• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i remember buying something during a sale that had a similar coupon.. So i'm wondering where in amazon does it show up, or do i have to dig through my email?
I dunno. I just went to buy it and saw that it had been applied. You can click on buy and download then back out without any issues.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i remember buying something during a sale that had a similar coupon.. So i'm wondering where in amazon does it show up, or do i have to dig through my email?

It's not a coupon but rather credit that's applied automatically to any applicable orders. If you want to know if you have any, simply attempt to buy a 2K game or search your inbox for "Your Amazon.com Promotional Credit".

Tektonic

It's not a coupon but rather credit that's applied automatically to any applicable orders. If you want to know if you have any, simply attempt to buy a 2K game or search your inbox for "Your Amazon.com Promotional Credit".

thanks! i was searching for coupon, not credit.

I used it:
Subtotal of Items: $29.99
Discounts/Promotions - $5.00

JaseC

yeah, it is a little bit complicated.

It's less complicated and more silly. While you can view your promotional credit across Amazon's various departments, there's no further breakdown, so short of looking through your inbox and doing the maths yourself, you've no idea how much of your, say, $250 of games/software credit is for F2P junk versus 2K games.

JaseC

Just finished Max Payne 3 tonight. Can't believe I didn't play it until now. It's an epic shooting gallery.

It's a solid TPS, mechanically, despite Euphoria getting in the way more often than it ought to (this didn't bother me as much as it did others). I just wish the cutscenes were skippable, although having said that it's been about 2 years since I've played the game at all, so if I were to play through it once more I probably wouldn't mind sitting through them again.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Frank Jaeger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Frank Jaeger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

FTL -- MB-511A1467F58F1B9D - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.

t1409299705z1.png

I have a bunch of stuff to give away, but have to find the time to make a list! My birthday is comming, so that might be a good day!

It's a solid TPS, mechanically, despite Euphoria getting in the way more often than it ought to (this didn't bother me as much as it did others). I just wish the cutscenes were skippable, although having said that it's been about 2 years since I've played the game at all, so if I were to play through it once more I probably wouldn't mind sitting through them again.

Most of them have been patched to be skippable, last I played. Was still annoying though, because how it places you in the middle of happenings. Thus I stopped skipping them.

(And ultimately stopped playing it altogether for that and other various reasons)

milena87

Just finished Max Payne 3 tonight. Can't believe I didn't play it until now. It's an epic shooting gallery.

I should try to play through this again some day. I just need to find the willpower to watch all those cutscenes.

I will never understand the decision to ditch the glorious comics...

rostocker

MP3 has a totally different style than MP1+2, but I really liked. The shooting was good, the story is interessting. But I didn't liked the multiplayer.

zkylon

zkylewd
damn i can't remember who was it here that told me beyond two souls got better at the last hour but i guess we'll have to agree to disagree cos i think it was actually all kinds of terrible lol

david cage, i love your insane mind and your ability to somehow make people fund your stupid games, but damn if this one wasn't an absolute trainwreck :/

still gonna play whatever you put out next but man pls don't ever write your own games ever again

lol i don't know what that franchise even is anymore

JaseC

Most of them have been patched to be skippable, last I played. Was still annoying though, because how it places you in the middle of happenings. Thus I stopped skipping them.

(And ultimately stopped playing it altogether for that and other various reasons)

I recall R* patching in the ability to skip the real-time cutscenes, but not the pre-rendered ones. If you can now skip the latter once the level has actually loaded (instead of the game insisting otherwise until the very last millisecond) then that's great and exactly what should have been the case in the first place.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is that even possible after what happened in IV?

i don't think canon is something volition will be caring too much about

i hope they add variety in environments in sr5 and tone it down a bit tbh

like i think it would've been much more absurd to actually play the usa president and like take neighborhoods from terrorist, aliens, illegal immigrants, whatever rather than this whole single thing of being in the matrix or whatever

like random shit isn't as funny when everything is random, which is why i enjoyed the humor much better in sr3

DocSeuss

Trying to sleep, saw this, noticed I'd received 2 promo credits for NBA2K14 specifically (they are limited to that game and that game alone).

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (DocSeuss, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
NBA 2K14 -- MB-0DC20F393A0723CA - Taken by saunderez. 19 entrants total.

t1409310865z1.png

So that's 112.

Anywho, to check credit value, go here. Hit "enter your code." You'll see how much credit value you have.

Oh man, wait, I have more!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (DocSeuss, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Defense Grid -- MB-549CA94FC9196227 - Taken by Emperor_EL. 8 entrants total.
Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle -- MB-13FA24AE3E8792E3 - Taken by ScreamingTrees. 7 entrants total.
Defense Grid: Containment -- MB-D00401D342DB69E5 - Taken by derExperte. 5 entrants total.

t1409387065z1.png

Okay, okay. Done.

