• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic F2Play launching Nov. 15th

Where's the cheapest place to buy this now if you want to pay money just you can Sprint?
You can buy the game for $10 or buy $5 worth of Cartel Coins to get Sprint at level 1 along with the other perks of having a Preferred account.

If you don't want to pay for anything you will get Sprint at level 14 as it was before patch 1.2.

I redeemed my CE code but it says I have no active subscription?

Under Subscription on the website it says this:

You have 29 days of play time remaining. You must sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code before you can play. If you sign up for a recurring subscription, you will be billed automatically at the end of your current remaining play time.

Yep. In order to get your free 30 days you have to sign up for a subscription. You can cancel after setting one up though and it'll just ride out the free days without charging.

Cystm

After Google searching, I think you can just set up a subscription plan, "activate" the 30 days and then cancel right away without being charged to work around whatever is going on.

Edit: So beaten.

Yep. In order to get your free 30 days you have to sign up for a subscription. You can cancel after setting one up though and it'll just ride out the free days without charging.

After Google searching, I think you can just set up a subscription plan, "activate" the 30 days and then cancel right away without being charged to work around whatever is going on.

Edit: So beaten.

Thanks. Now I just need to repair my client.

HBroward

Reminder, download the client now if you want to actually be able to play by Thursday, the servers will get hit pretty hard I imagine.

I'll probably give it another go. I heard so many good things about the IA story that I want to finally finish my Chiss IA's story. And maybe Sith Inquistor, since I am pretty far along with her.

Think I'll try bounty hunter. I already have a sith inq at max lvl. I just hope there is a lot of people playing. I remember having issues doing heroics in the later worlds due to lack of people there.

The day is upon us...so who is going to play it?

I'll probably be jumping back in with some friends. We cancelled back in August when Fall semester came around, and we're still pretty preoccupied with exams/studying/etc., so the F2P restrictions don't bother us too much. We may end up resubbing some time around December if we have time to actually play.

VandalD

The day is upon us...so who is going to play it?
Might as well give it another shot. Only played during the first few weeks of launch. I would hope it's a better game by now. I'm sure the story is still stuck behind typical MMO grindfest quests and travel times, but at least I won't feel like I need to play to justify a sub cost.

Yeah I resubbed to get the bonus cartel coins, and havent played since launch. I thought I may get buyers remorse but I had a ton of fun, and am glad I tried the game again. After GW2, I actually like the voiced quests aspects.

There seems to be a dramatic lack of buzz, and I have to wonder if they'll look back and regret making F2P too restrictive, since its clear they really want people to "value a subscription" vs "here get a F2P game like GW2, and hopefully sheer volume via viral word of mouth makes us money even if a small percent pay money". edit - and I emphasize "at launch" because I would have thought release date would by far be the easiest way to build buzz and get coverage (vs a slow start and gradual removal of F2P restrictions over time)

Things like having just 2 character slots and slower xp (and no rest xp) seem like big restrictions to me personally. As someone that can only really have a few hours gaming a week, $15 a month is too high yet ironically the F2P slow xp/no rest would mean it sounds like I would get frustrated with F2P.

VandalD

Things like having just 2 character slots and slower xp (and no rest xp) seem like big restrictions to me personally.
Oh, wow. Just looked into that. You get 25% less experience and it takes 25% more experience to level up. So you level half as fast. Pretty shitty thing to monetize, in my opinion. Why would someone want to get more XP and skip sidequests if they were fun? It just says "play less of the shitty parts of our game if you subscribe today!"

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Oh, wow. Just looked into that. You get 25% less experience and it takes 25% more experience to level up. So you level half as fast. Pretty shitty thing to monetize, in my opinion. Why would someone want to get more XP and skip sidequests if they were fun? It just says "play less of the shitty parts of our game if you subscribe today!"

Yeah, that's another thing that I find fairly heinous, especially since you can't do anything about it other than sub. If you could at least unlock regular XP gains/requirements with cartel coins it wouldn't be that big a deal, but as is it's just another "sub or gtfo" mechanic.

