• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

HappyHunting

Neo Member
With the way WoL ended up looking in multiplayer and the way Protoss had to be played HotS is going to be refreshing.

Like many here I can't wait to get my hands on this game... it's looking more and more like creative play can contend with mechanical play. Lovin it !

Zzoram

Blizzard launch party stream at 65K viewers so far, highest stream viewers for SC2 related stream since WCS EU Finals 2012 I think.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
teh fuck is this "Starcraft II optimization" that just started when I started WoL? I don't have HotS installed, so what is it optimizing?
INSTALLING NOW!
Not even jelly...

How is it? Did I miss your impressions somewhere?

duckroll

I've only played 2 missions so far, and I'm dealing with some technical issues which I'm trying to optimize on my PC so I can't really form any real opinion yet other than a) yes it's Starcraft 2, so its still fun, b) the writing is pretty LOL which is standard for Blizzard these days! <3

Mairu

I'd start the campaign tonight if the game launched at 12 EDT instead of PDT... too late with work tomorrow :(

ShaneB

Also, for the people who want to get better at the game. I've said many times in the various SC2 threads that I'm offering free lessons to gaf members. That offer still stands.

Feel free to shoot me a PM.

I guess if you need to know my qualifications I've been Masters since season 2, and I've been close to GM mmr many times. (Beating players like Select.)

Might have to take up the offer.

This is when I wish the feature set in Starcraft allowed easy in game watching like Dota 2, a game I wish I could like just because the feature set is so awesome. Would be great to pop into Starcraft 2 and just watch a list of live matches of your friends, etc.

Wunder

I'm at around the 11th mission and I am quite enjoying the mission variety so far. As I've said before I'm playing on Hard and it's been quite a challenge. I've had to restart once or twice and had a few close calls.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've only played 2 missions so far, and I'm dealing with some technical issues which I'm trying to optimize on my PC so I can't really form any real opinion yet other than a) yes it's Starcraft 2, so its still fun, b) the writing is pretty LOL which is standard for Blizzard these days! <3
I read some old posts and from what I understood, EU doesn't work? Not even single-player? Played 1400 games in the beta so I'm not worried about the mp (who am I kidding, it's horribly balanced imo), but I just want the sp to be really good! WoL was frikkin' amazing, story aside :3

mr. puppy

Banned
wow biggest starcraft numbers i've seen in like a year almost.

Also lol Grubby winning with the silver league DT strat, he won't win anymore. Stephano caught sleeping.

duckroll

I read some old posts and from what I understood, EU doesn't work? Not even single-player? Played 1400 games in the beta so I'm not worried about the mp (who am I kidding, it's horribly balanced imo), but I just want the sp to be really good! WoL was frikkin' amazing, story aside :3

Blizzard disabled Global Play and Region Selection for all clients until HotS has launched in all regions I believe. It's not going to be an issue in a day anyway.

bill0527

Check out my post earlier in this thread.

My friend was struggling as well and didn't even like playing 3v3 or 4v4 matches with us since he consistently would place last and not really factor into the battle (which frustrated him since he didn't really get to take advantage of his army). He practiced to achieve those benchmarks and is doing so much better and likes playing now.

If you have any questions, ask away and/or post some replays and people in here will help. I'm an OK player, but I'd be more than happy to help you out anyway that I can.

Thank you and everyone else giving advice to help us noobs.

sixghost

Might have to take up the offer.

This is when I wish the feature set in Starcraft allowed easy in game watching like Dota 2, a game I wish I could like just because the feature set is so awesome. Would be great to pop into Starcraft 2 and just watch a list of live matches of your friends, etc.

Blizzard couldn't even support watching replays together. Valve is absolutely eating their lunch when it comes to multiplayer features.

I wonder if the campaign will be harder this time around. Even on brutal, there was rarely a mission that couldn't be beaten handily by massing MMM with upgrades.

Jezbollah

I'm a bit bummed out - thought HOTS was preloaded on my Macbook Pro - got to my hotel for the week and expected a small patch then happy days. Nah. Wants a 4.6gb download on shitty pay internet. I am sad :(

On the other hand, enjoying the HOTS launch.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Yeah the story is kinda taking a pounding early on, and the opening few missions are a tad...well i guess since they are tutorials it has to be that way. The missions when you get to the leviathon start to perk up though, when you get into base building and upgrades.

Zzoram

I wonder if HotS has the potential to have the "BW effect" or if that time is behind us.

It already has. Even with minor balance issues, all the pros unanimously agree that HotS is a better game than WoL and that it has a higher skill ceiling and rewards micro more.

sixghost

Is the management level of the campaign significantly different from WoL? I remember hearing a long time ago that it wouldn't just be Zerg stuff inserted into the WoL outline.

Yoshichan

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Is the management level of the campaign significantly different from WoL? I remember hearing a long time ago that it wouldn't just be Zerg stuff inserted into the WoL outline.

I dont want to go into spoilers for those wanting to go in clean but the dynamic of each missions is changed substantially, not just because you are controlling a different race but because (commonly known but ill spoiler tag anyway)
you control and upgrade a hero unit in every mission, Kerrigan

What Blizzard is doing which is both necessary and quite neat is really taking their time and revolving missions around Zerg mechanics. This makes the missions quite varied and quite fun too, missions revolving around creep, queen mechanics etc. I was a tad dissapointed early on but the games really picking up now, last few missions were great fun.

Mr Cola

Yoshichan

You can play single player if you follow my post last page, you log onto the sea servers, however nothing is transferable so if you wanted to unlock stuff on your main account you will need to do whatever missions you completed on one account over.
All right, thanks a lot man.

mr. puppy

Banned
wtf 81k on starcraft 2? i'm actually getting hype now.

vanilla got so freaking boring its great seeing all of this fresh stuff. I really like the new crazy OP shit like speedvacs and viper's abduct or whatever its called, its gonna suck when it gets nerfed.

Mr Cola

One thing which is concerning me, the resources sc2 is taking up is fucking insane, im running Tomb raider, Hitman, Sleeping dogs all on full tilt and they are not taking a fraction of what sc2 is taking in task manager. That and ive had about 6 occassions where the single player has froze forcing a restart.

Top Bottom