• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels |OT| It feels like the Original Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abounder

Banned
The Imperial Commander's beard and helmet looked dumb, but the show was fun nonetheless. Hopefully the villains will add reasons to tune in just like the previous series

The tone, writing, characters and plot were decent but the character models are almost too poor for me to keep watching. My wife, not a critical judge of CGI on any level, asked me if this was a show from the mid-90s when she came in the room.

Darklord

Banned
I saw it tonight. I liked it actually! Surprising cause everything leading up to it made it look like total shit. It really does feel like the original trilogy or like an older Star Wars game before the prequels. The homages to the original trilogy were super strong too. I hope they don't lean too much into that.

Yeah, the shows CG is really.. eh. But worse are some of the character designs. I hate Ezra's design, and can barely tolerate Kanan.

Thankfully it delivers in every other aspect.

I thought it had more of an OT feel as well. Early impressions of the cast were solid and I'm looking forward to reading the prequel novel. Hopefully the rest of the series is as good.

Wait. No link to the book in the op?

Required reading.

I'll fix that up.

That's a bold claim! I might have to watch it now and see.

I saw it tonight. I liked it actually! Surprising cause everything leading up to it made it look like total shit. It really does feel like the original trilogy or like an older Star Wars game before the prequels. The homages to the original trilogy were super strong too. I hope they don't lean too much into that.

Glad to hear it mate. Loved the "A New Hope" nod from Obi.

I'm not understanding the dislike for the animations or character models. The quality isnt bad for a budgeted weekly series.

Is Kanan more difficult to watch than Anakin or Obiwan in TCW? Not to me.

curb

Banned
All that nostalgia pandering.

I was okay with most of it. I'll admit I got a little emotional at some of those iconic musical cues being worked into the soundtrack.

Overall I thought it was a fairly strong opening. A lot of my initial concerns seem to bother me less now and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

All that being said, I still miss Clone Wars.

Cronox

Banned
What is the deal with Star Wars animated series having terrible aesthetics? Clone wars was visually unwatchable to me, and this is only the smallest improvement. There are so many examples of good (or at least not unpleasant) aesthetics in animated and CG shows, I just don't get it.

Boem

Droids in Distress was pretty enjoyable. A very light episode with some fun references.
I felt C3PO and R2D2 were introduced a bit too quickly, especially since it's so early in the series, but the end with Bail Organa made up for it. Gives the show a bit more context in the larger Star Wars saga, and some hints as to where it might be going in the future. The Star Tours bit was fun as well.

There were some scenes that looked especially pretty. Some great animation here and there and some great use of colour as well. It's still not a show I'll watch every week, but fans of this sort of thing will get a lot out of it.

WillyFive

What is the deal with Star Wars animated series having terrible aesthetics? Clone wars was visually unwatchable to me, and this is only the smallest improvement. There are so many examples of good (or at least not unpleasant) aesthetics in animated and CG shows, I just don't get it.

It seemed to me that Clone Wars wanted to recreate Genndy Tarkatovsky's art style for the 2D animated Clone Wars in 3D, but failed spectacularly.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It seemed to me that Clone Wars wanted to recreate Genndy Tarkatovsky's art style for the 2D animated Clone Wars in 3D, but failed spectacularly.

Yeah, in CW, Obi-Wan is thin and angular, while in Rebels, he's rounder and heavier.

TheXbox

I can't wait to watch this but nothing will ever convince me that the fucking slingshot thing isn't the worst. Quit pussyfooting Disney and give that kid a blaster.

Not

Banned
Man, I just watched a 43-minute-long cliché

Also, that main character's design is so terrible. The kid I mean.

I can't wait to watch this but nothing will ever convince me that the fucking slingshot thing isn't the worst. Quit pussyfooting Disney and give that kid a blaster.

I haven't even watched the show yet and the lightslingshot is already a problem for me.

Not

Banned
Well fuck...90% of the time a cool character design sells me on a series.

image.php

RE_Player

I can't get over the bad animation. I wasn't the hugest Clone Wars fan but it looked a hell of a lot better than this.

He hardly uses it in the opening episode. Not a big deal. Though it does seem unnecessary to have it in the first place.

I really enjoyed it. Not amazing, but I was more entertained than anything from the first session of TCW.

One thing though: It's really weird how everyone's eyes glow. I thought it was only Ezra as a weird way to show he's using the force without knowing, but then I realized it was like that for everyone with brightly colored eyes.

I really enjoyed it. Based on the original reveals I thought the characters would end up being annoying but that's not the case.

I think one of the reasons I'll probably end up enjoying this a lot more than Clone Wars is the simple fact that these characters are new and I don't know where they are headed. Sure, we know where the Star Wars Saga is headed but it's going to be interesting seeing how these characters fit into the large story. With Clone Wars, most of the major players fates were already well known.

Also, I had no issues with the animation whatsoever. I don't think it's better or worse than Clone Wars. I wish they had selected a better style but it's not offensive in anyway either.

Just watched the premiere, it was pretty decent. I would have really liked it if they just had halfway decent character designs that didn't feel like they were straight out of Reboot and the main character wasn't annoying. Everything else was awesome. I'll probably keep watching this.

Everyone knows the first episode has been available via WatchDisneyXD for a few days, right? The app and the website? Note I'm talking about Droids in Distress, not Spark of Rebellion

IpsoFacto

Saw the first episode, it was OK-ish.

Definately did a better impression that the first Clone Wars episodes. Glad to see that despite being a more Disney-fied SW, it doesn't shy away form the CW-level of violence.

Kannan, Hera are very interesting characters and almost made me wish the series was all about them. I'm split over Ezra.

Wookie designs were horrendous. Storm Troopers on the other hand, look really, really good!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I said this in the other thread, but I hated the music in this. It was just so goddamned lazy to lift from the Williams score throughout the entire episode.

DodgerSan

Of all the things to be hung up on...

He gets a blaster. And a lightsaber.

I think it makes perfect in-universe sense for such a weapon to exist, and it makes equal sense that a kid living on the streets would have such a thing.

Don't see the problem.

Boem

I knew I recognised the transport robot from somewhere, he's from Star Tours in MGM Studios!

And he's also voiced by Pee-Wee Herman, just like in the original attraction! I like that they're still doing those small winks to the fans even though they don't need to. The guy just has a couple of lines in the ep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom