• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

cj_iwakura

In the old EU, it was to explain why the Empire in the OT was composed exclusively of white dudes. The EU Empire was also racist and sexist (the one prominent female Imperial, Daala, got there only because she slept with Tarkin, another icky plot point I'm glad is gone from canon), but this is no longer the case. There have already been plenty of female non-white Imperials introduced in the new canon.

In current canon, Palpatine himself sees everyone and everything else as beneath him, and has no problem using anyone for his own purposes, no matter the race. The Empire itself is officially not species-ist, Mas Amedda is still the Imperial Vizier at the time Rebels takes place. However, he allows systematic alien discrimination because it serves his purpose - he loves pitting different factions against each other, his reasoning being that as long as they're struggling against one another, they're not plotting against him.

Makes sense.

Also, the ending of Darth Plagueis sucked. All that great build-up with such an awesome character, and
Palpatine kills him without a fight.
Weak.

I was born in 1985 so when I grew up the original trilogy already existed (I did manage as a kid to see Ep V without getting it spoiled) so what's got me this excited is that for all my life Star Wars has always officially ended at VI. Even during the prequel hype I was never this excited because we knew how it was going to end!

With Ep VII the sky is the limit especially since they threw the EU out the window. I'm excited to see where this iconic series will go now and everything I've seen and read from cast and crew just gets me more pumped up. I feel the franchise is in great hands and I love they're bringing back the original trilogy's aesthetics including less CG and mkre real sets and practical effects.

I just hope they do try new things. I don't want a retelling of the OG trilogy with new characters and I hope Darth Vader stays dead.

Here's to a trilogy of movies with at the very least better acting and writing than the prequels!

EDIT: and I'm the last post of this page. Swell....

I'll bump you to the next page. ;)

I was born in '84 and have grown up with Star Wars since my first few years. My older brother is old enough to have seen Jedi in the cinemas and because he loved it, I saw a lot of Star Wars early on.

I read a shit ton of the EU books in high school and loved the idea of following the Rebellion after the fall of the Death Star II. I can't wait to see this new trilogy. Everything so far that I have seen, heard and read about this new movie has me excited. They seem to get it. Everything I love about the OT, they understand it.

ghostmind

My dad took me to see Star Wars in the summer of 1977. It was my first movie theater experience, and it was a defining point in my life. I have been fortunate enough to see the original theatrical releases of all of the Star Wars movies.

My son was born not long after Revenge of the Sith was released. Though he has seen many movies with me since he was born, The Force Awakens will be his first theatrical Star Wars experience. I am ecstatic that I will be able to share this experience with him, so many years after it all began for me.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sounds great ghostmind! Sharing what you love with your kids must be a great feeling. Childless here, but I have a new nephew and look forward to that sort of thing!

I never got to see any OT SW films in the theater because I was too young. I was too young to even see Jedi in theaters, although I doubt either of my parents would have cared to take me to see it regardless because it was very rare for us to go to the theater. I remember having a stuffed yoda at one point... I was quite young though. So I have some super vague memories about it, I think I saw some of them on laserdisc but again I was really tiny.

I rediscovered star wars when I was in middle school. A friend had a VHS tape of Empire Strikes Back and I borrowed it. I then tracked down the other films and watched them as well, in order finally. A few years later the Special Edition hit theaters and I saw all 3 with a big group of friends, all 3 were really big events for us. Star Wars was a pretty big part of my life for sure.

I didn't have the experience of being around when it all originally hit, but I still feel like Star Wars is very special to me because I sort of 'discovered' it on my own, without any hype and many years after everyone pretty much stopped caring about it. When you're a kid circa 1992 or so... nobody is talking about star wars. It already happened, it's done. Kids had moved on.

I found a new Rogue One interview with Gareth Edwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQsaEJMQ2wk

And Rouge One panel highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRvwzSZu6y0

MattyG

Banned
Based on what I'm reading about what was said at the story group panel, anything is fair game in terms of Boba Fett. He may be dead, he may be alive, it just all depends on if Disney wants to do something with him. And if I was a betting man, I'd say they're definitely going to want to do something. He's a recognizable "face", and a huge opportunity for merchandising. They'd be crazy to pass up bringing him back.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is there really any question as to rather they will do more Boba Fett stuff? There will definitely be pre-RotJ stuff of him in the years to come, probably lots of it too. Most of the comics are so far set prior to his death, they could launch a Boba Comic anytime they want.

Post-RotJ I think they will have him live too. Having him escape from the Sarlacc pit is a great way to show off what a resourceful and cunning character he has the potential to be. He could really use that boost, because all of the canon material we have of him doesn't have him doing anything impressive. He mostly stands around and looks cool. He managed to tail the Falcon in Empire... that's his real claim to fame. Even the stuff the had him doing in Clone Wars was really just a setup. I'd like to see them build him up more from that.

Wouldn't be surprised if he showed up in Rebels. Hell, they are giving us Vader so that really blows the doors off what is possible. Any pre-ANH character is game. Even Luke and Leia are game, technically. They just gave us a new comic strip about a 12yo Luke. They are willing to play around in that time of his life. Fully expecting some young Leia stuff in the not too distant future.

It's only a matter of time before they give us the story behind this:

"No disintegrations."
No-Disintegrations.jpg

in before someone mentions the owen & beru death theory

My dad took me to see Star Wars in the summer of 1977. It was my first movie theater experience, and it was a defining point in my life. I have been fortunate enough to see the original theatrical releases of all of the Star Wars movies.

My son was born not long after Revenge of the Sith was released. Though he has seen many movies with me since he was born, The Force Awakens will be his first theatrical Star Wars experience. I am ecstatic that I will be able to share this experience with him, so many years after it all began for me.

I can't wait until I can take my son to see Star Wars. He's 5 in December but I think that's probably a bit young. He's seen a handful of movies at the cinema but they were all animated kids ones. I can't wait until we can geek out together.

MattyG

Banned
I was just in here and started thinking... I've never really thought about it, but there are other galaxies in the Star Wars universe. THE galaxy is just one. What's going on in those other ones? How many planets are in "ours"? I always thought that the galaxy we saw, the galaxy the Emperor took over was all there was, but it isn't.

I've never thought about the Star Wars universe this way, but it's completely changing my perspective.

Is there really any question as to rather they will do more Boba Fett stuff? There will definitely be pre-RotJ stuff of him in the years to come, probably lots of it too. Most of the comics are so far set prior to his death, they could launch a Boba Comic anytime they want.

Post-RotJ I think they will have him live too. Having him escape from the Sarlacc pit is a great way to show off what a resourceful and cunning character he has the potential to be. He could really use that boost, because all of the canon material we have of him doesn't have him doing anything impressive. He mostly stands around and looks cool. He managed to tail the Falcon in Empire... that's his real claim to fame. Even the stuff the had him doing in Clone Wars was really just a setup. I'd like to see them build him up more from that.

Wouldn't be surprised if he showed up in Rebels. Hell, they are giving us Vader so that really blows the doors off what is possible. Any pre-ANH character is game. Even Luke and Leia are game, technically. They just gave us a new comic strip about a 12yo Luke. They are willing to play around in that time of his life. Fully expecting some young Leia stuff in the not too distant future.

It's only a matter of time before they give us the story behind this:

"No disintegrations."

in before someone mentions the owen & beru death theory
They may already be giving us the story behind it in the Darth Vader comic.

Vader hired him at the end of issue 1 to hunt down Luke. Maybe he'll disintegrate someone along the way.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just realised this OT existed. Excited to be a part of what must clearly be GAFs greatest community!
Welcome!
They may already be giving us the story behind it in the Darth Vader comic.

Vader hired him at the end of issue 1 to hunt down Luke. Maybe he'll disintegrate someone along the way.
Could be. Since Vader didn't warn him about no disintegrations at that point then it's fair to assume he probably does it between then and ESB

MattyG

Banned

Whaaaat. I've never seen a map of the Star Wars galaxy before. This is blowing my mind.

(I'm sure this map isn't canon anymore though. It's still fascinating. It should be much larger also. For some reason my pictures keep getting scaled down.)

Whaaaat. I've never seen a map of the Star Wars galaxy before. This is blowing my mind.

(I'm sure this map isn't canon anymore though. It's still fascinating. It should be much larger also. For some reason my pictures keep getting scaled down.)

That galaxy map is actually mostly canon. They're not going to re-do all the background work like planet names again, and the major features (Core worlds, Unknown Regions, hyperspace routes, Hutt Space, etc) have already been referred to in the new canon.

MattyG

Banned
Just got my copy of A New Dawn and the Shakespeare books in the mail. Now I'm just waiting on Lords of the Sith (should be here May 4th or so). It's going to be a busy summer for reading!

It's weird, for some reason I'd assumed A New Dawn would be shorter than Tarkin and Heir to the Jedi, probably because it's associated with Rebels, but it's the thickest of the bunch.

Just got my copy of A New Dawn and the Shakespeare books in the mail. Now I'm just waiting on Lords of the Sith (should be here May 4th or so). It's going to be a busy summer for reading!

It's weird, for some reason I'd assumed A New Dawn would be shorter than Tarkin and Heir to the Jedi, probably because it's associated with Rebels, but it's the thickest of the bunch.

It's also the best of the bunch! Have fun!

Tecl0n

Finished Tarkin. Not bad, it kinda lost its way at the end though.
Makes sense.

Also, the ending of Darth Plagueis sucked. All that great build-up with such an awesome character, and
Palpatine kills him without a fight.
Weak.

But we knew that was the outcome since episode III.

curb

Banned
Very beginning. Maybe 5 or 6 episodes. I've been told to skip to season 3 before, but I really want to watch it all the way through.

I'd suggest trying to muscle through that first season as best as you can. It's rough in spots but for me, it's totally worth it for the later seasons. There are a couple guide images around for the "essential" episodes if you just can't make it through the early episodes.

MattyG

Banned
Kanan: The Last Padawan #1 was fantastic. Even though I knew how it would end, it still caught me off guard, and I didn't want it to end that way because
everyone in that scene leading up to it seemed so close. What a brilliant way to present Order 66.

I'm also enjoying Princess Leia a lot more than I thought I would. I was iffy on the art style at first, but it's really grown on me, and the story is excellent. It's really cool to see Disney (and Marvel, obviously) putting a lot more strong women in the Star Wars universe.
I'd suggest trying to muscle through that first season as best as you can. It's rough in spots but for me, it's totally worth it for the later seasons. There are a couple guide images around for the "essential" episodes if you just can't make it through the early episodes.
I watched about 3 episodes tonight. I'll be able to make it through the first season, it'll just take a while. I think the disconnected nature of the stories is what's hurting my enjoyment. There's no through line, it's just "hey, here's some missions Anakin and Asokah did between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith!" I've been told that they drop that in the second or third season though, so I'll stick with it.

curb

Banned
I watched about 3 episodes tonight. I'll be able to make it through the first season, it'll just take a while. I think the disconnected nature of the stories is what's hurting my enjoyment. There's no through line, it's just "hey, here's some missions Anakin and Asokah did between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith!" I've been told that they drop that in the second or third season though, so I'll stick with it.

There is a chronological viewing order out there too. It certainly won't completely solve the disconnect between stories but it may help a little. Also, I wouldn't say it's completely dropped later on but it gets a lot better.

Cheebo

Banned
Watch it in chronological order. It helps to keep things straight and moving in a bit more of a coherent manner. And yes, this is pretty much dropped about mid-way through season 3 (which is also when the show really takes off)

