• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

antitrop

Are strategy guides even useful when it comes to a game like SCII where the metagame and strategies utilized dynamically changes?
For the campaign, yes.

But there are better free strategy videos 2 days after the game comes out on YouTube, so it's pointless.

I am such an awful fucking RTS player. For 15 years I have wanted to at least be competent in this genre, and for 15 years and I haven't even gotten out of the noob stage.

I am great at strategy board games board games like Risk, and Stratego. Nobody wants to play me. I make people in my family cry in humiliation after they get trounced.

I don't know what it is about this genre that I just can't grasp. I don't know if its UI manipulation, trying to memorize all the hot keys or, something else. I just can't get it.

But I am going to give it another shot. I actually got a strategy guide and see if I can get through the Starcraft II Terran campaign before moving on to HoTS.

RTS are really only about varying strategies once you get APM and muscle memory down.

At the bronze/silver ladder tiers you'll win just buy building peasants every 8 seconds and expanding appropriately. That's the only strategy you need at that point.

(Consequently, it's why I gave up on playing the genre--I just don't have the will or the skill to try to keep up anymore.)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Bronze - 20%
Silver - 20%
Gold - 20%
Platinum - 20%
Diamond - 18%
Master - 2%
Grandmaster - <1%

Um, really? I thought the spread went like 50 percent bronze and 5 percent diamond? That's what I remember WoL season 1 being.

Moff

really like the new protoss units. the mothership core seems almost too good. such a strong protoss unit so early. and the new artillery bomber, wow. even only against land units it would have been awesome, but air, too? like the starcraft 1 guardian onl with air to air capabilities. and with the oracle comes its perfect supporter. really looking forward to the online part of this game.

fatty

I am such an awful fucking RTS player. For 15 years I have wanted to at least be competent in this genre, and for 15 years and I haven't even gotten out of the noob stage.

I am great at strategy board games board games like Risk, and Stratego. Nobody wants to play me. I make people in my family cry in humiliation after they get trounced.

I don't know what it is about this genre that I just can't grasp. I don't know if its UI manipulation, trying to memorize all the hot keys or, something else. I just can't get it.

But I am going to give it another shot. I actually got a strategy guide and see if I can get through the Starcraft II Terran campaign before moving on to HoTS.

Check out my post earlier in this thread.

My friend was struggling as well and didn't even like playing 3v3 or 4v4 matches with us since he consistently would place last and not really factor into the battle (which frustrated him since he didn't really get to take advantage of his army). He practiced to achieve those benchmarks and is doing so much better and likes playing now.

If you have any questions, ask away and/or post some replays and people in here will help. I'm an OK player, but I'd be more than happy to help you out anyway that I can.

antitrop

Um, really? I thought the spread went like 50 percent bronze and 5 percent diamond? That's what I remember WoL season 1 being.
At the early stages of Season 1, before Master and Grandmaster came out, it was 20% evenly distributed through Bronze-Diamond. (5 leagues x 20% = 100%)
Before Grandmaster League was released, Blizzard used to manually publish a list of the Top 200 players in each region on their blog.

Bronze and Silver together have always been the bottom half of the player base, in terms of skill (bottom 40%, 20 + 20).

Before Master and Grandmaster came out, it was 20% evenly distributed through Bronze-Diamond. (5 leagues x 20% = 100%)

Before Grandmaster League was released, Blizzard used to manually publish a list of the Top 200 players in each region on their blog.

Just so people know, everything antitrop is saying is 100% correct.

Also, for the people who want to get better at the game. I've said many times in the various SC2 threads that I'm offering free lessons to gaf members. That offer still stands.

Feel free to shoot me a PM.

I guess if you need to know my qualifications I've been Masters since season 2, and I've been close to GM mmr many times. (Beating players like Select.)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
At the early stages of Season 1, before Master and Grandmaster came out, it was 20% evenly distributed through Bronze-Diamond. (5 leagues x 20% = 100%).

SC2ranks.com is telling a whole different story...?

Gav47

I've been F5ing my Amazon UK open orders page all day today waiting for this to ship. They have a note on the product page saying due to delivery restrictions it can't be delivered before tomorrow, I hope they ship it in time! It's already 1:45pm in the afternoon, get your finger out chaps!

Has yours shipped yet? Mine hasn't changed at all.

sixghost

You just need to force yourself to become competent at the mechanical part of the game. Pick protoss or terran, and practice against the AI or in an empty map until you can:
-Constantly produce workers
-avoid being supply capped
-can execute 1 build order per matchup from memory
-keep your minerals and gas below 1000.
-expand every 5 or 6 minutes
-Use hotkeys, all attacking units should be on control groups, all production buildings should be on control groups as well. Look up some recommended control group setups if you don't know what any of that means.

Keep going until you are maxed at 200/200; do that until you feel comfortable. It's boring at first, but it helps to remove the pressure and tension that comes with a match against another human.

The game is fun, but due to it being an APM intensive RTS, there's a mechanical barrier to entry that you need to break through before the strategy part actually matters.

Try playing some team games if you are still having trouble playing 1v1.

masterkajo

Also, for the people who want to get better at the game. I've said many times in the various SC2 threads that I'm offering free lessons to gaf members. That offer still stands.

I guess if you need to know my qualifications I've been Masters since season 2, and I've been close to GM mmr many times. (Beating players like Select.)

What race are you playing/coaching?

duckroll

I'm having some really fucking annoying issues with Bink on my PC. Usually on games which use Bink movies a lot I do get some sort of stuttering if it's loading something in the background or whatever, but mostly it's smooth. On HotS it seems that the video actually lags behind the audio completely making the scenes desynced and unwatchable if they're longer than a minute or two. Zero problems in actual realtime stuff. >_<

Harlock

But maybe much more people don´t even get in online multiplayer.

And monobattles would be a great way to test a free to play model with Starcraft. Very casual, very fun experience.

zeox

I might take you up on that this weekend depending on work. I'll get back to you :p

HoodWinked

I'm having some really fucking annoying issues with Bink on my PC. Usually on games which use Bink movies a lot I do get some sort of stuttering if it's loading something in the background or whatever, but mostly it's smooth. On HotS it seems that the video actually lags behind the audio completely making the scenes desynced and unwatchable if they're longer than a minute or two. Zero problems in actual realtime stuff. >_<

try changing the game to fullscreen (windowed) or fullscreen if already.

I am interested in some lessons! next weekend!

Zzoram

Wait, so HotS cutscenes are lower quality than WoL? Is this true? The CG trailers they released looked to be the same quality as the CG WoL cutscenes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wait, so HotS cutscenes are lower quality than WoL? Is this true? The CG trailers they released looked to be the same quality as the CG WoL cutscenes.

He's probably talking about the ingame cutscenes, not the CG ones.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
....How is everyone playing the game already? I thought it doesn't go live until 12AM PST?

I'm curious too. How are you guys playing this game early? Do you have review code or something? I checked the times Blizzard posted and it goes live 11pm GMT over here in the UK. Later for the US. I should be able to start playing this in three or four hours. The game hasn't leaked yet so how are you guys playing the game so early?

Picking up two copies of this today. My fiancée laid claim to my collector's edition. :(

Funnily enough, my excitement for it is somewhat dampened by the fact I have to play it on PC. I know it's the kind of game that doesn't work on a console, but I can't see myself relegating myself to my study for more than the campaign. Was so much easier in my student days.

duckroll

In WoL the non-CG cutscenes were realtime and really nice looking if you have good graphic settings. In HotS they seem to be mostly pre-recorded scenes with in-game assets, but since Bink sucks donkey cock there's visible compression, the contrast is worse, and it just doesn't look as sharp and colorful as it should if it were really rendered in realtime at the native resolution you're playing at.

Guess im still a sucker for Starcraft, only played the campaign and mostly did co-op matches with a friend in WoL but I just pulled the trigger on this fml

Lombax

Banned

Might I suggest you take a look at videos on Apollo's youtube channel there are some old but still awesome ones here as well.
I was able to go from high bronze to gold with the help of those videos and a lot of practice.

GL have batman.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I return from work to this? Thanks for stirring up such a shithole in this thread. And thanks for backing me up SC2GAF.
Most of us believe he has some kind of condition.
I don't. Cool assumption bro.
Nothing... This is a guy who spent (literally) $1,000 on Path of Exile only to quit during release week.
Good job getting the "point" of my donation to GGG - my current favorite company of all time.

====================================================================

And with that said, I'm extremely excited (obviously) but I won't be able to play it until tomorrow :( FUCK.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I thought you weren't going to buy this. Didn't you say it was the worst game of all time or something recently? Lol. :(
I also bought Bad Rats and Dark Souls. Nothing stops me from buying bad games.

profit

Hey EJ I got a suggestion; how about you plan a night where you comment on people's replays live? Since you can watch replays in game with multiple people now; it'll be a great way to coach people where others can learn aswell.

Top Bottom