• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Why the heck does Metal Gear Rising have so many damn optional codec conversations?

The obsessive side of me wants to hear them all but most of them are....boring and very long winded.

Fuck it, the gameplay is good enough - time to ignore :p

If you want to listen to them I suggest you press Y to skip and just read the captions.

Would take a ridiculous amount of time otherwise.

So we switch threads every 200 pages?

NeoGAF has a 20,000 post limit.

Jawmuncher

I guess it's good for those fans (not that I don't like the MGS series), but the way I'm constantly bringing up conversations at the moment feels like a really weird contrast to the actual pace of the gameplay.

Might just not bother with them from now on and go for that achievement on a potential future playthrough.

I'm not going to miss anything important story wise by skipping them am I?

You won't be missing anything substantial at all from skipping them.
It's more just interesting tidbits here and there.

kulapik

Let's start the thread title discussion! Well, it already started, but who cares:

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - Sorry, no refunds accepted.
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - Truly the year of the Steambox
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - Cheer up, Steam is gifting you games
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - SEGA not included
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - It's pronounced Sharsha.

NeoGAF has a 20,000 post limit.

Not actually, is just a convenience limit :p

20k posts is the cut-off point, yes.

Haha, I even had to switch from the Russian store to the Aussie store in order to get the price. ;)

I didn't care about the price, figured I'd edit it in later... just wanted to beat Turfster and Jshacks to the punch if possible since nobody put it up.

What a disappointing daily.

Hasney

Now Available on Steam - Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 - 25% off: #SteamNewRelease bit.ly/1iuhzTW

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Someone somewhere must be thinking that, surely

Dr Dogg

Why the heck does Metal Gear Rising have so many damn optional codec conversations?

The obsessive side of me wants to hear them all but most of them are....boring and very long winded.

Fuck it, the gameplay is good enough - time to ignore :p

Hey at least they're optional. MGS 2 upon release you had to sit through about 8 hours of them.

Tenrius

Hey at least they're optional. MGS 2 upon release you had to sit through about 8 hours of them.

That's an overexaggeration. I think my latest MGS2 playthrough was like 10-12 hours, and I listened to pretty much all the codec conversations available.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of new releases:

20% off for the first week ($11.99).

That's not the Army Men I remember.
196644_41714_front1.jpg

All the games were hot garbage but they had charm.

EDIT: Confused this with the other army men game....point still stands.

Dr Dogg

That's an overexaggeration. I think my latest MGS2 playthrough was like 10-12 hours, and I listened to pretty much all the codec conversations available.

Hahaha well of course. Saying that though I can do both Tanker and Plant skipping cutscenes and codec calls in about 3 to 3 and half hours and the record over at Speed Demos Archive is 1:37.

JustinBB7

Just tried out the in-home streaming beta, streamed AC4 to my sisters computer. She doesn't have it at all and was able to play on her own computer while it was running on mine. We could both use the controls at the same time as well. Fun stuff, worked REALLY well.

Steam stepping it up. Now use this technology for twitch streaming.

denx

How long do Indie Gala system maintenances usually last? I've been waiting for almost an hour to buy the January bundle and still nothing.

fantomena

Thief is 50% off on Gameliebe (24,90€). It's a german digital shop, bought Grid 2 there last year. No problem, only had to wait about 30 min for the key to show up.

Personally, I mjust gonna wait for a dirt cheap Thief sale on Amazon.

Tellaerin

Uh.

"Good" is cultural.

"Like" is personal.

Good is culturally objective, while like is personally subjective. We have these words for a reason; please use them appropriately. Don't get caught up in post-modernist nonsense about how it's all subjective; it isn't.

What criteria would you apply to determine whether a game is objectively good or bad, then? Once we move beyond pure functionality (How stable and feature-complete is this game? How well does it perform on the platform it was coded for?), we're firmly in the territory of individual taste. There are no absolute metrics to measure play mechanics and overall "feel", aesthetics, or the amount and quality of story-related content (if any) by. The best we can do there is to point to the things that enough of us like, based on the properties they possess, and call those things "good". Of course it's not as simple as that - some opinions are weighted more highly than others in our culture (critical vs. popular opinion, for example) but in the end it's very much a subjective judgment regardless.

Dammit, I need 4 xp. :|
Are there 4 cheap games I can pay $1 for or something? I think I have all the humble stuff... I suppose I should check indiegala and indieroyale.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Strange. I owned a copy of Half-Life (1) on Steam for quite some time now, I've played the copy of Half-Life a couple of times, but now Steam says I don't own it at all? It's not in my library list and when checking out the store it acts as though I need to purchase it for the first time.

I've going through the Steam support requirements, but who knows if that will result in anything.

Dr Dogg

Strange. I owned a copy of Half-Life (1) on Steam for quite some time now, I've played the copy of Half-Life a couple of times, but now Steam says I don't own it at all? It's not in my library list and when checking out the store it acts as though I need to purchase it for the first time.

I've going through the Steam support requirements, but who knows if that will result in anything.

There was that recent bug with Valve games having their names switched. Don't know if anyone found a solution a few pages back but it's was clearing some preferences out via a browser link.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I checked, but nothing else seems renamed and nothing appears to be Half-Life when I look into it's files or properties.

Dammit, I need 4 xp. :|
Are there 4 cheap games I can pay $1 for or something? I think I have all the humble stuff... I suppose I should check indiegala and indieroyale.

http://store.steampowered.com/searc...gory1=998&sort_by=Price&sort_order=ASC&page=1

I recommend Fortix if you don't have it, Super Sanctum TD is a good small Tower Defence.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
There was that recent bug with Valve games having their names switched. Don't know if anyone found a solution a few pages back but it's was clearing some preferences out via a browser link.

Must have missed that. Just took a look and I no longer have Portal, but I am a...uh...proud...new owner of Counter Strike Source.

Cizard

Hope this works~

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

GTA Vice City -- MB-CCE9A2506ACCDEF1 - Taken by webrunner. 23 entrants total.

t1390600074z1.png

denx

Bit of a noob question: I want to buy the Indie Gala January bundle as a gift, but the gift option on the page kinda confuses me. It seems like to buy the bundle as a gift, I should put the email of the person I want to gift the bundle to and ignore the gift option. Is that right?

I really want to check out The Inner World, but I think I'll probably wait. I'm one card away from getting The Raven, and am finally going to start Broken Age today, now that I finished Metal Gear Rising.

Metal Gear Rising was a really great experience. I've been struggling to learn how to play the genre right, after playing Bayonetta wrong when that first came out, and probably not getting my fullest out of DMC4. DmC was a nice primer for getting my head in the right place, but I think Rising is my favorite character action game I've played so far.

Taking the time to learn all of the systems, and observe enemy "tells", and such was a super rewarding experience. Playing it on Hard really was the way to go, too. It was a really nice balance of forcing you to play the game right, and fair difficulty. I died a bunch, but it was always productive, since I was learning more about how the enemies function. Also the Codec stuff was really good. I'm looking forward to going back, and finally playing the rest of the series.

So yes, I had a great time with that, and everyone should play it.

Back to adventure games.

Bit of a noob question: I want to buy the Indie Gala January bundle as a gift, but the gift option on the page kinda confuses me. It seems like to buy the bundle as a gift, I should put the email of the person I want to gift the bundle to and ignore the gift option. Is that right?

The gift option costs an additional dollar for some reason, so yeah I believe your option works. That person will probably get the receipt from PayPal, or where ever though, so maybe take that into consideration.

Backlogger

That works. You just have to make sure if you use your same email that you check the gift box, otherwise the amount you pay gets applied to your previous purchase and you won't get the second set of keys.

The FAQ also states you cannot add a gift to your profile, so if your friend has an Indie Gala account already and you just want to buy it for them probably better just to use their email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom