• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Not true at all Garden Warfare is alive and kicking on the PC, day or night I have yet to not be matchmaked into a full server of Gardens and Graveyards.

Yeah I really don't know where this information is coming from about the game being dead. It's incredibly active - any time of the week, night or day I've been able to get a match in 5 - 10secs or so.

I have more trouble finding games of Titanfall tbh.

Some free games left over from Bundles.

ModBot said:
Instructions for General_Frags:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (General_Frags, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orcs Must Die! 2: Family Ties -- MB-37EA921DA99483AD - Taken by swx. 1 entrants total.
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-0CECE1E2858E077E - Taken by kurahador. 5 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2: Are We There Yeti? -- MB-153BA8F71BA7F69A - Taken by Vastag. 4 entrants total.
Hamilton's Great Adventure -- MB-136A3C272EBDDE32 - Taken by Benedict. 11 entrants total.
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken #2 -- MB-2F6B6EA88A283DC4 - Taken by deadflower81. 3 entrants total.
Steel Storm Complete -- MB-B00971E1CDE8EED9 - Taken by ReduxMachine. 1 entrants total.
Gateways -- MB-177EE51CDF0EE690 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Steel and Steam Episode 1 -- MB-577EA126B1D332B5 - Taken by NingenJanai. 2 entrants total.
Restaurant Empire II -- MB-1D52BA484668D402 - Taken by darkchewie. 4 entrants total.
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising -- MB-A6D15CD0C9796F6D - Taken by Casimir. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Orcs Must Die! 2: Family Ties was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Orcs Must Die! 2: Are We There Yeti? was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1408218495z1.png

JustLynx

No idea.
It's bizarre that the DDE is half the price of the "normal" edition

I'm really tempted to buy this now, it's like 3 keys from a Russian i think

Edit: after watching some let's play, it seems at a very very early stage, but i'm still tempted, just because I loved the classics, played them and finished them as a kid...
decisions decisions...

C4rter

Is it worth the price? I know 8,55€ is already very cheap but the game seems really, really far from completion.
I don't think I would play it in it's current condition.

JustLynx

Is it worth the price? I know 8,55€ is already very cheap but the game seems really, really far from completion.
I don't think I would play it in it's current condition.

it's not even close to completion, but i don't think it'll be that cheap again for a looong time
81% and add to that another 50% from russia... its like 5$
the game was a kickstarter so i doubt they'll throw it in a bundle anytime soon

Does that mean they are rerendering the images above the original resolution? That would probably make this the best looking game ever lol.

in the main thread, some ppl compared screenshots and, indeed, there are some things in the backgrounds that are being changed.

It's a little weird that they're bothering but maybe there was some stuff that didn't hold up or wasn't well archived or something ::shrugs::

edit: here are some comparisons

http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/94347226792/so-i-decided-to-take-even-more-comparison
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/94347455577/and-heres-the-remaining-screenshots-i-took-the

I took even more screenshot comparisons. I think a couple are noteworthy:

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o4_1280.png

Someone already pointed it out, but these plants are redone in the new version. And when looking at the original in motion, I'd say it's obvious why, because they look really messy because of animating jpeg compression artifacts.

tumblr_na3mznB1dP1tiz823o2_1280.png

tumblr_na3mznB1dP1tiz823o3_1280.png

Same thing with the foilage here. It's also super messy in the original version with how it animates. Hopefully in the new version they do animate well. Would be a bummer if they decided to be a bit lazy in this regard and make it static.

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o6_1280.png

The character lighting and shading looks so much better in the new version here.

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o10_1280.png

Looks like the intro cutscene is based on a higher quality version than the one used in the Wii version.

FloatOn

With Resident Evil and MGS5 having a store page now... I just don't know how to feel about pc gaming anymore. It's a magical time where the best of both worlds exist (pc and console style games being on a single platform).

C4rter

it's not even close to completion, but i don't think it'll be that cheap again for a looong time
81% and add to that another 50% from russia... its like 5$
the game was a kickstarter so i doubt they'll throw it in a bundle anytime soon

Hm I think I can resist for now.
This very high discount looks like some serious cash flow problems to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to stop development altogether some time from now.
If you read across the forums, the game is in development for a very long time (it was on Kickstarter before it came to Early Access) and the basic mechanic are still not really in the game. Too much is missing to have a truly enjoyable experience.

With Resident Evil and MGS5 having a store page now... I just don't know how to feel about pc gaming anymore. It's a magical time where the best of both worlds exist (pc and console style games being on a single platform).

It's a new utopia. One that console manufacturers would steal from us.

Never played any resident evil title. Wonder what to expect with this. Images are so small, why? But they give off a great atmosphere. Guess it'll be my first resident evil title. And to think I have so many titles to catch up after that. Has its advantages being late to the party.
Volume will be a timed exclusive to PS platforms for a month before the PC/Mac release.
Here's why
Makes sense. It sometimes is hard to grasp though whether a (timed) exclusive is "moneyhatted" or actually can only exist because of exclusivity-deals.
I mean, Tomb Raider seems more moneyhatted while with Remedy's games I am actually confident MS backing enables them.
With indie's it's a bit tricky. The thought that they actually need money/backing springs up quick. But when the game is timed only for a short time, it seems artificially delayed.
On the other hand, even here on Gaf - a "hardcore" place - there are many who belittle indies or are not even aware when they release or even exist. Console manufactures like MS/Sony/Nintendo can help indies massively in regards to visibility. They obviously don't do that of the kindness of their hearts. It's just another method of swaying consumers to their "side".
It's really a trade-off. I personally am fine with timed-exclusives, as long as they help out devs staying afloat and being able to continue making their kind of games. Wait time sucks though definitely. Anything over 6 months hurts. Wonder how long the witness and no man's sky are timed?
Full moneyhatted exclusivity for the sake of having larger bullet-points can die though.
Just time it. MGS will come what, one year late? It's okay, I have enough backlog for that or any other timed shenanigans really :)

fernandes

Yeah looks like Thomas Was Alone cards aren't happening.

That is unfortunate, I really wanted that badge, I love the game. It's not like it would take him that much time to just gather a few bits of art and submit them but I guess I'll have to understand.

Grief.exe

High-Resolution Environments - We've increased the resolution of the background environments by recreating them with a mix of high-res static images, plus animated 3D models.

They are using the last-gen promotional images, so maybe there is still hope to have rerendered original assets at the time of release.

That is unfortunate, I really wanted that badge, I love the game. It's not like it would take him that much time to just gather a few bits of art and submit them but I guess I'll have to understand.

The cards could literally just be colored squares. I doubt the entire thing would take more than a couple of hours.

JustLynx

Hm I think I can resist for now.
This very high discount looks like some serious cash flow problems to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to stop development altogether some time from now.
If you read across the forums, the game is in development for a very long time (it was on Kickstarter before it came to Early Access) and the basic mechanic are still not really in the game. Too much is missing to have a truly enjoyable experience.

well, i went for it and bought it, for 6$ it's a steal imo, and if it'll be pulled for steam or something, i'll be able to show it off :p
I loved the classic games as I said before and it does have some good reviews, I couldn't resist :p

Lomax

The cards could literally just be colored squares. I doubt the entire thing would take more than a couple of hours.

Yeah, and while it would only be a few cents per game to the developer, considering the number of bundles Thomas Was Alone was in, that could add up to a few thousand dollars which is nothing to sneeze at.

Makes sense. It sometimes is hard to grasp though whether a (timed) exclusive is "moneyhatted" or actually can only exist because of exclusivity-deals.
I mean, Tomb Raider seems more moneyhatted while with Remedy's games I am actually confident MS backing enables them.
With indie's it's a bit tricky. The thought that they actually need money/backing springs up quick. But when the game is timed only for a short time, it seems artificially delayed.
On the other hand, even here on Gaf - a "hardcore" place - there are many who belittle indies or are not even aware when they release or even exist. Console manufactures like MS/Sony/Nintendo can help indies massively in regards to visibility. They obviously don't do that of the kindness of their hearts. It's just another method of swaying consumers to their "side".
It's really a trade-off. I personally am fine with timed-exclusives, as long as they help out devs staying afloat and being able to continue making their kind of games. Wait time sucks though definitely. Anything over 6 months hurts. Wonder how long the witness and no man's sky are timed?
Full moneyhatted exclusivity for the sake of having larger bullet-points can die though.
Just time it. MGS will come what, one year late? It's okay, I have enough backlog for that or any other timed shenanigans really :)

I'm fine with timed exclusives so long as the developer benefits from it. After all, how many times do we deal with delayed PC releases for apparently no reason (looking at you Rockstar and Ubi)? So long as it comes out eventually, plus we usually end up with versions that include the DLC for free which is always nice.

Grief.exe

Never played any resident evil title. Wonder what to expect with this. Images are so small, why? But they give off a great atmosphere. Guess it'll be my first resident evil title.

Those are previous-gen promotional images Capcom has released previously. They emphasized that current-gen/PC images haven't been shown yet, so we can hold out hope.

They are so small to hide the upscale artifacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom