• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the flash bundle give you two copies of Electronic Super Joy? I redeemed the DLC first and received the game at the same time. I can't redeem the base game link now since it says I already own it.

Wok

WELL I'LL BE DAMNED

I was just minding my own business when BOOM!

RDLg1Ns.png

Internet really is not safe anymore. I totally miss the good old times when at worst you would be sexually harassed by some 30-something nerds pretending to be a teen girl.

Of course, as I am a man of strong ethical values, I accepted my fate and I'll sell those cards with my head held high.

I cannot accept this kind of gift. I would totally make an holy baikail and create a second clean Steam account. You made me very afraid, Jason! Thanks for the surprise, but it is too much for my little cat heart!

I've sent a few unlucky GAFers out there Bad Rats - and not a single one of you has redeemed them yet.

You know who you are. ;)

SolidSlowDove.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I cannot accept this kind of gift. I would totally make an holy baikail and create a second clean Steam account. You made me very afraid, Jason! Thanks for the surprise, but it is too much for my little cat heart!

lol no problem. I guess I should have known that a game where cats get killed by mice might not be appropriate. :)

EDIT: Thanks for the gift in return! This game looks kinda cool.

KingDirk

So any (non Bad Rats) must buys for this week? I'm picking up Rock of Ages and Woodle Tree for sure, and that Raetikon seems pretty cool too...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So any (non Bad Rats) must buys for this week? I'm picking up Rock of Ages and Woodle Tree for sure, and that Raetikon seems pretty cool too...

Woodle Tree Adventures is very not good.

I posted a review here:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/stumpo/recommended/299460/

First, I want to say that I understand that this is a game developed by a single person, I think it has some promise, and I absolutely support developers learning the ropes and trying to make it. So despite the fact that I can't recommend the game, I applaud the developer for his effort.

The game is a Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 3D Land style 3D platformer where the world is made up of a bunch of connected geometric objects. You're a tree. You can run, jump, swing a leaf to attack... and that's about it. The objective of each level is to get three water drops and get to the end of the level; there are also berries scattered around (around 100 berries per level or so). You don't need to collect berries to finish the game, but if you collect 200, 400, or 800 you can "upgrade" your leaf, at 850 you get a headband for your character which seems mostly cosmetic, and there's an optional hidden level at 600 berries. There are 6 main game levels plus the optional level. Each level takes about 8-10 minutes. Personally I 100%ed the game--that is to say beat all levels and unlocked all optional content or unlocks in-game--at 71 minutes.

The issue is that much of the core gameplay loop doesn't work very well. Your default walk speed is far too slow, your default run speed is far too fast to be controlled for precise jumps. The game also never tells you you can run, so, PRO-TIP: You can. Underwater, everything is too slow and the physics don't adjust at all besides movement speed. Jumping is not controlled very well and I frequently missed pretty easy jumps. There are clipping issues. There are almost-but-not-quite making a jump and getting stuck in the lip of geometry and having to jump again to get unstuck issues. There are also issues where you feel like you've picked up a berry but you aren't inside its hitbox, so you sort of wander back and forth until you pick it up. You almost never get good feedback--the "feel" of the game is a real problem.

When you die (you will, frequently, enemies AI is basic, many enemies are stationary, the rest move in fixed patterns, but clipping is generally poor and it's difficult to tell if you're going to hit an enemy when you swing your weapon), you respawn instantly either at the beginning of the level or at a checkpoint, but you can't see where the checkpoints are and in my experience they're rarely where they make sense to be; but because enemies and items don't respawn when you die, you basically run through an empty level until you get back to where you died.

The camera is the biggest problem. The camera angle is frequently no good; for example, in a 3D platformer the camera should never be directly on your level facing straight, because it ruins depth perception entirely. The camera should never be so close that it obscures the action, and yet it is. Worse, as you collect berries, the bag your character holds gets bigger and bigger, so the obstruction is actually worse at the end of levels than at the beginning. You should never have to run towards the camera and take leap-of-faith jumps to get to platforms unless there's some visual indication that you ought to.

It's an hour long game, so obviously if you want to play it, you'll deal with the frustration. But it's pretty rare that you're playing and something isn't going to be bugging you.

The music's composition is not bad (it is a little simple, and it's not really catchy), but the author chooses very very very chintzy, cheap sounding samples for almost every instrument. In particular there's some sort of harpsichord used as one of the main instruments and it sounds really terrible. Sound effects are rare, to the point that the game feels a little unfinished because there are times where you expect sounds and don't get them.

You can't quit the game from inside the game without doing an Alt+F4 or Apple+Q or whatever. There's no main menu to go back to. When you beat the game, it sits at the end of the credits section. This is very frustrating to me. There's also no Steam Cloud support, and although the game is multi-platform, achievements don't work on the Mac or Linux versions.

It's a pity because the graphic side of things is very good. The enemies and your character are cute. The visual style is simple but colourful, and reminds me favourably of Mario 64 or Super Mario 3d Land. There are lots of little touches in the animation. If I had to guess, the guy is probably an animator or an artist who made a game, rather than a programmer.

I don't want to dissuade the guy from continuing to make games and there are occasional hints of promise, but it comes off more as the kind of thing that would have been free online in the late 90s / early 00s, or the kind of thing that would be released on Desura. I am confident that before Steam changed the approval process to be more open last year, this game would not have seen release. Moreover, the dev is still actively patching the game, but a lot of what he's adding in seems to be stuff that would be typical of a 1.0 release, which makes it seem even more like a hobby project.

It's definitely an earnest effort and I hope the dev keeps trying, but I don't think it's /there/ and besides supporting the dev, I don't really feel like there's much to recommend here.

Humble Support said:
Runner2 redemption for the Rhythm Flash bundle is fixed, refresh your download page and you will have separate redemption for game and DLC.

Excellent.

I can confirm this is the case. They actually created 2 new keys for Runner2 base and ESJ base.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

140 -- MB-6A10F8AD356B804A - Taken by Mono
Electronic Super Joy: Groove CIty -- MB-E0FE4A87C70FF8EF - Taken by alr1ght

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for 140 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Electronic Super Joy: Groove CIty was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Mono

Money wasted, sadly. Somebody a while back posted a joke saying how great it was and I believed it. I'm consoling myself with the knowledge that it was basically free card money. =(

Oh no! :( I guess it's not so bad when you used your card money.

The game feels like an unfinished pre-pre-alpha mess, though. I couldn't even get through the first level because of how many times I fell through the world! The aesthetic is nice, though; I'll give it that.

Hugstable

Banned
Playing 100% Orange Juice this morning with Phoenix, Chariot and Joefu! and we had quite an interesting experience with the chickens killing us today to the point of where whoever killed the chicken won the game. This picture accurately represents our despair

KingDirk

Oh no! :( I guess it's not so bad when you used your card money.

The game feels like an unfinished pre-pre-alpha mess, though. I couldn't even get through the first level because of how many times I fell through the world! The aesthetic is nice, though; I'll give it that.

Like I said, live and learn. Are there any good 3d platformers on steam?

Vibranium

Banned
Many thanks to Steam user Dio, who randomly gifted me Tropico 4 off of the price mistake. I will be sending out some gifts in this thread in a while as a return thank you (not Bad Rats). I also have plans when REmake comes out on Steam.

Mono

Like I said, live and learn. Are there any good 3d platformers on steam?

Psychonauts is pretty great! It feels like playing through a really good cartoon and captured the feel of golden era of N64 3D platformers wonderfully.

Tiny and Big is also pretty fun, but it's less of a platformer and more about physics puzzles. It's short and has been on sale a lot recently, I think.

Beelzebubs

Reposting. It's the original Exceed. All these games were cheap but they all have cards.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Beelzebubs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Exceed -- MB-E78E01AC66C18B86 - Taken by Ruruja. 5 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros #2 -- MB-7F1BE4320C426D80 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Super Sanctum TD #2 -- MB-1DDD13202A9DF41F
Exceed #2 -- MB-E5B19047B84B9847 - Taken by alr1ght. 4 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros -- MB-E8AFB14C35E61A31
Super Sanctum TD -- MB-E5FE610C2643CBA4

t1408393527z1.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sono in Italia!

bought a madcatz arcade stick

So much win in two sentences

Lomax

I remember early in my steam life I saw Bad Rats on sale really cheap and thought it looked sort of interesting for something cheap, and I almost bought it. Boy was I glad later when I found out what a bullet I had dodged.

Not Bat Rats, I swear.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Game -- MB-AAF071EF2F10D874 - Taken by derExperte. 20 entrants total.
Not Bad Rats, but still poop.

t1408389627z1.png

The_Monk

Finished the 4th Episode of The Walking Dead Season 2. Loved it! Can't wait for the final episode, things are really harsh.

By the way, I asked it before but I don't believe anyone answered. Did I miss any sort of info regarding The Wolf Among Us getting some DLC (like 400 Days from TWD S1)?

MattyG

Banned
Do you guys think Insurgency is going to go on sale again any time soon? I missed the last one, and I'm having a really hard time choosing what game I want to buy between this and The Forest. I feel like there's more content and potential playtime in Insurgency, but The Forest is suuuch a cool concept.

Jawmuncher

Playing 100% Orange Juice this morning with Phoenix, Chariot and Joefu! and we had quite an interesting experience with the chickens killing us today to the point of where whoever killed the chicken won the game. This picture accurately represents our despair

Did he wake you up asking who you were?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom