• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to finally setup a paypal account so I can do the GAF steamgifting thing. Games are so much cheaper in the states. Effing Euro.

One question though: Thinking of buying one of the left 4 dead games. Played the demo of the first one when it came out and it ran fine on low resolution with medium, I think even some high settings but it's been a while. Anyone got an opinion on if L4D2 will run smoothly in low resolution with some of the lower settings:

Core 2 duo T7200 2.00 GHz
ATI mobility FireGL V5250
2 gigs of ram

(Yes I actually game on this old piece of crap. Hi GTA IV.)

Thanks guys.

Edit: Anybody considering buying Vampire: Bloodlines. Do it. Do it live. It's so good.

The_Monk

MNC said:
I actually can't play gemini rue :(

I boot the game, I see the title screen, I hear rain falling but nothing happens. I alttab, I see a quick view of the main menu before alttabbing back in and the game freezing again. Halp!

Same happens to me. I'm on a Mac using bootcamp. Just got the code to get it on steam too.

Sometimes I can move my cursor for 1-2 seconds but the menu freezes. I can still hear the rain and most of the time I dont even get to the menu.

If anyone knows a solution, help us!

benjipwns

Banned
Rocket Scientist said:
One question though: Thinking of buying one of the left 4 dead games. Played the demo of the first one when it came out and it ran fine on low resolution with medium, I think even some high settings but it's been a while. Anyone got an opinion on if L4D2 will run smoothly in low resolution with some of the lower settings:
It's not perfect, but this does a fairly good job of suggesting an answer when there isn't a demo or way to test the game:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Knew about the site, but thanks =) Apparently this particular videocard isn't well represented on the site as I've gotten dramatic ''fails'' before, even though the game in question turned out to run smoothly. Been looking at benchmarks for the recommended and minimum required videocards to compare, but haven't really concluded anything yet. Thanks anyway though.

Uhm wow, I'm playing through Assassin's Creed II and I just unlocked "The Truth". Hopefully I'll get a good deal on Brotherhood, the story is just too fucked up to miss.

MNC

The_Monk said:
Same happens to me. I'm on a Mac using bootcamp. Just got the code to get it on steam too.

Sometimes I can move my cursor for 1-2 seconds but the menu freezes. I can still hear the rain and most of the time I dont even get to the menu.

If anyone knows a solution, help us!
Been messing about with the settings, haven't found a solution, tried switching to DirectD9 but it gives me an error saying some plugin is not compatible. I'll try enabling my Nvidia GPU, though such a game should be able to run with my Intel...

hardware is i5 2401 2,3ghz
intel/nividia gt 540m
4gb ram

laptop

Tried everything with the settings. :/

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Glass Rebel said:
Uhm wow, I'm playing through Assassin's Creed II and I just unlocked "The Truth".
ilpUry.gif

If you played AC2, you should lol

MNC

MNC said:
Been messing about with the settings, haven't found a solution, tried switching to DirectD9 but it gives me an error saying some plugin is not compatible. I'll try enabling my Nvidia GPU, though such a game should be able to run with my Intel...

hardware is i5 2401 2,3ghz
intel/nividia gt 540m
4gb ram

laptop

Tried everything with the settings. :/

Okay this is ridiculous. The game stutters like a madman, but if I hold the window the whole time with my mouse, it's smooth as butter. What the heck?

Edit: Apparently I have to dial back to 16 bit colors...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh shit I got invited to the Steam Hardcore club lololol.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/hardcoreclub

Reqs:
-Over 1000 achievements
-Over 1000$ spent
-Over 1000 hours played

Those seem rather tame to me. And to bad I only need two clubs.

Alienups said:
Is the pc version of F.E.A.R. 2 any good ?

thinking of picking up the pack
Yeah, it's well optimized and plays great on the mouse/keyboard (as it should). The multiplayer was DOA and they used in-game achievements instead of Steam ones though :(

MNC

Solution: Run in 16 bit. Is there a way to just run the game in 16 bit, not have to switch the whole time? It's not in the right click properties run as thing.

Stallion Free said:
Oh shit I got invited to the Steam Hardcore club lololol.

Reqs:
-Over 1000 achievements
-Over 1000$ spent
-Over 1000 hours played

Those seem rather tame to me. And two bad I only need two clubs.
I'm 70 dollars away from those requirements

...I wouldn't for a minute think I was close to being "Steam Hardcore." 800 of those achievements for me come from TF2, and also 1000+ hours of TF2... so basically it's TF2 Hardcore and a few hours of other stuff

Steam Hardcore doesn't look that hardcore. And are there really 800 achievements in TF2 now? That's insane.

Does the group take into account games based on sales or full price? Because that's another easily done requirement.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
balladofwindfishes said:
I'm 70 dollars away from those requirements

...I wouldn't for a minute think I was close to being "Steam Hardcore." 800 of those achievements for me come from TF2, and also 1000+ hours of TF2... so basically it's TF2 Hardcore and a few hours of other stuff
TF2 is just shy of 400 and they added some bullshit achievements with the replay stuff that I'll prolly never get :(

Stallion Free said:
TF2 is just shy of 400 and they added some bullshit achievements with the replay stuff that I'll prolly never get :(
you can edit some file to make the game believe you uploaded Friday or something as your own video and instantly get the achievements.

Stallion Free said:

balladofwindfishes said:
you can edit some file to make the game believe you uploaded Friday or something as your own video and instantly get the achievements.

Isn´t the whole point of achievements to actually do the stuff that is required for it? :)

Shambles

CecilRousso said:
Isn´t the whole point of achievements to actually do the stuff that is required for it? :)

No. They're designed to trigger our natural desire to finish tasks assigned to us. More often they feel more like chores than fun but our brain still tells us that they need to get done. It's a tool game designers use to push people to play their games in order to fend off that nagging feeling in the back of your brain that you left something unfinished.

Xanathus

Eh, Steam achievements are worthless since there is a program to unlock them. The only "hardcore" criteria there is the $1000 spent, so that means people with money are "hardcore".

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Xanathus said:
Eh, Steam achievements are worthless since there is a program to unlock them. The only "hardcore" criteria there is the $1000 spent, so that means people with money are "hardcore".
I do believe the site they use for achievement tracking is able to detect and filter out people who use unlocking programs.

Derrick01

Banned
Well I'm fairly certain I easily passed the 1000 hours and $1000 spent ones, no idea about the achievements as I normally don't try to get all the Steam ones. I don't like their achievement system at all.

Man, great recommendation about Gemini Rue. This is a blast from the past. I cannot wait to play my way through it. I hope this guy makes more games like this.

Gvaz

Banned
KarmaCow said:
Ah okay thanks.
They patched in all the DLC for Dead Space 2, by the way. They did this after Gibbed on steam hacked the DLC back in (because it was on the disk just not activated)

Sanctum Violator DLC, quote to see, post if you take it.

Derrick01

Banned
animlboogy said:
Does the lack of points bother you? I'll admit it, I wish I had a proper internet dick measuring system for my Steam achievements.

It does. It's not a big deal I just ignore most of the achievements in Steam games but I would be more interested if they made a point system. It doesn't have to have any real importance but it's addictive. Probably the only thing I miss from console gaming.

ShaneB

Derrick01 said:
It does. It's not a big deal I just ignore most of the achievements in Steam games but I would be more interested if they made a point system. It doesn't have to have any real importance but it's addictive. Probably the only thing I miss from console gaming.

Same. I can understand the lack of points on Steam, since there is no regulation, any developer could set an insane amount of points to any achievement completely throwing the system out of whack, but like anything else, it is nice to see some number going up and comparing with friends, etc etc.

Using a 360 controller with Left 4 Dead 2, how do you scope? when I click the right thumbstick it goes to the menu instead of scoping. I wanna fuck up some zombies with the sniper rifle, but to no avail :(

animlboogy said:
It was too scary for you?

I finished the game, but man... it wasn't so much "aaah!" scary as it put me in this really nervous, soul-eroding state. It's one of the few games that has ever transported me so completely into its setting. All those themes of torture and the oppressive atmosphere... I'm not sure I ever want to play it again, but it was remarkable, and I'm really glad I did.

Well, not that "scary"....but it was really nerving, the constant sounds, the constant sanity effects, I mean it really put you on constant tension and I don't like that type of tension. I have better endurance on horror games that are more "in your face" type of horror.

Yeah, I can see the game is pretty great as an horror game, it just does it's job too good. lol

No steam achievements are the correct way to do it. Combined points over all games is just stupid and pointless imo.

Comparing a single game to a friend however and checking if they managed to fix some achievement however can be fun.

Also I love comparing how I am doing compared to the rest of the world for a certain game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I actually thought Amnesia would be in the top 3 with that pricing. I'm shocked it isn't selling way more. It's such a great game with awesome word of mouth...

Scythian

Yes, Amnesia should be on the top 10 at least, it's an awesome game, and, considering myself a survival horror fan, we desperately need more titles like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom