• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront is current-gen only (PS4/XBO/PC)

bombshell

Is it too late to reap the benefits of a Tomb Raider 360 cancellation? That being cross-gen so far into the gen is just plain stupid.

Assuming BF4 bugs and Hardline bugs will all be ironed out by time Battlefront releases, there really is no excuse for another buggy glitchy BF4 engine game release.

-Right?

-RIGHT?

Assuming BF4 bugs and Hardline bugs will all be ironed out by time Battlefront releases, there really is no excuse for another buggy glitchy BF4 engine game release.

-Right?

-RIGHT?

It's going to be an updated version of Frostbite, so expect some bugs. Probably not as bad now that DICE has had plenty of time with the two consoles, but it is DICE. They will find a way.

And this game will be just as if not more popular than BF4 on the strength of the Star Wars brand alone. Expect the network to go full melt down no matter how many servers EA throws at it.

the1npc

There is usually always some type of ULTIMATE BUNDURU around the holiday season. MS is usually the first to cut price and/or bundle in games with their console. Plus don't forget you will need ps+ / xbl if you want to play online. I hope you get to enjoy it somehow.

I've got ps+ on ps3 so thats no issue...if its bundled with some games I'll bite but its so much to ask imo. I get the us/can exchange rate is ass atm but the xbone didn't go up

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
And this game will be just as if not more popular than BF4 on the strength of the Star Wars brand alone. Expect the network to go full melt down no matter how many servers EA throws at it.

This will probably be the closest EA will come to CoD numbers with one of their shooters. It is absolutely crucial that they don't fuck it up.

Bsigg12

Not approaching this from a console warrior intent, I would think that Sony would pull the marketing rights considering everything Microsoft already has rights to this coming holiday.

They have their own game in Halo 5, they have the holiday exclusive rights to Tomb Raider. I assume they are keeping Call of Duty rights for the foreseeable future and I think the Assassins Creed marketing deal was probably a multi year thing as well.

I would think Sony would want something big to market with Uncharted delayed.

See that makes sense. I guess it all depends on EA/Disney and how much money is being offered. Microsoft backing it would be a little weird because it's a SciFi FPS that's releasing around Halo 5 so that seems counter intuitive but it is Star Wars. The game will probably end up selling a ton regardless.

Conduit

Banned
This will probably be the closest EA will come to CoD numbers with one of their shooters. It is absolutely crucial that they don't fuck it up.

Behind closed doors @GDC 2015 :

dDwsf1T.png

Is COD still cross-gen this year? If so, I doubt EA will touch COD numbers. SW:BF will still likely sell millions and beat BF4's sales figures though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Behind closed doors @GDC 2015 :

dDwsf1T.png

Yea I saw this. I'd be more interested in the ovation it gets at Star Wars Celebration and E3 though. I think they will deliver.

Is COD still cross-gen this year? If so, I doubt EA will touch COD numbers. SW:BF will still likely sell millions and beat BF4's sales figures though.

I assumed CoD was going to be current-gen only, either way I still think it will get closer to CoD than any of their previous attempts. Being attached to what may be the biggest film of all time certainly won't hurt it's chances.

According to Wiki, BF4 sold 7 million as of May 2014, and that's with an extended broken launch. I'd expect Battlefront to sell at least 8 million+ if it's at least average, maybe closer to 10 if it's truly great. Obviously these are just guesses that I pulled out of my arse though.

Apeboy

Yea I saw this. I'd be more interested in the ovation it gets at Star Wars Celebration and E3 though. I think they will deliver.

I have no doubt EA can deliver on the hype. I have doubts about DICE delivering on the game. Smug developer is smug.

Conduit

Banned
I expect PS4 Star Wars : Battlefront bundle with exclusive movie download code which can be used on movie release date ( mid Dec ).

Markitron

I expect PS4 Star Wars : Battlefront bundle with exclusive movie download code which can be used on movie release date ( mid Dec ).

A download code for the movie itself? That's not a possibility on the films release date. Any download code would probably be an unlock or a skin or something.

I have no faith or trust in DICE, I still feel burned by the disastrous BF4 launch fiasco. I'm cautiously excited but I won't be buying Battlefront Day-1 that's for damn sure. DICE's reputation and credibility took a pretty big beating after the 12+ months it took them to fix all of BF4's massive game breaking problems. They really need to get their shit together and release a complete, functional and stable game on launch day. Cycle of releasing $60 Beta's and DLC and then taking another 6+ months to fix everything has to stop.

Sure, but will it be any good? That`s the big question.

Why would it be? DICE hasn't made anything worthwhile SP wise in 5 years. Even Bad Company1/2 wasn't that good, they just took themselves less seriously. If they keep the BF3/4/HL formula then it's not even a question IMO.

Honestly, I'd prefer no story with just movie recreations.

Defcon_2Fast4u

Neo Member
Thank god.

I am tired of publishers releasing on previous gen consoles to make more money, with terrible ports.

If they do a great job on both gens, then I see no issue, but for the most part it is depressing to see the down grade in quality.

Top Bottom