• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I wonder how Konami is going to price Ground Zeroes.
Though if they do stick with the 30 it'll be 50% off by the winter sale if it's out before then since the digital versions went on sale for that much pretty quick.

Well I'm in two minds. I've played it to a reasonable level on PS3 and seen about 33-50% of the content so wouldn't be tempted to double dip unless the price was to my liking (£20ish) but then again it looked fucking hideous to what I'm used to so being able to throw some horsepower at it and get a feel to how TPP could perform later on might just make me buy it again regardless. That and Here's To You was awesome to pop on the Walkman whilst sneaking around doing the side content.

Levyne

Banned
I'd say of the Lords of Shadow games, the first one is the only one I liked.

MoF wasn't for me but I could recommend it for those that want a 2D casltevania, but LoS2 left so much to be desired.

I enjoyed LoS 2 more once I got into the combat challenges on the harder mode, but playing through the actual game is a boring slog.

I still think that people should give the first one a try, even if it has uneven pacing and bundles kind of a hodge podge of ideas.

NotSelf

What a week.

ModBot said:
Instructions for NotSelf:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NotSelf, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-73A1E8416167AFF6 - Taken by wagamer
Rocketbirds -- MB-7DB3717CC107B01F - Taken by trailmix16
Zombie Apocalypse -- MB-DD6385B4EF818935 - Taken by VikasNarula
Restaurant Empire II -- MB-8D586E0BC6595DF5 - Taken by factorone

Peace all:)

Evrain

Though if they do stick with the 30 it'll be 50% off by the winter sale if it's out before then since the digital versions went on sale for that much pretty quick.
Should they not follow the "FIFA policy" (which they religiously apply to PES), I expect them to price the games as aggressively as Revengeance, which means sales + Nuuvem = a rather massive horde of purchases. If Kojima is indeed at the PC version's helm things might turn out mighty good, considering also how he purposefully developed Fox Engine for PC first and foremost.

It's pretty fun watching people play PT.

But then, reactions while playing horror games are how a lot of youtubers got famous.

It's a testament to that game that just watching someone play it leaves me occasionally checking my pants. I think it's legit scary and that most people aren't playing up the reactions.

Now, this is an L shaped hallway that must've been really interesting to design for. Surely the real game will be a completely different beast.

I really hope they price it right. I think MGR was $30 at the PC launch, but I don't know how late PC version was after the Console version.

$20 would be really nice given it's basically a 'prologue'

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone tried this site?

http://www.nextvideogame.com/

Apparently this guys is trying to increase the relevancy of the Steam recommendations page. You can read about how it works here. Looks like it might be a pretty good replacement for Steam Roulette or others that are just totally random.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't know about that. Steam Roulette "recommends" games from your library. The tool you linked recommends games you don't own for you to buy.

Ah good point, didn't realize that. Oh well, seems like a pretty cool project though. :)

Dr Dogg

Anyone tried this site?

Apparently this guys is trying to increase the relevancy of the Steam recommendations page. You can read about how it works here. Looks like it might be a pretty good replacement for Steam Roulette or others that are just totally random.

Interesting stuff. Gave some good recommendations for the few games I popped in (and yes i did enter Bad Rats and it returned a list of puzzlers and platformers that were arguable a lot better). One thing I did notice during the methodology page was about the low number of API calls per day. Sure 100,000 is quite a lot for a small application but with something with the install base of Enhanced Steam you'd have to be real smart about that. Off the top of my head I think Ebay's is in the millions and separated per function calls.

Turfster

... and I'm back early.

Hegemony Rome: The Rise of Caesar is 80% off on the Steam store.
Humble Daily Papo & Yo 75% off
Humble Weekend Total War Franchise up to 75% off

Pressure was added to the Indieroyale Topware bundle

Grief.exe

I really hope they price it right. I think MGR was $30 at the PC launch, but I don't know how late PC version was after the Console version.

$20 would be really nice given it's basically a 'prologue'

MGR was $30 base price, but they aggressively cut it down to $20 for a pre-order.
I can easily see them doing the same for GZ with the release time frames being roughly the same.

jshackles

Interesting stuff. Gave some good recommendations for the few games I popped in (and yes i did enter Bad Rats and it returned a list of puzzlers and platformers that were arguable a lot better). One thing I did notice during the methodology page was about the low number of API calls per day. Sure 100,000 is quite a lot for a small application but with something with the install base of Enhanced Steam you'd have to be real smart about that. Off the top of my head I think Ebay's is in the millions and separated per function calls.

Yeah, and on top of the daily limit there is also now a "10 requests every 10 seconds" cap on user-initiated API requests. Makes things somewhat painful at times.

It wants me to buy so much stuff that I don't want.
You can only do so much I guess with that sort of engine.

True, same here. But it's an interesting premise that gives just a tiny glimpse into what would actually be capable if Valve really put effort into this sort of thing.

Anteater

god those gold robots in mitsurugi kamui hikae are annoying when you fight a few at the same time, can't counter that stupid charging attack reliably and it's easy to get caught up in their combos when they're all attacking at the same time

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
A new hint from a new blog post for that Japanese Action Game Ghostlight just signed:

"Lastly, I’m really pleased to report that we have now officially signed the game that I’ve been hinting at over the last couple of months. Unfortunately we won’t be able to announce it just yet, but do keep your eyes peeled for more information in the coming weeks. Just to remind you all, the game in question is an action title that was originally released on console in Japan, so we’re getting busy with the process of converting the title over to PC for an upcoming release on Steam. More on this soon…"

I'm looking forward to finding out what the game is, but I'll probably be disappointed.

I suddenly had this thought... what if it's Muramasa!
that would be great

I'd buy a port of the Vita version since I already own the Wii version.

Thanks for all the birthday well wishes fellas. It is now officially not my birthday, though I am continuing drinking since I started the celebration so late. Special thanks to freshVeggie who gifted me Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator. Been wanting to try it out for a while, now I just gotta convince a bunch of other people that they want to play it too.

Happy birthday!

Deques

Does anyone know if you can send gifts from your inventory from steam mobile?

The Steam app? Nope
But if you use Chrome (if on Android) then you can change to desktop version of Steam. Then you can send the gifts like you do in a desktop computer

Lomax

Does anyone know if you can send gifts from your inventory from steam mobile?

You can't even see your inventory in the android app, but I don't know about the iPhone app. You could always just use a browser, should work there, though if you've never logged in before you'll be locked out of trading for a week on that device.

Yeah, and on top of the daily limit there is also now a "10 requests every 10 seconds" cap on user-initiated API requests. Makes things somewhat painful at times.

True, same here. But it's an interesting premise that gives just a tiny glimpse into what would actually be capable if Valve really put effort into this sort of thing.

I personally would love to have a more visual way of recommending games.
You could have some sort of graph with the reference game in the middle and vertices that lead to other nodes. Those vertices could be weighted according to community votes (+ or -).

You could also display data using multiple criteria. For example if you wanted to use both metacritic score and the average story mode duration (assuming you can get such information) you could plot each of these on an axis (X and Y). You could even add a third criteria by representing the game (a circle) in different sizes... like the price, for example.

I thought about throwing something together but I don't really have the time nor the skills (I'm really rusty).

So yeah... Valve could do a lot of cool things... but we should be thankful we got a brand spanking new blue icon.

Vecks

Is Sacred Citadel any good?

It's alright, IMO. I like to play it in short bursts, and plan on completing the story mode eventually. Pretty standard brawler with simple loot and leveling. Enemies can take a long time to kill if your gear isn't optimal. Online is dead.

Anyone tried this site?

Did I miss something? Even Steam does a better job with recommendations. This site just recommended me a bunch of old but popular games that's been on sales a million times already. There's a reason I don't own them.

It should take sales, release dates, number of games I have (to determine how aware I am) etc in consideration before something like that could prove itself useful. And I still think that high profile games everybody already know about should not show up at all. Same with wishlist items. Tags could potentially work great with finding red threads within your library though.

I'm looking forward to finding out what the game is, but I'll probably be disappointed.
I'd say chances are you might not have heard about it before. :)

gillty

Banned
Thanks for this. Guess I'll treat it as a demo for the PS4 version since not sure if I want to get it yet.

I keep on hearing though the community is pretty much dead on PC.

Not true at all Garden Warfare is alive and kicking on the PC, day or night I have yet to not be matchmaked into a full server of Gardens and Graveyards.

Lomax

Just updated my Humble Bundle app and it's amazing the number of game soundtracks I own from that site
- 159 if you care
. It's hard to judge which go from "good background music in a game" to something I'd want to listen to on its own though.

tav7623

I joined on 2012, my first game was L4D2 for $4.99. I was pretty shocked when I saw that you can get legal games for so cheap right from my place.

I know the feeling, it's awesome especially if it's a title you loved/used to own or have always wanted to play.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Hero of the Kingtom -- MB-D676160AE9475411 - Taken by SSPssp
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-14A8C9FBCF3F918E - Taken by danhese007
Restaurant Empire II -- MB-BE841B3CEE881965 - Taken by Zero-Crescent
Home Sheep Home 2 -- MB-560C1D55DF1A0B0B - Taken by redlacs
Gateways -- MB-FB779889F4B71967 - Taken by Lomax
Hamilton's Great Adventure -- MB-B386C22629840330 - Taken by topyy
InFlux -- MB-323631DF348C11EE - Taken by PandaPandaPanda

Dylan

Holy shit, the default steam icon has changed!! How long has this been? Was there a dedicated thread for this?? THIS IS BIG, PEOPLE!

dot

The Steam app? Nope
But if you use Chrome (if on Android) then you can change to desktop version of Steam. Then you can send the gifts like you do in a desktop computer

You can't even see your inventory in the android app, but I don't know about the iPhone app. You could always just use a browser, should work there, though if you've never logged in before you'll be locked out of trading for a week on that device.

outside of viewing the store and buying...the mobile app is useless.

Ah sorry, forgot to clarify...i meant from the steam app. I checked the iphone app and i could view the inventory but wasn't sure if you could gift someone from there.

I guess i could just do it from the browser then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom