• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The ingame FPS limiter doesn't work?

For what ever reason in game limiters don't achieve the same frame consistency as Rivatuner does. Durante actually mentioned this in a Witcher 3 article he did for PC gamer when it came out. He had charts showing the effect and everything.

rtcn63

MD on a GTX 670 - low/off settings for everything but textures and level of detail. Locked 30fps (I think) for a more consistent experience. The game runs fucking hot. I'm thinking about upping my air conditioner settings during play.

Only one crash so far in the prologue mission, but there was some serious lag during the Prague walk.

Gameplay-wise - enjoyable, but it feels dated in a lot of minor ways. Save-scumming is recommended on "This is Deus Ex" difficulty although it does hurt immersion (you can rely on autosave checkpoints during missions). There are too many objects you can interact with, most of of which are useless. Makes it harder to find items you actually need.

The objective marker can be shit. There's at least one early side mission that points the location of one NPC you have to talk to, but not the other.

KingKong

they really love this type of shot don't they

ss_494051671ecd39aef7f8a6b6b01b0a1eccc2f34f.1920x1080.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I forget if I went into NG+ or not in anticipation of the DLC... I think I did, saying to myself "aw fuck it the DLC is months away and by then ill have finished it again"

...turns out I never touched the game again so /welp

Just ordered Singularity and Dead Rising on Steam.

ordered?

_machine

In quickly browsing the PC Performance thread, it seems there are a few unoptimized settings like MSAA.
MSAA is not generally not "unoptimized" in a deferred renderer, so there's likely nothing to be fixed. It just is an extremely power hungry way of dealing with aliasing when run in a deferred render and not nearly as effective as it is for a forward renderer.

It's a clear showcase why developers are probably better off not having very high-end features / scaling, because even though mentioned it in their forums (http://steamcommunity.com/app/337000/discussions/0/355043117525800870/) the culture around PC gaming doesn't seem to be fit with dealing with it well. It's more of a future-proof setting than anything, but if the backlash is this strong then I as a developer would never greenlight a enthusiast setting like that.

Sarcasm

I forget if I went into NG+ or not in anticipation of the DLC... I think I did, saying to myself "aw fuck it the DLC is months away and by then ill have finished it again"

...turns out I never touched the game again so /welp

ordered?

I planned for this, also asked for it.

dssaveszubkd.png

Grief.exe

Good games. Dying to go back to DR1 on PC. Wonder how well it holds up. One of my favourite (Xbox) games ever.

One of my favorite Xbox games as well, I think it should hold up well.

Bought.

Your post made me buy Singularity..

and Mafia 3 and Klocki and Hooks

Nice.

MSAA is not generally not "unoptimized" in a deferred render, so there's likely nothing to be fixed. It just is an extremely power hungry way of dealing with aliasing when run in a deferred render and not nearly as effective as it is for a forward renderer.

It's a clear showcase why developers are probably better off not having very high-end features / scaling, because even though mentioned it in their forums (http://steamcommunity.com/app/337000/discussions/0/355043117525800870/) the culture around PC gaming doesn't seem to be fit with dealing with it well. It's more of a future-proof setting than anything, but if the backlash is this strong then I as a developer would never greenlit a enthusiast setting like that.

I see, and I completely agree. The PC community has largely become too ignorant to be able to handle the depth they are given.

Ludens

Banned
I'm ready for Obduction, finally a game which will challenge me. I hope it's like Riven and not like Myst 4 anyway, got stucked on that monkey music puzzle for one week, on the spider chair for 5 days.

I planned for this, also asked for it.

dssaveszubkd.png

You followed my hint.

One of my favorite Xbox games as well, I think it should hold up well.

Bought.

Nice.

I see, and I completely agree. The PC community has largely become too ignorant to be able to handle the depth they are given.

Let's be fair. It'd be easier for devs to just rename settings ultra and people would be happy this way :

Grief.exe

Speaking of Steamspy, No Man's Sky approaching 800,000 sales.

I would be curious to find out what their refund rate was. Possibly between 10-20%, which would put them approaching 1 million sales.

Let's be fair. It'd be easier for devs to just rename settings ultra and people would be happy this way :

I don't think that would fix the issue as people just put things on max then blame the developers unilaterally for poor performance.

It's ignorance.

And here I am without a decent rig. Dammit.

I'm getting increasingly confused as to whether my rig is decent or not. The number of SKUs these days is positively baffling.

Edit: And according to these benchmark lists, my CPU doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Obduction. Welp, I knew that day would come, seeing as I got this computer in 2009.

Monooboe

GOG Connect doesn't seem to be going too well

How so? I mean how did it fail, in attracting new custmers?

Always felt to me just as a thing for existing customers, making them feel more and more that GOG was a legimate game library. For me they succeeded in that, because I wouldn't mind buing a game there if it was cheaper than Steam.

Nzyme32

Civilization VI: Limited Quantity ‘25th Anniversary Edition’ Revealed
24 AUGUST - HINKLE2K

We’re happy to announce the Civilization VI “25th Anniversary Edition,” a custom bundle designed to celebrate the incredible legacy of Firaxis Games’ strategy series as well as the latest installment in the series, Civilization VI. We’re only able to produce this physical bundle in a limited quantity, so act now to secure yours before it’s too late!

bf2705f171cde65466c6a63908fbafaa7e1f7646.jpg

You can pre-order the Civilization VI “25th Anniversary Edition” starting today for $89.99 USD/£79.99. Contents include:
  • Full Civilization VI Game and all Bonus Digital Content found in the Digital Deluxe Edition*
  • Aztec Civilization Pack Pre-Order Bonus**[civilization.com]
  • Civilization Through the Years 100-Page Hardcover Art Book
  • Exclusive 25th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Set with Display Case
*Bonus Digital Content includes the 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack and access to four post-launch DLC packs that will add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders for a bundled discount. Individual DLC may be sold separately. If you purchase the 25th Anniversary Edition or the Digital Deluxe Edition, do not also purchase these standalone packs, as you will be charged for them.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Not good enough for me unfortunately. £12.99 per month to rent games isn't particularly good enough when they are so old that it may well be more justifiable to buy the games and PS3. More to the point, latency, resolution and bitrate issues are not great to have.

I was hoping I could rent individual games

Teggy

I haven't bought an IndieGala bundle since March. I don't know if that speaks more to me being more disciplined or to them having crappy bundles.

SSPssp

Civilization VI: Limited Quantity ‘25th Anniversary Edition’ Revealed
24 AUGUST - HINKLE2K

We’re happy to announce the Civilization VI “25th Anniversary Edition,” a custom bundle designed to celebrate the incredible legacy of Firaxis Games’ strategy series as well as the latest installment in the series, Civilization VI. We’re only able to produce this physical bundle in a limited quantity, so act now to secure yours before it’s too late!

bf2705f171cde65466c6a63908fbafaa7e1f7646.jpg

You can pre-order the Civilization VI “25th Anniversary Edition” starting today for $89.99 USD/£79.99. Contents include:
  • Full Civilization VI Game and all Bonus Digital Content found in the Digital Deluxe Edition*
  • Aztec Civilization Pack Pre-Order Bonus**[civilization.com]
  • Civilization Through the Years 100-Page Hardcover Art Book
  • Exclusive 25th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Set with Display Case
*Bonus Digital Content includes the 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack and access to four post-launch DLC packs that will add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders for a bundled discount. Individual DLC may be sold separately. If you purchase the 25th Anniversary Edition or the Digital Deluxe Edition, do not also purchase these standalone packs, as you will be charged for them.

Thanks for the news! I ran to check bestbuy and they don't have it but Amazon does: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KP4ZYGK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You get 20% off if you have Prime, but I'm going to switch over to Bestbuy if I can since I have credit. Also, no release date delivery on Amazon. :( Hope that changes.

derExperte

I haven't bought an IndieGala bundle since March. I don't know if that speaks more to me being more disciplined or to them having crappy bundles.

Crappy bundles mostly. But this one isn't bad, RFLEX for example is worth a try if you enjoy frustrating twitchy reaction tests with a great soundtrack. Still trying to beat the easiest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom