• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

reinking

Gold Member
I wrapped up the UC Vangaurd questline. It was pretty good. I got my apartment and as a bonus my dad gave me a new ship just after. :messenger_grinning:

I have a few weird things happening. My Stealth skill and Targeting Control Systems skills are not leveling correctly. My stealth kills were not registering for the first 15 character levels and then suddenly I had 9/10. I am going to mess around tomorrow and see if I can get one more kill and finally bump it up to skill level 2. Targeting Control will still not register even in the simulation but I have not tried again after the stealth skill started working. Both of these skills worked fine on my first character during early access and I am not doing anything any different.

Still dangerously close to being my GOTY and almost certainly would be if not for Resident Evil 4.
These two are my two tops, followed by Zelda. I’d never played RE4 before the remake - it’ll probably walk away with the top spot for me. I actually replayed it which I’ve never done in my life with a game so soon after beating

About to start the Mantis mission.
I've already seen videos of this mission, so it's been spoiled for me. :messenger_frowning_
Hope 50 digipics will be enough, I maxed out the lockpicking skill. Lockpicking hurts my brain. But seems it will be worth it.

Fredrik

I went the other way, mainly because
I couldn't wait to turncoat on Naeve, who was incredibly unpleasant, rude, condescending, unworthy, indignant, and all-around awful the entire time. She was the only pirate I actively hated, and in the end SHE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS AWAY. I was so mad. I'm really hoping she pops up later and we get some face-to-face time so I can really rub my treachery in.

A lot of the other pirates I ended up liking and felt bad about wiping them out. You're able to persuade Delgado to turn himself in, which I did. And you can save the chest-bomb dude, which I also did. I wish I could've spared more of them.
Yup, I…
…played both scenarios out so I saw all that too and reacted the same way. Some of them always treated me badly. But in the end I realized that I knew more people among the CF and it felt really bad to go in there to kill them and seeing their names when doing my usual sniper headshot run. The upside to let them win is that you have all those stores there afterwards. And they slightly change their attitude toward you afterwards. I think the money is the same. The downside is that the Constellation group really hates your guts, Sarah, Sam, Andreja too, but you can tweak it around a bit if you’re regretful. Thinking about using the Stormtrooper mod for UC to make it feel better heh
In the end I realized that Vasco is my only real friend lol

Last edited:

Fredrik

I agree. I think they've seen what modders have accomplished with Skyrim especially, very unique bodies and variety, along with very attractive faces and styles. Even moving parts(breasts etc) and actual full on seggs. Whole quest lines built around it and even proximity interaction with npcs. It used to be my main complaint about Bethesda back in the day, they'd make the base game and let the community do the rest of the work(assets, systems/features, quests etc). At least with Starfield, it should be quite impressive and supported for decades to come I assume.

I think they were just trying to play it very very safe across the board. Its like a themepark, or Westworld/Futureworld. It works well enough and the fundamentals are solid but it could've used a more unique and bold touch for sure.
Yeah in Skyrim there are mods to make all major NPCs, male and female, look good. Starfield desperately needs that. Can’t believe Bethesda themselves didn’t do more. It’s a mature/18 rated game. They could’ve done night clubs with topless dancers and whatever they wanted. As it is I don’t even understand the rating, it’s super tame unless it’s about the aurora or religious talks idk

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've already seen videos of this mission, so it's been spoiled for me. :messenger_frowning_
Hope 50 digipics will be enough, I maxed out the lockpicking skill. Lockpicking hurts my brain. But seems it will be worth it.

The ship you get as the reward is well worth it all the way until you are able to learn and pilot the most expensive ships in the game.

bender

What time is it?
-Went to the moon.
-Joined the Space Cowboys
-Collected two more Elder Scrolls
-"Recruited" four of five companions
-Got my first dragon shout
-Hit level 10

Not sure how much longer I'll play. The combat is mediocre thank in large part to the brain dead AI. I fully understand the criticisms about level loads now. And now having explored a few larger areas, that feels largely uninteresting like BGS took the one thing they were good at segmented it to oblivion (free pun).

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
For what it's worth here are my spoiler free thoughts after about 35 hours.

Beside messing about in our early release thread hours before launch I stayed away from all media and threads to go in unsullied so I may repeat some of your already voiced opinions/concerns.

-That special feeling of experiencing the game for the first time.
A dumb happy smile sometimes pops on my face along with some butterflies in my stomach. That is usually reserved for the ladies 😁
I cherish this 1st walkthrough as it can only happen once.

-The voice acting is overall very good.
That vendor at the Trade Authority in Cydonia is cool & I wanna hang out with him.

Pretty sure it's a design choice but the game bombards you with potential companions/crew members right from the beginning. Jesus Christ relax everyone!

-That old Engine is really showing its age underneath that new coat of paint.

-By level 6 I already had a deadly arsenal of weapons, all looted not bought in stores. 3 rare & 2 legendary weapons along with a rare pack & a legendary helmet. Maybe I'm lucky but it does feel excessive but hey I'm not complaining!

-Quests are uneven for me quality wise. A surprising number of fetch quests.
I wanted to shoot that scientist by the tree in New Atlantis in the face when I was done with his quest. But then again, only 35 hours in so far.

-Exploration is dead.
So far I've "explored" 4 planets.
Run & jump to a couple of "unknown" locations. Found an abandoned outpost with a handful of pirates, some asteroid rocks or just stuff to scan.
No vehicle to speed things up.
Very disappointing & underwhelming.

I accidentally deployed an Outpost beacon & just left it there.
I have no interest in the "building" aspect of the game. My outposts in FO4 looked like hobo camps. "Here's a cheap turret, a chair and a bottle of water. Now good luck & piss off."
Thank GAWD there's no Preston Garvey character so far.

-I chose the "Dream Home" trait but when I found my home empty of furniture I sold it back to the bank.
I would gladly pay extra for a furnished place. I'm sure a level designer would have loved to create a bunch of different furnished homes.

Companions so far are plain & ordinary. Except when forced to I choose to go at it alone (should have picked up this trait!). Again, only 35 hours in 😊

-Cities/towns feel alive and varied.
From the slums of Akila to the Cyberpunk feel of Neon it does feel like a living world that goes on without your presence.

-Hard to explain but the "space" aspect of the game feels like an afterthought.
Combat is fine I guess but it took me a while to figure out targeting different parts of an enemy ship. I refused to go online for tips 😄

The first time I wanted to land on a planet I just boosted like a maniac until I realised it was all menu based.
Those take off & landing cutscenes are fun the first two times but just cut it out and make it 100% menu fast travel because that's what it is.

-One of the first things I did was improve my weight limit with the perk.
Those sprinting conditions to get to the next level were simple & lazy.

In closing what really keeps me going are the quests.
Once I'll be done I'll wait for DLC.
Maybe start a new walkthrough with a selfish asshole character.

What really breaks my heart as a Todd Howard whore is what made Oblivion, FO3 & Skyrim so fun & why I invested over 500 hours in each of them: the random exploration of wandering around & falling into a rabbit hole of consecutive events where 4 hours later you wonder where all that time went.

Thanks for hearing me out, now I gotta hang out with my cool vendor dude in Cydonia 😁

EDIT: LOVE the music! Those horns man.

Last edited:

JayK47

You can marry companions? I was just hoping for some Mass Effect flings with my entire crew.

Finally have a new ship. The Ranger ship. Nice.

That undercover Crimson Fleet quest sort of breaks the game because it makes all pirates friendly. You show up at dungeons and nobody's shooting at you.
Eventually I powered my way through the quest just to turn them back into enemies. Looks like they can be a friendly faction for the entire game if you want, which is just crazy IMO. That would shut off a quarter of your enemies!

46 hours later I'm still discovering new weapon types. I love what they did here, it's so much better than Fallout... Just needs some gore to make the crazier weapons stand out even more. This is what I want and I bet some modders are already hard at work:

geary

Got the Matis quest, but i see is in a system with level 30 and i level 11. Should i go now there?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My new favorite weapon is the Boom Boom shotgun with the random explosive rounds effect. Just have to be careful that shit doesn't pop off when you're point blank with an enemy. Played for about 6hrs today, and at the end spent about an hour scanning outside Jemison and boosting some skills. Right now I'm boosting Shotgun, Stealth, Fitness, and Jet Pack. Ready to upgrade them again, but I need to level up 4 times for the points. I stopped hording shit to sell. Vendors just run out of money too fast and I'm loaded with over $200k credits and missions load you up with money. The only thing I'm really hoarding anymore is plushies and figurines. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

twilo99

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of weapons in the game, I was expecting a very bare bones experience in that regard.

Apocryphon

Started playing this today on Series X. Visually its actually a lot better than I expected. Sharp, good texture detail from a reasonable distance, excellent use of geometric detail in the early game. Asset quality is really good and asset density in internal locations is way higher than I imagined it would be.

The music is wonderful and most NPC faces aren’t anywhere near as bad as I had prepared myself for. They’re stretching the engine and it really shows in some areas but honestly, I think it often does look suitably current gen.

The fucking frame rate is dogshit though. I’ve seen people praising the “solid 30fps” cap and acting like it’s acceptable for a game in 2023 that puts so much emphasis on combat to run this “smooth”… 🙄 GTFO. It’s so jarring. This game needs a 40fps mode on console at a minimum. The resolution mode in RE4R runs between 40-45fps on Series X and that feels so much better than this. I’m not asking for Doom
Eternal performance, but I don’t know how I’m going to deal with larger more demanding battles later on if I’m already finding the frame rate to be an issue.

The FOV is equally wank, and despite thinking the third person footage looked good in the preview stuff, I am finding myself not using it at all now I’m playing it.

I’m excited to see what else the game has to offer, but I’m also glad it’s on Gamepass. I don’t think I would actually buy this unless it was in a deep sale.

Zuzu

Just finished Starfield’s main campaign. Honestly it wasn’t that great overall but at least the ending was pretty good. Compared to other campaigns in rpgs it was very mediocre unfortunately. Oh well, I guess that’s not the main drawcard of these Bethesda games but I wish they’d improve their main campaigns.

twilo99

Started playing this today on Series X. Visually its actually a lot better than I expected. Sharp, good texture detail from a reasonable distance, excellent use of geometric detail in the early game. Asset quality is really good and asset density in internal locations is way higher than I imagined it would be.

The music is wonderful and most NPC faces aren’t anywhere near as bad as I had prepared myself for. They’re stretching the engine and it really shows in some areas but honestly, I think it often does look suitably current gen.

The fucking frame rate is dogshit though. I’ve seen people praising the “solid 30fps” cap and acting like it’s acceptable for a game in 2023 that puts so much emphasis on combat to run this “smooth”… 🙄 GTFO. It’s so jarring. This game needs a 40fps mode on console at a minimum. The resolution mode in RE4R runs between 40-45fps on Series X and that feels so much better than this. I’m not asking for Doom
Eternal performance, but I don’t know how I’m going to deal with larger more demanding battles later on if I’m already finding the frame rate to be an issue.

The FOV is equally wank, and despite thinking the third person footage looked good in the preview stuff, I am finding myself not using it at all now I’m playing it.

I’m excited to see what else the game has to offer, but I’m also glad it’s on Gamepass. I don’t think I would actually buy this unless it was in a deep sale.

Unfortunately it seems to be CPU limited so I doubt we will see any improvement in framerate on console.. at least its not dropping down to sub 20fps like BG3

Topher

Gold Member
Got the Matis quest, but i see is in a system with level 30 and i level 11. Should i go now there?

Pretty sure the enemies were around my same level when I did that mission. Check a YouTube play through and verify though. I'm nearly positive the enemies were not that high of a level.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hundreds of years in the future, with casual space travel, there are no city maps. Not even paper maps. The information kiosks literally give you a vague text directory of which POIs are in which district, with no directions or further details.

Want to get to The Well? Wait until a quest takes you there and remember how you got there, or Google it. It’s an unmarked door on the side of an unmarked wall between TerraBrew coffee and another establishment, leading to an elevator. Is it supposed to be a secret? No, it’s literally where all the working class people live in New Atlantis. Who thought this made sense?

I can more or less remember where everything is, and I kind of like not having a minimap, but what a design choice to deprive the player of basic information.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Hundreds of years in the future, with casual space travel, there are no city maps. Not even paper maps. The information kiosks literally give you a vague text directory of which POIs are in which district, with no directions or further details.

Want to get to The Well? Wait until a quest takes you there and remember how you got there, or Google it. It’s an unmarked door on the side of an unmarked wall between TerraBrew coffee and another establishment, leading to an elevator. Is it supposed to be a secret? No, it’s literally where all the working class people live in New Atlantis. Who thought this made sense?

I can more or less remember where everything is, and I kind of like not having a minimap, but what a design choice to deprive the player of basic information.
Yeah, the lack of maps or anything resembling a usable ‘guide’ in the cities is quite baffling.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
It's bizarre really.. one must assume that there have been countless meetings on the subject and they finally decided that this is better? It makes no sense.
It would be great if in cities you opened up your map and it was like a shopping mall directory which you could search for shops / buildings and it would give you a guide to your selection. I mean, with the scan wayfinding they essentially do this anyway, why not point me in the right direction and let me walk myself there?

Jemm

I decided to do a main quest a bit (after 50+ hours) and went to the Eye to meet Vladimir.

He told me he is interested in buying survey data, so I sold him what I had and made at least 10k on the spot. Didn't know about it, so it gave me more motivation to gather survey data from now on. Gas giants etc are easiest, since just a scan from orbit is enough.

Fredrik

That undercover Crimson Fleet quest sort of breaks the game because it makes all pirates friendly. You show up at dungeons and nobody's shooting at you.
Eventually I powered my way through the quest just to turn them back into enemies. Looks like they can be a friendly faction for the entire game if you want, which is just crazy IMO. That would shut off a quarter of your enemies!
Should probably go under spoiler.
I haven’t done any dungeons but what I’ve seen is that there are more spaceship fights, so maybe the game shift focus from ground battles to space battles whenever CF is involved?
I have 2 saves with the two different endings, I should play the UC consequence a bit more to see more differences

Last edited:

Jemm

I just found it by accident and was like:

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF by Cameo

It's bizarre really.. one must assume that there have been countless meetings on the subject and they finally decided that this is better? It makes no sense.

There’s a lot of little things like that which are super annoying.

Who thought fast traveling with multiple layers of clicks was a good idea? You don’t need to be an Apple UI expert to know that…. :[

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Absolutely, my main flaw with the game. I've accepted the loading to the point it is Zonefield, but the above is something I just can't understand a big developer doing. Baffling.

The future! Where all tourists are just fucked.

Roberts

Now that the honeymoon period is over, I was thinking that the same thing will happen that happened with other Bethesda's games: You are not overwhelmed with seemingly endless possibilities anymore, so you end up chasing the main story and then move on to other things (while still loving the game). But no, there are still places I haven't been too and there are stories I want to experience before finishing the main story. So, that is a first.

To be honest I don't really get the complaint about AI. While it is in no way something new, but I like that the enemy is constantly looking for cover, I like that they run away to a safer spot when they are feeling overpowered, they are neither stormtroopers when it comes to accuracy but neither they are John Wick. They even try to flank you sometimes and I think it is cool. Even in 30 fps it is super fun to fly around with jetpack and pick them one by one.

I was thinking a lot about the possibility of Starfield 2 and I kind of came to a conclusion that it should be one and done kind of a game. In Elder Scrolls and Fallout you just move to a new location and come up with a new story and while familiar, it all feels worthwhile. Starfield is kind of the best of sci-fi deal for me. It is basically a love letter to pretty much every kind of sci-fi movie and this game covers pretty much everything you want from a sci-fi epic. There are details and nods to stuff like 2001, Fifth Element, Star Trek, Event Horizon, Blade Runner, Battlestar Galactica, countless sci-fi novels. Obviously, without going into spoilers, there is still some ground to cover, but a sequel imo would be most likely too familiar to inspire the feeling of awe you get from this one. I will shut up now and try to finish that super hard Crimson Fleet space battle.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

There’s a mission very early on where a guy lost something in one of three stores, but doesn’t know which so he asks you to check them.

This is legit the only mission where the locations aren’t marked on your hud, so your only chance to find these stores is to literally walk from store to store and look at the names. I swear to god Bethesda did this to bruteforce the player into getting familiar with the city because they had no idea how to do it otherwise.

Bizarre design choices.

Yesterday just roamed around in New Atlantis, mapping everything in my head. Was looking for that museum that explains the history of Earth. It was tucked away nicely.

Also tried to sell completed scan data of planets to a random vendor. They purchased it all right.

Looking forward to today's session of doing nothing useful.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
See, now this is a SPACESHIP, not a fucking space taxi.
Modders saving Bethsoft games once again.
I enjoy what's already there. The ship building mode is really cool. The ships are meant to be personal crafts like the Millennium Falcon. If you make it too big then moving around the ship takes forever. I suppose that where something like Star Trek's transporter would come in handy.

This is going to be a modder's paradise. Can't wait for custom ships that are basically self-contained levels like the Enterprise.

Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

Gold Member
I've played 1 hour. 3700x/3080
Ultra, 4k, 75% fsr2. Runs like shit. I mean, stable, no stuttering. Just around 40fps.... well, that's ok. I didn't optimize and it's expected from ultra.
Graphics are great. I don't really get the complaints. Playing in SDR and I understand the complaints about the contrast but it's clearly artistic intent. I see what they are doing and I get it.
The writing and story is not grabbing me yet but I barely started. The writing especially seems a bit stupid.

One thing that is just bad is UI. holy crap it makes it seem more complicated than it is.... or maybe it is. There are quite a few systems and research stuff and so on.
If that washed out shit is their artistic vision, they all need a pair of fucking glasses or a new brain alltogether, vanilla starfield colors are probably the worst i ever experienced in a game, shit was nearly unplayable.

mitchman

Gold Member

Maps feels like a time cutting feature. They just didn't have time to finish it, so they dropped it completely. Quite a few features feel like this.

Chukhopops

To be honest I don't really get the complaint about AI. While it is in no way something new, but I like that the enemy is constantly looking for cover, I like that they run away to a safer spot when they are feeling overpowered, they are neither stormtroopers when it comes to accuracy but neither they are John Wick. They even try to flank you sometimes and I think it is cool. Even in 30 fps it is super fun to fly around with jetpack and pick them one by one.
I was thinking the same, it’s ridiculous to say there are no differences compared to FO4 where they just walk towards you and shoot.

I don’t know to which other revolutionary AI they compare it to but aside from Halo I don’t see it.

The complaints about maps and UI are way more valid though.

Pakoe

I noticed this too, kinda lame. I sneak kill them all for the loot and get out of there easily.

Regarding finishing the quest:
Do you still have access to the main hub? Can you still sell stolen loot etc?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
My girl has such a hard time with the game lmao. Not because it's broken or anything, but because there is sooo much stuff to pick up in the game and she had no self control.

Fredrik

Regarding finishing the quest:
Do you still have access to the main hub? Can you still sell stolen loot etc?
Yeah
The Key is still there as before and all the merchants etc. If you go with UC you lose the Key but have the Vigilante instead. The Vigilante is actually there too with the CF choice but it’s just there for loot, will be used in the Fleet somehow but it’s not specified at once. Haven’t played much longer than that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
They really missed the mark with some characters...

The headboss of the crimson fleet aspect and voice are as charming and unsettling as a basket of kittens, the second in command is just your stronk, snarky woman with modern haircut.

If this is the best quest in the game, then holy shit...

You just don't have freedom during these quests, follow the quest indicator and do this, maybe with one variation at best.

Hard to explain without spoilers.

They really need to hire better writers and quest designers for the next elder scroll.

Also sometimes the game completely miss or made up some interactions because characters speak about stuff that i never did.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member

Probably one of my biggest problems with the game right now. Not having basic info where shops are on the surface map is a major oversight and a step down from previous Bethesda games. You'd think with the 9 years this game was in development somebody would've brought up that having basic information about cities might be a good idea.

On xbox is there ANY way to press a button to use an item like food, meds etc without having to go into a menu or making it a favorite item??

If I'm a little low on health and see a tomato.... Lete flipping eat it instead of pick it up to store!!

Top Bottom