Air # Title
1 216 Cat and Mouse
2 116 Hidden Enemy
T The Clone Wars theatrical release
3 301 Clone Cadets
4 303 Supply Lines
5 101 Ambush
6 102 Rising Malevolence
7 103 Shadow of Malevolence
8 104 Destroy Malevolence
9 105 Rookies
10 106 Downfall of a Droid
11 107 Duel of the Droids
12 108 Bombad Jedi
13 109 Cloak of Darkness
14 110 Lair of Grievous
15 111 Dooku Captured
16 112 The Gungan General
17 113 Jedi Crash
18 114 Defenders of Peace
19 115 Trespass
20 117 Blue Shadow Virus
21 118 Mystery of a Thousand Moons
22 119 Storm over Ryloth
23 120 Innocents of Ryloth
24 121 Liberty on Ryloth
25 201 Holocron Heist
26 202 Cargo of Doom
27 203 Children of the Force
28 217 Bounty Hunters
29 218 The Zillo Beast
30 219 The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
31 204 Senate Spy
32 205 Landing at Point Rain
33 206 Weapons Factory
34 207 Legacy of Terror
35 208 Brain Invaders
36 209 Grievous Intrigue
37 210 The Deserter
38 211 Lightsaber Lost
39 212 The Mandalore Plot
40 213 Voyage of Temptation
41 214 Duchess of Mandalore
42 220 Death Trap
43 221 R2 Come Home
44 222 Lethal Trackdown
45 305 Corruption
46 306 The Academy
47 307 Assassin
48 302 ARC Troopers
49 304 Sphere of Influence
50 308 Evil Plans
51 122 Hostage Crisis
52 309 Hunt for Ziro
53 310 Heroes on Both Side
54 311 Pursuit of Peace
55 215 Senate Murders
56 312 Nightsisters
57 313 Monster
58 314 Witches of the Mist
59 315 Overlords
60 316 Altar of Mortis
61 317 Ghosts of Mortis
62 318 The Citadel
63 319 Counter Attack
64 320 Citadel Rescue
65 321 Padawan Lost
66 322 Wookiee Hunt
67 401 Water War
68 402 Gungan Attack
69 403 Prisoners
70 404 Shadow Warrior
71 405 Mercy Mission
72 406 Nomad Droids
73 407 Darkness on Umbara
74 408 The General
75 409 Plan of Dissent
76 410 Carnage of Krell
77 411 Kidnapped
78 412 Slaves of the Republic
79 413 Escape from Kadavo
80 414 A Friend In Need
81 415 Deception
82 416 Friends and Enemies
83 417 The Box
84 418 Crisis on Naboo
85 419 Massacre
86 420 Bounty
87 421 Brothers
88 422 Revenge
89 502 A War on Two Fronts
90 503 Front Runners
91 504 The Soft War
92 505 Tipping Points
93 506 The Gathering
94 507 A Test of Strength
95 508 Bound for Rescue
96 509 A Necessary Bond
97 510 Secret Weapons
98 511 A Sunny Day in the Void
99 512 Missing in Action
100 513 Point of No Return
101 501 Revival
102 514 Eminence
103 515 Shades of Reason
104 516 The Lawless
105 517 Sabotage
106 518 The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
107 519 To Catch a Jedi
108 520 The Wrong Jedi
109 601 The Unknown
110 602 Conspiracy
111 603 Fugitive
112 604 Orders
113 605 An Old Friend
114 606 The Rise of Clovis
115 607 Crisis at the Heart
116 608 The Disappeared
117 609 The Disappeared: Pt. II
118 610 The Lost One
119 611 Voices
120 612 Destiny
121 613 Sacrifice
http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

curb

Banned

MattyG

Banned
I'm reading Tarkin and just got the part where
the Carrion Spike is shipjacked.
Tarkin and Vader keep talking about hyperspace travel and saying they a have to travel "buoy to buoy".
I guess I really don't understand how hperspace travel works. I thought that you could jump to hyperspace at any time, like the Millenium Falcon does? Or can only ships with certain components do that?

I've been reading the Heir to the Empire comics on Marvel Unlimited at the moment. Makes me really want to read the books again but I guess I don't really need to now.

I'm reading Tarkin and just got the part where
the Carrion Spike is shipjacked.
Tarkin and Vader keep talking about hyperspace travel and saying they a have to travel "buoy to buoy".
I guess I really don't understand how hperspace travel works. I thought that you could jump to hyperspace at any time, like the Millenium Falcon does? Or can only ships with certain components do that?

This is a bit iffy, since it's unclear how the whole thing works in the new canon, but under the old EU, hyperspace buoys were ancient navigational technology that became obsolete in most of the galaxy with the invention of the navicomputer. Standard, civilian navicomputers need to connect to hyperspace relays (basically space internet wi-fi hotspots) before each jump to download the latest navigational data in order to safely plot the jump. In that particular scene in the novel, Tarkin and Vader are stuck with a standard navicomputer in a region of space with no relays, hence they have to use the ancient buoy system to navigate safely.

