• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

[....] not rekt.
[ V ] REKT.

cebQqB7.jpg

Funnily enough, most people were running Doom 3 in the resolution Quantum Break is rendering at.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
And since we're discussing it, we might as well throw Mystic Quest into the mix. I love Mystic Quest but there is no way in hell we'll ever see a proper remake, nor should we. That game is another that's a total byproduct of it's time. Along the same lines, we'll probably not see PC versions of other spin-offs such as Chocobo Racing / Dungeon or Crystal Chronicles.

The only way we see Mystic Quest is if there's a general purpose SNES emulator sold on Steam and it's released for that.

Balthuk

it's tough

i don't know about hots but league and doto are impossible to get into and im guessing for battleborn they streamlined a lot of stuff to make it less dumb which is nice but i also don't know exactly who it appeals

i guess boredlands players? there's a lot of those tbh but still feels like a game without an audience to me

that's the difference with overwatch, overwatch is not really a moba, but it takes the hero design part from mobas and just makes a cool shooter. that feels a lot more sensible to me

Yeah overwatch really appealed to me from the very first moment I saw gameplay.
But I mean if I started like league or dota today without knowing a thing I guess I couldn't do it but at least these games have huge player bases supporting them and hyping them up.
Hots tried to attract people by making the whole thing easier/simpler. And hey, Battleborn is simple, simpler than a moba. But it doesn't communicate its strengths as well. We'll see how it goes.

Silent Hill 3 (2003)
oldmangifi4uy1.gif

Is that really what it looked like in 2003? Can't be, right?

And since we're discussing it, we might as well throw Mystic Quest into the mix. I love Mystic Quest but there is no way in hell we'll ever see a proper remake, nor should we. That game is another that's a total byproduct of it's time. Along the same lines, we'll probably not see PC versions of other spin-offs such as Chocobo Racing / Dungeon or Crystal Chronicles.

The only way we see Mystic Quest is if there's a general purpose SNES emulator sold on Steam and it's released for that.

I loved that game, too. It was distinctly easier than the core games, though.

I wouldn't have counted on it ever being remade either, but now they're pushing this Final Fantasy Portal app for iOS. They're constantly moving content toward it, so I don't think a Mystic Quest port is all that outlandish, despite its awful sales over here in NA.

I loaded it up just a second ago and saw that they have a devoted Triple Triad game on it.

Here lies my productivity for the afternoon, gone before it had a chance to be born.

FLD

This triggers me so hard.

1aLXCK1.png

Why is it that Ubisoft of all companies is the only one (that I'm aware of) that deals with this shit? I mean, from what I understand, it's kind of a trivial fix, right?

Balthuk

I don't think so.

Still, SH3 looked amazing for its time.
Even today it's a looker.

Oh crap. You're right. I didn't notice the textures on his coat.

Emulator. But the detail and facial feature itself is indeed from the game.

We need Silent Hill complete collection on PC.
Someone tweet Night Dive Studios.
Silent Hill old man was used as a "look what kind of amazing stuff the PS2 can do" back then. It's one of those things that always looked good.

Oh I see.
I wish my area had more used ps2 games available (or dirt cheap ps3/xbox 360 console). There are so many games I've missed but hell I ain't paying 15 bucks for used ps2 games that have been collecting dust for a decade or two.
--
Totally unrelated. Is there a reason for the "reason for editing" box? Is it just for mods to check sometimes?

Jawmuncher

Lords of the Fallen is kinda wonky. I get what it's going for, but after playing so much souls it just feels off. Mainly with how the animations play out.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah overwatch really appealed to me from the very first moment I saw gameplay.
But I mean if I started like league or dota today without knowing a thing I guess I couldn't do it but at least these games have huge player bases supporting them and hyping them up.
Hots tried to attract people by making the whole thing easier/simpler. And hey, Battleborn is simple, simpler than a moba. But it doesn't communicate its strengths as well. We'll see how it goes.
the problem with mobas is that insane complexity is kind of the point, so if you take much of that away then you lose a lot of what makes them special

i should investigate a bit more about battleborn but i guess the moba-lite genre is a thing that could happen, it just needs to be willing to accept it's not gonna be nowhere as successful as real mobas (cos for one, it's not f2p)

Is that really what it looked like in 2003? Can't be, right?
it didn't cos it was rendered on a much lower res (remember we all had sdtvs back then). ps2 i think could upres to 1080 but i imagine that thing looked pretty blurry

but yeah texture work during the late ps2 era was amazing

look at mgs3, ff12, valkyrie profile 2, silent hill 3 and 4, those games look amazing on emulator

Lords of the Fallen is kinda wonky. I get what it's going for, but after playing so much souls it just feels off. Mainly with how the animations play out.
i played it for a couple hours and had to drop it

everything felt so sluggish and slow, and i kind of hate how it looks. there are some good ideas in it i guess but it was an absolute failure for me

Anteater

it didn't cos it was rendered on a much lower res (remember we all had sdtvs back then). ps2 i think could upres to 1080 but i imagine that thing looked pretty blurry

look at mgs3, ff12, valkyrie profile 2, silent hill 3 and 4, those games look amazing on emulator

did you guys forget SH2-4 came out on pc :p we had high res monitors back then

Balthuk

the problem with mobas is that insane complexity is kind of the point, so if you take much of that away then you lose a lot of what makes them special

i should investigate a bit more about battleborn but i guess the moba-lite genre is a thing that could happen, it just needs to be willing to accept it's not gonna be nowhere as successful as real mobas (cos for one, it's not f2p)

Well everybody is making mobas all around but I don't know if most know what made lol and dota so successful and what it takes for them to be dethroned.
But that's how it goes. They just die before their feet. Just like MMORPGS and wow.

I really should look into emulators, only tried once and that was a long time ago.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shattered dimensions 75% off, dont mind if I do. I assume rise of the dark spark is supposed to be 75% off aswell since the dlc is?

Tizoc

shattered dimensions 75% off, dont mind if I do. I assume rise of the dark spark is supposed to be 75% off aswell since the dlc is?

I don't recommend Dark Spark personally.
War and Fall are enough if you want the shooter TF games.

Annubis

Well everybody is making mobas all around but I don't know if most know what made lol and dota so successful and what it takes for them to be dethroned.
But that's how it goes. They just die before their feet. Just like MMORPGS and wow.

As a LoL person, I'll say that LoL becoming a sport inspired e-sport is what makes it strong.
You can basically watch a handful of pro games every week with the LCS (or more if you follow all the regions) and after the LCS the leagues combine into the world tournament.
That's literally how people consume real sport and it works just as well with e-sports.

Crisis Core is amazing, Zack Fair is easily the best FF character and is actually one of my favorite characters in gaming. If Crisis Core was ported to PC I'd easily buy it again.

That is all.

Balthuk

I mean yeah. PC would be at 60% sold if not for the Pirates.

Well if it wasn't for the consoles PC would be 100% and vice versa.(meaning that it's kind of irrelevant I guess? I dunno ignore the first sentence, it's a bad example)
The fact that piracy exists and is easier on pc doesn't mean you should avoid that market. (not that you are saying that , don't get me wrong)
Still I have this belief half baked in me that free to play is the most "fair" way a game can be priced, as it allows people of all incomes to play the game. How the f2p is implemented correctly so that it's fair to both players and devs is another topic though.

Edited for clearing things out.

Accoun

Just gonna ask again here for good measure: What might cause my very weird Dark Souls 3 lag spikes?
Everytime my character gets hit by an enemy (and only then!) my framerate drops down from around 50 down to 6 for about two seconds AND my CPU usage also drops significantly (see screenshot).
Yes, I tried changing all the settings, no, all the fixes for some of the other lag issues people encounter did not work.
Might have something to do with my hitbox?

NEVERMIND!
Fixed it.
I had to turn of the ******* controller vibration.
I don't even.....

Wow. Didn't expect to see controller vibration as a huge performance hog after Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. Is this any common in DS3, or was my friend just very unlucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom