• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront is current-gen only (PS4/XBO/PC)

CryptiK

BF3 and BF4 prove you wrong, as does Dragon Age Inquisition. BFH was just a disappointment graphically because it looks a little worse than BF4, but there's still some good looking parts in the game.
Who cares about graphics having a game that actually works in its premier mode comes over graphics any day and the Frostbite engine is not something that does multiplayer games well.

robotrock

Banned
Who cares about graphics having a game that actually works in its premier mode comes over graphics any day and the Frostbite engine is not something that does multiplayer games well.

I thought Hardline was supposed to be pretty stable compared to the early months of Battlefield 4.

McHuj

I thought Hardline was supposed to be pretty stable compared to the early months of Battlefield 4.

It is. Works really well. Had BF4 been delayed to spring of 2013, there wouldn't be this stigma anymore.

At this point, both BF4 an Hardline play really well online. Only trolls like to perpetuate the broken online myth

Majanew

Banned

BF4 had server issues causing lag/rubberbanding, which have been ironed out for a long time now -- that was from rushing for PS4/XB1 launch and developing on 5 platforms. Frostbite 3 is doing some impressive things in BF4's mp, and it runs at 1600x900 (PS4) / 40-60fps on top of it.

And Frostbite 1 & 2 did pretty damn well on old 360/PS3 hardware with BF3, BC1, BC2, so I'm not really sure where you're pulling Frostbite doesn't do mp games well. It's DICE seemingly needing more time, but EA needs its releases.

Have you played any of these games? Honest question.

Klossen

Banned
I wonder if they are still going to try pushing for 60fps in this one.

I think they will. It's quite a jarring transition going from 60 fps to 30. Seems like DICE wants to establish a 60 fps gen for itself. They could've shipped BF4 in 30 fps for PS4 and nobody would've protested.

FourMyle

Very good. I'm not even a fan of any of the Star Wars movies but I loved Battlefront II on my ps2. I hope this game is good and the online isn't broken.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think they will. It's quite a jarring transition going from 60 fps to 30. Seems like DICE wants to establish a 60 fps gen for itself. They could've shipped BF4 in 30 fps for PS4 and nobody would've protested.

If they can get 900/60 with good fidelity and much better AA than the past two BF games I'll be pleased.

900/60 and 1080/30 are my expectations on PS4 for most of this gen (outside of Ubi).

By biggest hope is that by some miracle DICE actually manages to make a good campaign for this.

CryptiK

BF4 had server issues causing lag/rubberbanding, which have been ironed out for a long time now -- that was from rushing for PS4/XB1 launch and developing on 5 platforms. Frostbite 3 is doing some impressive things in BF4's mp, and it runs at 1600x900 (PS4) / 40-60fps on top of it.

And Frostbite 1 & 2 did pretty damn well on old 360/PS3 hardware with BF3, BC1, BC2, so I'm not really sure where you're pulling Frostbite doesn't do mp games well. It's DICE seemingly needing more time, but EA needs its releases.

Have you played any of these games? Honest question.
Probably because you don't understand the issues behind the "netcode". And why the still havent been able to fix it. The engine is really bad for a consistent multiplayer experience.

How do you guys expect battlefront to look gameplay wise? Similar to the originals or more like a battlefield game but with Star Wars guns, characters and vehicles?
Combination of the two, obviously. The guy above is kinda right, but at the same time, kinda not.

Star Wars BF2's objectives were mostly "capture point"
"Defend x for x minutes"
"Kill x indigenous species"

I guess the first two are pretty Battlefield.

Tubie

BFH has performed almost flawlessly for me from day 1.

BFH looks a bit worse than BF4, but it performs much better. The netcode and and gunplay in general are amazing in Hardline, so I don't mind the lower graphics.

So no, I don't think Frostbite is bad for multiplayer games at all. BF4 was simply rushed and the engine with it as well.

Combination of the two, obviously. The guy above is kinda right, but at the same time, kinda not.

My thoughts as well. Battlefront took after Battlefield, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see Battlefront to continue that once again, especially under DICE.

There will be an xp system likely, but hopefully it's just for better shields for vehicles and such, not wacky weapon attachments or locking out classes. I would like some customization for some of the classes. So Imperial scouts can still look like they always have and have a set pool of abilities, but maybe minor cosmetic stuff (camo netting, decals) and be able to switch some weapons.

However, I think Galactic Conquest and some other Battlefront staples will make a return.

CryptiK

BFH has performed almost flawlessly for me from day 1.

BFH looks a bit worse than BF4, but it performs much better. The netcode and and gunplay in general are amazing in Hardline, so I don't mind the lower graphics.

So no, I don't think Frostbite is bad for multiplayer games at all. BF4 was simply rushed and the engine with it as well.
Battlfield has the issue of instant deaths due to doubling bullets in packets. It also has the most horrible rego issues that NO have not been fixed in Hardline. While Hardline has had a stable launch it still has the telltale signs of the frostbite issues. The main issue is they try and simulate to much shit on the server side( Debris, destruction and waves) that it puts strain on what actually matters which is bullets and movement. This is why it came out at only a 10 tick update rate and was later updated to a measly 30 tick. This is extremely bad for a shooter.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Didn't know the Battlefield series had Melee characters and Third Person.

Just incase you don't know what Battlefront is People https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-_6QUIaBSk that is Battlefront very different to Battlefield.

It should be noted that the vast majority of people who played Battlefront on PC stayed in first person mode (aside from vehicles). It was also very much the preference of the QA guys as well when we worked on the first 2 games.

CryptiK

It should be noted that the vast majority of people who played Battlefront on PC stayed in first person mode (aside from vehicles). It was also very much the preference of the QA guys as well when we worked on the first 2 games.

All I'm saying is it isn't just Battlefield. And people should just expect a Battlefield reskin.

XiaNaphryz

All I'm saying is it isn't just Battlefield. And people should just expect a Battlefield reskin.

Heh, a bunch of us pretty much did regard the Battlefront games as essentially "a bit clunkier Battlefield with Star Wars looks" and thought they needed a lot more improvement, but as always we were surprised at how much people really enjoyed those games. We were a lot more harsher with our reviews of the games and thought there was a lot more that was needed to get it on the level of the Battlefield stuff.

Tubie

Battlfield has the issue of instant deaths due to doubling bullets in packets. It also has the most horrible rego issues that NO have not been fixed in Hardline. While Hardline has had a stable launch it still has the telltale signs of the frostbite issues. The main issue is they try and simulate to much shit on the server side( Debris, destruction and waves) that it puts strain on what actually matters which is bullets and movement. This is why it came out at only a 10 tick update rate and was later updated to a measly 30 tick. This is extremely bad for a shooter.

In a game like battlefield that's almost the best you will get in terms of tick rate. Hell Frostbite right now has better netcode than any BF game before it. This isn't CS:GO so I don't see the problem with the way it works right now. "extremely bad for a shooter" is misleading because not all shooters are equal or have the same focus.

Here's a couple videos regarding BF4 and the Frostbite 3 netcode.

Which Battlefield has the best Netcode?

Battlefield 4 Netcode demystified (English)

60Hz Netcode in Battlefield 4 CTE!

BokehKing

Banned
So does XB1 being listed first mean that MS picked up the marketing rights?
Sadly, I think I remember battlefront first being mentioned at the X1 unviel.
I'll probably buy it for both systems, max console potential for ps4
X1 because two huge star wars nerds I know own that console and probably won't have money for a ps4 anytime soon

XiaNaphryz

I just want a Rush/Heist equivalent, I'll be super bummed if it's just Conquest type stuff.

Something akin to Titan mode is something desperately needed in a Battlefront game and something a bunch of us who worked on the first two games had wanted to see implemented but it never really worked out given the production schedules.

CryptiK

In a game like battlefield that's almost the best you will get in terms of tick rate. Hell Frostbite right now has better netcode than any BF game before it. This isn't CS:GO so I don't see the problem with the way it works right now. "extremely bad for a shooter" is misleading because not all shooters are equal or have the same focus.

Here's a couple videos regarding BF4 and the Frostbite 3 netcode.

Which Battlefield has the best Netcode?

Battlefield 4 Netcode demystified (English)

60Hz Netcode in Battlefield 4 CTE!
Oh I know exactly how it works and I have had many conversations with the devs both in person and online. And regardless a shoot is a shooter and the main focus of the game is to shoot people no? When the main part of the game doesn't work then you have issues. When you say that Battlefield 4 has better netcode than any BF game before I'm guessing you never played anything before BFBC because 2142 takes the cake in that regard. The recent series probably rank below BF2 in terms of hit registration and consistency all because they are focusing on pretty effects on the server side.

Also that last video "60Hz Netcode" is misleading in the title alone as you still only receive data at 30Hz .

Tubie

Oh I know exactly how it works and I have had many conversations with the devs both in person and online. And regardless a shoot is a shooter and the main focus of the game is to shoot people no? When the main part of the game doesn't work then you have issues. When you say that Battlefield 4 has better netcode than any BF game before I'm guessing you never played anything before BFBC because 2142 takes the cake in that regard. The recent series probably rank below BF2 in terms of hit registration and consistency all because they are focusing on pretty effects on the server side.

I know it's not perfect but it will keep improving, specially now that both DICE LA and Visceral are working on future improvements to the netcode (like the 3rd video I linked shows). This is all good news for Battlefront because they will get over 2 years of work on improvement to the netcode from 2 different dev teams.

Oh and in that last video they did say that they want to make sure the sent data 60+ (depends on your framerate) works, before moving on to receive data. So this is work in progress that might actually happen before Battlefront comes out.

Sadly, I think I remember battlefront first being mentioned at the X1 unviel.
I'll probably buy it for both systems, max console potential for ps4
X1 because two huge star wars nerds I know own that console and probably won't have money for a ps4 anytime soon

Battlefront was announced at EA's 2013 E3 conference. The rumors are that Sony has the marketing rights for it. I guess we'll know for sure after the unveling at the Star Wars Celebration next month.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Probably because you don't understand the issues behind the "netcode". And why the still havent been able to fix it. The engine is really bad for a consistent multiplayer experience.
What are those issues and how do they make the game worse than similar shooters? And how are they inherent to the engine? Would an 8v8 FB3 game on small maps have the same issue?

Oh, all games that have the best graphics we've seen for the last 5 years? Makes sense.

Well not really Hardline since it somehow looks worse on the highest setting on PC than Bad Company 1. But yeah, BF3 and BF4 are still really good looking games. The problem people have is with the weird physics stuff, especially when it comes to the vehicles (Hardline blatantly puts these issues into the spotlight), and the fact that there is probably something in the frostbite engine that makes stuff like hit detection over a network wonky as shit.

El_Chino

Well not really Hardline since it somehow looks worse on the highest setting on PC than Bad Company 1. But yeah, BF3 and BF4 are still really good looking games. The problem people have is with the weird physics stuff, especially when it comes to the vehicles (Hardline blatantly puts these issues into the spotlight), and the fact that there is probably something in the frostbite engine that makes stuff like hit detection over a network wonky as shit.

While I agree that Hardline is the worst looking of the bunch, BF3 and BF4 blew minds when they were first announced. The physics have always been a bit off but i feel it's improved a bit with each iteration. I'm sure DICE has learned a lot from BF4's lauch so i would absolutely stunned if their netcode is still suffering by the time Star Wars releases.

Klossen

Banned
Didn't know the Battlefield series had Melee characters and Third Person.

Just incase you don't know what Battlefront is People https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-_6QUIaBSk that is Battlefront very different to Battlefield.
I actually am sceptical about Battlefront by DICE aswell. BF4 plays a lot like CoD with tanks. The community is bad. There is no coherence, no strategy, no sense of pacing or military authenticity. The hit registration is still sort of weird and gunplay doesn't feel that satisfying.

From what I've heard from from people freelancing at DICE, there seems to be an attitude of spectacle first over at DICE. I'm not saying this applies to the whole team, or that Battlefront will be CoD with Walkers, but judging by what BF4 currently is, and what I've heard, I'm personally sceptical about Battlefront. But I truly hope I'm wrong.

PopeReal

I am afraid that since they got rid of the bots the battles will seem small on consoles thus making the new game not seem like Battlefront. I don't want Call of Duty Star Wars, I want huge epic battle Star Wars.

I will wait and see, this game is the deciding factor as to whether or not I get a new console this xmas. I am pretty busy and don't have the time to play all the games I want to as it is.

CryptiK

1. What are those issues and how do they make the game worse than similar shooters?

2. And how are they inherent to the engine?

3. Would an 8v8 FB3 game on small maps have the same issue?

1. Client side Hit Reg coupled with a low server to client and client to server update rates ends in insta deaths and deaths behind walls while also favouring those with high pings. While there is lag compensation built into the netcode the issue still stands that at times even if you have made it behind a wall or to cover on your screen it may not be the same for someone else's so if they can see you even if you are safely behind cover you will take damage. The engine also simulates bullets rather than using Hitscan which is considered a more accurate method(Older COD games and CS Games) While the bullet simulations help with bullet drop and doing so comes at the cost of server strain and again coupling that with a low update rate and client side hit detection will result in instant deaths due to lag compensation(doubling bullets sent in a single packet) and death behind walls.

2. This is how the netcode was built for the engine. Its very rare to see another FPS apart from Mil Sims using these methods.

3. Yes it would. Though BF3 had less stress on the server due to debris and destruction not being simulated on the server but rather on the client.

Now that finally after 3 iterations of the Frostbite Engine and 1 and a half years of BETA testing Frostbite 3 in Battlefield 4 they are finally starting to realise that they need to prioritise Bullets and Bullet simulation as with the latest CTE update. However this still doesnt fix movement issues etc. They do have plans to up the update rate Server to Client from which will improve rego and accuracy of player movement but I don't see this being in Battlefront for release.

I actually am sceptical about Battlefront by DICE aswell. BF4 plays a lot like CoD with tanks. The community is bad. There is no coherence, no strategy, no sense of pacing or military authenticity. The hit registration is still sort of weird and gunplay doesn't feel that satisfying.

From what I've heard from from people freelancing at DICE, there seems to be an attitude of spectacle first over at DICE. I'm not saying this applies to the whole team, or that Battlefront will be CoD with Walkers, but judging by what BF4 currently is, and what I've heard, I'm personally sceptical about Battlefront. But I truly hope I'm wrong.
Spot on this is why the put so much unnecessary shit(debris, waves and destruction) on the Server that could have been done of the client like in the past. But because they have the mentality of "shits gotta look amaze who gives a fuck how it runs" I am very doubtful that Battlefront will be an improvement overall

Top Bottom