would love to hear why SO2 and especially VP are impossible to legally get digitally. Valkyrie Profile in particular is a game that way more people need to experience. If the PSX or PSP versions were released on the Vita, it would be a great day for JRPG fans. Especially if those games are actually fully owned by Square Enix. Are we sure there's no sniffings of legal bindings somewhere that could have resulted in no releases? I'd rather it be that then S-E just not caring, even though this wouldn't surprise me.

Dsyndrome

Anybody able to translate the text on the collaboration page? Tried to google translate, but the stupid thing's a PNG file and not selectable.

Too bad... No one should've gotten their hopes up, SE has already shown to give zero fucks about the Vita.

SO3 was great until near the end... Is till have my copy of SO2, I should play it again some time.

rbenchley

Too bad... No one should've gotten their hopes up, SE has already shown to give zero fucks about the Vita.

SO3 was great until near the end... Is till have my copy of SO2, I should play it again some time.

Star Ocean 3 is great through the end and beyond and is a better game than 2. The graphics are better, the music is better, they got rid of random encounters, battles are faster and more fluid and party based action rpgs generally work better in 3D than 2D (I do prefer the battle system of the original Valkyrie Profile to the second one). Some people really dislike the Matrix like aspect to 3's story, but it didn't bother me in the least. The cast and story were okay and neither better nor worse than the cast and story from the first two games. Unfortunately, I have to agree with the complaints about The Last Hope. The battle system is good as could be predicted and it looks nice enough, but everything else is a disappointment.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

SaGa 2015 was announced for Vita

Boss Mog

So has there been any more info on this? Is it for real?

The PSP version of SO 2 was ok but they destroyed the ending music "We form in crystals" and put instead a terrible J-Pop song...

That song is good and SCANDAL are awesome and by far my favorite Japanese band for many reasons and this song was kind of a nice break for them since they released their major-label debut a few months later.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This thread confuses me every time it comes up in my subscribed threads. I'm like "It was announced!?" "Oh yeah we don't know anything yet....."

LProtag

Wait what? This would be awesome if true.

Star Ocean 2 is one of my favorite games. One of the first RPGs I beat as a kid.

Dice//

Banned
SO4 combat system was SO3's but dumbed down, not my opinion, it's a fact.

Anyone saying SO4 is the best? did you really play SO3 as well? because SO3 is the same but with more depth because you can use different kinds of attack (weak and strong), the only way to beat a guard was to use an strong attack but if the enemy starts attacking fast enough or if you don't time it well, you get counter attacked, SO4 removed this and it was just button mashing with some new featured i hated...

And let's not talk about the story and that most of the game is a big damn filler... or about the atriocious english dub which almost made me smash my 360

I absolutely loved SO3 more overall (yes, even that ending, i found it unique), the pace, gameplay and story were much better, followed by SO2, SO4 is the worst of the series

I think SO4 is actually a much more refined experience (unfortunately marred by some of the worst characters and plot ever in a JRPG...). The battle is dumb-down but feels excellent and has much tighter controls.

Probably the major thing that prevents me from replaying SO3 more is because its pacing IS actually quite terrible. The game on more than one occasion makes you pass through 2 or three dungeons...in a row! This is made worse by some of the maze-like layouts they have (dear god that training facility is just awful and you gotta pass through it more than once; same goes for the Shrine of Kaddan and the stupid block maze). I agree that SO3 is a way better 'veteran player' sort of experience, but they really don't make the game easy to love it at times.

Anyways, great news in whatever make or form. Remake, port, whatever. This is DAMN exciting news. :D

hTNUga4.gif

Illucio

Banned
One of my favorite PS1 games, and it's the game that really got me into JRPGS, Final Fantasy, and anime.

The 2nd game was the first one I played, and has a special place in my heart. I'm all in for a remake, especially if they use graphics similar or even better then Braverly Default. And if they could tap in and make something like Till The End of Time PS2 era graphics or something like Freedom Wars, that would be completely amazing.

I just don't want to see the 16/32 bit look thing anymore, we have evolved well past that and the newer games really transitioned well into 3D.

Still waiting on news of a Till The End of Time remake/remaster.

theofficefan99

I'd be willing to buy a Vita just to support the Star Ocean series.

I want a Star Ocean 5 on consoles (but with good writing... please).

Dice//

Banned

I've said it before and I've said it again: I'd give up a nipple for something based EXACTLY off their tech demo...

I dunno, new art make her look like a kid to me

GYdqmVP.png

I loved her more oldschool tomboy look. She looks like an annoying, young waif in the PSP artwork whereas her PSX artwork made her look.... i dunno, 'capable'. And yeah, I'm with ya, she looks 10.... Then again, anime's ability to depict age, aging, or elderly in general is usually met with dubious results without looking a bit weird (like these two being mother and daughter and looking damn near the same).

Boss Mog

Yeah I did a Square-Enix survey not too long ago (not the Episode Duscae one, but one a little before that one) and one of the questions was "Which is your favorite SE series?" and I had no problems putting Star Ocean. I would love a Star Ocean 5 on any platform
(that I already own :p)
I think I'm finally done with FF. FFXI is ending in November and here hasn't been any good mainline FF games since FFXII in my eyes. Episode Duscae was pretty awful I thought on so many fronts but mostly the "action combat" which was to me light years away from the real time combat found in JRPGs like Star Ocean 4 or Tales of Graces f.

Zetta

Well I've always been up on the fence on buying a vita but if this comes out on it I will buy it right away.

So assume this is going to be partly to build up hype for SO5, do we have any news on whether it's a port of the PSP version or an actual remake? I could happily go for either, but some news would be appreciated.

They could always port SO3 as a PS2 classic while they're at it.

eFKac

So assume this is going to be partly to build up hype for SO5, do we have any news on whether it's a port of the PSP version or an actual remake? I could happily go for either, but some news would be appreciated.

They could always port SO3 as a PS2 classic while they're at it.

I could understand Shizuka's bump, but what the fuck is up with this one?

Square Enix doesn't do PS2 classics. They have released zero. They have also released zero games on Wii U and 3DS eShops, at least in North America, and haven't released a PS1 classic in over 3 years.

Hmmm, that's a good point. I mean heck, they remastered both FFX and Type-0 rather than just port them.

I could understand Shizuka's bump, but what the fuck is up with this one?

I was just checking to see if anyone had any new info.

Lnds500

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/09/19/star-ocean-second-evolution-coming-to-playstation-4-vita/

Its been listed on multiple sites as of a few days ago. Its happening....as a port of the PSP version onto PS4 and Vita. I'm okay with that my psp died a year ago and I've been itching to play again, so to be able to do so on my big screen will be great.

We have another thread about this release.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1113488

Anyway, I am interested in playing this since I've wanted to get in the series for a long time, but I am not too cray how this is shaping up.

Top Bottom