• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront is current-gen only (PS4/XBO/PC)

Didn't know the Battlefield series had Melee characters and Third Person.

Just incase you don't know what Battlefront is People https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-_6QUIaBSk that is Battlefront very different to Battlefield.

I've put thousands of hours into the online of Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the PS2 and I also played Battlefield 2: Modern Combat at the same time. Aside from using third person in SWBF2 the games played pretty much the same. The only big difference was that until recently Battlefield didn't have interior-only maps like a few of the SWBF2 maps were.

Heroes, third person option, and rolling wasn't enough to significantly distinguish Battlefront from Battlefield. Pandemic flat out stated they wanted to make a Star Wars Battlefield game before the release of the first game. The series going to DICE is a homecoming in a way and will be more true to the original vision of Pandemic.

Many people who have memories of SWBF never played them online or never played the contemporary Battlefield titles (1942, Vietnam, 2/MC) so how could you really know if or not Battlefront was just a Star Wars flavored Battlefield? You are trying to compare the original Battlefronts to the modern Battlefields.

I expect the new Battlefront to similarly evolve. I want it to be "just a reskin of Battlefield" because that is what the first two games were.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I've put thousands of hours into the online of Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the PS2 and I also played Battlefield 2: Modern Combat at the same time. Aside from using third person in SWBF2 the games played pretty much the same. The only big difference was that until recently Battlefield didn't have interior-only maps like a few of the SWBF2 maps were.

Heroes, third person option, and rolling wasn't enough to significantly distinguish Battlefront from Battlefield. Pandemic flat out stated they wanted to make a Star Wars Battlefield game before the release of the first game. The series going to DICE is a homecoming in a way and will be more true to the original vision of Pandemic.

Many people who have memories of SWBF never played them online or never played the contemporary Battlefield titles (1942, Vietnam, 2/MC) so how could you really know if or not Battlefront was just a Star Wars flavored Battlefield? You are trying to compare the original Battlefronts to the modern Battlefields.

I expect the new Battlefront to similarly evolve. I want it to be "just a reskin of Battlefield" because that is what the first two games were.

I'd agree with all this, nowadays people act like Battlefront was some kind of unique game. It really wasn't, even though it was absolutely fantastic.

JMZ555

only thing i didnt like in battlefront was x-wings etc didnt have enough map space sometimes to pick up speed . Felt like you was just gliding around in small circles

Not shocking considering how the released footage looks, but it's nice to have a confirmation

6BVr3cY.png

Source (EA's official Twitter)

Best news about the game, so far :)

a916

I'm really excited to see what DICE does about Heroes and how they'll tackle lightsaber battles.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Battlefront was always Star Wars battlefield. DICE making the next entry in the series is very fitting.

KHlover

Banned
I'm really excited to see what DICE does about Heroes and how they'll tackle lightsaber battles.

Should just straight up import the Jedi Knight Outcast/Academy source code for this and call it a day. Can't get better than perfect :p

KePoW

Banned
I have no problem if it turns out to be Star Wars Battlefield. In fact, that's actually what I would want (as long as the release is polished & not buggy)

I'm already going to laugh at the salt of those who think that Battlefront should not be like Battlefield for some reason

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I'd be fine if they didn't bother with them at all. Save the Lightsaber battles for Jedi Knight 3 :)

Green Yoshi

Frostbite 3 sucks on Xbox 360, so this isn't a big surprise.

I hope that there will be another Star Wars game for 360/PS3/WiiU owners. Perhaps Star Wars: Episode VII.

RoKKeR

Great post, agree completely and DICE making Battlefront is a dream come true. Let's hope they can deliver.

Markitron

Frostbite 3 sucks on Xbox 360, so this isn't a big surprise.

I hope that there will be another Star Wars game for 360/PS3/WiiU owners. Perhaps Star Wars: Episode VII.

It's very strange that the longest console generation ever only received 2 full Star Wars games, Force Unleashed 1&2. Star Wars Kinect obviously doesn't count.

Markitron

LucasArts didn't care

They were so badly managed, they didn't know their arses from their elbows. They couldn't even outsource a game, which had worked so well for them the previous generation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Didn't know the Battlefield series had Melee characters and Third Person.

Just incase you don't know what Battlefront is People https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-_6QUIaBSk that is Battlefront very different to Battlefield.

I really don't see how third person mode in this is much different to dedicated first person. It's close to the character and the aim is directly locked with camera movement and there is very little in the way of added traversal and movement that would benefit third person. Obviously vehicles and heroes are a different matter but for the standard grunts first person would be completely fine. For games like this, I think I would prefer a focus on first person since that's what DICE excels at.

I really don't see how third person mode in this is much different to dedicated first person. It's close to the character and the aim is directly locked with camera movement and there is very little in the way of added traversal and movement that would benefit third person. Obviously vehicles and heroes are a different matter but for the standard grunts first person would be completely fine. For games like this, I think I would prefer a focus on first person since that's what DICE excels at.

And people always forget the Battlefront games actually had a first person option on both consoles and PC. On PC FPS mode was the default IIRC. Third person was never a huge core part of battlefront for normal soldiers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Same, I really dislike having to use a web browser to look for servers... just have an ingame server browser, I don't care whatever else they use battlelog for.
DICE's in game browsers are horrifically bad. Battlelog is the best they've ever done.

Demon Ice

Banned
only thing i didnt like in battlefront was x-wings etc didnt have enough map space sometimes to pick up speed . Felt like you was just gliding around in small circles

I feel like that's a necessary concession to allow vehicles like X-wings to be involved in the same battles as infantry. The fighter jets in BF2-4 had to travel at a fraction of their actual speeds in those games too, otherwise they would have cleared the entire map and been out of bounds in a second.

Tovarisc

Probably not. I expect lots of blasters and lightsabers, but no blood and gibbing. It will be fine.

Same time Battlefield 4 got M -rating from ESRB.

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language

Other: Includes online features that may expose players to unrated user-generated content (Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)

2thepoint

Does anyone think that the conceptual footage, or ''in-engine'', or whatever released at E3 2013 will match actual gameplay since it's current gen only?

download-1.jpg

That footage looked way too good to be true.

But, I still wait in hope.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does anyone think that the conceptual footage, or ''in-engine'', or whatever released at E3 2013 will match actual gameplay since it's current gen only?

download-1.jpg

Even if we assume it's a 30 FPS game it's probably pretty unlikely.

I would not be okay with 30fps, at least for multiplayer. If they want to make singleplayer 30fps to pump up the graphics, that is okay. But I'd rather the game look no better than fricking Battlefield 4 to keep ~60fps in multiplayer.

IKizzLE

download-1.jpg

Absolutely not.
Might as well burn that image with fire in order to not be disappointed when its revealed.

I just hope the game has third person view.

i hope so as well. Battlefront was never a competitive series, it was nothing more than a fun arcade shooter full of fan service. i really dont want Dice to try and make it a competitive shooter when there are plenty of shooters that are that. hopefully Dice has made Battlefront an arcade shooter and keeping 3rd person and 1st person would allow for it to not get to wrapped up in the balancing act that competitive shooters strive for. i dont mind if the game is a bit unbalanced, as long as the core gameplay is solid and fun.

a916

download-1.jpg

No.

"In-engine footage" isn't the same as gameplay footage. Getting all your mechanics/systems/processes in the game really eat away at your budget (memory/performance budget).

I bet they used something like this to be like "okay this is the look we're aiming for, the bar we're aiming to hit" and they'll try their best to hit it.

Top Bottom