• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic F2Play launching Nov. 15th

Yasae

Banned
Quick question: I was subscribed for a month before they went f2p and they emailed me saying I had some cartel coins. Do I get to use those even if I go back to TOR and don't subscribe?

I played a little of TOR, I forgot how much I enjoyed this game. I might subscribe and quickly knock out the imperial agent storyline. $15 isn't too much, and I should prepare myself for that monthly fee when FFXIV 2.0 comes out.

Also, did the patch automatically add in the high texture pack?

Probably. It may be what has caused my performance to tank.

Quick question: I was subscribed for a month before they went f2p and they emailed me saying I had some cartel coins. Do I get to use those even if I go back to TOR and don't subscribe?
If you aren't subscribed currently then you don't get those until you resub by December 20th.

I'm curious to see how the F2P side of this is, so I'm going to give it a try. I tried it for quite a bit when it was in beta and it never really clicked with me. I'm guessing it still won't but I'm curious to see how its changed since I last played before it even launched.

Gamble

Ok so I'm still a little confused, I was a subscriber who didn't renew so if I resub I am preferred, the preferred has all the restrictions of the F2P with the added benefits of what has been outlined in the initial post? and there is no way to just get benefits of being a subscriber? I'm pretty sure I'm reading that wrong....right?

Yasae

Banned
If you aren't subscribed currently then you don't get those until you resub by December 20th.
Yep. And I have 900 coins waiting for me too.

O5VeS.jpg

I find that really underhanded and cheap. Give me the coins that I "earned" and then let me decide if I want more - simple business practice.

kmz

Neo Member
Ok so I'm still a little confused, I was a subscriber who didn't renew so if I resub I am preferred, the preferred has all the restrictions of the F2P with the added benefits of what has been outlined in the initial post? and there is no way to just get benefits of being a subscriber? I'm pretty sure I'm reading that wrong....right?

If you actually resub then you're just a subscriber and you don't have to worry about preferred or whatever. Preferred is if you don't subscribe but you had subscribed before (or bought something on the Cartel Market).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Figured I would try the game out again. Really hard to get back into an MMORPG and have like 20+ abilities to relearn. But what makes it even harder? When Bioware fucks you over and asks for money just so you can have all the hotbars you used to. I just want a hotbar running down the right side of the screen so I can actually use my abilities for Chrissake.

Artifacts are purples right?

Before I quit my consular, he was decked in full pvp gear. If I reinstall and play does that all just become unequipped?

Also eager to buy this:

Even though its some level 10 inquisitor gear, it looks loads better than any garbage consular set I've ever equipped, except for my pvp set, which still doesn't show any sign of my morality.

Yasae

Banned
If you actually resub then you're just a subscriber and you don't have to worry about preferred or whatever. Preferred is if you don't subscribe but you had subscribed before (or bought something on the Cartel Market).
What are the benefits of preferred? They seem to be nearly nonexistent.

Won

Artifacts are purples right?

Before I quit my consular, he was decked in full pvp gear. If I reinstall and play does that all just become unequipped?

If you euqipped it before it should still work.

Yep. And I have 900 coins waiting for me too.

O5VeS.jpg

I find that really underhanded and cheap. Give me the coins that I "earned" and then let me decide if I want more - simple business practice.

I have at least 1500 points waiting. :/

The ironic thing is that it would be a nice amount to get the F2P ball rolling and get me playing.
Meanwhile, looking at the Cartel Market, I have no idea what to do with them as subscriber.

What are the benefits of preferred? They seem to be nearly nonexistent.
http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Former subscribers and Free to Play players who made any purchase will get preferred status rank
As a Preferred Status Player, you will gain the following benefits compared to Free-to-Play Players:
• The Sprint ability at Level 1
• Access to your Cargo Hold (an 80 item Player Bank)
• Access to Secure Trade
• The ability to send Mail, including one (1) attachment
• Increased allowance for chat message frequencies in Public chat channels (such as /general)
• An increased Credits Cap
• Access to the Who List
• Three (3) additional Sale Slots on the Galactic Trade Network (for a total of 5)
• One (1) additional active Crew Skill Slot (for a total of 2)
• Reduced skill point respecialization costs
• Increased Server queue priority
Subscribers who return as Preferred Status Players will find that they retain any Cargo Hold and Inventory expansions they had unlocked, any Legacy Unlock or Perk they have gained (including Species) and can continue to use any Artifact equipment that was bound to them previously.

Yasae

Banned
The ironic thing is that it would be a nice amount to get the F2P ball rolling and get me playing.
Meanwhile, looking at the Cartel Market, I have no idea what to do with them as subscriber.
Yep, it's just bad business. Hell, why not give everyone a small amount of coins to start off with so they can feel some of the benefit and get hooked on that? Yet BioWare and EA act like creditors with the customers being indebted to them.

They certainly could take a page from Valve's book if they had the same subsidizing powers (Steam), but this was their shot at a cash cow. They failed and they want consumers to pay a lot to get rid of steep restrictions. I'm finding the quickbar slot nerf increasingly stupid, for example, rather than making me want to pay - is that effective business? Is it effective if you have to be annoying to get people to give you money? Not in the case of a f2p game and definitely not in the case of an MMO.

Once these dumb shits learn what proper incentives are then maybe we'll have a decent earner on our hands.

EDIT: Thanks for the breakdown Harry. So it's slightly better than free.

I tried to but it didn't work lol. I went to reset password or whatever it was but it said servers were down.

When I try to login with my origin account it says "login failed", if I try to registered I get an error in my nickname (probably because its already in use with my origin account), if I try to recover the password they say they sent the mail but I get nothing.

Don't really feel like making a new account just for this -.-

Hellraider

Is anyone else downloading right now?What speeds do you get?I have been for about an hour at the range of 0-10kbps which is ridiculously bad!

Zaph

Huh, was considering re-downloading to finish my Sith Warrior story but this looks like the worst F2P transition in history.

Figured I would try the game out again. Really hard to get back into an MMORPG and have like 20+ abilities to relearn. But what makes it even harder? When Bioware fucks you over and asks for money just so you can have all the hotbars you used to. I just want a hotbar running down the right side of the screen so I can actually use my abilities for Chrissake.

I was thinking of giving this another shot, but this is just amazing! LOL not now.

zugzug

can preferred members log onto 2 characters on each server and does it lock those two as your chosen characters.

Or can you log onto 2 characters on every server?

It has slammed 20 of my characters onto 1 server and 11 on another plus 4 on aussie server and 4 on Euro server.

can preferred members log onto 2 characters on each server and does it lock those two as your chosen characters.

Or can you log onto 2 characters on every server?

It has slammed 20 of my characters onto 1 server and 11 on another plus 4 on aussie server and 4 on Euro server.
Per server I think but at the moment you can access all of your characters.

MechaX

I was about to start downloading this, but it really seems like they are trying to punish the F2P folks, at least from reading the differences at an initial glance.

So stuff like the Preferred Members having increased XP, Credits, Sprint, and having a Cargo Hold inventory (I don't know if there are other bank-like areas in the game or if this Cargo Hold is it), would the lack of these things really be a hindrance for F2P people?

DTKT

I was about to start downloading this, but it really seems like they are trying to punish the F2P folks, at least from reading the differences at an initial glance.

So stuff like the Preferred Members having increased XP, Credits, Sprint, and having a Cargo Hold inventory (I don't know if there are other bank-like areas in the game or if this Cargo Hold is it), would the lack of these things really be a hindrance for F2P people?

The 50% reduced XP gain might be a real turn off for most players. I mean, are you going to end up under leveled even if you complete most quests in a zone?

MechaX

The 50% reduced XP gain might be a real turn off for most players. I mean, are you going to end up under leveled even if you complete most quests in a zone?

Wait, I'm sorry, I must have missed that part, a 50% XP reduction? In an MMO?

Uh... I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, since I was actually pretty excited to play through the Imperial Agent story, but... whoa.

DTKT

Wait, I'm sorry, I must have missed that part, a 50% XP reduction? In an MMO?

Uh... I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, since I was actually pretty excited to play through the Imperial Agent story, but... whoa.

If I read the info correctly, it's -25% because you can't get rested XP and another 25% less because you aren't a subscriber.

Heysoos

When I try to login with my origin account it says "login failed", if I try to registered I get an error in my nickname (probably because its already in use with my origin account), if I try to recover the password they say they sent the mail but I get nothing.

Don't really feel like making a new account just for this -.-

You should be logging in with your Origin account as they should be the same thing. I believe at least. They might just been getting hammered.

Heysoos

If I read the info correctly, it's -25% because you can't get rested XP and another 25% less because you aren't a subscriber.

Rested XP really isn't that big of a deal, unless you're logged out for days at a time. That said you really shouldn't be underleveled since F2Pers will probably have more incentive to do the bonus series in planets.

Zaph

So is this worth a gander just to play the storyline?
If you can get a friend to play with you (the non-story stuff can be very dull), then yes. Approach it more like a Borderlands style game rather than a proper MMO.

Bear in mind the quality of the storyline varies wildly between classes - so google them first as there are quite a few good breakdowns of what to expect from each. The Imperial Agent is quite highly regarded (I definitely enjoyed it, but it takes a while to ramp up) and I also had some fun playing a lightside Sith Warrior.

Most people I see praise the imperial agents as one of Bioware's best-written stories in a long time.
It is pretty good - especially as the sheer magnitude of a mid-game choice dawns on you. But unfortunately, due to the constraints of it being an MMO, you soon realise how little consequence that decision had on the rest of your story.

25% reduction, nope. For the most part in TOR you will be overleveled if you do lot of quests as the planets have abundance of side quests along with the heroic areas and bonus quests and bonus series. You can skip a lot of the quests on a planet and be easily over leveled. The reduction will slow down players especially near the level cap, so that will prob be annoying for some.

Necrovex

If you can get a friend to play with you (the non-story stuff can be very dull), then yes. Approach it more like a Borderlands style game rather than a proper MMO.

Bear in mind the quality of the storyline varies wildly between classes - so google them first as there are quite a few good breakdowns of what to expect from each. The Imperial Agent is quite highly regarded (I definitely enjoyed it, but it takes a while to ramp up) and I also had some fun playing a lightside Sith Warrior.

How was that experience? I thought about playing as a light-side Sith Inquistor, but I decided a sadistic Sith Queen instead.

Heysoos

So is this worth a gander just to play the storyline?

I would think so. From my experience:

Trooper - Starts off strong, drops off a little in the middle, and somewhat picks up during Chapter 3. Mass Effect ish.

Consular - Chapter 1 & 2 are kind of a drag, but it really ends strong, IMO.

Jedi Knight - Pretty consistent throughout. What you would expect from a Jedi Knight, save the Republic story. Very much KOTOR 3ish.

I'm not done with Smuggler, but so far it's been a blast, plus the class itself is really fun.

I hear Imperial Agent is really "James Bond"ish type of story. See a lot of praise for it. I hear Warrior and Bounty Hunter are good too. As for Sith Inquisitor, I hear it kind of suffers the same as Jedi Consulars. In that they're kind of slow, and not so much in front line kind of story.

How was that experience? I thought about playing as a light-side Sith Inquistor, but I decided a sadistic Sith Queen instead.

You basically are trying to hide your good tendencies and rework the empire to be good from the inside out. Any jedi you run into turns out to be an asshole and just wants to fight you, when you insist on not fighting. Twi'lek chick thinks you're a cool dude.

On another note, when does the level cap raise come out? I remember them mentioning a new planet and 5 more levels at e3. Might resub if I get access to that.

VandalD

Started up a Jedi Knight (or more accurately, playing one I made during my free month that I barely got anywhere with) since that's supposedly the closest to an actual KotOR 3, or so I've read. Finished a quest, and my only "choice" for a reward is one that only subscribers can get. It's just a "simple medium credit box," which I assume holds credits, but damn. They really want you to subscribe instead of paying your way gradually. There also seems to be no way to get more than two character slots other than subscribing.

Zaph

You know, I quite enjoyed it and completing it is the only thing really drawing me back to game (stopped playing around level 40 as by that time I had already finished my Agent's story).

Without spoiling it too much, Bioware really gives you some room to be 'good', or to at least do the best you can under bad circumstances. The dialogue and story it opens up with your Twilek companion is also pretty decent.

On another note, when does the level cap raise come out? I remember them mentioning a new planet and 5 more levels at e3. Might resub if I get access to that.
Any word on how they're handling the level cap raise? Will it be a completely independent side-story or are they actually going to continue your character's storyline?

I've been really curious to know how they're going to deal with everyone's choices at the end of their story. Judging by the game's lack of success I don't really see them going to the effort to adding variations to the story based on your 1-50 choices. Maybe they'll just hit a 'reset button' and have one canon per class?

Necrovex

You basically are trying to hide your good tendencies and rework the empire to be good from the inside out. Any jedi you run into turns out to be an asshole and just wants to fight you, when you insist on not fighting. Twi'lek chick thinks you're a cool dude.

The bolded sounds really interesting, almost to the point where I am interested in playing the Sith Warrior.

Hell, I think I will subscribe to TOR. I hate the 25% reduction in XP, and I do want to finish the imperial agent story (light side) and maybe complete the Sith Inquisitor story (dark side).

Cystm

They intend on adding so much more to the cartel market. Given enough feedback, I'm sure they will add that soon if they aren't already intending on doing so.

Cystm

I just want to remind everyone to check the OP for FAQ. I don't get off work until late tonight to really answer much directly.

Nearly everything I have seen asked on this page is either in the OP or linked to via the OP.

RPGCrazied

The imperial agent is pretty good, almost level 13. Can't wait to get sprint back. And I only have 2 action bars, and it seems enough for right now.

Varna

It starts out kind of good actually. But eventually the quest and story missions don't leave much room for interpretation making it feel like no matter what you do you are evil.

Just a heads up, if you are going to play Imperial Agent I would definitely go with operative. My first character was the smuggler equivalent of operative (scoundrel) so decided to go sniper for my imperial agent but my goodness it's so boring. Enjoying the story line but can't convince myself to endure that gameplay, and I'm already to level 25 so I don't really want to restart. Sort of stuck in limbo with this guy.

Others may disagree.

Heysoos

Just a heads up, if you are going to play Imperial Agent I would definitely go with operative. My first character was the smuggler equivalent of operative (scoundrel) so decided to go sniper for my imperial agent but my goodness it's so boring. Enjoying the story line but can't convince myself to endure that gameplay, and I'm already to level 25 so I don't really want to restart. Sort of stuck in limbo with this guy.

Others may disagree.

Really? I'm finding Gunslinger(Sniper) so much fun. It's extremely strong. Though if you prefer stealth, operative could be better. Plus they're one of the best healers around in PVP.

Top Bottom