MattyG

Banned
This is a bit iffy, since it's unclear how the whole thing works in the new canon, but under the old EU, hyperspace buoys were ancient navigational technology that became obsolete in most of the galaxy with the invention of the navicomputer. Standard, civilian navicomputers need to connect to hyperspace relays (basically space internet wi-fi hotspots) before each jump to download the latest navigational data in order to safely plot the jump. In that particular scene in the novel, Tarkin and Vader are stuck with a standard navicomputer in a region of space with no relays, hence they have to use the ancient buoy system to navigate safely.
Yeah, I'm a little further in and your explanation fits the way they keep talking about it. Sounds like they may have kept the old EU way of things.

Ezalc

Just posted this in the trailer thread forgetting about this thread. Anyway, I thought this was pretty funny. It's Blake Lively talking about how she has only seen a certain Star Wars movie. QuestLove's reaction got me.
http://youtu.be/rDlT95O6o7Q

This kind of thing happened to me when a friend said he was a fan of star wars but had only seen the prequels. Basically everybody present at the time ripped him a new asshole, and still do.

injurai

Banned
This kind of thing happened to me when a friend said he was a fan of star wars but had only seen the prequels. Basically everybody present at the time ripped him a new asshole, and still do.

The people that introduced the person have more fault than the person themselves. Friends don't let friends start with the prequels.

BFIB

Watching TCW, and I'm skipping arcs that really don't interest me (anything to do with Jar Jar, Padme) and mostly focusing on the stuff that revolves with the Jedi.

Just got to the return of
Darth Maul. Why wasn't this done in Ep II? He was such a great villain

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
latest Star Wars comic is out. Good Read. Love the main Star Wars Comic line so far.

ghostmind

It looks like Star Wars Card Trader is about to be released for Android.

Really curious how they deal with the cards that are sold out on iOS.

Try searching for "Vintage Han" on eBay, if you would like to see the potential impact.

curb

Banned

Try searching for "Vintage Han" on eBay, if you would like to see the potential impact.

Have they said the two platforms would share card pools? I know nothing about their Android plans but my guess would be that the pool of cards would be separate from iOS and that they'd start fresh with the rare cards.

Rootbeer

Banned

Finally T__T

At last the android app is revealing itself. At least it can have revenge on my wallet.

Also people selling the digital cards on ebay is so hilarious to me. I really like the cards but man the lengths some people will go to! The prices are out of control too

curb

Banned
Finally T__T

At last the android app is revealing itself. At least it can have revenge on my wallet.

I've been fiddling with it since it came out and I'm happy to say that I haven't spent a cent yet. Never did get that X-wing for the Force Unleashed set though.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've been fiddling with it since it came out and I'm happy to say that I haven't spent a cent yet. Never did get that X-wing for the Force Unleashed set though.

I've spent $20 :(

But... it was iTunes credit that I got for Christmas :p I guess I can rationalize it that way o_O

$20 is nothing in that app though. $10 gets 50,000 credits which doesn't buy much. :( they need to double the amount you get when you spend real money.

Even if you check in every day and get your 50,000 credits every 7 days you still run out quickly... the card distribution is way too erratic

only pros like ghostmind can get (nearly all) of them :p

curb

Banned
I've spent $20 :(

But... it was iTunes credit that I got for Christmas :p I guess I can rationalize it that way o_O

$20 is nothing in that app though. $10 gets 50,000 credits which doesn't buy much. :( they need to double the amount you get when you spend real money.

Even if you check in every day and get your 50,000 credits every 7 days you still run out quickly... the card distribution is way too erratic

only pros like ghostmind can get (nearly all) of them :p

Yeah, I ain't got that money or time. I did notice that the credit prices were ridiculous and I am now getting a lot of the same white cards all the time. Still fun to look through the cards though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah, I ain't got that money or time. I did notice that the credit prices were ridiculous and I am now getting a lot of the same white cards all the time. Still fun to look through the cards though.

yeah if you just want to collect the base cards and do some very light trading you can easily collect the full set in around a week or so. For free.

for a while you could even get the force awakens cards for free. but they discontinued access to those.

with time you can collect the bordered variants of the base cards for free as well, very slowly, with blue being the next rarest after white, followed by red, then yellow, and finally by gold I think... though I've yet to come across any of those.

But it's not much fun to collect the same exact cards that just have a different border.

We need more card sets. Not just 3 or so very rare cards per day. I want more 'waves' of cards. That may well be coming.

Top Bottom