• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

JDHarbs

story group is being interviewed on the star wars live stream

really interesting!

i hope their youtube page will have most of these clips after the convention is over
I like how they specifically mentioned Ahsoka and Rex. Possible hints at future appearances.

curb

Banned
I like how they specifically mentioned Ahsoka and Rex. Possible hints at future appearances.

Rex was created solely for Clone Wars, right?

I'd love some stories of what happened to Ahsoka between Clone Wars and Rebels. I'm sure we'll get some backstory but proper content would be great.

So I was at Celebration today but I was having so much fun already just wandering around that I winged it. I thought I had just about wandered the whole convention but I get home and see there was an exhibit showing off costumes and props from the new movie!

I missed it but Ill be back Saturday. Where can I find it?!

So I was at Celebration today but I was having so much fun already just wandering around that I winged it. I thought I had just about wandered the whole convention but I get home and see there was an exhibit showing off costumes and props from the new movie!

I missed it but Ill be back Saturday. Where can I find it?!

Room 208B.

That's James Earl Jones? Hm he does sound a bit off

I know it might be controversial but maybe they should've stuck with the Chad Vader guy (Matt Sloan) since he did Darth Vader in the Force Unleashed games I thought he did a great job.

Moff

they got james earl jones? seriously? wasn't the rumour that he was super reluctant to do vader for episode 3, and now he is voicing an animated tv show?

Paul S. Kemp, author of a few Star Wars books, including the canonical Lords of the Sith, says on Twitter that Alan Dean Foster is doing the novelization of The Force Awakens.

(If you didn't know, Foster did the original novelization of Star Wars back in '77)

This pleases me.

Woorloog

Banned
Huh, a full circle. Kind off.
I wonder if The Force Awakens will have blood and gore, bouncing blaster bolts and other oddities, just for the sake of old times. Oh, and ducks.

Rootbeer

Banned
Also The Force Awakens novel will come out the day of the film's release... but only in digital form.

The paper version will be January

MattyG

Banned
Just watched the latter half of ROTS again. I used to love this movie. It's worse than I remember. So much worse...

Cheebo

Banned
I've never read the novelizations for the OT. Anyone here have them? Are they worth a read?

Full of weird continuity issues since the authors had no idea what was coming (Jabba in A New Hope is well...not Jabba, Obi-Wan is Uncle Owen's Brother, etc). But enjoyable I think.

I've never read the novelizations for the OT. Anyone here have them? Are they worth a read?

The only truly great novelization is the Revenge of the Sith novelization, by Matt Stover. It is frequently voted at the top -or close to it- EU novel in fan polls . Many consider it superior to the film. Alan Dean Foster's is okay. You can skip the TESB and ROTJ ones.

Calcium

Banned
Full of weird continuity issues since the authors had no idea what was coming (Jabba in A New Hope is well...not Jabba, Obi-Wan is Uncle Owen's Brother, etc). But enjoyable I think.

The only truly great novelization is the Revenge of the Sith novelization, by Matt Stover. It is frequently voted at the top -or close to it- EU novel in fan polls . Many consider it superior to the film. Alan Dean Foster's is okay. You can skip the TESB and ROTJ ones.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll check them out. I never considered reading the novelizations of the new trilogy, I wonder if I'd like them more than the movies. It's certainly worth a try I guess and December does seem far, far away.

Cheebo

Banned
The ANH is a must read since Foster hadn't seen the movie when he wrote it and wasn't even using the finalized script. And had to guess at a lot of the details.

Foster's Obi-Wan in it was literally Gandalf. Smoking pipe weed and all.

Zombine

Banned
The status of Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir as cannon is strange as hell. It hasn't had a reprint, doesn't have the Legacy label for old EU books, and generally is being ignored.

MattyG

Banned
The status of Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir as cannon is strange as hell. It hasn't had a reprint, doesn't have the Legacy label for old EU books, and generally is being ignored.
I just ordered issues 1 2 and 4 this morning after I found out it was canon. Hadn't heard about that until now. I can't find issue 3 for the life of me though, for a decent price at least. Got the others for $4 each, only copy of 3 I can find is $40. I may try to cancel the order (if I can) and order the trade paperback. I'd like to have the individual issues, but I also want to actually read the full story.

It is SUPER weird though. It's part of the Clone Wars Legacy line apparently (Dark Disciple, the novel out in July, is also a part of that), so it's basically just an episode or story arc of TCW that they never got to produce but in print form.

Cheebo

Banned

It's taken directly from TCW scripts, thats why it is canon. They aren't ignoring it, more they seem to be ignoring anything Maul related at all so far.

Cheebo

Banned
Best part of the Marvel panel yesterday was them confirming they will eventually tell the tale of the between ESB and ROTJ period. We can finally get a good ROTJ lead-up and wipe that awful and embarrassingly sexist trash that was Shadows of the Empire from memory.

MattyG

Banned
Best part of the Marvel panel yesterday was them confirming they will eventually tell the tale of the between ESB and ROTJ period. We can finally get a good ROTJ lead-up and wipe that awful and embarrassingly sexist trash that was Shadows of the Empire from memory.
What made SotE sexist? I never read it.

Cheebo

Banned
What made SotE sexist? I never read it.

Bobby Roberts actually did a Full of Sith episode that covered that aspect of it. But a lot centers how Leia gets wooed by the bad guy and falls for him like some over the top romance novel despite the fact she literally just confessed her love for Han mere weeks before the novel took place and Han was in danger and in carbonate. She had a hard time stopping her self from having sex with him. It really made her character seem ditzy.

cj_iwakura

So I'm reading Darth Plagueis, and I enjoy all the backstory and Palpatine and how he apparently devised every scheme in the entire original trilogy from the Trade Federation to Camino, but one thing I don't get: why did he turn into an alien-hating fascist? There's no real indicator of why he and/or the Imperials hate aliens so much.

cj_iwakura

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll check them out. I never considered reading the novelizations of the new trilogy, I wonder if I'd like them more than the movies. It's certainly worth a try I guess and December does seem far, far away.

I don't like how the RotS novel handled Palpatine's fight with the four Jedi Masters. It was really silly. He pretends to be attacked for a recording or some nonsense.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Bobby Roberts actually did a Full of Sith episode that covered that aspect of it. But a lot centers how Leia gets wooed by the bad guy and falls for him like some over the top romance novel despite the fact she literally just confessed her love for Han mere weeks before the novel took place and Han was in danger and in carbonate. She had a hard time stopping her self from having sex with him. It really made her character seem ditzy.

Yeah, sounds like shit. I hope we get soon the story between Empire and Jedi.

Rootbeer

Banned

I checked barnesandnoble.com and was able to find the trade paperback in stock at a store near me... but yes it is not exactly in plentiful supply, amazon will let you order it but it's not in stock right now. There is a used copy for $16 and change with prime shipping.

So I'm reading Darth Plagueis, and I enjoy all the backstory and Palpatine and how he apparently devised every scheme in the entire original trilogy from the Trade Federation to Camino, but one thing I don't get: why did he turn into an alien-hating fascist? There's no real indicator of why he and/or the Imperials hate aliens so much.

In the old EU, it was to explain why the Empire in the OT was composed exclusively of white dudes. The EU Empire was also racist and sexist (the one prominent female Imperial, Daala, got there only because she slept with Tarkin, another icky plot point I'm glad is gone from canon), but this is no longer the case. There have already been plenty of female non-white Imperials introduced in the new canon.

In current canon, Palpatine himself sees everyone and everything else as beneath him, and has no problem using anyone for his own purposes, no matter the race. The Empire itself is officially not species-ist, Mas Amedda is still the Imperial Vizier at the time Rebels takes place. However, he allows systematic alien discrimination because it serves his purpose - he loves pitting different factions against each other, his reasoning being that as long as they're struggling against one another, they're not plotting against him.

MattyG

Banned
jay-z-rap-disgusted-6bb61e3b7bce0931da574d19d1d82c88-1584.gif

Yeah, that sounds really bad.

Watching a read through of the Shakespeare version of A New Hope and it's hilarious.

Gareth Edwards panel's starting as well. Unfortunately no footage.

I read it and completely attributed her falling for Prince Xizor as a result of his hormone manipulating cloud thing. It's a signature of his species that they can excrete smells that enrage or dampen certain hormones in other species.

In the case of SotE, he basically seduced her and forced her into it. At the end of the book she came to her senses (thanks to Chewy's help) and helped take Xizor down.

I read this several years ago though so while I could be missing something or misremembering certain aspects of the book/story, but until proven otherwise I would say I disagree entirely with what you are saying.

Now, if you are saying other aspects of the story are sexist or that the idea of her falling for a creature's (for lack of a better term) superpower is a terrible idea or concept as a story concept, then that is a matter of opinion. But the in-universe explanation for what happened 100% makes sense.

Ezalc

You know with rogue one, I'm glad that like the "grunts" are going to get a spotlight and it reminds me. I know that there are several famous clone troopers like Cody, Rex and etc that just became even more known due to the clone wars as well as Wedge, Ackbar, I guess Lando for some of the rebels. Are there any famous stormtroopers? There have been stories on generals like Tarkin and Thrawn but what about some stormtrooper squad?

You know with rogue one, I'm glad that like the "grunts" are going to get a spotlight and it reminds me. I know that there are several famous clone troopers like Cody, Rex and etc that just became even more known due to the clone wars as well as Wedge, Ackbar, I guess Lando for some of the rebels. Are there any famous stormtroopers? There have been stories on generals like Tarkin and Thrawn but what about some stormtrooper squad?

In the old EU there were a few that switched sides and helped the Rebels and got some spotlight, but for the most part there really wasn't anything from the stormtroopers.

Ezalc

In the old EU there were a few that switched sides and helped the Rebels and got some spotlight, but for the most part there really wasn't anything from the stormtroopers.

That's kind of disappointing. Comparing to something like Gundam (which is completely different from Star Wars besides the fact that both are scifi) they have these little stories about the grunts and that's always good to see that it's not all just cannon fodder. I like that they fleshed out the clones, it seems to me that doing so to some stormtrooper battalions/squads aside from Vader's Fist, would show a really interesting side we haven't seen before. Though I guess that one reason they might not have done this is because the empire always comes across as comically evil, and to go back to the Gundam comparison not saying that the Zeon or Titans weren't either but at least they had some compelling little stories peppered throughout that the Empire could also have.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished Vader #3. Aphra is really cool, as are 000 and BT-1. Can't wait to read #4.

Edit: Oh my god page 7 of #4. 000 is fucking hilarious.

I'm a little pissed at Marvel though. The code inside redeemed as an issue #2 code. I emailed their customer service, but I have a feeling I won't hear back, at least not for a while. It's only $4 if I have to buy it again, but still.

I was born in 1985 so when I grew up the original trilogy already existed (I did manage as a kid to see Ep V without getting it spoiled) so what's got me this excited is that for all my life Star Wars has always officially ended at VI. Even during the prequel hype I was never this excited because we knew how it was going to end!

With Ep VII the sky is the limit especially since they threw the EU out the window. I'm excited to see where this iconic series will go now and everything I've seen and read from cast and crew just gets me more pumped up. I feel the franchise is in great hands and I love they're bringing back the original trilogy's aesthetics including less CG and mkre real sets and practical effects.

I just hope they do try new things. I don't want a retelling of the OG trilogy with new characters and I hope Darth Vader stays dead.

Here's to a trilogy of movies with at the very least better acting and writing than the prequels!

EDIT: and I'm the last post of this page. Swell....

Top Bottom