• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft II Delayed to 2010

I'm not even that excited for it anymore. Just the prospect of waiting another year for the first game in a trilogy of delayed games upsets me. It's just a big joke now.

Minsc

Gold Member
Jibber Hack said:
I'm not even that excited for it anymore. Just the prospect of waiting another year for the first game in a trilogy of delayed games upsets me. It's just a big joke now.

If it's any consolation, all the sequels/expansions will be released approx. 1 year apart, so once it gets rolling it will really get moving. We'll get back to back to back SC2 games. <3

That and the game editor puts Warcraft 3's to shame. That will be a sight to behold down the road.

Ettie

Jibber Hack said:

This kinda. I'm just not that big of a SC fan I guess.

Really don't want this to hurt D3's release either...

Loxley

I can't believe some of you honestly think Blizzard delayed it because of MW2 :lol

Don't get me wrong, MW2 is going to be huge, but if you honestly think Blizzard was going to lose some serious sales because of it, I would like you to meet the entire population of South Korea.

As for those of you worried that this might effect D3's release...why? You do know they have two separate development teams working on each game, right? They'll probably give more info on the status of both at Blizzcon in a couple weeks.

fatty

I guess I won't be building a new PC this year. I was looking at an October timeframe to start building but I'll probably build one around February. 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1 Gig of RAM will live on for a bit longer...

Zzoram

Loxley said:
I can't believe some of you honestly think Blizzard delayed it because of MW2 :lol

Don't get me wrong, MW2 is going to be huge, but if you honestly think Blizzard was going to lose some serious sales because of it, I would like you to meet the entire population of South Korea.

Not only that, but I doubt the console FPS crowd is the same as the PC RTS crowd.

DieH@rd

Banned
fatty said:
I guess I won't be building a new PC this year. I was looking at an October timeframe to start building but I'll probably build one around February. 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1 Gig of RAM will live on for a bit longer...

Perfect, wait for dx11 cards.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
shintoki said:
1998 =Best year ever
2001 =Best year ever part 2
2004 =Best year ever part 3
2007 =Best year ever part 4
2010 =Best year ever part 5

The duck is on to something.:lol

Nothing really surprising about this at all.

also, 1995 brought us:

Yoshi's Island
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country 2
Earthbound
Phantasy Star 4
VectorMan
Comix Zone
Earthworm Jim 2
Ristar
Star Wars Dark Forces
Wing Commander 4
Wing Commander Privateer
Warcraft 2
Full Throttle
Descent
Command & Conquer
Hexen
Myst
Need For Speed
Worms
Wipeout

The Sega Saturn
The PSX

not sure if that fits into the "best year ever" three-year pattern, but it certainly had a lot of great titles. and I'm sure I'm missing a couple in that list.

Zzoram

Pakkidis said:
Good things happen to those who wait!

SC2 will be the new standard for RTS gaming.

By the time it comes out, 4 year old midrange graphics cards will be able to run it well, and Blizzard's secret to success will kick in again.

Alphahawk

I don't follow PC gaming very closely, but the big news for me out of this story was that it was ever planned an 09 release.

Zzoram

Alphahawk said:
I don't follow PC gaming very closely, but the big news for me out of this story was that it was ever planned an 09 release.

Blizzard never set a real date, but Activision (and a lot of fans/media) were hoping it would come out in 2009.

KingOfSoap

Neo Member
And still no system requirements published by Blizzard, saw some fan sites talking about 128mb graphics cards, this means this game will look about the same as Warcraft III FT? I sure hope not.

Zzoram

KingOfSoap said:
And still no system requirements published by Blizzard, saw some fan sites talking about 128mb graphics cards, this means this game will look about the same as Warcraft III FT? I sure hope not.

I'm pretty sure the battlereports have made it clear that it looks better than wc3.

Enosh

Minsc said:
If it's any consolation, all the sequels/expansions will be released approx. 1 year apart, so once it gets rolling it will really get moving. We'll get back to back to back SC2 games. <3

you know their predictions are kinda wrong all the time.
given that some months ago they wre going "certanly 2009", I realy doubt about the accuracy of the "1 year apart" statement

Artadius

bonesmccoy said:
Sweet! I now have time to go back and actually play the first game.

I haven't played a Blizzard game since Warcraft 2.
2yp1bgg.jpg

Damn, you're missing out!

Minsc

Gold Member
KingOfSoap said:

Warcraft 3 only requires a 32MB video card. Besides...

2087orig.jpg

At what point do the in-game graphics from Warcraft III even come close to that?

fatty

DieH@rd said:
Perfect, wait for dx11 cards.

I'm thinking that those might be a bit out of my budget range. I don't really care for FPS games, so the most graphic intensive games I see myself playing in the future will be SCII, Diablo III and Anno 1404.

SomeDude

Banned
A bit off topic but is starcraft 1 still the best RTS? If not, then what is? Havn't played a RTS in probably 5 years.

jtb

Banned
Let's get real here: This was never 2009 to begin with, so it's not much of a delay

On the other hand: FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

SomeDude said:
A bit off topic but is starcraft 1 still the best RTS? If not, then what is? Havn't played a RTS in probably 5 years.

Warcraft 3 is better than Starcraft 1 in some areas, but that's not really hard to image, since Starcraft is quite a bit older..

Other great recent RTS games are Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War and World in Conflict.

Won

This Bnet 2.0 must be the best thing a group of human beings has ever created.

Just want to see the beta start. :/

bill0527

Minsc said:

That and the game editor puts Warcraft 3's to shame. That will be a sight to behold down the road.

Yeah that's what they said about World of Warcraft expansions also.

They have repeatedly claimed they want to release one per year, but it took them about 22 months to get from their first expansion to the second one. The second expansion has been out 9 months now and still haven't even announced the third one.

Anything Blizzard says about release date time frames is steaming bullshit on a silver platter. That's why they don't announce release dates on most of their games. Its very very frustrating to deal with as a fan of Blizzard games, but once the games do finally come out and you get to sit down and play it for the first time, all that frustration just magically goes away.

Starcraft 1 has aged quite a bit for my taste. Company of Heroes is the RTS you are looking for if you want something a little more modern.

Zzoram

Lagpsike_exe said:
Warcraft 3 is better than Starcraft 1 in some areas, but that's not really hard to image, since Starcraft is quite a bit older..

Other great recent RTS games are Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War and World in Conflict.

Try playing CoH online after a fresh install and you'll realize why Battle.net puts Blizzard RTS way above the rest.

Top Bottom