Cystm

Yeah, that's another thing that I find fairly heinous, especially since you can't do anything about it other than sub. If you could at least unlock regular XP gains/requirements with cartel coins it wouldn't be that big a deal, but as is it's just another "sub or gtfo" mechanic.

A lot of people only have a very limited amount of time to put into an MMO. With this model they can buy an hours worth of bonus XP and actually feel like they are getting their monies worth. Alternatively they can buy a 3 hour XP bonus pack if they have that much time to put in. If you have more time than that consistantly, then you should sub. If not, then pay at your own pace.

So, it's not really "sub or gtfo" but pay small sums based on whatever works for your own personal preference.

Alur

Think I'll try bounty hunter. I already have a sith inq at max lvl. I just hope there is a lot of people playing. I remember having issues doing heroics in the later worlds due to lack of people there.

This should be fine. Lots of leveling folks, and lots of folks on the servers at 50 now. Usually about 400-500 per night on Imperial fleet at peak time across two instances. With the influx of F2P folks it'll probably be even better for leveling.

I am genuinely curious how many folks they'll pick up, though.

Trigger

I want to play, but customer support hasn't been very helpful. Forgot my security question answer and havent heard back from them in over a week.

Alur

I honestly don't know how to help you there Trigger. I feel bad that you are locked out.

I do have a question though, do you have more than one computer? I have two accounts and when I log in from a different computer, it always asks me a secret question...this may seem useless, but often it's a different one because there are 3 or 5 depending on how many you picked. So if you tried to login from your phone to the website, or your iPad or what have you, once servers go back up you might get a question you actually remember the answer to.

Outside of that, I have no idea.

Trigger

No, I only use one computer. I'll try badgering customer support some more and in a worst case scenario just try starting another account or something.

ShaneB

I kinda want this for myself, lol. Been playing for like a week now and I love it, but right now my ocd cuts in and has me doing every quest I see and because of that it often feels like I'm overleveled while questing.

Milly79

I want to play, but customer support hasn't been very helpful. Forgot my security question answer and havent heard back from them in over a week.

Call them via Skype for free. Sounds like you're trying email? Pretty sure they will only do it over the phone.

Cystm

Darth Hater has a nice summary of patch 1.5.

Dulfy has a complete guide to Cartel Market items.

Some personal highlights:

igOH3IQC8oHV2.jpg
iCWmYZ1RcA4xb.jpg

iNhlHScGYay3W.jpg
i9Lk2IKGrryYl.jpg

Miker

How big would the download be? I'm ever so barely interested in playing, but if I have to download 50 gigs just to try it out, I'll just buy Kotor II instead.

Azih

Considering the restrictions on 'completely' free players. I think dropping 5 bucks to get to Preferred Status is almost a necessity.

I think it's about 25 gigs Miker.

kmz

Neo Member
Considering the restrictions on 'completely' free players. I think dropping 5 bucks to get to Preferred Status is almost a necessity.

I think it's "only" about 12 gigs or so for the regular game. If you want to do PTS (test server) as well, that will approximately double the space requirements.

Kimaka

I completely forgot about this. I'm going to try it out to see how good the stories are.

Edit: Is the character creator less robust than I remember or are the deeper options restricted to subscribers?

Thoraxes

Neat. I made a bunch of level 1 alts to reserve names in the launch period, and despite being a lowly preferred, I get access to all 5 characters.

VandalD

Neat. I made a bunch of level 1 alts to reserve names in the launch period, and despite being a lowly preferred, I get access to all 5 characters.
For now, they've said. So don't get used to it. I have some mid levels I have to rename thanks to the huge amount of server condensing they did. Kinda sucks.

Miker

I think it's "only" about 12 gigs or so for the regular game. If you want to do PTS (test server) as well, that will approximately double the space requirements.

I expected about as much. And I'm gonna guess that 12 gigs is only gonna go up. I think I'll pass for now, given that I don't have much time anyway.

Necrovex

I played a little of TOR, I forgot how much I enjoyed this game. I might subscribe and quickly knock out the imperial agent storyline. $15 isn't too much, and I should prepare myself for that monthly fee when FFXIV 2.0 comes out.

Also, did the patch automatically add in the high texture pack?

Top Bottom