• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprising....those are the best 3 outside of FF3 (6).
Most praise I hear for 9. While 8 gets least, even a lot of disdain. The sixth, yes, I heard a lot about that as well! But that I'd rather play an SNES emulator. The new visuals are not to my liking. The old pixel art is more pleasing.

tuxfool

Banned
Most praise I hear for 9. While 8 gets least, even a lot of disdain. The sixth, yes, I heard a lot about that as well! But that I'd rather play an SNES emulator. The new visuals are not to my liking. The old pixel art is more pleasing.

You could also play 12 on an emulator. The game still looks good today (plus you can get an english patched IZJS version). Originally on PS2 the resolution was so low it utterly destroyed the image quality of the game, but the art design of the game definitely holds up. Game is pretty large too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Back to my previous mention of Chrono Cross... I've never finished it. I played through Trigger so, so many times. I've gotten nearly all of the endings on SNES, and have definitely done all that I know of through emulator.

Put this game on Steam. Let me correct this injustice. Without my lingering Trigger fandom intruding, I think I can finally enjoy Cross for what it is: batshit time/place/dimension insanity.

Chrono Cross was great, and I honestly think it could benefit from a PC release as it's easily one of the best looking PS1 games out there. I remember back in 2000, I preordered the game and got this bitchin' clock

EMg3U.jpg

Which I still have

Do I really have to confirm every one of each cards that I want to list on the market on the steam app now?
It's a chore already selling 25 cards previously. I can't imagine people who have hundreds of cards ready to be sold.

Parsnip

In my opinion, FF9 is the second best FF game. FF12 is still the best.
And actually I think 13-2 of all things is the third best.

In my opinion, FF9 is the second best FF game. FF12 is still the best.
And actually I think 13-2 of all things is the third best.

Pretty close, but it's the other way around for me.
FFIX is my number one favorite, while FFXII is my second, followed by FFVII.

Oof. 90% of the battles in FF9 are against single monsters.
So that "Kill 10k monsters" achievement? That might as well be "fight 10k battles".

Bleah.

Also review pages are still down.
Can't access my wishlist.

What the freak Valve?

Oof. 90% of the battles in FF9 are against single monsters.
So that "Kill 10k monsters" achievement? That might as well be "fight 10k battles".

Bleah.

Also review pages are still down. What the freak Valve?

I don't care about achievements but that is lame. And yeah a lot of the battles in FF9 are against single targets.

I still can't load the games section on my profile, at least in the client.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
1OVXwng.png

Totally forgot Enhanced Steam did this. Happy 6 years to me.

Also, this is the updated list now:

• Final Fantasy I
  • Final Fantasy II
    Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
    Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII​
  • Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X-2​
  • Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings​
  • Final Fantasy XV

Out of these, what do you guys think will be next for PC?

There are also Final Fantasy Tactics, Crystal Defenders, and Final Fantasy Dimensions that have existing mobile ports that might be prime candidates for a PC re-release.

jshackles

Yeah, hopefully now that FFIX is finally out they'll stop just sitting on X/X-2.

You're probably right - X/X-2 is like the worst kept secret as far as it's PC port goes. Hopefully since they have a PS4 version to work with it will be a decently competent port. And even though I played through X and most of X-2 recently on PS4,
I'd still buy it.

One day though...
Final Fantasy Dimensions on PC will be a reality. Please?

GaussTek

Final Fantasy IX and Danganronpa 2 bought. AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?

Still haven't played the first Danganronpa and have some FF games on my backlog, like V and VI :(

With all this talk, out of all the Final Fantasy games on Steam, which one would you recommend for someone who's never played one before?

I think the last time I asked this question to someone, it led me to adding III and VII to my wishlist. Would either of those be a good starting point? If so, which one?

GaussTek

Lol, I'm trying, but I think shouldn't have started my JRPG backlog with Tales of Symphonia, damn that game is SO LONG (but fun).

With all this talk, out of all the Final Fantasy games on Steam, which one would you recommend for someone who's never played one before?

I think the last time I asked this question to someone, it led me to adding III and VII to my wishlist. Would either of those be a good starting point? If so, which one?

I think that the just released Final Fantasy IX is really a safe bet (IMO).

4 is a good start. Mainly because it shows you what the classes are in general and what Final Fantasy is from a general look.

7 is critically acclaimed but more or less after 7 came out, minus 9 (which is kind of a 3D version of a throwback game with typical classes), the games kinda became their own thing.

So personally I think 4 and 7 are good starts. Probably another one between 1-3 but, I don't know which one to tell you. I personally love 9 as well so that is another good start as well.

Amzin

The thing is, the games are quite varied from the standpoint of characters / story / underlying RPG mechanics. Personally I have always (and probably will always) say that VI is the best because
it is
, and VIII is the worst, but you have people that LIKE VIII so clearly the variation works for some. VII is almost universally regarded as decent or one of the best, and it pretty much brought FF into more of a mainstream area.

III is wonky and while I enjoyed it, it was like the 5th or 6th FF that I'd played and probably the 30th RPG I'd played so I dunno if I'd start with it :p

FFIX is the perfect entry point for Final Fantasy game.
It's pretty light-hearted while still maintaining the essence of a Final Fantasy game.

Your computers might just be dirty and overheating. All you may need to do is open it up, clean it out and change your thermal paste.

I cleaned it recently but I haven't change the thermal paste for a while.

I'm not entirely sure, it's i3, so at least 5 years old? It's Dell Inspiron and they have onverheating problem, but it never was meant for gaming so I didn't paid much attention then. I bought Mitsubishi laptop, much better one later, but I gave it away for someone in need.
and my laptops usually don't live much longer past 4-5 years anyway, or PCs, or anything.

mine must have been born dirty, because it tended to overheat from a day one!
thanks for advice, anyway

Mine has been going for 6 years, also a Dell Inspiron.

kurahador

Up for Pre-order ($40)

That pre-order offer though:
Send Your Name into (almost) Space

We will literally take your name and launch it into the upper stratosphere on a weather balloon, and we´ll film the whole thing! Some day, extraterrestrial life may know that you dared to reach out to them! Must have a Paradox Account linked to your Steam Account to have your name included; must link accounts before June 1, 2016 to qualify.

Phinor

I just wish Paradox would let me buy the game they are making and DLCs.
I don't care if it'd cost €200. Still cheaper than buying them all piecemeal.

Stardock has been doing that with few of their games. $100 for Galactic Civilizations 3 and all of the DLC, same for Ashes of the Singularity. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but at least it's an option for your most devoted fans. Of course you don't really know what you are buying and that offer is only available before release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Out of these, what do you guys think will be next for PC?

1 and 2 have mobile ports but they're pretty low impact and not a priority to port to PC.

X/X-2 HD is clearly being released at some point

XII HD is being made so presumably I would say the PC port would follow the console release a while later.

The three spinoffs identified (Crisis Core, Dirge, and Revenant Wings) are definitely never going to get ported. You're not missing much. Crisis Core is kinda entertaining from a "it's 2008 and I want to play a good looking game on my handheld also smartphones don't exist yet" perspective, the other two have nothing to offer. I don't feel like SE has done much to acknowledge Dimensions but technically that's plausible. Can't see Crystal Defenders ever getting a port.

So I would guess:
2016: X/X-2 HD
2017: 1 and 2 -> XV -> ??? Tactics
2018: XII HD

Absolutely no special knowledge here this is just my blind speculation.

Phinor

Ucchedavāda;200967362 said:
The basic version is also up for pre-order on GMG, but the price in GBP is greater than the price on Steam (in EUR). However, it's about 12% cheaper than Steam if you use the APR20 voucher. Might be even cheaper in other regions:
https://www.greenmangaming.com/search/stellaris

That's weird. GMG has bumped up the euro/UK prices on the regular version. It's 45€ at GMG, 40€ everywhere else. Also 20% off at Gamesplanet so for euro users that's 31.99€.

jshackles

1 and 2 have mobile ports but they're pretty low impact and not a priority to port to PC.

X/X-2 HD is clearly being released at some point

XII HD is being made so presumably I would say the PC port would follow the console release a while later.

The three spinoffs identified (Crisis Core, Dirge, and Revenant Wings) are definitely never going to get ported. You're not missing much. Crisis Core is kinda entertaining from a "it's 2008 and I want to play a good looking game on my handheld also smartphones don't exist yet" perspective, the other two have nothing to offer. I don't feel like SE has done much to acknowledge Dimensions but technically that's plausible. Can't see Crystal Defenders ever getting a port.

So I would guess:
2016: X/X-2 HD
2017: 1 and 2 -> XV -> ??? Tactics
2018: XII HD

Absolutely no special knowledge here this is just my blind speculation.

I'd like to keep myself in the wonderful delusion that we might see Crisis Core re-released on PS4 / PC
/ Vita?
as a run up to the Final Fantasy VII remake. The game scales pretty well and the models are already fairly high resolution. The hud/menus would need some work but overall it would probably be worthwhile for them.

Obviously they could do a lot with this, but I don't have any faith in them putting any actual effort into porting it. The game was generally well received and despite the "don't touch my precious Final Fantasy VII" fanboys, I believe most people felt it was a worthy addition to the VII story arc overall. HLTB shows it be (on average) around 26 hours combined, which is a great length for something that was originally a PSP game and would fit well as a "budget" title similar to Type-0.

Dirge of Cerberus might get a similar treatment in my super fantasy world, but I doubt it as that game literally flew in the face of established canon and was generally unliked by everyone. I'll also agree that Revenant Wings was trash and should be left as a relic of the DS era.

And since we're discussing it, we might as well throw Mystic Quest into the mix. I love Mystic Quest but there is no way in hell we'll ever see a proper remake, nor should we. That game is another that's a total byproduct of it's time. Along the same lines, we'll probably not see PC versions of other spin-offs such as Chocobo Racing / Dungeon or Crystal Chronicles.

I'll also agree that it's only a matter of time before we see 1, 2, and Tactics.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not a Souls person; not a big FF9 person either, but it clears the way for 10, 12 and 15 on PC.

Rapture is actually a game for which I'm excited.

yea rapture is just a really niche game like most walking simulators are

i was interested in it until i read the reviews

For sure for sure, even though I'm not sure last hitting is a thing in Battleborn. But yeah these games require some time before you have some basic understanding and in order to get you to devote that initial time, they should be way more approachable. Which is why I really hope Battleborn gets a long ass tutorial and advises you to play against bots at the beginning.
Well I don't think this is aimed at people playing lol or dota or hots (at least I hope so). But a lot of people play fps so they might look at such a game and say: "Oh ok I'll be one of the cool kids and play a moba but I will still shoot at folks' heads."
And even though the art style and the humor are supposed to bring people in, I don't think I can show this game to any of my friends that don't play a lot of games/aren't already looking for something like this.
it's tough

i don't know about hots but league and doto are impossible to get into and im guessing for battleborn they streamlined a lot of stuff to make it less dumb which is nice but i also don't know exactly who it appeals

i guess boredlands players? there's a lot of those tbh but still feels like a game without an audience to me

that's the difference with overwatch, overwatch is not really a moba, but it takes the hero design part from mobas and just makes a cool shooter. that feels a lot more sensible to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom