• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Kinect - New gameplay footage

cakefoo

That's not necessarily lowered expectations. Of course it's great when a game appeals to the whole family, but sometimes kids also want/need games that are, well, childish. So some games may appeal to kids and only them, and still be good. Like some TV shows can be appreciated by adults, and others are just for kids. I mean, I wouldn't watch "Dora the explorer" but it doesn't mean it's a bad show...
That's only ok because Dora is a kids IP- it's not wasting a perfectly good IP like Star Wars on kids who are the polar opposite of the original fans.

Worried your game is pants and isn't going to sell? Stick in an obligatory dancing mode!

Gotta admit, I chuckled at some of the names of the dance moves. Still, looks terrible.

Alx

That's only ok because Dora is a kids IP- it's not wasting a perfectly good IP like Star Wars on kids who are the polar opposite of the original fans.

There are SW fans of all ages... I think I was 6 when I watched Episode IV for the first time (and loved it), characters like 3PO, R2, Ewoks or Jar-Jar are aimed at kids (they even made Ewoks movies that were obviously for children), toy merchandise were a good part of the financial success of the saga...
There's nothing new in having SW products aimed at kids.

iNjM64ujP7fsP.gif

This is actually very appealing to me, reminds me of the silly dance minigame in Wario Ware Wii.

I might actually buy a Kinect for this game.

cakefoo

There are SW fans of all ages... I think I was 6 when I watched Episode IV for the first time (and loved it), characters like 3PO, R2, Ewoks or Jar-Jar are aimed at kids (they even made Ewoks movies that were obviously for children), toy merchandise were a good part of the financial success of the saga...
I'm speaking in direct response to your comparing SW to Dora. Dora caters purely to very very young kids. A Star Wars themed game on the other hand is always going to get people's hopes up until they find out what it really is. And there's a difference between having kid appeal and being utterly revolting and offense and annoying to anyone who isn't 5. Jar-Jar and Kinect are in that same category. 3PO and R2D2 successfully straddled the line of appealing to young ones and old alike. 3PO was only mildly annoying at times.

iceatcs

Awwww that dance video/racing showing this game assist set at really high.

The real person dancing on the top-left is out of pose and sync but it got "Awesome" for right timing.
Racing seen don't make any different how much you turn.

border

Has anyone else noticed how from the very beginning, the age of players used to demo this game has slowly but surely decreased?

When it was first teased at E3 two years ago, an adult was playing.
At last year's E3 reveal it was a kid in his mid-to-late teens.
Now the promotional footage is of two children that probably aren't even ten years old.

It's as if they have been slowly but surely tacitly admitting that they are making a product incapable of appealing to anyone of grown-up taste. I guess the teenager at E3 should have been a bit of a giveaway, since you almost never see anyone under 25 at a Microsoft E3 press conference.

Krilekk

Banned
It's as if they have been slowly but surely tacitly admitting that they are making a product incapable of appealing to anyone of grown-up taste. I guess the teenager at E3 should have been a bit of a giveaway, since you almost never see anyone under 25 at a Microsoft E3 press conference.

They obviously realized that the core gamers will never accept Kinect. And it's ok for them, they wanted to reach a new audience with Kinect, not force the old one to use new controls. And Star Wars has always been a family franchise. It was a fairy tale back in 1977 and it became a pretty cheesy fairy tale with Episode I to III. If somebody is having problems with Star Wars Kinect it's very much so because they don't understand what Star Wars is. It's not an adult scifi universe.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So um... Kinect Star Wars is basically going to be the video game equivalent of the Star Wars Christmas Special that Lucas vows never actually existed despite home made recordings to the contrary? There's something surreal about a bunch of kids and storm troopers dancing to a SW-themed cover of YMCA from the Village People. I'm going to go climb the highest building and jump off the roof now.

If you love them get them Tim Schafer's Happy Action Theatre instead. That look's a heck of a lot more genuinely fun than this.

Why do people always do this? The final project is not out yet, so you can't say that. For the record, though, I don't have a lot of hope left for this game....

JWong

Banned
Can kids even beat any level on Dance Central? Those two kids look like they should have failed the level in 5 seconds.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
They managed to make Pod Racing look worse than the N64 game.

border

They obviously realized that the core gamers will never accept Kinect. And it's ok for them, they wanted to reach a new audience with Kinect, not force the old one to use new controls.

I think there's a difference between "core gamers won't like Kinect" and "let's just make children's games" or "let's throw in a dancing mode that has no business in this IP because it seems like dancing games are popular".

Kinect Star Wars speaks to the ridiculous creative failures surrounding Kinect development....everything is so "me too" it wasn't enough to have a glut of minigame collections and dance titles flooding the market, so let's put a dance game inside a minigame collection!

So? Just because you watched it at the age of 6 doesn't mean the franchise was aimed at kids back then. Episodes IV-VI as hell weren't. Ewoks aimed at kids? I would like to think it's just Lucas being a terrible scenario writer, esp. since the previous movie had GUY'S HAND GETTING CHOPPED OFF AND ANOTHER GUY FROZEN IN CARBONITE (spoiler, btw). Yes, I'm sure kids felt right at home at the end of Episode V.
Add to that EU novels, Yuuzan Wong and Heir of the Empire, and you have a rather dark picture of the universe.

It's only with Episode I Lucas got mindfucked and decided to destroy everything he created to make more $$$.

I don't deny new SW direction brought incredible amounts of money, business-wise it was a great decision. But don't say this was somehow all planned and part of SW from the beginning.

This game is shit, it will sell millions, nothing new here.

Alx

So? Just because you watched it at the age of 6 doesn't mean the franchise was aimed at kids back then. Episodes IV-VI as hell weren't. Ewoks aimed at kids? I would like to think it's just Lucas being a terrible scenario writer, esp. since the previous movie had GUY'S HAND GETTING CHOPPED OFF AND ANOTHER GUY FROZEN IN CARBONITE (spoiler, btw). Yes, I'm sure kids felt right at home at the end of Episode V.

Eh, just think about it : what happens at the apex of the most grim, dark and serious episode, is a guy getting his hand cleanly cut off, with no trace of blood whatsoever and only to have it replaced immediately by a perfect prosthesis, and another guy being frozen but not dead ?
What else happens in the saga, first the old guy gets killed but disappears with a "poof" and comes back as a ghost, empire soldiers fall in ridiculous traps, aim like shit and get killed by Teddy bears, big bad guy faces a "Disney Villain Death"...
Speaking of Disney, its "Black Hole" movie came out about the same period and was more terrifying than Star Wars.

Face it, the Star Wars movies are children-friendly, and intended to be. Why else would they start toy production at the same time the movie released ?

Add to that EU novels, Yuuzan Wong and Heir of the Empire, and you have a rather dark picture of the universe.

The novels are something different (I suppos, didn't read them), and aimed at a more focused market. They're probably the reason why a category of fans take SW so seriously, while most people see it as a nice family franchise.

If it controls well it will probably be fun for people who don't take their Star Wars seriously, but this is clearly not the motion control Star Wars game GAF was hoping for.

Rat Salad

Banned
Worried your game is pants and isn't going to sell? Stick in an obligatory dancing mode!

Gotta admit, I chuckled at some of the names of the dance moves. Still, looks terrible.

Shhhh.
Don't give Sony any ideas. Its already embarrassing enough to see whats happened with MOVE.

border

Star Wars was originally made for broad appeal at the beginning. Yes kids would like it, but there were plenty of dark and engaging elements for adults to enjoy. EP4-6 are no more children's films than the mostly bloodless samurai and cowboy movies that they were inspired by. The lack of gore shouldn't really dictate what makes a film a kids' film -- most people forget that movies back then were relatively gore-free unless they were straight up horror flicks. Not to mention that EP4 does have a pretty bloody dismemberment in the cantina.

I'm not sure if the franchise's initial appeal to kids really justifies the inclusion of a Dance Mode in a game about a series of movies that have at best maybe 120 seconds of dancing out of 12+ hours of content. Kids like cowboy movies, but you wouldn't include a dance mode in them even though yes, people occasionally dance in westerns.

I don't think that many people are rejecting the idea of a kid-friendly Star Wars title - just the way it's been implemented. If they wanted to really keep in the spirit of the original trilogy they should be aiming for something like Lego Star Wars.....a game that will have strong appeal to kids, but has plenty of components to engage adults.

If they wanted to really keep in the spirit of the original trilogy they should be aiming for something like Lego Star Wars.....a game that will have strong appeal to kids, but has plenty of components to engage adults.

Dancing can be engaging to adults, and so can goofing around with a bunch of stormtroopers. Perfect house party material. It's just not necessarily engaging to core gamers looking for a deep solitary experience.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Dis gon be good!

LOL..Can't wait for the pod racing. I have the Star Wars 360 console on pre order. Can't wait.

WhyMe6

It's like their acknowledging that, really, the best (only?) use of Kinect so far is dancing. But maybe that's just because Harmonix are so damn brilliant.

Also pod racing looks terribad. Fun fact: Pod Racer on N64 is still an excellent, fast game - play it on your local emulator and enjoy the fun!

border

Dancing can be engaging to adults, and so can goofing around with a bunch of stormtroopers. Perfect house party material. It's just not necessarily engaging to core gamers looking for a deep solitary experience.

I think the dancing is there because they seem to think the game has to have some kind of multiplayer component. None of the singleplayer Kinect games have sold very well.

It's just a shame that the only multiplayer mode they could think of was dancing. Aside from the fact that it's utterly stupid for the Star Wars IP, the market for dance games is already so saturated. I don't think it's really enough to get people to buy the game over a half-dozen alternative dance-focused games.

Mario007

It's like their acknowledging that, really, the best (only?) use of Kinect so far is dancing. But maybe that's just because Harmonix are so damn brilliant.

to be honest, an RTS would have been brilliant on the kinect (and i'm saying this as a sony fanboy)

Adam J.

They dance kind of like the baddies from God Hand (lol). I'm all for a dancing action Star Wars game btw, but not like this...

EGM1966

Why do people always do this? The final project is not out yet, so you can't say that. For the record, though, I don't have a lot of hope left for this game....

Note use of "look's". Based on released media for both Crazy Action Theatre clearly looks better usage of Kinect. It is fully based on guestures that translate well. Star Wars has racing - something for which Kinect is clearly the worst input choice - swordplay - ditto - force guestures - it'll be okay for that - and dancing - yup it'll be good for that too.

I think my (and others from your post) position make sense based on the evidence.

SeanNoonan

wanted to reach a new audience with Kinect, not force the old one to use new controls. And Star Wars has always been a family franchise. It was a fairy tale back in 1977 and it became a pretty cheesy fairy tale with Episode I to III. If somebody is having problems with Star Wars Kinect it's very much so because they don't understand what Star Wars is. It's not an adult scifi universe.
Sad but true.

Takuya

Banned
They obviously realized that the core gamers will never accept Kinect. And it's ok for them, they wanted to reach a new audience with Kinect, not force the old one to use new controls. And Star Wars has always been a family franchise. It was a fairy tale back in 1977 and it became a pretty cheesy fairy tale with Episode I to III. If somebody is having problems with Star Wars Kinect it's very much so because they don't understand what Star Wars is. It's not an adult scifi universe.

That or they just couldn't find a decent way to make a good lightsaber/force game based around Kinect.

What happened to the star wars game for the PS move? They teased it in that add, it only does lightsabers.But nothing ever came out what the hell? I got the move for that reason only.

Busty

Banned
If I were funding and publishing a Star Wars game for the Kinect myself this is EXACTLY what I would make.

It'll probably do excellent business.....and be total and utter shit though no one will care.

If it controls well it will probably be fun for people who don't take their Star Wars seriously....

Do such people even exist?

Can't stick in any compelling gameplay with Kinect, so stick in dancing..... embarrassing.

At this point what are people expecting from the Kinect? I honestly cannot get my head around the fact that some people still seem to be expecting some deep, compelling piece of software to be released for it.

Kinect has been a massive success despite lacking a single piece of interesting software beyond the usual tired dancing games and Zumba fitness for the wife.

jaypah

This game looks kind of stupid. But there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of stupid games. You can't go one month without a stupid game releasing, so I'm trying to figure out why this game always has such explosive threads. Is it because of the SW theme? Because it's an exclusive? Because it's Kinect based? Actually I think the phenomenon is because it's a perfect mix of all four of those things (lousy, star wars, exclusive, Kinect). Three of those always bring out the venom and adding the SW franchise is just icing on the cake I guess.

I'm ready for new consoles. MS is just coasting at this point and Nintendo is focused on 3DS and WiiU. Sony still has some tricks left but I'm ready to move forward.

At this point what are people expecting from the Kinect? I honestly cannot get my head around the fact that some people still seem to be expecting some deep, compelling piece of software to be released for it.

Kinect has been a massive success despite lacking a single piece of interesting software beyond the usual tired dancing games and Zumba fitness for the wife.
Child of Eden, The Gunstringer, Fruit Ninja, Haunt, Happy Action Theater and for kids Kinectimals, Disneyland and Sesame Street. They're not all necessarily the deepest games, and you might not find them compelling but they have three things in common -- they're well designed, they work and they offer unique experiences. Stating "Kinect Star Wars has dancing because that is all Kinect can do" is patently wrong, and people need to stop using Kinect as an excuse for the developers lack of imagination. As I said earlier, this game as it is currently designed would, for the most part, benefit from a controller of some sort. But that doesn't mean a Kinect Star Wars has to be this bad. It does not.

Well... I just tried to type something meaningful here. I couldn't.
This game, from the very first image/trailer to this day has been nothing more but "are you f* kidding me?" for me.
Seriously, to think that this is something that Lucasarts (obviously) takes pride in is ... disappointing to put it mildly.

As someone (a hardcore gamer at that) who only recently bought Kinect, so far I'm having a blast with Dance Central and Kinect Adventures and I've started Your Shape 2012 workouts and I'm amazed. The tech is really impressive. See? I see potential in this device and so far I'm loving it. BUT...that doesn't mean that I'm OK with seeing something as magnificent as Star Wars turned into a ...turd for ... for who really? who's the targeted audience anyway? 5 year olds? Seriously?

Ah man... I just feel...you know...it's Star Wars...and this... *sigh*.

Scapegoat

and it became a pretty cheesy fairy tale with Episode I to III.
Yeah, episodes 1-3 just had...
Boring political talk
Slavery with head implanted explosives
Multiple assassination attempts
Anakin's raging and uncontrollable hormones
Anakin's mother bound, beaten and bloody
Anakin killing a bunch of Tusken raiders, "and not just the men, but the woman and children too. They're like animals. And I slaughtered them like animals."
More boring political talk
Beheadings
Facial disfigurement
Anakin killing a bunch of kids
Anakin having his arms and legs cut off
"I HATE YOU"
Anakin set on fire and screaming and closeup of his face as he burns, also shot of his burning melting face
Act of cruelty in which the twins are separated by the "good guys", one going to live with the king of a planet and the other to live with two poor kids on a desert planet
NoooOOOoOoOoOOOo!

Real fairy tale stuff lol

I was okay with the dancing stuff with Leia, and kind of with C3PO... but why a YMCA cover with "clever new lyrics"... /facepalm

WhyMe6

to be honest, an RTS would have been brilliant on the kinect (and i'm saying this as a sony fanboy)

Definitely, it's just a shame nobody's really given it a go yet. Maybe Microsoft will - they've done Halo Wars already. Gears of War RTS incoming?

Top Bottom