I think.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I really enjoyed Saints Row The Third, much more than I thought I would, and then when Saints Row IV went balls-to-the-wall crazy with superpowers I thought "where can they go from here?", guess we know now! Will be interesting to see if they keep the powers gameplay from IV or not. I've been working my way through IV after getting the GOTC a while back, feels a little more of a slog at the moment but I can't tell if that's just because I keep doing the side missions rather than moving the real story along.

saunderez

i don't think canon is something volition will be caring too much about

i hope they add variety in environments in sr5 and tone it down a bit tbh

like i think it would've been much more absurd to actually play the usa president and like take neighborhoods from terrorist, aliens, illegal immigrants, whatever rather than this whole single thing of being in the matrix or whatever

like random shit isn't as funny when everything is random, which is why i enjoyed the humor much better in sr3

Yeah I want them to dial it all the way back to SR2 levels. I enjoyed 3 and 4, but 2 is the pinnacle of the series to me, the perfect mix of wacky and realistic.

Anything is possible now in a SR game.

I don't really want it to be. I would rather the series return to it's roots, it was awesome when it was all gangs and stuff. I miss that.

I recall R* patching in the ability to skip the real-time cutscenes, but not the pre-rendered ones. If you can now skip the latter once the level has actually loaded (instead of the game insisting otherwise until the very last millisecond) then that's great and exactly what should have been the case in the first place.

Hmm, yeah, I don't think I was able to skip the opening credits, but for ex the one in the terrace bar yes. I'm not going to go back and check it though haha.

DocSeuss

Yeah I want them to dial it all the way back to SR2 levels. I enjoyed 3 and 4, but 2 is the pinnacle of the series to me, the perfect mix of wacky and realistic.

I don't really want it to be. I would rather the series return to it's roots, it was awesome when it was all gangs and stuff. I miss that.

Let's not forget that Saints Row 2's world also just feels more naturalistic somehow, as if it's a real place, and Steelport never did.

Arthea

I still can't wrap my head around an answer Mono got. Fraud? what fraud? shouldn't they elaborate? or is it automated response? volvo, please

edited: also wb, doc

saunderez

Let's not forget that Saints Row 2's world also just feels more naturalistic somehow, as if it's a real place, and Steelport never did.

Exactly. SR2 is the best GTA clone theres ever been. Sure it was janky, but in so many ways it was better than the GTAs of the time. If you made me choose between GTAIV and SR2 I'm picking SR2. SR3/4 vs GTAV and it's not even a contest though, GTAV wins hands down.

milena87

I won't deny that I loved the superpowers in SRIV, mostly because I hate driving around in sandboxes games for hours, but maybe they could find a way to tone down things a bit and still create interesting gameplay mechanics.

I don't think they're going to do this for SRV, though. They'll probably create something even crazier.

saunderez

I won't deny that I loved the superpowers in SRIV, mostly because I hate driving around in sandboxes games for hours, but maybe they could find a way to tone down things a bit and still create interesting gameplay mechanics.

I don't think they're going to do this for SRV, though. They'll probably create something even crazier.

The superpowers were a great novelty, don't get me wrong, but for me at least Infamous fills that niche and does a far more consistent job of it than SRIV ever did. It's hard to explain, but to me SRIV everything just felt gamey (which I guess is fitting considering the simulation side of things) whereas in Second Son I feel like a true super hero (well villain coz screw being good in a game called Infamous).

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i think it's important to tone it down a bit because i think contrast is important to comedy. like you need something that's normal so crazy shit looks silly in comparison

imo sr3 was pretty good at that, i didn't find sr2 to be that funny tbh but i haven't played it in like forever so memory might be failing me.

sr4 wasn't terrible or anything but it felt safe as fuck to me and very unexciting too. yeah stan bush and being the president (and some weird character import bug that made my boss be topless during the first part for some reason made everything a lot more bizarre lol) is pretty hilarious but then there's so much that's just references that's just not for me

like getting inside a cardboard box is not funny, it's just namedropping another game that's actually funny :/

Arthea

I don't think that's a good idea, the best thing about SR4 is craziness and overthetopness of it all!

saunderez

yeah i think it's important to tone it down a bit because i think contrast is important to comedy. like you need something that's normal so crazy shit looks silly in comparison

imo sr3 was pretty good at that, i didn't find sr2 to be that funny tbh but i haven't played it in like forever so memory might be failing me.

I'd be content with a SR3 level game. It was definitely a good game too, had some amazing moments and it was grounded just enough that the wackiness still felt wacky. SR2 wasn't really that laugh out loud funny but it had a lot of wacky moments and the world in general was messed up with stuff like Freckle Bitches and the drive through churches that reduced your wanted level. The real joy of SR2 to me (and SR1 to an extent) was taking over the city and taking out the gangs. I don't know why but it was a simple pleasure I really missed in 4.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
would love some good GMG sales

sigh

I dumped all my GMG credit into Wolfenstein TNO when that went on sale, great decision. Such a good game, I had no idea. Got it based off the recommendations here in Steam-GAF, which just goes to show you guys know good games
and bad rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom