• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront is current-gen only (PS4/XBO/PC)

paYMbJb.gif

Not necessarily. TitanFall launches normally through the desktop, without needing Battlelog. I'm hoping Star Wars BF will do the same.

Battlelog is a DICE thing, not necessarily a whole EA thing. I just expect DICE to have it for every game from here on out, because it sidesteps their long held issue of releasing absolutely broke-ass server browsers, and having to wait for a game patch to fix them. It would be nice if battlelog were better integrated into their games though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I said in the other thread, I'm excited to see what a game powered by Frostbite 3 and DICE's artists/engineers can look like when the hardware ceiling is raised and limitations reduced. I'm quite fond of the engine, its performance and rendering, and think both Battlefield 4 and Inquisition are gorgeous. Handles foliage so much better than most other engines, love the way the environment is lit, and yeah. Gorgeous engine with the right art, gonna be swell to see Star Wars familiars rendered.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Excellent. Now confim the game is third person.

I'm sure it'll have a third person option, but given the original PR I believe first person is the priority. Worth remembering this isn't exactly Battlefront III, but DICE's vision of Battlefront.

As I said in the other thread, I'm excited to see what a game powered by Frostbite 3 and DICE's artists/engineers can look like when the hardware ceiling is raised and limitations reduced. I'm quite fond of the engine, its performance and rendering, and think both Battlefield 4 and Inquisition are gorgeous. Handles foliage so much better than most other engines, love the way the environment is lit, and yeah. Gorgeous engine with the right art, gonna be swell to see Star Wars familiars rendered.
Check DM.

2thepoint

Isn't it kind of telling that Xbox One was listed first in the tweet - maybe Microsoft nabbed the marketing rights?

Or I am being neurotic. ;P

Aselith

Why can't you play it?

Every time I try to play a game that uses Battlelog it comes up with an error that says "Game disconnected: something went wrong" and it never loads the map. Happened in BF 3 beta, BF 3, BF Hardline beta. I tried every suggestion I could find on it and nothing works.

Every once in a while I'll get a bee in my bonnet to play Battlefield and look for new solutions and it never works.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
We'll see if this is on the newer version of Frostbite that uses PBR. That should elevate the lighting even more.

Could be that the game is still too late because Frostbite got PBR support in mid 2014, so that's ~1.5 years of production. Could be close.

Jibbed

I'm sure it'll have a third person option, but given the original PR I believe first person is the priority. Worth remembering this isn't exactly Battlefront III, but DICE's vision of Battlefront.

This. I would put money on there being no 3rd-person, not as the standard Stormtrooper/Rebel or whatever anyway.

Maybe when you control a Jedi or something.

It's coming this holiday 2015 and I still have no idea what kind of game it is.

Safest bet is Battlefield: Star Wars Edition.

Valnen

Every time I try to play a game that uses Battlelog it comes up with an error that says "Game disconnected: something went wrong" and it never loads the map. Happened in BF 3 beta, BF 3, BF Hardline beta. I tried every suggestion I could find on it and nothing works.

Every once in a while I'll get a bee in my bonnet to play Battlefield and look for new solutions and it never works.

So just get a console version.

Aselith

So just get a console version.

Maybe if I have one of them by the time it comes out but if it plays at the jittery 30 fps like some of the other BF games on console I'm definitely not. Can't do those console shooter framerates, it makes me actually feel ill. I couldn't play most of the Killzone games for the same reason.

Noice!

Cross-gen is going awayyy.

Maybe if I have one of them by the time it comes out but if it plays at the jittery 30 fps like some of the other BF games on console I'm definitely not. Can't do those console shooter framerates, it makes me actually feel ill. I couldn't play most of the Killzone games for the same reason.

PS4 version of BF4 runs at a solid 60?

Yoday

OP I like how you deemed what qualifies current gen in the treadtitle yet the tweet just states actual platforms.
We are well over a year into the PS4 and XB1, they are current gen and they have been the current gen since the day they came out.
This is great news, but I'd be interested to know when the call was made.
One look at the early concept footage in the video from last E3 and it's pretty clear that this was never going to be on last gen consoles. Honestly I'm surprised that the lack of last gen versions is news to anyone.

so im not technically literate, humor me; what would be the dramatic difference between what was possible using the Frostbite 3 for cross gen game and using the Frostbite 3 for a current gen game only? like what would be the obvious differences between Battlefield 4 and Star Wars Battlefront on current gen consoles ?

Jibbed

so im not technically literate, humor me; what would be the dramatic difference between what was possible using the Frostbite 3 for cross gen game and using the Frostbite 3 for a current gen game only? like what would be the obvious differences between Battlefield 4 and Star Wars Battlefront on current gen consoles ?

For a start, it should be optimised from the very beginning to take full advantage of the extra power. One would assume higher resolution output and textures, more stable framerate, extra effects etc. Basically it'll look better and play smoother. The way BF4/HL on PS4/X1 were meant to be.

Those games were built with the old gen in mind, so the game had to run well on the 'weakest' platform then scale up accordingly. Now they can stretch their legs a little.

For a start, it should be optimised from the very beginning to take full advantage of the extra power. One would assume higher resolution output and textures, more stable framerate, extra effects etc. Basically it'll look better and play smoother. The way BF4/HL on PS4/X1 were meant to be.

Those games were built with the old gen in mind, so the game had to run well on the 'weakest' platform then scale up accordingly. Now they can stretch their legs a little.

so just optimization, no large gameplay or graphical improvements?

Jibbed

so just optimization, no large gameplay or graphical improvements?

Gameplay-wise, we might see more on-screen so more vehicles, more players etc. Nothing too different.

Graphics-wise, a decent but not huge step up from the precedent set by Battlefield 4 / Hardline. The extra performance should mean overall it's a smoother experience.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The biggest difference will be in asset quality. The assets won't have to be designed to fit into less than 512mb of RAM any more.

RexNovis

Banned
No! No no no no no no no! EA don't rush this! Please! Don't fuck this up. Holiday 2015 is way too soon. The game deserves a decent dev cycle.

Gameplay-wise, we might see more on-screen so more vehicles, more players etc. Nothing too different.

Graphics-wise, a decent but not huge step up from the precedent set by Battlefield 4 / Hardline. The extra performance should mean overall it's a smoother experience.

i see. cool cool

a916

Please don't suck, please don't suck. #it'sprollygonnasuck

It's DICE... you can't possibly have picked up a better developer to hand this game to. (multiple developers have already failed making this as well)

Large scale vehicle/infantry combat, DICE is unrivaled in that regard.

Top Bottom